Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

It depends on what your power curve is like, my 690 is (relatively) mild up until about 4krpm. As a result by bike surges a lot around 20mph in first, and second only really kicks in at 22mph, unfortunately the traffic in my area moves, for a lot of the time at pretty much 21mph. I'm considering shortening the gearing slightly to shift the surging down so that second gear is more usable in traffic.

Yeah this is exactly it.

Saga posted:

Ah, ok. Just go one tooth down on the front. More wheelies ahoy!

If the bike surges on a steady throttle, it's a jetting issue. Surely a dynojet kit (or PCIII/V, but I thought the S2R was carby) would be the cure?

e: As far as what the gearing change will do, IMO dropping 1 on the front or going 2 or 3 up on the back isn't a massive gearing change. It's noticeable and will give you a bit more flexibility, but it's not like you're going to be revving out at 100.

You just have to do the math to see it's not a huge change in the final drive ratio. 44/14 = 3.14; 44/13 = 3.38. I haven't done the math for this bit, but that's what, 6% or something? That would be maybe 5mph off top speed if the S2R can pull redline in top. If they've gone the overdrive route and geared it for 180mph or something crazy in top, you won't even lose that.

Nah it's FI.

http://www.churchofmoto.com/ducati-motorcycles/ducati-monster-s2r-1000/2007-ducati-monster-s2r-1000

My experience is almost exactly what ReelBigLizard is describing. I just want to be a little smoother <25mph.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try something around that 3.14, if I don't like it it'll be easy enough to sell the two sprockets/chain local or on one of the ducati forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So my bike was parked like so

and I got a ticket for "improper parking" statute 39:4-135. Do I have any chance of fighting this in court? Or should I go move my bike to take up a full spot on my tiny block with poo poo parking?

Edit: in the great state of NJ

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I got s ticket like that once in town because I was 'too far from the parking meter'.

I now park directly in front of the meter between two cars. lovely deal though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's how most bikes park here, I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I park like that every single day. It never occurred to me that it was anything other than the proper way to park?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah I don't know wtf. Cop also gave me a ticket for inspection when they passed a law last august that it's no longer needed on motorcycles in NJ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah I don't know wtf. Cop also gave me a ticket for inspection when they passed a law last august that it's no longer needed on motorcycles in NJ.

Cop's an idiot, fight it.

Edit:
http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/39-motor-vehicles-and-traffic-regulation/4-135.html

You might be screwed by the letter of the law. I'd look up the code and see if there's an exception for motorcycles, as technically you're violating the law by not parking parallel to the curb. Otherwise you might be able to get out of it by explaining it to the judge. See if you can do some sort of trial by mail.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 29, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Judging from what I know about NJ, are you black or something?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Duck! posted:

The S2R 1000 was 15T, 42T stock. I was thinking about 14T, 44T.

The front sprocket is far easier to change than the rear, it's just two or three bolts on the sprocket cover then the sprocket is in the open.

I'm never at the extreme top end of things, I just want it a little smoother in traffic.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

going down a tooth in front (or up in the back) helps with snatchy FI because it means you're turning a higher rpm for a given speed and usually all the glitchyness is at small throttle openings/low rpms.
My SV is much nicer in traffic with -1 +1 gearing, you can crawl along in traffic with way less clutch slipping.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

I park like that every single day. It never occurred to me that it was anything other than the proper way to park?
I'm pretty sure DC says to park parallel to the curb when metered and perpendicular when not. I don't really get it.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
But..you never park a bike parallel to the curb. I've never seen it in my life. Always perpendicular. Anyways cops really are idiots a lot of the time so just fight it. He will have nothing to show the judge and it should get tossed.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Fight it if its worth the time, or if your pissed off and dont want to pay regardless. Take you picture in, show it to the judge and explain your story. Of course, this is after you meet with the prosecutor, who will probably reduce or throw it out to try and keep you from clogging the courts.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

To add more to the story of me being hosed. That ticket for improper parking was given on the day that I had just gotten my bike back from the impound lot for no regstration no insurance. The cop hit me with a ticket for statute 39:6b-2 which is driving without insurance, which is like 300-1000 bucks and 9 points. What the gently caress? The bike was parked and had no insurance because of the winter holy poo poo. I'm thinking I may have to lawyer up on this guy because it was the same cop that gave me the improper parking ticket as well.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Im taking the wheels off my bike and I need someway to hold the front up. The center stand holds the back. I don't have any bike stands. Suggestions?

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Clank posted:

Im taking the wheels off my bike and I need someway to hold the front up. The center stand holds the back. I don't have any bike stands. Suggestions?

Blocks of wood or a jackstand

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Clank posted:

Two jackstands. Available for :10bux: from your local autozone or equivalent (assuming you're a US goon that is)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Clank posted:

Secure the center stand so it can't fold up (ratchet strap or something), put something that comes up to roughly 3-4 inches below the swingarm to support it, and weight the back end to lift the front off the ground (break the nut loose on the front axle first!). Have a milk crate or something standing by to let the forks down onto when the wheel is gone.

