Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

RockSmart posted:

It ain't poo poo when you live in rural Virginia and your AM/FM options are 1.) Staticky country and 2.) Staticky conservative talk radio.

I'd pay for the traffic either way, it's useful.

I wasn't speaking of their content, I was speaking of their sound quality. They have too many channels and can't give enough bandwidth to the stations, so everything sounds worse than FM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I did a bad, bad thing, and test drove a '11 GT. Right after getting a promotion. Ohno :ohdear:

What's that? You want to buy a V8 car 3 months before gas will probably hit $5? And yet, I still want it.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

mcmagic posted:

RockSmart. Have you used the 10GB hard drive to store music?

No. It's only useful for burning music to from cd's. You can't just load whatever you want on it. So I use an ipod instead.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

RockSmart posted:

No. It's only useful for burning music to from cd's. You can't just load whatever you want on it. So I use an ipod instead.

I found that a 16GB USB drive is much more reliable than an iPod (if you keep it plugged in 24/7). No start up lag!

I did rip a few CDs to the 10GB harddrive, but I've played from it only once.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

kronix posted:

I doubt it. From what I understand, the most any dealership is going to get is 1 or 2 if they're really lucky and they're not going to waste their allocation selling it for sticker price if they think they can do better.

Or maybe they will, who knows.

Laguna Secas are distributed by internal lottery, there are at least a dozen dealers in my region and 3 cars alotted for all of us.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Wombot posted:

I did a bad, bad thing, and test drove a '11 GT. Right after getting a promotion. Ohno :ohdear:

What's that? You want to buy a V8 car 3 months before gas will probably hit $5? And yet, I still want it.

It's not *that* bad on gas. I'm getting 20 mpg average and I spend a good amount of time in stop and go. Boston to NY trips I get ~27 the whole way.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

RockSmart posted:

It ain't poo poo when you live in rural Virginia and your AM/FM options are 1.) Staticky country and 2.) Staticky conservative talk radio.

I'd pay for the traffic either way, it's useful.

What. No God Radio?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I think someone at Sirius hosed up, because my free subscription was supposed to run out like 3 weeks ago and I still get service in my car. I am definitely not calling to let them know, nor am I renewing, since I only drive it 1-2 times a month, but as long as they give it to me for free, I'll use it. When it runs out, there's always the USB/aux jacks in the center console.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Skyssx posted:

What. No God Radio?

Firmly in the conservative category

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I think someone at Sirius hosed up, because my free subscription was supposed to run out like 3 weeks ago and I still get service in my car. I am definitely not calling to let them know, nor am I renewing, since I only drive it 1-2 times a month, but as long as they give it to me for free, I'll use it. When it runs out, there's always the USB/aux jacks in the center console.

I've heard of sat units taking a long time / never receiving the deactivation code. You keep riding that golden horse, as far as it will take you

Locobono fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 31, 2011

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

RockSmart posted:

Firmly in the conservative category

I've heard of sat units taking a long time / never receiving the deactivation code. You keep riding that golden horse, as far as it will take you

If the unit isn't on when they start streaming the codes, and you get lucky enough to miss it every time they do it, you can go months. I incorrectly wired up my Pioneer XM receiver connected to my Avic (wired it to switched 12 instead of constant), and thus kept XM for a good 6 months after I cancelled. Had to take a 200 mile trip one day and lost it, though.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

That's just a regular old GT500 too. Stupid people will pay it at first, and within a few months you'll be able to buy them at MSRP.

A few months ago I was at my local SVT dealership looking at 2011 GT500's. In Canada they cost around 60 - 70K. This dealership had 11 sitting in the showroom at the time so obviously they were very willing to negotiate to move the cars.

The dealership in question also had a used, blue on silver, 2009 KR sitting in the showroom. They were asking mid 90's for it.

I asked them what was up with that, since everyone would immediately pick up the newer car instead especially considering the price difference. The sales manager explained to me that it was one of the first KR's in Canada so as expected they were able to sell it with a significant "market/demand adjustment" on top of the MSRP. The buyer was desperate to have one first and bought it. He drove it for barely a year and then traded it in on another vehicle. The dealership made the mistake of paying him market value for the car.

