Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Oh ok, that doesn't look uncomfortable at all. I guess I just prefer the look of something like this: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2292095473.html

So since a 250 seems out of the question (with the exception of the Ninja, which I'm not particularly fond of), would something like the above be suitable? Or would I be better off not looking at 25 year old bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I would be better off not looking at 25 year old bikes

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Get a ninja, it's reliable, there are parts on every corner, it's cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to crash.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
How does a 1991 FZR600 for $600 sounds. On Sunday I sent a message with the usual questions and she said..

Owner posted:

Yes it has been maintained runs great and will be available to test drive tomorrow

I said I couldn't make it then. I'm trying to set something up to see it saturday and she sends me this message this morning

Owner posted:

Dial, the bike I think needs a new starter. I will sell it for $600 cash. Its a great bike I don't want to put any money into. Just went through a divorce and the bike is sitting in my garage. If you want to pick it up I would be more than happy to sell on Saturday

So I'm thinking of showing up with a tester and seeing if it is just a starter or battery and go from there. I'm thinking she thought it would run but didn't so maybe its sat a bit thorugh the divorce. Thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to say was on CL for $1100 when she thought it ran. Only reason I mention it is that effects my bargaining room.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 31, 2011

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I'm looking at two 2007 CBR600RRs.

Option 1: $5200 with over 18000 miles and a chip in the vinyl (not paint) near the tank and some tasteful aftermarket stuff.
Option 2: $5700 with 6000 miles. Mostly stock other than a hideous removable windscreen vinyl.

Neither have (supposedly) been dropped, laid down, or wrecked and their tires both look fine.

Should I avoid the high-mileage one, or do well maintained Hondas not become a money sink of engine repairs at that point?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The miles on the first one is not a big deal, but $500 for 1/3 the miles is pretty appearling. I guess it would depend on the aftermarket stuff. I'd also look at the condition of the chain/sprockets/tires on the higher mileage one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dial M for MURDER posted:

How does a 1991 FZR600 for $600 sounds. On Sunday I sent a message with the usual questions and she said..

I said I couldn't make it then. I'm trying to set something up to see it saturday and she sends me this message this morning

So I'm thinking of showing up with a tester and seeing if it is just a starter or battery and go from there. I'm thinking she thought it would run but didn't so maybe its sat a bit thorugh the divorce. Thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to say was on CL for $1100 when she thought it ran. Only reason I mention it is that effects my bargaining room.

Ehhhhh.

The problem with the early FZR600s is that they ran funny tire sizes. I'd pass on that alone, as no matter what you do, you'll never find good tires in those sizes. I'd pass unless there's some reason you totally have to have that bike.

quote:

I'm looking at two 2007 CBR600RRs.

Option 1: $5200 with over 18000 miles and a chip in the vinyl (not paint) near the tank and some tasteful aftermarket stuff.
Option 2: $5700 with 6000 miles. Mostly stock other than a hideous removable windscreen vinyl.

Neither have (supposedly) been dropped, laid down, or wrecked and their tires both look fine.

Should I avoid the high-mileage one, or do well maintained Hondas not become a money sink of engine repairs at that point?

The engines are fine, so what's gonna swing this one is how much you can bargain guy #1 down or how badly you really want the aftermarket stuff.

Make sure the valves have been done if they've been due on the first one, I don't know what the CBR valve adjustments are. I'd use that as a bargaining chip, along with it probably needing a chain and sprockets soon.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Mr. $5200 has a good grand or so in the bike, but he's ignorant of the service history (and seems to not be very technically inclined when it comes to bikes). I can do the valve clearance check/adjustment myself, so I'll probably use that to talk him down alongside almost assuredly having to get a new chain/sprocket for ~$200. Overall, I'll probably spend 4800-5000$ on it.

I'm driving the five hours tomorrow to go look at it and hopefully buy it!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd get a quote on the valve adjustment from a local dealership, plus chain and sprockets. Use that to bargain him down, because those are maintenance items that really should be taken care of before the bike goes up for sale. ~5k seems too expensive for a 4 year old supersport, but I don't what your market is like...

