Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Libyan TNC is giving a press conference in London:

quote:

This is Matt Wells taking over from Adam Gabbatt. The Libyan national transitional council, the Benghazi-based organisation that is putting itself forward as a potential new government of Libya, is giving a press conference in London. It is clearly putting itself forward as the legitimate voice of the revolution. Its spokesman is at pains to stress that it will "not be the final government of Libya" – there will be a new constitution, and elections.

The Libyan national council members are asked who drew up their post-Gadaffi manifesto, A Vision of Democratic Libya. Gumna el-Gammaty replies that it was drawn up in Arabic by the council. "This is just a translation of it," he says. This is a key point: it seemed like a pretty slick vision and certainly I had wondered whether there might be questions about the involvement of the Foreign Office or the State Department in drawing it up.

Guma el-Gamaty, UK co-ordinator for Libya's Transitional National Council (TNC), adds: "What we want is to continue our peaceful revolution. We would like to go... to Tripoli and demonstrate there. Of course we are looking for a political process - that is why we are here [in London]. One thing we are sure about is we are not going to allow Gaddafi or his family to be part of this process."

Gumna el-Gammaty, a member of the Libyan national council, was asked about the case of Iman al-Obeidi, the woman who ran into a Tripoli hotel where journalists were staying, and accused Gadaffi soldiers of raping her. Gammaty said it was his belief that a cousin of Gadaffi was responsible for the crime. But he did not name the cousin and did not offer any evidence in support of the allegation.

He added that it was "just the tip of the iceberg" and demonstrated the means by which the regime "terrorised the population".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

Jenzar El posted:

Believe it or not. ORIGINAL THOUGHT!

See, opposing things just because a black/liberal/Democrat president is behind it causes all sorts of mental gymnastics. Look at that crap you posted. :stare:

Maybe if you didn't form all of you thoughts from your hate of Obama you will have more coherent thoughts. Like the French tried to keep us out of Iraq and gave us the statue of liberty and quiche.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Vogler posted:

It's wrong if he doesn't want you to help him.

Except that they do?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baddog posted:

Hey, you do know that Saddam Hussein killed almost a million of his own people, not even counting the Iran-Iraq war which killed another million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Saddam_Hussein%27s_Iraq

Estimates of up to 300,000 Kurds killed with poison gas and other attacks, up to 200,000 killed in the '91 uprising, plus hundreds of thousands in just the day-to-day operations of Hussein's Iraq.

So your whole comparison is pretty lol.

Congratulations on completely missing the point of my post! You get an F for reading comprehension.

Where did I say anything about Saddam Hussein? The point is that in Libya you have a UN sanctioned intervention backed by the majority of the international community and does not involve us basically rolling in the tanks cause we could. This isn't an American force unilaterally imposing regime change via arms, it's a world backed force basically going; "I'm going to wave my arms over here. If I hit your heavy weapons and your own people end up overthrowing your government, maybe you should have tried being less of an rear end in a top hat." There aren't American armored divisions sweeping through the desert fighting on the ground with the Libyan military, there are Libyans doing that. We are just making it so a) CQ stops blowing up his loving cities and murdering people and b) taking out his heavy equipment that he is using to do this with (which coincidentally puts his guys on more equal footing with the large number of irregular light infantry that they were blowing the gently caress up with near impunity before).

Also, though Saddam was indeed a similar rear end in a top hat, that was not part of the stated reason why the US intervened. It was all WMD and fear hype and if we were going in to save the Kurds and Shiites maybe we should have done that during the uprising after Gulf War 1 before they were all slaughtered and thrown into mass graves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DevNull posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0i9acHS_zQ&

It was only a matter of time before someone used Angry Birds to tell the story of the Middle Eastern revolutions.

Well, there was that sketch on an Israeli comedy program that spoofed the on-again, off-again Israeli-Palestine peace accords.