And now they are stuck with the drat car and can't sell it as they aren't willing to take the significant loss to get it out of the showroom. As you can imagine, it is very difficult to sell a 2009 KR when it's sitting beside brand new 2011 GT500's that have a much slicker body, more options and more power for 20-30K less.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OrganizedEntropy posted:

A few months ago I was at my local SVT dealership looking at 2011 GT500's. In Canada they cost around 60 - 70K. This dealership had 11 sitting in the showroom at the time so obviously they were very willing to negotiate to move the cars.

The dealership in question also had a used, blue on silver, 2009 KR sitting in the showroom. They were asking mid 90's for it.

I asked them what was up with that, since everyone would immediately pick up the newer car instead especially considering the price difference. The sales manager explained to me that it was one of the first KR's in Canada so as expected they were able to sell it with a significant "market/demand adjustment" on top of the MSRP. The buyer was desperate to have one first and bought it. He drove it for barely a year and then traded it in on another vehicle. The dealership made the mistake of paying him market value for the car.

And now they are stuck with the drat car and can't sell it as they aren't willing to take the significant loss to get it out of the showroom. As you can imagine, it is very difficult to sell a 2009 KR when it's sitting beside brand new 2011 GT500's that have a much slicker body, more options and more power for 20-30K less.

Car dealers get stupid at times. In a city of 80,000 people, between the 2 dodge dealerships(which are about 3 blocks away from eachother) they have about 20 challengers which they've had for quite a while now, and are still unwilling to budge on price. Most of em are fully loaded SRT-8 automatics too. A lot of money in stock sitting there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

pienipple posted:

Laguna Secas are distributed by internal lottery, there are at least a dozen dealers in my region and 3 cars alotted for all of us.

Are the normal Bosses lotteried, too? Are the 3 cars you're talking about all Laguna Secas? I really don't need a back seat delete or a bigger splitter to ruin on something.

e: on Ford's Find Your Vehicle page, the wizard doesn't validate your address against the zipcode you put in, so I just spammed the request using zipcodes of some nearby city centers, to cast the net a bit wider.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 31, 2011

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

frozenphil posted:

Idle lope tunes

This just sounds so great. I just cant bring myself to do it because it "feels" like it would be bad for the car to me....

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Well they'll be making more Boss Mustangs next year too, so there will be more to go around.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

I had the same thing happen. My 6 month subscription was supposed to run out in January, but when I got my car out of storage a few weeks ago it still worked. Until after about 8 hours of driving the screen flashed "SUBSCRIPTION UPDATING" and it got shut off. Oh well, I liked Sirius. Just not sure if I liked it enough to pay for it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
2012 Boss 302 runs 11.72 @ 117 right off the showroom floor with just drag radials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLmXeUflf4I

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Killbot posted:

Well they'll be making more Boss Mustangs next year too, so there will be more to go around.

My spamming has netted one dealer that claims they can order it, and isn't charging a markup. They're faxing me a sheet. It seems too slick to be true. At this point, I'm assuming it's just a ploy to get me in the office and sell me something else. Which would be infuriating.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

frozenphil posted:

2012 Boss 302 runs 11.72 @ 117 right off the showroom floor with just drag radials.

What are factory 5.0s getting with drag radials? 11.6?

kimbo305 posted:

My spamming has netted one dealer that claims they can order it, and isn't charging a markup. They're faxing me a sheet. It seems too slick to be true. At this point, I'm assuming it's just a ploy to get me in the office and sell me something else. Which would be infuriating.

If they try that, just leave. Don't comment, just walk out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A.o.D. posted:

If they try that, just leave. Don't comment, just walk out.

I did the same exact thing at a dealer a few weeks ago. They were advertising a really good deal with a matching down payment up to 5k and when i walked in they told me it was only one 1 car on the lot and wouldn't order a car for me without a 10% markup. I walked.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

optikalus posted:

If you eventually decide that satellite radio is poo poo (it is)
I listen to the 40s and 50s channels all the time. :colbert:

Plus the other day I discovered the radio classics channel. Listened to Burns and Allen on the way in to work today.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT
Pricing question: I'm looking at 2011 GTs, I was searching dealer inventories in my area and found a bunch that I could go for. How much will time on the lot and options make a difference in how much I can talk them down? For example could I get a $39k well equipped one down to 32 or 33 if its been sitting on the lot for a year? Would I have the same luck going from 35k to 29k?