I'd probably start the offer at 4.5k, because you've likely got 250$ in parts for maintenance right off the bat, if you can save money on the labor that's your own thing.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

$5000 is a bit much, but it's a fantastic bargain compared to the $6500 everybody else wants for the things while screaming, "BUT IT'S A HONDA".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bixington posted:

$5000 is a bit much, but it's a fantastic bargain compared to the $6500 everybody else wants for the things while screaming, "BUT IT'S A HONDA".

I'm really praying that the "BUT IT'S A HONDA" market is going to come through with my project 94 Honda F2.

But yeah, that's understandable then.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

All the supersports for sale in my area are 2000 or newer, have less than 5000kms and are asking $6000 to $8000. So, $5000 seems pretty good from my point of view.

My theory on the low km/high price around here is that 90% of the people who buy them just buy them to be cool.

Theres a guy on my street that has a ZX6R that I've seen him ride a total of 2 times in the last 3 years. Both times wearing nothing but shorts and flip flops. And both times just around the block and back into the garage.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Are FZ6's really too much for a first bike? I'm asking because I've been looking around my area and found two interesting bikes in my price range. One is an '07 SV650 (naked). The other is an '05 FZ6. One of them goes over the 70hp recommended limit, the other is goon-recommended.

The newbie rider in me wants to get the Suzuki. However, my wallet tells me to go with the Yamaha. Hopefully you guys can help talk some sense into me. Both of 'em are going for $5000 CAD.

Here's a quick rundown:

SV650 pros:
-20,000kms
-I love the naked look (no window, no fairing)
-Newb-friendly

SV650 cons:
-Don't like the color

FZ6 pros:
-More power for the same price
-Better reliability?
-Like the color
-PO is a 100lbs lady who is scared to go over 60mph and took excellent care of it

FZ6 cons:
-Too much power
-50,000kms

Some guy at the dealership, who is also an ex-racer, told me the FZ6 would be a little more forgiving since it puts out more HP at higher revs, compared to the torquey SV. It makes sense, but I'm not sure if I should believe him since it looked like he badly wanted to sell me the Yamaha. Also, he mentioned that naked bikes get a little windy and tiresome at times, as opposed to the windowed FZ6.

I do not have much experience driving motorcycles, but I do have a 6th sense regarding dangerous situations (driving ambulances will do that to you) and am a total pussy on two wheels. I plan on driving mostly at night (working nights), on small roads, at least for my first season.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know what bike prices are like up there, but $5k is a lot to spend on a first bike.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

internet inc posted:

Some guy at the dealership, who is also an ex-racer, told me the FZ6 would be a little more forgiving since it puts out more HP at higher revs, compared to the torquey SV.

It's pretty much the opposite of that for most new riders. You want a predictable, torquey power curve like an SV which is basically a straight diagonal line. More HP at the top means that the power kicks in exponentially, which punishes sloppy throttle usage or over-aggressive riding.

That said, the FZ6 is not exactly a supersport and has a detuned engine, so I think it's rideable for a new rider. You won't be as willing to experiment and push it like you would a smaller bike, but that's something for you to decide on. You most likely won't be wheelieing everywhere out of control.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endlessmike's point is a good one. They're both on the top of what I'd say is good powerwise for a new rider, and the price is high, which is why it's probably best to pick up a cheaper small displacement bike for now. You won't keep any bike forever, and bikes are easy to buy and sell. Don't try and compromise on your first bike, just get a good beginner bike. Once you've got some milage under your belt you might find that you want something completely different than what you first thought.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
As in, any kind of bike? I'm having a hard time finding cheaper bikes, and I agree that 5k might be a little too much. I don't know if it's because we have shorter summers or what, but as I said in the SV thread, most bikes are easily 30% more expensive around here (but also have less mileage).

Quick look at craigslist's (under 3 grand) reveals plenty of motocross bikes, 12yo liter bikes, old Marauders and V-Stars, but nothing that resembles what I want. Am I too early (although I've seen some bikes, it still pretty loving cold and the roads are in piss-poor conditions) or is it that we really have less bikes available in :canada:?

What kind of prices should I be going for, and what kind of bikes should I look out for?