The end credits are great: Kim Jong-Il pig surrounded by nukes, with the Mighty Eagle going "I don't know, looks kinda scary...", as well as Chavez, Castro and Ortega pigs

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Also, though Saddam was indeed a similar rear end in a top hat, that was not part of the stated reason why the US intervened. It was all WMD and fear hype and if we were going in to save the Kurds and Shiites maybe we should have done that during the uprising after Gulf War 1 before they were all slaughtered and thrown into mass graves.

Been meaning to compare what we're doing in Libya to what we really should have happened in Iraq following GW1 when we told the populous of Iraq to rise up against Saddam, only to sit on our hands while they were summarily curb stomped by the very large military we didn't destroy during the 100 hours of the ground war. That's actually a huge reason why I'm so supportive of our very limited involvement in Libya over the past few weeks is that the good will the US gained in the ME by going to war with Iraq in 1991 was totally wiped out just as quickly by our inaction during the open revolt that we called for after the invasion.

Also, to the people wondering what's different here than basically every other place where horrible humanitarian poo poo is happening is the following. We're not specifically after a regime change, but if it happens because Gaddafi was a colossal dick to this people and they are currently revolting to install a liberal democracy then so be it. We're not specifically backing the rebels, but we are taking out the heavy weapons that Libya was using to massacre it's citizens unchecked and if in the process we put the Libyan military on an even footing with the rebels and they are able to make advances then so be it. Semantics sure but important differences non the less.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Another new thing since other interventions, is that the so-called "Responsibility to protect" has been firmly established in the UN system, based on what happened in Rwanda, Bosnia and Kosovo.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I almost feel sorry for him. It's not like he ever had a chance at a normal life, what with being Ron Paul's son. Not to mention being named Rand Paul.

Of course, he's still nothing more and nothing less than a worthless sack of poo poo.

Oh like he's the only kid with a nutty dad.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Saddam deserved to go, sure, but doing in such a way that Iraqis weren't inspired about democracy and so we just dug in our heels to generate new terrorists and kill them was a beyond horrible way to approach it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quadratic posted:

I'd take that with a grain of salt. Now Lebanon passionately hate Hezbollah and I haven't seen similar reports anywhere.

edit: The only other mention I could find was at Stratfor and the "full article" is just a one-sentence summary referring back to Now Lebanon.

VVV The last thing we need is another member of that family giving a speech.

Yeah, there's a limited amount of unbiased media in Lebanon (aka, zero). I'll try to find another source, but given that Hezbollah and Amal were the same groups holding rallies in favor of the Syrian occupation in 2005, I have no reason to doubt it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Spiky Ooze posted:

Saddam deserved to go, sure, but doing in such a way that Iraqis weren't inspired about democracy and so we just dug in our heels to generate new terrorists and kill them was a beyond horrible way to approach it.

If we waited long enough it's very likely what is happening now would have happened there is the thing.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Times posted:

If we waited long enough it's very likely what is happening now would have happened there is the thing.

I don't have the link, but yesterday I saw an article saying that the revolutions would not be happening in the Middle East if we had not invaded Iraq. A few months ago I predicted that someone would say that. Sadly, there will be neo-cons that believe exactly that no matter what.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Times posted:

True that. To be completely fair though nobody saw this coming. If it wasn't for the spontaneous momentum of the pro-democracy protests, these people could have had dictators indefinitely. I think Bush was right in that people *deserve* democracy, he was just wrong in rushing in before the people realized that themselves.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Spiky Ooze posted:

It also didn't help that after GW1 we said we would support the people if they rose up against Saddam, then once it happened we told them to get hosed while they were slaughtered. People tend to remember and be resentful of poo poo like that.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Well, maybe, but if the US/UK had instead waited to gather international support, these revolutions might have been happening sooner than they are now. Alternative history is fun.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DevNull posted:

I don't have the link, but yesterday I saw an article saying that the revolutions would not be happening in the Middle East if we had not invaded Iraq. A few months ago I predicted that someone would say that. Sadly, there will be neo-cons that believe exactly that no matter what.

