Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Goddamnit Ippo, puh-LEASE live up to that spread :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
See, after all of this fuss, I thought that Ippo had actually done something. Joke's on me, I guess.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Serious Frolicking posted:

See, after all of this fuss, I thought that Ippo had actually done something. Joke's on me, I guess.
We are all retarded and we will inevitably be disappointed.

Then we will do the same thing for the next fight. And the one after that.

Edit: Watch Morikawa troll the poo poo out of us and have Ippo lose and have to start all over because he realizes that Ippo could probably just challenge the World Champ right now with his record and he needs to buy time.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 23, 2011

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ippo's gonna punch this dude so hard he punches his heart right out through his back and he loses through forfeit, calling it now.

igotbored
Mar 29, 2010
I know we're probably just going to get another terrible fight that drags on and reveals that Ippo has actually unlearned things about boxing (seriously, what happened to the calm, composed Ippo from the Karasawa fight?) and is only relying on JAPANESE FIGHTING SPIRIT to win, but I can't help but get excited about smug Ippo. Look how smug he is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The series is going to end with Ippo taking so loving long to reach the world champ that he's 40 and old and poo poo and the victory will be meaningless to Ippo and Kamogawa will commit seppuku

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I literally just discovered there was a love interest in this manga and its not the reporter girl.

I want to punch this guy right in his happy-go-lucky face.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Nilbop posted:

I literally just discovered there was a love interest in this manga and its not the reporter girl.

I want to punch this guy right in his happy-go-lucky face.

Wait, what? How is it possible to miss the multiple love interests?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

frabba posted:

Wait, what? How is it possible to miss the multiple love interests?

Maybe because Ippo has made ZERO progress in 20 years (but perhaps the same could be said of his boxing :downsrim: )

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Because Ippo is terrified of women aside from his mother and avoids contact with them as much as possible. That's why Kumi is the main love interest- because she will certainly never make a move on her own, taking Ippo out of his comfort zone. Subtext aside, they've made it pretty clear that Ippo finds women sexually attractive, but he is only able to connect emotionally with men.

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
New Chapter up

http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/35239984/1

I'm trying to not let my hopes get up after 10 years of disappointment.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just gonna go ahead and place my bets on a 1HKO.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

We finally learn Ippo's weakness! Haha just - oh poo poo we doooo

I quite like the idea that Ippo's challenger is the legitimate underdog in this and it's being approached that way. Apart from Ippo of course. Him and his loving opinions.

The restrictions in the art style are really becoming apparent to me now. The guy one page 9 is the spit of Ippo.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Shinjobi posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and place my bets on a 1HKO.

You know, after this chapter I'm starting to feel the same way. After saying that Ippo has never had a one hit KO against an opponent is totally setting yourself up to get one hit KO'ed.

I like to think Morikawa and the Challenger Dude have a lot in common, "Ippo totally has a weakness. I swear I'll reveal it in like 5 chapters! .....Aw gently caress, I have no loving clue what I'm doing!"

Enough of this loving bullshit, just make this a quick fight, have Ippo bang whats her face with his comically huge penis, and let's get moving to the god damned world stage already. Use your fists of loving steel to avenge us fanboys Ippo!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
This is probably one of the rare times where if this turns out in the predictable way I will be completely satisfied. Anything but a 1 Hit KO now will be a huge dissapointment which I am now completely set up for. This is the true power of Ippos Boxing, the power to get my hopes up again and again just to dissapoint me, and every time I come crawling back with the hopes it might change... What a vicious cycle.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
I'm getting the feeling that Ippo's going to permanently cripple the guy, and we will feel bad about it.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is totally ending in a single punch. The only question is how they're going to play getting the guy to admit that he's a huge fan of Ippo so Ippo feels bad about punching his spine out the back of his chest.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
To hell with a one hit KO. I want the challenger to loving die.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Why can't we get more actual dickhead challengers? It's so much more satisfying seeing Ippo smash the Hayami's and Gedo's than the dudes we're supposed to empathize with.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Ha give me a Sendou any day. He's like Ippo in style, but with an actual personality! Also he's drat tough.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

rear end in a top hat fodder for Ippo to wreck, awesome guys like Sendo and Volg for great, close matches. And crap like Woli and old dude who I can't remember, out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo is gonna kill the guy in the ring, and it will be great no matter how much Morikawa tries to make us empathize with the challenger now.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I know I shouldn't, but I'm cautiously getting my hopes up for the next fight. Like FiftySeven said, if it ends in the most predictable way possible, I'll be satisfied.

