Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

frozenphil posted:

Aw, man. See what happens when all this negativity gets brought in here? Everyone just chill and watch what happens when you stick a Procharger at 7psi on a Coyote 5.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJqFAOoSHM&hd=1

10.68 @ 128

I see your procharger and raise you a turbo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04V_f9hOCCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

mcmagic posted:

Can any of you guys who have bought Mustangs recently share how much you were able to wrangle off of MSRP for the cars?

$3k off MSRP for my Shelby. I think I snuck in under the radar and hit them with a head shot when I told them I'd be paying cash. It visibly reeled the sales guy.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Can any of you guys who have bought Mustangs recently share how much you were able to wrangle off of MSRP for the cars?

I paid $500 over invoice for mine (took advantage of my Costco membership). If you don't have one, the $50 membership will save you a ton of time and money -- no haggling.. just fill out the form on their site, get a call within minutes (my dealer called me 2 minutes after I pressed submit), go to the dealer and fill out the paperwork and (if the car is already on the lot) drive home.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I saw my first BOSS 302 in the wild today; it was Competition Orange and boy did it sound sexy.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

mcmagic posted:

6000 below MSRP.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Posted in stupid questions thread to no avail, figured I'd try here.

My best friend has a 2001 V6 Ford Mustang and suddenly the airbag light is blinking an error code. It looks like 3 blinks, short pause, 3 blinks, then long pause. We're guessing this is a 33.

From poking around on the internet, there was mention of the airbag light being triggered by the battery being under 8 volts, which happened when his battery finally completely died, and then it was replaced a month ago. The light started appearing around that time and after he replaced the battery it's been intermittent.

I've found reference to code 33 being "passenger air bag - open circuit or high resistance" but I've found no info on what to do or how to troubleshoot this.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

About 4000 below MSRP. (for a GT Premium automatic, in December) This included about 1500 in rebates.

Now that the 12's are out, I would expect you could do better on '11s, but selection is probably pretty limited now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Rontalvos posted:

Posted in stupid questions thread to no avail, figured I'd try here.

My best friend has a 2001 V6 Ford Mustang and suddenly the airbag light is blinking an error code. It looks like 3 blinks, short pause, 3 blinks, then long pause. We're guessing this is a 33.

From poking around on the internet, there was mention of the airbag light being triggered by the battery being under 8 volts, which happened when his battery finally completely died, and then it was replaced a month ago. The light started appearing around that time and after he replaced the battery it's been intermittent.

I've found reference to code 33 being "passenger air bag - open circuit or high resistance" but I've found no info on what to do or how to troubleshoot this.

See if you can get someone to clear the code for you.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

See if you can get someone to clear the code for you.

It's an airbag code which cannot be read or cleared by a normal ODBII code reader (which I have) and has its own separate warning light.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lovely. What are the odds that the only way to clear it is to replace something that costs a few thousand dollars?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Lovely. What are the odds that the only way to clear it is to replace something that costs a few thousand dollars?

I have no idea, that's why I'm trying to ask the internet for help.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
From what I've been seeing it looks like airbag Code 33 is related to the seatbelt pretensioners. The only reference I've seen to this though is from a vehicle that has been in a crash and the pretensioners blew.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ordered a 2012 V6 Premium today in Lava Red with the electronics pack. Is it 4-6 weeks already?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Ordered a 2012 V6 Premium today in Lava Red with the electronics pack. Is it 4-6 weeks already?

Great color and nice car, you'll love it. I waited 9 weeks(ordered late July, received early October) for my Mustang and the biggest variable is where you bought it. Smaller dealers have less allocations so it might be 4 weeks before you even get a VIN and a build date shortly after. Keep on top of the dealership.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I see your procharger and raise you a turbo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04V_f9hOCCU

Found this video from that link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1rc3WZZsrU&feature=fvwrel

It would probably look totally badass, but I can't tell because of the lovely camera angles and faggy baller music.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kronix posted:

Great color and nice car, you'll love it. I waited 9 weeks(ordered late July, received early October) for my Mustang and the biggest variable is where you bought it. Smaller dealers have less allocations so it might be 4 weeks before you even get a VIN and a build date shortly after. Keep on top of the dealership.

That actually makes me feel better since I got it from the largest ford dealer in NJ...

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

TurboLuvah posted:

It would probably look totally badass, but I can't tell because of the lovely camera angles and faggy baller music.

youtube posted:

...sounds like Pee Wee Herman playing a kazoo with his rear end.

What the gently caress. Why can't people that film nice cars just leave the original audio in?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Throatwarbler posted:

Weird thing is, I think all trim levels have this. I was wondering what was up with it on my Shelby (since my hood isn't shaped like that I never made the connection) but now I know. Thank you, Internet!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

TurboLuvah posted:

Found this video from that link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1rc3WZZsrU&feature=fvwrel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlawrencephotography/4804148236/
Much better

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Nice. What kind of care does a matte car need? I imagine the cheapest way to mate a car is to use vinyl wraps, how well would that stand up to time and the elements?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

oRenj9 posted:

Nice. What kind of care does a matte car need? I imagine the cheapest way to mate a car is to use vinyl wraps, how well would that stand up to time and the elements?

