Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

DancingKittycat posted:

Has anyone got a recommendation for a game with a good sense of character progression / loot progression? I've played most of the usual suspects including most MMOs. I have most consoles covered.

Have you tried King's Bounty: The Legend and its sequel Armored Princess? They're not exactly conventional RPGs, since the combat takes place with armies on a tactical map like a Heroes of Might & Magic game, but your character has a skill tree and equipment slots for gear that affects how your army fights, and can learn spells and powers to assist in combat. Most enemy and treasure placement is randomised to an extent, so there's a lot of replay value: the units and tactics you relied on in one playthrough may not be available to you in the next one. From what you've said, it seems like they might be your kind of thing. There's a thread here if you want more information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingKittycat
Jun 1, 2007

Bis 34 war i Sozialist, wor aa ka Beruf

Thuryl posted:

Have you tried King's Bounty: The Legend and its sequel Armored Princess? They're not exactly conventional RPGs, since the combat takes place with armies on a tactical map like a Heroes of Might & Magic game, but your character has a skill tree and equipment slots for gear that affects how your army fights, and can learn spells and powers to assist in combat. Most enemy and treasure placement is randomised to an extent, so there's a lot of replay value: the units and tactics you relied on in one playthrough may not be available to you in the next one. From what you've said, it seems like they might be your kind of thing. There's a thread here if you want more information.

Yes, they are great - unfortunately I already played them to death. Also love every other variation of HoMM / Age of Wonders / Disciples.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I've been looking all over for more games with a leveling system akin to the Elder Scrolls system, but they seem to be quite rare. That is, a system that levels up your abilities based on what you use. I really love that style 'cause it feels like it's automatically rewarding in ways that are specifically aimed just for my playstyle. You like fireballs, huh? Have a cone of napalm! I like unlocking new surprises as I play. The further a game moves towards "you can just any points into whatever you want at any time", the less interested I am, and this seems pretty popular right now.

Specifically what I'm looking for are newer PC games like this, but older ones are fine too, as well as Wii or DS games I guess. No PS3 or Xbox here, though. I'd like to find an option other than Darkfall...

The Fifteenth Pen
Jun 2, 2006
Yes.

XboxPants posted:

I've been looking all over for more games with a leveling system akin to the Elder Scrolls system, but they seem to be quite rare. That is, a system that levels up your abilities based on what you use. I really love that style 'cause it feels like it's automatically rewarding in ways that are specifically aimed just for my playstyle. You like fireballs, huh? Have a cone of napalm! I like unlocking new surprises as I play. The further a game moves towards "you can just any points into whatever you want at any time", the less interested I am, and this seems pretty popular right now.

Specifically what I'm looking for are newer PC games like this, but older ones are fine too, as well as Wii or DS games I guess. No PS3 or Xbox here, though. I'd like to find an option other than Darkfall...

The Rune Factory series on DS and Wii has a fairly similar system, though it combines farming with the ARPG stuff. Rune Factory 3, especially (there's no continuity between games except minor continuity between Rune Factory 1 and Rune Factory Frontier) has a system in which you have skills for drat near everything, even walking, sleeping, and eating! (Though fortunately the ones that'd be tedious if you *needed* to level them, like walking, don't do anything aside from boosting your stats when you level them up.) More to the point, though, it has one of the best crafting systems out there, and the different weapon types (in RF 3, at least) work the way you're looking for. The more you level up a weapon type, the more abilities for that weapon type you unlock, though I think there's only a handful of abilities per weapon type.

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
Since the Exit Fate thread is in archives, I figured this would probably be the place to ask. I just started Exit Fate and it's pretty good so far. I'm not sure if this is a game mechanic or something bugged out but I can't seem to find Cid, Rob, or Stromgaard after the Battle of Grunthill (Finally managed to get an A after 5 tries). I didn't have them in the active party prior to battle I guess the empty slot was taken up by Carson.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RentCavalier posted:

Just wanna say, I just downloaded Spirit Engine 2 and WOW. Am I impressed. This is really well-done, beautiful graphics, an interesting and unique battle system that adds new layers to ATB systems, and a rewarding difficulty curve. The writing is top-notch too. I'm only just starting in, just beat the first real boss, but if the game can keep up this level of quality, I'll be happy all the way.

