Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

Pretty sure doing aftermarket in these cars is stupidly expensive. Just the replacement dash kit is like $300. gently caress that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-2011-FORD-MUSTANG-RADIO-DASH-KIT-COMBO-99-5823CH-/140428571297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b231f2a1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010...5fAudioQ5fVideo

shaker systems still suck huge amounts of dick though. Kind of screwed either way.

They also look terribly out of place. I wish there were a decent option for aftermarket systems but there's really nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SouthLAnd posted:

It's a shame Ford doesn't offer their butt coolers on the Mustang. I could see them being a popular option on convertibles with leather seats.

I've driven a few Lincolns with them, and the sensation of cool air wafting up your balls/rear end is quite refreshing on a hot summer day.

I almost bought an LS because of this. Best improvement to cars since the wiper motor.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Elephanthead posted:

I almost bought an LS because of this. Best improvement to cars since the wiper motor.

For leather seats, agreed. But, I don't understand why people go gaga over (p)leather seats in cars. There is a lot more variety that you can get with cloth seats. They are cooler in the summer and hotter in the winter, and your rear end doesn't slide around in them nearly as much as with leather.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

oRenj9 posted:

For leather seats, agreed. But, I don't understand why people go gaga over (p)leather seats in cars. There is a lot more variety that you can get with cloth seats. They are cooler in the summer and hotter in the winter, and your rear end doesn't slide around in them nearly as much as with leather.

They're easier to clean unless you really gently caress something up. That's all I've got.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yo dawg

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Fitret posted:

Yeah, I decided to go this route. I originally really wanted Sync, but I don't think it's music integration features are worth the extra cost, and it's not like I'm going to talk on my phone in a convertible often! I'll get the standard package for now and if I decide I want to upgrade the stereo, start looking into aftermarket options. Thanks for all of the help, I can't wait to get my car!

Sync also does turn by turn navigation, voice command, and lots of other stuff FYI.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

RockSmart posted:

Sync also does turn by turn navigation, voice command, and lots of other stuff FYI.

Sync in my dad's '08 Focus is enough reason by itself to discount any other compact car from consideration. It's like an original iPod compared to a 64mb compact flash based MP3 player. You won't even know until you try to drive without it.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

Throatwarbler posted:

Yo dawg

Now he can rev while he revs.

Thanks to warmer weather I finally got around putting more parts in. I discovered that Ground Control sent me the wrong drat spring perches on their caster/camber plates. These front struts are a pain in the rear end to torque with my noodly arms.

TSW has some wheels out called the Nurburgring. Silly name aside they're very good wheels, around $250 for 18", forged. They look like the RTRs but come in either matte bronze or matte gunmetal. Definitely want a set of those, but grad school :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Throatwarbler posted:

Yo dawg

So is that a foxyote or a coyfox?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Does anyone have a recent mustang with the electronics package? Like it?

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
What about just aftermarket speakers? Or do I need a new dash in order to power / properly control/equalize different speakers?

RockSmart posted:

I have an Android phone, so while this is useful, I currently already have it. What I really wanted it for was voice command of music (I have a library of about 110 GB of music that I keep on a Zune in my car).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

My grandmother actually had an 03 or 04 V6 LS. I believe it had about 230hp, but the thing rode and handled amazingly. I would love to find an LS with the getrag 5-speed MT. Those cars were probably the best Lincolns you could buy since the Mark 7/8 series in terms of sheer bad-assery. On that note, I'm done going off-topic.

*EDIT* To the previous poster: I have a Taurus with one of those funky football shaped radio/HVAC clusters that is all electronic. There is no dash kit that will allow me to install an aftermarket head unit. The best investment I've made sound-wise consisted of four nice Infinity speakers and a JBL 4 channel amplifier. In my opinion, it sounds drat good, and my last SHO had way more aftermarket parts than my current one. So don't worry about not getting the Shaker system, you can probably do a lot better with just a minimal investment.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 29, 2011

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Throatwarbler posted:

Yo dawg

That's hot is what that is.

PT6A posted:

They're easier to clean unless you really gently caress something up. That's all I've got.

They don't trap odors or animal hair as much either.

Agreeing with the guy above me, replacing the speakers with some decent aftermarket ones will improve the sound quality very noticeably.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 29, 2011

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

mcmagic posted:

I love it. The navigation screen is as big as my iPad and it responds well to touch - not laggy or awkward. The screen resolution is also very good, even when you're not watching a DVD. All in all it was worth buying. The Sync is a nice feature that I just don't use often because of how little I drive the car, but nice nonetheless.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

SouthLAnd posted:

Those cars were probably the best Lincolns you could buy since the Mark 7/8 series in terms of sheer bad-assery.