Also any advice for a 23 year old trying to buy a "pony car"? Its hard to get taken seriously when you don't know what you're doing and you don't have a wad of cash in your hand.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

kimbo305 posted:

Are the normal Bosses lotteried, too? Are the 3 cars you're talking about all Laguna Secas? I really don't need a back seat delete or a bigger splitter to ruin on something.

e: on Ford's Find Your Vehicle page, the wizard doesn't validate your address against the zipcode you put in, so I just spammed the request using zipcodes of some nearby city centers, to cast the net a bit wider.

Just Laguna Secas, regular Bosses are distributed the normal way: to fulfill orders and a number of stock vehicles alotted per region.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

frozenphil posted:

This makes me want to get some drag radials for the Shelby. I am having a hard time deciding what to put on though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
One more thing. Do any of you guys have black leather interiors? How hot does it get in the summer?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

One more thing. Do any of you guys have black leather interiors? How hot does it get in the summer?

I have the leather in my 2011. The leather isn't the issue in the summer -- it's the 401a shift knob. The first day I had my car, it burnt a pattern into my palm. I got dark tint that weekend, but I still have to put something over the knob on the hot days.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Neight posted:

Pricing question: I'm looking at 2011 GTs, I was searching dealer inventories in my area and found a bunch that I could go for. How much will time on the lot and options make a difference in how much I can talk them down? For example could I get a $39k well equipped one down to 32 or 33 if its been sitting on the lot for a year? Would I have the same luck going from 35k to 29k?

Also any advice for a 23 year old trying to buy a "pony car"? Its hard to get taken seriously when you don't know what you're doing and you don't have a wad of cash in your hand.

You should be trying to get at least a thousand below invoice, *not* MSRP. If MSRP is 38, invoice is probably around 35 and you shouldn't be paying more than 34 for an ending model year. If you don't have any experience negotiating, use a car pricing service like Edmunds, or USAA if you can get it. Show them that you know the cars are selling for mid 30s, and walk, repeatedly if necessary if they are trying to sell you anywhere near MSRP. Play multiple dealerships against each other.

It's still wintertime, gas prices are high, and the new model year is here. These cars aren't moving and they want them gone. It's a perfect time to buy.

Also if you don't have any money to put down and don't have awesome credit you're going to be a tier 3 loan or worse and are going to get raped on interest. Your car payments are going to be $700+. A new car might not be the best idea. Just some unsolicited advice.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Mid 12s.

This makes me want to get some drag radials for the Shelby. I am having a hard time deciding what to put on though.

Mickey Thompson ET Streets if you want the best traction, Nitto NT555Rs if you want them to last more than 5k miles. If you can shift well you should be able to pull off low 11s in your car with drag radials.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

frozenphil posted:

Mid 12s.

Mickey Thompson ET Streets if you want the best traction, Nitto NT555Rs if you want them to last more than 5k miles. If you can shift well you should be able to pull off low 11s in your car with drag radials.

What size? I've heard 325/50/15 tossed around. Also which wheels do you recommend? I'd probably do the M/T ET Streets, and just change them at the track.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

RockSmart posted:

You should be trying to get at least a thousand below invoice, *not* MSRP. If MSRP is 38, invoice is probably around 35 and you shouldn't be paying more than 34 for an ending model year. If you don't have any experience negotiating, use a car pricing service like Edmunds, or USAA if you can get it. Show them that you know the cars are selling for mid 30s, and walk, repeatedly if necessary if they are trying to sell you anywhere near MSRP. Play multiple dealerships against each other.

It's still wintertime, gas prices are high, and the new model year is here. These cars aren't moving and they want them gone. It's a perfect time to buy.

Also if you don't have any money to put down and don't have awesome credit you're going to be a tier 3 loan or worse and are going to get raped on interest. Your car payments are going to be $700+. A new car might not be the best idea. Just some unsolicited advice.