Well in a way that may be true. With the invasion of Iraq and the continuation of forceful US intervention in the region the people are finally pissed off enough at all the bullshit to finally rise up and try to gain self governance. Pissed off enough at the continued US intervention and dictator supporting in the region I mean.

That isn't of course what they meant in the article. What they meant is that our noble white people showed the underdeveloped brown people things like freedom and democracy.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

DevNull posted:

Hitches on Slate :

http://www.slate.com/id/2289587/

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Congratulations on completely missing the point of my post! You get an F for reading comprehension.

Where did I say anything about Saddam Hussein?

Pretty much your whole post? Although to be fair, I think you might have been high as gently caress. If you are going to say that we should be in Libya because Gaddafi is

a) cruel
b) unstable
c) has in the past and is about to again kill tens of thousands of his own people
d) controls a lot of wealth

Then all of those applied (much more so) to Saddam Hussein.

Also I love your new bit about this is different because "I'm going to wave my arms over here. If I hit your heavy weapons and your own people end up overthrowing your government, maybe you should have tried being less of an rear end in a top hat". And your continued insistence that this isn't about "regime change".

At least be intellectually honest with yourself and admit that we (including our allies) are going to do whatever it takes to get the rebels to win, up to and including putting them in the loving car, driving them directly to Gaddafi's house, and putting the rope in their hands.

Already there is talk about officially arming the rebels (as opposed to all the unofficial arming that has been going on), and we're using gunships now because something is needed to take out lighter vehicles and infantry concentrations, because just taking out the armor wasn't enough.

The doublethink in this thread is strong as hell.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
On the other hand there are people who can't make out the difference between necessary and sufficient.

If we consider "
a) cruel
b) unstable
c) has in the past and is about to again kill tens of thousands of his own people
d) controls a lot of wealth"

as necessary conditions for foreign intervention it is not the same as saying we consider them as sufficient for foreign intervention and certainly not declaring what form such intervention should take place.

Instead all we see over, and over, and over, and over is claims that if you want to step in in one situation you have to step into any situation that can be considered broadly similar because, drat it, my second grade teacher took away my candy because I didn't bring enough for everyone and everyone should be forced to feel that level of helplessness in the face of enforced equality.

Sorry if some of us take a slightly more nuanced view. I'd feel more comfortable with condemnations of double think from people I felt had engaged in a single think.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Baddog posted:

Pretty much your whole post? Although to be fair, I think you might have been high as gently caress. If you are going to say that we should be in Libya because Gaddafi is

a) cruel
b) unstable
d) controls a lot of wealth

Then all of those applied (much more so) to Saddam Hussein.

No you are still missing the point. None of those were the main argument for going to war, as presented by those who were in favor of it. The argument was that Hussein presented a danger to the US and thus a full on invasion was necessary, not that he was cruel or unstable or murdered his own people. No one is trying to draw connections between Gadaffi and 9/11 or claim that he's sitting on piles of yellowcake.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 29, 2011

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In 2002 2003 Bush et al made the argument that we had to invade because Saddam was a bad man who "gassed his own people". They made lots of arguments. The "humanitarian intervention" angle was definitely there. Even more so in Afghanistan.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well in a way that may be true. With the invasion of Iraq and the continuation of forceful US intervention in the region the people are finally pissed off enough at all the bullshit to finally rise up and try to gain self governance. Pissed off enough at the continued US intervention and dictator supporting in the region I mean.

That isn't of course what they meant in the article. What they meant is that our noble white people showed the underdeveloped brown people things like freedom and democracy.

When is the revolution in Iraq going to happen? If the neocon theory had any credibility you'd think we'd see revolution in Iraq eventually.