Dear god Ippo, don't let me down with another crappy fight. Please, please, please.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
You guys do this before every fight.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Kweh posted:

You guys do this before every fight.

A true sign of Battered Wife Syndrome :colbert:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
That chapter pretty much didn't need to exist. Turned out to be the same loving weakness everyone else has tried to exploit and failed utterly. The rest of the chapter was typical pre-fight worrying with a tiny of bit 'Ippo is acting strange and kind of champion-like, oh wait, no, he's still the challenger.' Jesus.

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
The only way I can see it going down now. Spoiler just in case Challenger execute his master plan and does exactly what he's trained for, scoring an almost KO. As Ippo goes dark, he remembers all the people he barely beat over the years thanks to his burning samurai spirit, but that's not enough this time.

BUT WAIT! He then thinks about the old man and how if he fell, he'd let the old man down. The burning samurai spirit gets an upgrade and he gets up at the count of 9 (to make it more dramatic).

Challenger is genuinely surprised, and secretly delighted, as he had no idea Ippo can handle that much punishment. He tries to do it again, but realizes he broke his left hand this time.

Ippo throws his first punch in the match, and does the first ever liver punch KO on the challenger. All this will probably be 5 to 6 chapters down the road and we'll all be theory crafting how if Ippo didn't eat that first punch, he would have killed the challenger.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Maybe this fight will make Ippo realize that it's time to relinquish the title and go into the world. He will win, and beat that guy pretty hard. Then he'll realize how much of a fan that guy is, and that he's such an eager, nice guy with a family, someone he could've been friends with... if he didn't have that belt.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Kal-L posted:

Maybe this fight will make Ippo realize that it's time to relinquish the title and go into the world. He will win, and beat that guy pretty hard. Then he'll realize how much of a fan that guy is, and that he's such an eager, nice guy with a family, someone he could've been friends with... if he didn't have that belt.

He'll realize how much he still has to learn "about boxing" and resolve to work even harder to make it to the world, "one day."

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I want to see Ippo punch this guy out before Itagaki even gets to the ring with Takamura's advice. I think that would actually redeem this whole match build-up for me.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Well that was ominous... How far behind the japanese releases are we currently? This chapter came out very fast.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
For fucks sake it's 13 pages again http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/56496182/1

Chapter was...yeah ominous, this talk of a kid sharing the name, I don't know, I get the feeling Ippo may actually kill this guy.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The only problem is, after Ippo kills this guy he's going to be all moody about boxing for 600 chapters.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

God, The fight better start next chapter, I'm sick of all this needless build up. Oh, and I bet Takamura's just going to crack some joke like what always happens when they cliffhanger it on one of his words of wisdom moments

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Quit trying to make us care about this challenger, we'd hate him even if you didn't write him acting like an rear end in a top hat because we're all tired of loving title defenses.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Ippo is going to hit the guy so hard that his wife miscarries, and Ippo will quit boxing. Takamura will be the main character and he's going to nail Kumi 3 chapters later and OHKO Mashiba.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Quit trying to make us care about this challenger, we'd hate him even if you didn't write him acting like an rear end in a top hat because we're all tired of loving title defenses.

Exactly. The only time anyone actually likes a challenger is if they're an absolute oval office that can back it up (Hawk) or actually have a personality (Sendo)

All this guy has done is badmouthed people and he isn't even justified in being a oval office because we don't know if he can actually box worth a drat to back it up.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Chapter 932

I do not like the direction this is going in.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

frabba posted:

Chapter 932

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Hajime no Ippo: I do not like the direction this is going in.

I'm cautiously optimistic; I feel like since we've got all the old rival characters, including :love: Miyata :love: watching we're going to see something that moves Ippo to the world (shut up let me hope), but we're probably going to see him take a beating first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

frabba posted:

Chapter 932

Take solace in the fact that it'll take half a year to get there.

Forever shall this be remembered as the glorious "Someone Made Fun Of Ippo And That Was It" arc.