EDIT: To put it in perspective, a brand new SV650 in Canada retails at $10000, while the US MSRP is at $7000, from what I can tell online. And our dollar is currently worth a little more than yours.

internet inc fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 1, 2011

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

Drove 12 hours today and saw the CBR. It's unbelievably pristine for something with 18k miles on it. There was also some aftermarket stuff like chrome bits and a gold exhaust pipe (strange, anybody know who makes that) that I didn't notice in the pictures and the owner didn't realize were there.

I'm going to have a lower it an inch to get my heels on the ground, but that baby is mine once I figure out a way to transport it! :flashfap:

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

internet inc posted:

Some guy at the dealership, who is also an ex-racer, told me the FZ6 would be a little more forgiving since it puts out more HP at higher revs, compared to the torquey SV.

I have a FZ6 and I could see it being an okay starter bike if you have self-control. It's really pretty docile under 6500rpm but once you get above that its like someone punched the turbo button and boy, does it pull. Though, Mine has an aftermarket exhaust which I'm sure adds to the peaky-ness of it. Also I've never ridden a full blown supersport so I'm not as jaded when it comes to power as some of the others here. I'm sure if I were to ride something faster and come back to it, it would seem tame.

I guess it comes down to how responsible you are with the bike, and having some self control. If you know someone willing to let you tool around a parking lot on their bike it might be good to get a feel for how fast or slow a certain bike feels.

Also I agree that the bike market in Canada sucks. Only reason I got my FZ6 was because it was pretty much new with 2300km on it and the dude was going for quick money and only wanted $2600 for it. Couldn't pass that up.

def snow leppard fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 3, 2011

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Clank posted:

Also I agree that the bike market in Canada sucks. Only reason I got my FZ6 was because it was pretty much new with 2300km on it and the dude was going for quick money and only wanted $2600 for it. Couldn't pass that up.

That's a hell of a deal! You're not willing to part with it, are you? :3:

Thanks for the input, though. I will check both of the bikes again on Monday and make a decision there. Is it true that you might expect better reliability out of the FZ6 motor since it's detuned, as opposed to the 2-cylinder SV? A guy at work suggested that I should get 07's and up because they are somehow better? What is that all about?

Also, I don't want to look like a fake crotch-rocket rider, but I can't get that idea out of my head when I look at the FZ6 (as opposed to the naked SV). Why?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Reliability is going to be about the same, neither bike is particularly high strung from a HP stand point.

Bix, don't lower the cbr unless you have it done right and lower both ends.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

internet inc posted:

That's a hell of a deal! You're not willing to part with it, are you? :3:

Thanks for the input, though. I will check both of the bikes again on Monday and make a decision there. Is it true that you might expect better reliability out of the FZ6 motor since it's detuned, as opposed to the 2-cylinder SV? A guy at work suggested that I should get 07's and up because they are somehow better? What is that all about?

Also, I don't want to look like a fake crotch-rocket rider, but I can't get that idea out of my head when I look at the FZ6 (as opposed to the naked SV). Why?

Not willing to part with it unless you can find me a supermoto!

I know that 2007 was when they did a redesign. Wikipedia lists the following changes:
Optimized fuel injection (FI) system mapping.
Redesigned fairing and windscreen.
New instrument cluster with analog tachometer and digital speedometer (similar to the FZ1).
New four-piston monoblock brake calipers for the front brake.
Alumite-finished front forks with revised damping.
A 3-way catalytic converter.
A new seat design.
A new rear swingarm.
New passenger pegs.

Also I really wouldn't worry about looking like a "fake crotch-rocket rider". It's not a crotch rocket. Trust me, when you're on a motorcycle you stop giving a gently caress how you look cause you're having too much fun. :)

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

I don't like telling someone to get a Ninja 250 or something they'll outgrow in a few months to a year unless you get one for basically free. I had a DRZ-400 and absolutely hated it for road use, and it was given to me.

But if you can find a cheap enough, and 500ish, they can make great first bikes. My first bike was a Monster 620 and it was about perfect for my body size and riding style.

Just get something you don't mind dropping/learning how to work on. You're going to do both.