Not asking you to answer for neocons. Just thinking out loud.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 29, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The difference between Iraq 2002 and Libya 2011 is there's a significant rebel movement that actively is trying to get rid of Gaddafi, and appears to have wide support. In Iraq the US was trying to import democracy into Iraq, while with Libyan there's already a movement that exists that is trying to form a free democracy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

euphronius posted:

In 2002 2003 Bush et al made the argument that we had to invade because Saddam was a bad man who "gassed his own people". They made lots of arguments. The "humanitarian intervention" angle was definitely there. Even more so in Afghanistan.

Those arguments were made but they were never the primary argument, which always specifically involved Saddam being a danger to the US and Israel and possessing weapons of mass destruction. These arguments were especially relevant to the US's unilateral approach. Meanwhile, no one at all is attempting to make these claims about Libya being a danger to other countries.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iraq had significant anti Saddam forces such as the Sadrist milita and the Kurds. IIRC Hussein was barely if at all in control of what is called Kurdistan in Iraq in 2003.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 29, 2011

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

Iraq had significant anti Saddam forces such as the Sadrist milita and the Kurds.

First off, they were not making any type of progress at over throwing Saddam. They would not have been able to. Second, if you think the two countries are anything alike, then you are just completely ignorant on the region. Stop trying to compare them at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DevNull posted:

First off, they were not making any type of progress at over throwing Saddam. They would not have been able to. Second, if you think the two countries are anything alike, then you are just completely ignorant on the region. Stop trying to compare them at all.

I wasn't saying they were alike. I was trying to talk about what actually happened in Iraq.

But continuing on this line of thinking, what are the chances that the next government of Libya will privatise the nationalized oil company? I would say they are quite high.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

euphronius posted:

Iraq had significant anti Saddam forces such as the Sadrist milita and the Kurds. IIRC Hussein was barely if at all in control of what is called Kurdistan in Iraq in 2003.

The Kurds were trying to form a breakaway Kurdish nation in their own region - as they have been trying to do for a very long time, not trying to reform/replace the government of Iraq itself. It's really not at all the same kind of situation. The Libyan rebels are not trying to form a new autonomous republic in a specific area based on ethnic or religious lines - they are trying to form a new Libya, one that doesn't involve Gadaffi.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

euphronius posted:

I wasn't saying they were alike. I was trying to talk about what actually happened in Iraq.

But continuing on this line of thinking, what are the chances that the next government of Libya will privatise the nationalized oil company? I would say they are quite high.

I'm unsure at this point, I would not discount it but at the same time it is the most central element of the Libyan economy and any odor of tampering with it would doubtlessly go over poorly. I think you could make a pretty convincing argument it would lean in that direction, but as in Iraq the dispersal of oil revenues is probably central to what the post Khaddafi government looks like.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

farraday posted:

Instead all we see over, and over, and over, and over is claims that if you want to step in in one situation you have to step into any situation that can be considered broadly similar

No, I'm pretty sure western interventionist policy is pretty drat consistent, for good or bad, democratic or republican administration. You just don't want to be honest with yourself and admit it, and would rather resort to dismissive snark against anything that violates your narrative of a completely just war.

I'm in favor of this intervention, hopefully it will result in some good, we will see, but I'd rather see the chief beneficiaries do the water carrying.

And it hurts my head when people say that Iraq was bad and this war is good, because Gaddafi is such a bad man. Or because Bush lied vs Obama just not saying much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The one major difference between this war and Iraq is that there is broad and bilateral international support for it. The UNSC's resolution is clear. I personally think the reasons behind them* are similar but I am a horrible cynic.

*the reasons for US involvement.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Baddog posted:

No, I'm pretty sure western interventionist policy is pretty drat consistent, for good or bad, democratic or republican administration. You just don't want to be honest with yourself and admit it, and would rather resort to dismissive snark against anything that violates your narrative of a completely just war.

I'm in favor of this intervention, hopefully it will result in some good, we will see, but I'd rather see the chief beneficiaries do the water carrying.