Mclaren made some parts for the LS, including suspension bits. They are really rare now but they also built a few modified cars kinda like Saleen does with Mustangs. They had a concept they could never get running right that included the Jaguar supercharger on the v8.

quote:

*EDIT* To the previous poster: I have a Taurus with one of those funky football shaped radio/HVAC clusters that is all electronic. There is no dash kit that will allow me to install an aftermarket head unit.

Your google is weak, my child.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I love it. The navigation screen is as big as my iPad and it responds well to touch - not laggy or awkward. The screen resolution is also very good, even when you're not watching a DVD. All in all it was worth buying. The Sync is a nice feature that I just don't use often because of how little I drive the car, but nice nonetheless.

Good to hear. My mustang is gonna have it and it looked awesome. Just wanted to double check.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

frozenphil posted:

Your google is weak, my child.

I'm really not new to the internet. :(

When I said all electronic, I meant it had automatic climate control. I'm too lazy to find a picture, but basically behind the football of cars with this option (almost every 3rd gen SHO) is one giant PCB with the radio and climate functions tied together. I think one or two people have successfully managed to saw this board in half, rewire all the broken traces, and FOLD the radio portion of the board back onto itself to make room for a headunit. If you try to hook up the board with the radio portion completely removed, the HVAC defaults to full blast 90 degree defrost or something and won't function properly.

Metra has a kit for 2000-2003 models. I wonder if I could retrofit their climate controls into a custom oval football.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E3QS2Y...ASIN=B003E3QS2Y

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

SouthLAnd posted:

I'm really not new to the internet. :(

Mount it in the ash tray?
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/3660/14563

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

frozenphil posted:

Mount it in the ash tray?
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/3660/14563

I just can't bring myself to do it man. I like my ash tray, and the cubby hole there. Plus I just can't help but think of a TV sitting on another TV. Trailer style.

It's okay though. The transmission or the engine is going to fail spectacularly pretty soon, and after that I'm buying something slow, good on gas, and with 3 pedals.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Idle lope tunes are becoming the "in" thing it seems as Livernois has one coming out soon as well. Apparently everyone that offers a "cammed" tune is having issues with low speed bucking on automatic cars, but manual equipped versions are fine.

Offroad H-pipe and GT-500 mufflers sound pretty good with this setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cekjX2vCTvc&hd=1

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

SouthLAnd posted:

I just can't bring myself to do it man. I like my ash tray, and the cubby hole there. Plus I just can't help but think of a TV sitting on another TV. Trailer style.

It's okay though. The transmission or the engine is going to fail spectacularly pretty soon, and after that I'm buying something slow, good on gas, and with 3 pedals.

How do you parking brake turns if its got a foot brake?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A local dealer is getting a single Laguna Seca in the summer, and they happily told me it's gonna have a $5k markup on MSRP.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

frozenphil posted:

Mclaren made some parts for the LS, including suspension bits. They are really rare now but they also built a few modified cars kinda like Saleen does with Mustangs.

We had a Fox body Mclaren come through our auction a few months ago. It was kinda beat on but still surviving, and man it looked......80's.

Still not sure if it was the good 80's or not.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

A local dealer is getting a single Laguna Seca in the summer, and they happily told me it's gonna have a $5k markup on MSRP.

That's surprisingly reasonable. I'll just leave this image right here (sorry you have to click, it's a table breaker)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/birdman941/Stuff/IMG_0885.jpg

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

kronix posted:

That's surprisingly reasonable. I'll just leave this image right here (sorry you have to click, it's a table breaker)

loving :lol:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Idle lope tunes are becoming the "in" thing it seems as Livernois has one coming out soon as well.

When I first heard about this a few weeks ago, I thought the gimmick was cool on a one off car, but now I cant not believe anyone would want to tune their car to do this. This is the in an American equivalent of import cars with huge fart cannons. Its all noise with out any performance benefit and it will just piss off the neighbors.

If it was real cams with real lope noise then I would be all for it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kalvick posted:

Americans take fairgrounds cruising seriously. Retarded cam lope isn't enough, you need blower surge too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIALKZUnAc4

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

That's just a regular old GT500 too. Stupid people will pay it at first, and within a few months you'll be able to buy them at MSRP.

kalvick posted:

When I first heard about this a few weeks ago, I thought the gimmick was cool on a one off car, but now I cant not believe anyone would want to tune their car to do this. This is the in an American equivalent of import cars with huge fart cannons. Its all noise with out any performance benefit and it will just piss off the neighbors.

You shut your whore mouth! :mad: My first mods will be long tubes, Magnaflow competition catback, and a lope tune. gently caress da police!