Supposedly it will do 3-5 years. I dont think it needs much care at all. Probably functions a lot like a clear coat.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-project-matte-black-vinyl-wrap-139713.html

guy seems to know his stuff

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

optikalus posted:

I paid $500 over invoice for mine (took advantage of my Costco membership). If you don't have one, the $50 membership will save you a ton of time and money -- no haggling.. just fill out the form on their site, get a call within minutes (my dealer called me 2 minutes after I pressed submit), go to the dealer and fill out the paperwork and (if the car is already on the lot) drive home.

Think it would be cheaper to go Costco route or haggle? Didn't realize Costco offered this.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well since costco just does the haggling for you, you could haggle lower. Costco is good for cars that are in short supply since the dealer agrees to the price on several cars not just the hot cars. I was still able to get a cheaper price on a Prius then costco and at the time gas was $4 a gallon so they were hot, but not as hot as the radioactive ones you can buy now. (Is it too soon for Japan disaster jokes)? I hope AFLAC doesn't ban me.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
After driving SUVs for the past 8 years, I finally moved out of an area where I'd drive up to the mountains to snowboard every other weekend and am now in the land of sun (California). As such, I've decided to get a convertible, and after test driving a few (BMW 335i, Lexus is250/is350, Nissan 350z, Chevy Camaro), I think I like the Ford Mustang the best. I've been hunting around online for more info and I've got a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to online, but I'm hoping people here can answer:
  • Ford's website lists the 2012 Mustang, but I'm having trouble finding any solid reviews for the 2012 (other than the Boss) or comparisons between the 2012 and the 2011. I saw the 2011's came out in March 2010, so I'm guessing the 2012's are just coming out now which is why information is hard to find. My big question would be - what's the difference between the 2011 and the 2012 models?
  • Is there a list of exactly what comes in the premium package? I've gotten a rough sense of it from looking on Ford's site and Edmund's, but no one explicitly lists "here's what the premium package gives you" as far as I can tell.
  • Is it possible to get Sync without getting the premium package?
  • Any recommended reviews to read comparing the v6 and the GT? I haven't test driven a GT yet, and I'm wondering if the extra power is worth it (especially because I drive automatic, though I am not completely opposed to learning stick, I prefer auto). I've googled around and read some stuff on forums, but it's mostly folks chatting about the two. I'm having a hard time finding a reputable reviewer comparing how they handle.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Fitret posted:

• Ford's website lists the 2012 Mustang, but I'm having trouble finding any solid reviews for the 2012 (other than the Boss) or comparisons between the 2012 and the 2011. I saw the 2011's came out in March 2010, so I'm guessing the 2012's are just coming out now which is why information is hard to find. My big question would be - what's the difference between the 2011 and the 2012 models?
  • Is there a list of exactly what comes in the premium package? I've gotten a rough sense of it from looking on Ford's site and Edmund's, but no one explicitly lists "here's what the premium package gives you" as far as I can tell.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Here's a PDF of the 2012 order guide, which should answer all this.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Presto posted:

Here's a PDF of the 2012 order guide, which should answer all this.

You are amazing. I've been hunting around on google for like 2 hours for something like this. Thanks!

Edit: Doesn't quite answer when the 2012 became available, or how the GT handles compared to the V6, but this is still quite useful. From everything I've seen, it's impossible to get anything in the premium package by itself, correct? I don't really want leather seats because I hate how hot they get in the summer, but I do want a better sound system and Sync. :(

Fitret fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 27, 2011

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Fitret posted:

I've been hunting around online for more info and I've got a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to online, but I'm hoping people here can answer:
  • Any recommended reviews to read comparing the v6 and the GT? I haven't test driven a GT yet, and I'm wondering if the extra power is worth it (especially because I drive automatic, though I am not completely opposed to learning stick, I prefer auto). I've googled around and read some stuff on forums, but it's mostly folks chatting about the two. I'm having a hard time finding a reputable reviewer comparing how they handle.

The 2012 is mostly identical to the 2011, with a few minor option changes (like backup sensors in the rear bumper, changes to the sunvisor mirrors, and other really minor stuff). The 2012s are just coming out now (or recently) so depending on your location, there can be limited selection. The 2011s are mostly gone, and the 2012s are just coming in. Due to the lack of changes, any reviews of the 2011 Mustang will pretty much hold for the 2012 models. There are lots of 2011 reviews online for both V6 and V8, which should give you an idea about the handling and performance. Car and Driver's review of the V6 Mustang (with optional 19" wheels and Pirelli tires) was very complimentary on it's road handling behavior but at the same time said it did poorly in their lane-change test.