And it hurts my head when people say that Iraq was bad and this war is good, because Gaddafi is such a bad man. Or because Bush lied vs Obama just not saying much.

"It hurts my head that people say they're different when clearly they're the exact same based on a blatantly biased appraisal of the situation."

Having read your posts I'm sure we all know how much you hate resorting to dismissive snark.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Baddog posted:

You are treating them the same simply because they are both Arab countries and because they both had a dictator. They are not the same, and to compare the two is simply wrong. Even if popular media sources are doing just that right now. They are different situations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Mnoba posted:

Hitches on Slate :

http://www.slate.com/id/2289587/

Hitchens is correct that the US/UK invasion of Iraq was one of the main reasons why Gaddafi surrendered his WMD program and scaled down his support for terrorism. He's also probably right that Saddam Hussein still being in power might have made UN and Arab League support for the Libyan civilians more difficult. But it does not follow that the invasion of Iraq, at the time and the way it was done, was the right thing, which he implies.

e: Actually, if Iraq hadn't been invaded, they might have gone after Libya instead, deposing Gaddafi several years earlier. If they'd threatened Gaddafi, he might have decided to call their bluff as Saddam Hussein did, and gotten himself invaded.

:sweden: As we expected, Sweden got their official NATO request today, and are now sending 8 JAS Gripen down to the Med. Go Saab!

Vir fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 29, 2011

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Baddog posted:

No, I'm pretty sure there's a difference between this no fly zone, and a full scale invasion and occupation justified by deceit and fear mongering, and you just don't want to be honest with yourself and admit it, and would rather resort to dismissive snark against anything that violates your narrative of being the Lone Voice of Reason.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

euphronius posted:

The one major difference between this war and Iraq is that there is broad and bilateral international support for it. The UNSC's resolution is clear. I personally think the reasons behind them* are similar but I am a horrible cynic.

*the reasons for US involvement.

While this is at the very least mostly true, there is still a difference in context because Gaddafi was actively pursuing the murder of many thousands of civilians and barely trained/equipped 'militants' with only the aforementioned barely trained/equipped 'militants' to stop him.

It would be equivalent if:

A) Saddam Hussein was actively trying to outright annihilate every single resident of Kurdistan.

B) (and this is the important one) There was a significant group of Iraqi citizens demanding foreign intervention.

slay0r691
Nov 18, 2004

by T. Finn
Sure didn't take long to set up a new central bank in libya, as well as a new oil corporation. Thank god we went in for humanitarian reasons.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

slay0r691 posted:

Sure didn't take long to set up a new central bank in libya, as well as a new oil corporation. Thank god we went in for humanitarian reasons.

How exactly is the administration of a country by their own people a bad thing? The rebels setting up a new government and source of income is going to be good for the people.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

slay0r691 posted:

Civil wars don't get fought with hugs and positive thinking, they need money.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

While this is at the very least mostly true, there is still a difference in context because Gaddafi was actively pursuing the murder of many thousands of civilians and barely trained/equipped 'militants' with only the aforementioned barely trained/equipped 'militants' to stop him.

It would be equivalent if:

A) Saddam Hussein was actively trying to outright annihilate every single resident of Kurdistan.

B) (and this is the important one) There was a significant group of Iraqi citizens demanding foreign intervention.

I am not arguing with your overall point but for B are you referring to the Iraqi National Congress headed by our good friend Chalabi? Because that was more or less not authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Civil wars don't get fought with hugs and positive thinking, they need money.

That is true, but you could make an argument that the oil, in a way, is like conflict diamonds. I think that rather undersells the violence inherent in the extraction of most conflict minerals, but if we were concerned about neutrality we'd admit the uneven enforcement is problematic.

It is fairly clear at this point though that we're not concerned about neutrality beyond the broadest and most facile form.

Of course if oil extraction in the Rebel areas takes on the aspect of conflict mineral extraction then it is definitely a problem that should be revisited.

• Locked thread