I did this with my Ninja and it worked great. There is probably a balance point where the bike will tip towards the back onto the swingarm by itself, so you can just go all the way down to the ground, or you can just have someone sit at the back of the bike until you get the front wheel off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KidDynamite posted:

To add more to the story of me being hosed. That ticket for improper parking was given on the day that I had just gotten my bike back from the impound lot for no regstration no insurance. The cop hit me with a ticket for statute 39:6b-2 which is driving without insurance, which is like 300-1000 bucks and 9 points. What the gently caress? The bike was parked and had no insurance because of the winter holy poo poo. I'm thinking I may have to lawyer up on this guy because it was the same cop that gave me the improper parking ticket as well.

Yeah, lawyer up here, what the gently caress is going on here. Does he just hate you or something? How did he hit you with the driving without insurance ticket when you weren't riding the bike? Or did you?

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

Secure the center stand so it can't fold up (ratchet strap or something), put something that comes up to roughly 3-4 inches below the swingarm to support it, and weight the back end to lift the front off the ground (break the nut loose on the front axle first!). Have a milk crate or something standing by to let the forks down onto when the wheel is gone.

I did this with my Ninja and it worked great. There is probably a balance point where the bike will tip towards the back onto the swingarm by itself, so you can just go all the way down to the ground, or you can just have someone sit at the back of the bike until you get the front wheel off.

I should have thought of this but, I went and picked up some jackstands. (needed them for other stuff anyways)

def snow leppard fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 29, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Clank posted:

I should have thought of this but, I went and picked up some jackstands. (needed them for other stuff anyways)

I have another question now:
The front axle bolt is basically a huge hex slot. What do I do? Weld a nut to something?

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Hex-Axle-Tool/dp/B001PJVDPQ

You want one of those. Yeah it's like 30 bucks but you will use it as long as you work on bikes.

Also, there should be one in your tool kit, but typically it's made out of lovely, mild steel, and ends up bending.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Clank posted:

If your bike came with a toolkit, chances are it's in there.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Having a problem with my 07 Ninja 650R. It sat for about 8 months in the elements, before sitting it ran fine - but when I fired it up 2 weeks ago and took it for a drive I was experiencing bucking/hesitation/stalling. I thought it was he gas sitting in the tank, and it was low, so I threw some of that water in the gas tank poo poo in there (half a bottle) along with filling it up - however the symtoms still exist.

- It will stall if I don't keep it above 1k RPM
- When I give it gas up to 5k it bogs like it's running on one cylinder and feels like the plug is fouling
- Most of the time over 5k it will just scream up to 9k without any issues, once I change gear and give it gas it bogs down again.
- When I first started it this season it started fine, I ran it and didn't run it again for 2 weeks. Whn I went to run it again the battery was dead. I charged the battery and took it out, it died at a light and I had to get a jump to get it home.

I'm not sure what my next step should be, replace the battery? Could it be affecting fuel delivery? Should I pull the tank off and check the throttle assembly? Should I replace the plugs? The bike only has 9k miles on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Battery is probably dying, check that first. Then start troubleshooting from there.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sepist posted:

Having a problem with my 07 Ninja 650R. It sat for about 8 months in the elements, before sitting it ran fine - but when I fired it up 2 weeks ago and took it for a drive I was experiencing bucking/hesitation/stalling. I thought it was he gas sitting in the tank, and it was low, so I threw some of that water in the gas tank poo poo in there (half a bottle) along with filling it up - however the symtoms still exist.

- When I give it gas up to 5k it bogs like it's running on one cylinder and feels like the plug is fouling
- Most of the time over 5k it will just scream up to 9k without any issues, once I change gear and give it gas it bogs down again.
- When I first started it this season it started fine, I ran it and didn't run it again for 2 weeks. Whn I went to run it again the battery was dead. I charged the battery and took it out, it died at a light and I had to get a jump to get it home.

I'm not sure what my next step should be, replace the battery? Could it be affecting fuel delivery? Should I pull the tank off and check the throttle assembly? Should I replace the plugs? The bike only has 9k miles on it.

New battery, new plugs, drain the tank, fuel lines and replace the fuel filter (if there is one) and run a bunch of injector/fuel system cleaner through it.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Z3n posted:

You want one of those. Yeah it's like 30 bucks but you will use it as long as you work on bikes.

Also, there should be one in your tool kit, but typically it's made out of lovely, mild steel, and ends up bending.

Yea, the PO didn't have the toolkit. Ill see if I can find one of those in a brick and mortar store before I order one.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

Yeah, lawyer up here, what the gently caress is going on here. Does he just hate you or something? How did he hit you with the driving without insurance ticket when you weren't riding the bike? Or did you?