I don't think you can get the audio upgrades and Sync without the premium package, which comes with leather seats, fancier trim, and more power goodies. Dont'cha love how options are bundled on new cars?

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Number_6 posted:

The 2012 is mostly identical to the 2011, with a few minor option changes (like backup sensors in the rear bumper, changes to the sunvisor mirrors, and other really minor stuff). The 2012s are just coming out now (or recently) so depending on your location, there can be limited selection. The 2011s are mostly gone, and the 2012s are just coming in. Due to the lack of changes, any reviews of the 2011 Mustang will pretty much hold for the 2012 models. There are lots of 2011 reviews online for both V6 and V8, which should give you an idea about the handling and performance. Car and Driver's review of the V6 Mustang (with optional 19" wheels and Pirelli tires) was very complimentary on it's road handling behavior but at the same time said it did poorly in their lane-change test.

I don't think you can get the audio upgrades and Sync without the premium package, which comes with leather seats, fancier trim, and more power goodies. Dont'cha love how options are bundled on new cars?

Yeah, I understand how they bundle in all of the fancy trim stuff with the meaningful upgrades, but I hate that you can't choose your seats :( Thanks for the info, though!

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I ordered an 11 a while ago (a base GT). You can upgrade the stereo to shaker 500 or 1000 from the base stereo (I did not). You are correct that Sync is only available with the premium pkg.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Fitret posted:

You are amazing. I've been hunting around on google for like 2 hours for something like this. Thanks!
Can't take credit. Frozenphil posted it a while ago.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fitret posted:

Yeah, I understand how they bundle in all of the fancy trim stuff with the meaningful upgrades, but I hate that you can't choose your seats :( Thanks for the info, though!

You can always get your seats reupholstered, and any dealership worth a crap will do it for you.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

A.o.D. posted:

You can always get your seats reupholstered, and any dealership worth a crap will do it for you.

I'd also be willing to bet the dealer would switch out the leather seats for cloth at no charge.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I'd also be willing to bet the dealer would switch out the leather seats for cloth at no charge.

This is truth, when I was shopping the dealership was willing to put leather in a base GT for me for like $900 when I told them I didn't want a base GT they had on the lot. As long as you don't get a crazy interior color I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kronix posted:

This is truth, when I was shopping the dealership was willing to put leather in a base GT for me for like $900 when I told them I didn't want a base GT they had on the lot. As long as you don't get a crazy interior color I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

That's actually awesome to hear. I'm in the same position as Number_6, I want the upgraded stereo but not the leather seats. I was thinking I would have the splurge for the Recaros in order to get cloth seats.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

oRenj9 posted:

That's actually awesome to hear. I'm in the same position as Number_6, I want the upgraded stereo but not the leather seats. I was thinking I would have the splurge for the Recaros in order to get cloth seats.

It's one of those things that a lot of people don't realize they can get the dealer to do. When I bought an LX Accord a few years ago the Honda dealer offered to put leather in it for $500.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Radiohead71 posted:

I ordered an 11 a while ago (a base GT). You can upgrade the stereo to shaker 500 or 1000 from the base stereo (I did not). You are correct that Sync is only available with the premium pkg.

While this may be possible, I'll just chime and and say, on Ford's website, using the build-your-own feature for the 2012, you can't do it. If you pick the base GT it locks out the other stereo options.

That being said, the Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 don't exactly get rave reviews from many owners on Mustang forums. I have the Shaker 500 and it's "good enough" for me, but many owners say to just get the base stereo and go aftermarket.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Number_6 posted:

While this may be possible, I'll just chime and and say, on Ford's website, using the build-your-own feature for the 2012, you can't do it. If you pick the base GT it locks out the other stereo options.

That being said, the Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 don't exactly get rave reviews from many owners on Mustang forums. I have the Shaker 500 and it's "good enough" for me, but many owners say to just get the base stereo and go aftermarket.

Yeah, I decided to go this route. I originally really wanted Sync, but I don't think it's music integration features are worth the extra cost, and it's not like I'm going to talk on my phone in a convertible often! I'll get the standard package for now and if I decide I want to upgrade the stereo, start looking into aftermarket options. Thanks for all of the help, I can't wait to get my car!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Pretty sure doing aftermarket in these cars is stupidly expensive. Just the replacement dash kit is like $300. gently caress that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-2011-FORD-MUSTANG-RADIO-DASH-KIT-COMBO-99-5823CH-/140428571297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b231f2a1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010...5fAudioQ5fVideo

shaker systems still suck huge amounts of dick though. Kind of screwed either way.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

It's a shame Ford doesn't offer their butt coolers on the Mustang. I could see them being a popular option on convertibles with leather seats.

I've driven a few Lincolns with them, and the sensation of cool air wafting up your balls/rear end is quite refreshing on a hot summer day.