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. It's really, really good. My buddy does carputer installs and gave me a lot of poo poo for going factory but it's just too good. Some features I like:

50 miles to empty, the navigation automatically shows you gas stations and prices along your route

travellink plays a sound and shows a popup if a wreck happens ahead on the road you're driving

ipod/bluetooth integration works really well, keeps track of my audiobook progress and resumes

voice command keeps me from driving off the road while I mess with it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

kronix posted:

Can't they just order one for you?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RockSmart posted:

Yeah. It's really, really good. My buddy does carputer installs and gave me a lot of poo poo for going factory but it's just too good. Some features I like:

50 miles to empty, the navigation automatically shows you gas stations and prices along your route

travellink plays a sound and shows a popup if a wreck happens ahead on the road you're driving

ipod/bluetooth integration works really well, keeps track of my audiobook progress and resumes

voice command keeps me from driving off the road while I mess with it

Do you pay for that sirius traffic service too?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

There's a badass thread over on yellow bullett with some of the biggest names in Ford performance posting in it drooling over George Klass' latest work; this beast:

How about 330ci mod motor, 12:1 compression, and 26psi from that 3.6L KenneBell liquid cooled twin screw? It's detuned to make 1400hp on C16.

Anyway, I know a few of you dig racing history and drama, so here's one of my favorite parts of the thread.

"I remember when we first brought the 4.6 Mod Motor Cougar out to Pomona to run in Comp Eliminator at the Winternats.

We filled out all the paperwork, listed the engine at 281-inches, and ran a 6-second ET in the first round of qualifying (it was a high 7-second Index at the time). I thought for a minute that WW III had broken out, with the number of NHRA tech guys that came to our pits, with their P&G pump in hand. They figured that we had 500 inches I guess. Anyway, their P&G pump did not have a provision to go down the tube to the spark plug hole, this was the very first Ford Mod Motor they had ever seen up close. John drove back to Accufab (our shop is close to Pomona) and MADE them an extension fitting (polished billet aluminum of course) so they could check the displacement of our engine, engraved it with "Property of NHRA Tech" or something like that and gave it to them. After it was proven to be the right size engine, the Chevy guys lined up, pissing and moaning, trying to get John thrown out. That's when John decided to just bomb the index, just litterally blow it to hell and gone. That REALLY pissed off the Bow Tie brigade, but the fans in the stands loved it. Everytime the car came to the line, the announcer would say, "Here kitty, kitty" (remember, it was a Cougar) and it would just whip the Chevy guys into a frenzy. They have tried to gently caress with the car in the pits. One time they kicked the block under the front tire away allowing the car to roll into the back of our pick-up truck. We never left the car alone in the pits after that."

John put the Ford mod motor on the performance map back in the early '90s with this car. In a time of 500ci, completely aftermarket, big block Chevies running high 7s in Comp Eliminator, his little turbo'ed 281ci mod motor was running bottom 6s with factory heads, intake, and cams.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Are those the same guys that were making like 1,100hp on a 4.6 DOHC with the stock bottom-end back in like 99/2000?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Q_res posted:

Are those the same guys that were making like 1,100hp on a 4.6 DOHC with the stock bottom-end back in like 99/2000?

1996. :laugh: They hurt a lot of feelings and made a lot of money grudge racing back in the day with that little 281ci piece.
John Mihovetz and the gang at Accufab know the mod motor better than anyone else in the world, which says a lot about their praise of the new Coyote 5.0 as the best engine Ford has ever made.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Can't they just order one for you?

I doubt it. From what I understand, the most any dealership is going to get is 1 or 2 if they're really lucky and they're not going to waste their allocation selling it for sticker price if they think they can do better.

Or maybe they will, who knows.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kronix posted:

I doubt it. From what I understand, the most any dealership is going to get is 1 or 2 if they're really lucky and they're not going to waste their allocation selling it for sticker price if they think they can do better.

Or maybe they will, who knows.

The internet manager agrees with the latter -- all of them are getting allocated, and she's naturally unwilling to help me search. What sucks is that the Ford site redirects your Search-for-car request only to the closest dealer by zip code. There's no way to send the same query about inventory to multiple dealers at once.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

mcmagic posted:

Do you pay for that sirius traffic service too?

Not yet. It's a couple bucks per month added onto your satellite radio subscription if you decide to renew after the free six months or whatever.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

RockSmart posted:

Not yet. It's a couple bucks per month added onto your satellite radio subscription if you decide to renew after the free six months or whatever.

If you eventually decide that satellite radio is poo poo (it is), you can get the traffic only for <3/mo. It's what I ended up doing in mine.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

optikalus posted:

If you eventually decide that satellite radio is poo poo (it is), you can get the traffic only for <3/mo. It's what I ended up doing in mine.

It ain't poo poo when you live in rural Virginia and your AM/FM options are 1.) Staticky country and 2.) Staticky conservative talk radio.

I'd pay for the traffic either way, it's useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RockSmart. Have you used the 10GB hard drive to store music?