Nope I hadn't ridden the bike since my insurance lapsed in december. Besides the fact that I wasn't home when the ticket was issued.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

Nope I hadn't ridden the bike since my insurance lapsed in december. Besides the fact that I wasn't home when the ticket was issued.

In MD I think that "driving without insurance" covers any time the vehicle is *on* a street. So, even parked on a public roadway, it has to be insured. I don't know if NJ law is comparable, but I'd do your homework and see if this is the case.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, usually you need tags to park on the street, and you need insurance to have tags. Since you say it had neither, then it shouldn't have been on the street at all. Even in that case though, while they could ticket you for not having it registered, I don't see how they could then ticket you for not having insurance either. That would only be the case if you had tags on it but also no insurance.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sepist posted:

Drain the tank and refill with fresh gas, new gas filter, new plugs and see if that helps. Some seafoam might also help.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm about to pull my bike out of the garage after having it stored for winter for 6 months. Before I stored it, all I did was put some of that sta-bil stuff in the gas tank. I'm hoping the battery will still have enough charge to start and run, and I'm bringing my trickle charger in case it isn't. Beyond that, I was just going to pour some gas in and go. Anything else I should be aware of?

Also, all of you please be f5ing this thread constantly Saturday afternoon so if I have trouble getting it running I can come get help immediately :)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
charge that fucker up before you try to start it. 6 months, it's sure to be dead.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

the walkin dude posted:

charge that fucker up before you try to start it. 6 months, it's sure to be dead.

Yep, I always take the battery out for the winter. Slapped mine back in and it started right up.

Also I check stuff like fluid levels and lube the chain.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm about to pull my bike out of the garage after having it stored for winter for 6 months. Before I stored it, all I did was put some of that sta-bil stuff in the gas tank. I'm hoping the battery will still have enough charge to start and run, and I'm bringing my trickle charger in case it isn't. Beyond that, I was just going to pour some gas in and go. Anything else I should be aware of?

Also, all of you please be f5ing this thread constantly Saturday afternoon so if I have trouble getting it running I can come get help immediately :)

Make sure you change the oil asap as well.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is oil alright when sitting for lengths of time in freezing temperatures? I have a quart of Rotella T6 left over from last year. It's sat untouched in the shed all winter. Is it good to go or should I buy fresh stuff?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A whole gallon of T6 is 20 bucks, why worry about it?

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

I wanted to get my headers jet hot/ceramic coated, but all the places I checked were going to take too long.

I'm thinking about just cleaning it really well, then using this 2000F coating on them.

Anything I should keep in mind with that? A guy on another forum had some good results with it, but I want to make sure it adheres as best I can.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

kylej posted:

Is oil alright when sitting for lengths of time in freezing temperatures? I have a quart of Rotella T6 left over from last year. It's sat untouched in the shed all winter. Is it good to go or should I buy fresh stuff?

I don't see why it would matter, I'd use it.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Need some carb tuning/diagnostic advice.

Bike is a 1980 SR250 (same motor as the XT250 but with a CV carb). Has a pod filter and a custom exhaust. I can't seem to get the high-rpm jetting correct, or more likely I have a different issue. Bike is fine at part and mid throttle, even fine at WOT until the higher RPM ranges. It pulls hard until it gets to 60mph (geared for 80ish) when it stops accelerating and spits, sputters and backfires until you back off the throttle some. If you modulate the throttle carefully at the point before it starts sputtering it will continue up to ~70.

I've adjusted the fuel level up and down and tried from a 130(stock) to 170 main jet and it makes no difference in the sputtering, happens at 60mph every time. I have plenty of fuel flow threw the carb and the plug is staying a nice medium brown.

Any ideas? I've also looked the diaphragm over and can't see any cracks or splits.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

kylej posted:

I think it should be fine. I read somewhere that the paraffin in oil used to separate out when left in freezing temps but with newer oil, especially a synthetic, there shouldn't be any in there to separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
I decided to take the exhaust off to remove rust and replace gaskets, and now have two problems.

1) An exhaust bolt snapped off clean in the head, I soaked it in PB blaster for a few days, and broke a grab-it bit trying to get it out. It continues to soak in PB blaster, but shows no signs of budging. Any idea on a way to get this thing out that isn't an expensive helicoil kit, and/or expensive trip to a machine shop?

2) The old exhaust gaskets also seem seriously sealed to the head, and I can't get them out. Admittedly I haven't been that forceful with them for fear of damaging the head. Is there a safe trick to these things?

As a side note, since the previous owner was practically running no air filter or intake system at all on stock jets, the bike has likely seen extensive use with an incredibly lean jetting. I know a really lean jetting generates an amount of heat which can easily damage a bike's engine in many ways, but could it generate enough heat to fuse either of these parts to the head? What kinda options do I have here?