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the advice too, by not having a wad of cash I meant I didn't have like $35k in twenty dollar bills to dazzle the salesmen with. I was planning on putting $5k down, plus trading in my 07 Ridgeline (which I'll probably get raped on because it has 130,000 miles on it) and then having one of my parents cosign the loan so I can keep the rate down.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

What size? I've heard 325/50/15 tossed around. Also which wheels do you recommend? I'd probably do the M/T ET Streets, and just change them at the track.

This kit if you want to do front and back, or just these with 275/60/15 ET Streets.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Excellent thanks!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

mcmagic posted:

The 06 GT I just bought has a black leather interior. I'll let you know how it gets this summer (in Louisiana). Good god it'll probably suck. I hope the AC in a mustang is really good.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

A.o.D. posted:

The 06 GT I just bought has a black leather interior. I'll let you know how it gets this summer (in Louisiana). Good god it'll probably suck. I hope the AC in a mustang is really good.

I never put the A/C on max in my '03, because even in the 100 degree heatwaves in the middle of August I get worried that parts of my body will end up frostbitten after a few minutes. My balls feel cold from the glancing draft of the left vent even through a pair of jeans and boxers.

Although you do need to give it a minute or two (which I spend standing outside with the door open) after cranking, obviously. I just dip my hand in front of the vent by the door hinge occasionally to feel if it's cooled down yet.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

I never put the A/C on max in my '03, because even in the 100 degree heatwaves in the middle of August I get worried that parts of my body will end up frostbitten after a few minutes. My balls feel cold from the glancing draft of the left vent even through a pair of jeans and boxers.

Although you do need to give it a minute or two (which I spend standing outside with the door open) after cranking, obviously. I just dip my hand in front of the vent by the door hinge occasionally to feel if it's cooled down yet.

Same with my '03. It's absolutely ridiculous how cold it gets.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I haven't had a whole lot of experience with the AC in my 2011 GT yet, other than to say it doesn't seem to get very cold, even set on max AC with recirc. And it's only been up to about 90 F so far this year (Austin, TX). I hope it can cope with the intense sun and 105 degree days coming up this summer.

My last Ford ('91 T-bird) had really lovely air conditioning that ran out of freon every 9 months and was never fixed right.

In my 25 years of driving, I've never had the good fortune of owning a car with really cold AC. It seems like V8 coupes (Camaro, GTO, Mustang, T-bird etc) just never have really cold AC. Yet my friends with 4-cyl Hondas and Toyotas practically shoot ice crystals out of the vents. Something about stuffing a giant V8 under the hood seems to negatively impact AC performance.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 1, 2011

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.
Backing up Number_6, I have a 2010 GT and it doesn't seem to get very cold when it's hot out. Another problem is that the black dash is huge and loves soaking up heat, if it's slightly warm inside the car then vent air is 5-10 degrees warmer, requiring air conditioning even if it's only 70 degrees fairenheit outside and you don't want windows down.

I find during the summer I just drive with the windows down everywhere. I have dark tint on the windows and a sun shield on the windshield so the seats don't burn me, then just roll the windows down and go. And yes, sitting in the 100 degree sun the seats will be painful, at the very least causing instant back/butt sweat.

I have been running AC on it's coldest setting that's not "max ac" with the recirculating on any day that has been north of 70F, and it has not gotten too cold for me yet, although the fan speed will be on low so take that for what it's worth.

The other side of this coin is that in the winter as soon as the engine is warmed up above the first hash mark I'm nice and toasty too.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Hellion's turbo system is about ready for the 2011+ 5.0 and it's ridiculous.

"Hellion base 64 mm turbo system at 6 lbs boost it made 540 hp with 605 tq and made 640 hp 758 tq @ 12 psi with a 76mm turbo."

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Well it looks like I won't be buying anything from Ground Control in a while. Not only did they not send me the right spring perches for their caster/camber plates, the replacement parts were wrong also. I should have just went with Steeda.

A company called Vorschlag is making some cc plates for the s197 and it's some serious kit. It also costs close to double what other companies charge for them, but it looks really well-engineered. Maybe if GC keeps screwing up I'll just return the parts and order a pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I guess we've found out what the "market adjustment" is going to be on the Laguna Seca Boss 302s, apparently it's $108k.