That being said I was hit a few years ago on my 998 and I just picked up another Monster (S2R 1000) a few weeks ago, and I almost wish I would have picked up something a little more forgiving for a year or whatever, I'm rusty as hell.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A Duck! posted:

I don't like telling someone to get a Ninja 250 or something they'll outgrow in a few months to a year unless you get one for basically free. I had a DRZ-400 and absolutely hated it for road use, and it was given to me.

But if you can find a cheap enough, and 500ish, they can make great first bikes. My first bike was a Monster 620 and it was about perfect for my body size and riding style.

Just get something you don't mind dropping/learning how to work on. You're going to do both.

That being said I was hit a few years ago on my 998 and I just picked up another Monster (S2R 1000) a few weeks ago, and I almost wish I would have picked up something a little more forgiving for a year or whatever, I'm rusty as hell.

Well, a DRZ-400(S, I assume) isn't exactly a good road bike. Especially with offroad gearing, so it's sort of a poor choice for a first bike, period. The SM model has taller gearing and much better freeway and road manners.

Anyways, the problem with bigger bikes for a first bike is what happens when you gently caress up? You know that as a new rider, you're going to screw up at some point. An accidentally snap of the throttle on a 250, Ninja/GS500, or a stock DRZ400SM will be met with the front suspension extending, but it's unlikely that you'll end up lifting the front off the ground. Same is true of the brakes, grabbing a handful of brake will cause the front end to dive, but stoppies or locking the front are unlikely without significant effort.

On a bike like the SV650, shutting the throttle off and snapping it back on will easily lift the front. Same is true of an FZ6 at the bottom of the powerband. The brakes are much stronger on both of those bikes, and will be less forgiving of a new rider stabbing at them rather than applying them progressively. There's also a lot more power that can be intimidating when it comes to proper maintenance throttle and throttle control midcorner.

The whole point of a first bike is to get a rider through the danger period where they will make stupid mistakes safely. Everything else is really secondary. A rider with previous dirt experience, or one who takes to it naturally while displaying good judgment, can probably ride an SV650 or FZ6 carefully and be ok. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's never ridden a motorcycle before, though...too much risk for a newbie fuckup being exacerbated by the power and responsiveness of the bike.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 3, 2011

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I just got a 2007 FZ6-n S2 as a second bike and I think it would have been fine even for a beginner. A beginner with training that is. The scary stuff doesn't happen until you rev it a bit, and if you just remember to shift before that there is no big danger of it taking off like a rocket. I usually keep it between 4000 and 7000 rpm and i think it pulls plenty for normal use.
The advantages is that it's practical, upright, easy to handle and there is an ABS option.

I don't think the 2007 non-S2 have the aforementioned improvements, it's really just the same old bike. Nice, but the same ol'.

Surprisingly the naked model feels less windy than my old half-faired Suzuki. The wind blast gets distributed all over my upper body instead of being concentrated around my helmet. I guess that if you want to hide behind a screen the screen better be high enough to deflect wind from the helmet too.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

makka-setan posted:

I just got a 2007 FZ6-n S2

Nice! I'll just go ahead and ask; which insurance company, and how much does insurance rape you? Now, go post a picture in the "post a pic of your bike thread". :)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think an FZ6 is an okay first bike, but it definitely has it's downsides. It's pretty drat powerful, pretty expensive, and parts aren't going to be particularly cheap.

I think that you're focusing too much on what would make a good second bike, i.e. something you want. A first bike should be a cheap, reliable, shitbox, that doesn't make you cry when you drop it and scratch it up. I would suggest you give your location and maybe people can give you some starter bike suggestions from your local craigslist.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Z3n posted:

The whole point of a first bike is to get a rider through the danger period where they will make stupid mistakes safely. Everything else is really secondary. A rider with previous dirt experience, or one who takes to it naturally while displaying good judgment, can probably ride an SV650 or FZ6 carefully and be ok. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's never ridden a motorcycle before, though...too much risk for a newbie fuckup being exacerbated by the power and responsiveness of the bike.

I recently redid the MSF course, I haven't really ridden since I was hit a few years ago on my 998. I can't stand little learner bikes, it's so much harder to do anything on them unless you are just a small person.

Maybe it's a frame size thing, but the power difference between an affordable, comfortable 500 and a Ninja 250 isn't that great. Especially on the freeway at speed. I mean, if you can pass the MSF on a Rebel 250, you can ride a CBF500 no problem.

I always tell my friends to get something that is nice enough that they can be happy with it a few years, but still enough to terrify them about not abusing the throttle or locking up.

If you can pass the MSF course, you can pick up something that you aren't going to want to dump in six months. But if you can find a Ninja 250 for dirt cheap or whatever, more power to you.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Whats kind of nice about Ninja 250/500, or Suzuki GS500 is that they're worth keeping as backup bikes or commuters because they're easy to find cheap and don't really depreciate much further from the time you bought them, and their engines are tried and true through the years.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

A Duck! posted:

but still enough to terrify them about not abusing the throttle or locking up.

Why would you want this in a learner bike? I learned so much more by having a bike that didn't terrify me and let me really wring it out and do stupid rookie mistakes (which would have been made whether I was terrified of the bike or not).

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Why would you want this in a learner bike? I learned so much more by having a bike that didn't terrify me and let me really wring it out and do stupid rookie mistakes (which would have been made whether I was terrified of the bike or not).

I can see both sides of the argument. Personally I wouldn't want to really cut loose until I was absolutely sure I was ready for it, on any bike.

Southern California is like, perfect bike weather year round and there are a ton of cheap bikes of all ranges in the SD/LA corridor from all the Navy and Marines who buy bikes then have to leave/get divorced, or whatever. So that kind of skews my opinion.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Nice! I'll just go ahead and ask; which insurance company, and how much does insurance rape you? Now, go post a picture in the "post a pic of your bike thread". :)

Actually I got 20% off Bilsport-MC. 6450SEK/year for full coverage. But I'm pushing 30. Pics will come!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm selling my FZ1 and made it clear in the listing that this is not a good beginners bike, and yet the beginners call. I had to burst one young man's bubble already. "Well, I'm taking the riding course later this spring..."

I made the usual suggestions but suspect he'll find the first guy with no soul and a big bike for sale and make the deal of his life. His soon to be truncated life.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

makka-setan posted:

Actually I got 20% off Bilsport-MC. 6450SEK/year for full coverage. But I'm pushing 30. Pics will come!

Jesus loving christ on a crutch. Is this some sort of Swedish anti-fun tax?

I pay 1400 SEK for full coverage on a Hornet plus accessories... (paying in kronor really confuses them, let me tell you)

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
That was cheap... A 2005 Hornet would have cost me 10k SEK a year :(

I guess both bikes and insurance are expensive here. I paid 8200 USD for the bike. Not quite the price range being tossed around these forums...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

makka-setan posted:

That was cheap... A 2005 Hornet would have cost me 10k SEK a year :(

I guess both bikes and insurance are expensive here. I paid 8200 USD for the bike. Not quite the price range being tossed around these forums...

Have you considered emigration?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Found my next bike! :cool:

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2304943258.html

quote:

2001 GSXR 750 wrapped in orange crushed velvet fabric. 21k miles, clear title in hand. New stator, new rectifier, new rear sprocket. Tires good, brakes good, will need new rear pads soon but I'm including a set. Bike has Akrapovic Slip-on, TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator), wired and ready for Power Commander (included but will need programming). White LED's under tail and seat, also in air tubes, LED undertail kit, custom license plate mount. Solo seat is gone, passenger seat included. Sale includes extra windscreen (tinted) also. I'm moving, PRICED TO SELL $2800. FIRM

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Found my next bike! :cool:

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2304943258.html

:ssh: Am I the only one that finds it kind of funny that it's from Blacksburg..

(many Inglewood 'rough riders' would own this bike if they had the chance)

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
So, I've been having a look at maybe getting my hands on something to ride to work and maybe mess around a bit on weekends. So something pretty much cheap and cheerful, and a good first bike. I've had a bit of a look around on the bike classified sites here (I'm in australia) and I've come accross the Hyosung 250GT, I quite like the naked look, but yeah, are they any good? I can pick up a 2008 one for aboout $3500 bucks, which seems pretty reasonable? Anyone had any experiances with these bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

I'd get something older and cheaper since you're likely to replace it sooner than you'd think. Then again, that might be a great deal down in Kangarooland.