Keep us updated! The 2D thing's definitely got me curious- how do they pull it off, exactly?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

singe posted:

Since the Exit Fate thread is in archives, I figured this would probably be the place to ask. I just started Exit Fate and it's pretty good so far. I'm not sure if this is a game mechanic or something bugged out but I can't seem to find Cid, Rob, or Stromgaard after the Battle of Grunthill (Finally managed to get an A after 5 tries). I didn't have them in the active party prior to battle I guess the empty slot was taken up by Carson.

For Cid, look aroun in Madrigal's inn- he should be a blond guy dressed all in white. He'll mention losing some sheet music in Blackwater; go to the innkeeper there to pick it up and bring it back to Cid. As a party member, he's not a bad spellcaster, but you should have better spellcasters already (Ljusalf for example).

Dunno who Rob is- you mean Mike?

Stromgaard can be found in the town of Credence, north of Matrech if you didn't recruit him in Alfheim. He's a solid combatant, and a very good back row sniper. That said, I prefer Col (if only because he has Scan, and affinity with Mike).

XboxPants posted:

Wizardry 8 does something like this, and combines it with skill points you get every level. It's really nice, but the game might not be for the 'RP an eight-headed hydra party' crowd. That said, you could have a Scottish-accented dragon samurai as a party member, and honestly, what else would you need?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 5, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Keep us updated! The 2D thing's definitely got me curious- how do they pull it off, exactly?
Watch this to get a sense of how TSE2 plays. Movement is on a 2D field with you generally moving from left to right on most screens. The entire game is mouse driven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjQgiArEQ64

There's also a lengthy description of it on the very first page of this thread that you've probably already seen.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gyoru posted:

Watch this to get a sense of how TSE2 plays. Movement is on a 2D field with you generally moving from left to right on most screens. The entire game is mouse driven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjQgiArEQ64

There's also a lengthy description of it on the very first page of this thread that you've probably already seen.

Huh, I missed the video, which is really what I was looking for. My inner elitist rear end in a top hat (and my outer one too) went nose-up at the sight of '2D' :v:

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.

CommissarMega posted:

stuff
No, I mean I had Col, Cid, Mike, Joe in my group, just not in my active fighting party. I used them in the battle and now they're just gone. I thought it was sort of like a Legends of Dragoon kind of character switching mechanic where you'll have the non fighting members in your entourage but they're all gone.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
The greatest crime that game publishers have committed in the past 10 years was not making a sequel to Nox. Jesus H. Christ, so many terrible games have gotten a sequel but not this game? In my opinion, Nox is definitely top 5 in action RPG's, surpassing Diablo 2 in terms of gameplay.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

singe posted:

No, I mean I had Col, Cid, Mike, Joe in my group, just not in my active fighting party. I used them in the battle and now they're just gone. I thought it was sort of like a Legends of Dragoon kind of character switching mechanic where you'll have the non fighting members in your entourage but they're all gone.

Have you tried talking to Carson? You can switch party members in and out by talking to him. If you can't, or if Carson's disappeared, then I suppose it'd be a bug.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

A list of my favourite RPG's in no particular order

Shining force 2 - Shining force series is a turn based strategy rpg series made by sega. IMO Shining force 2 is the best of the 3(shining force 3 is split into 3 games, only 1 of which made it out of Japan). Very fun game but different characters can range from being stupid overpowered to completely useless. The Shining force games being made now are god awful action rpgs.

Phantasy star 4 - This is easily the best rpg for the genesis. It was tons of fun and even let you pick from several characters for your party once you collected them all. My only problems with this game is that, as far as I know, the game doesn't tell you about the stupid strong combo attacks you can do. That and the dumb name for magic, sorry techniques, the game uses and you have no idea what spells do in most cases without a guide.

System Shock 2 - I'm pretty sure this counts as an RPG. This game needs no introduction, If you haven't played it you need to get it right loving now and play it. It's easily my favourite game.

Skies of Arcadia - Specifically the GameCube remake. The original was a great game. It has a good storyline, fun combat, and kickin rad airship battles. The GC remake fixed a lot of the problems the original had, mainly the constant random encounters every half step.

Arcanum - This is an old school steampunk rpg that I always go back to but have never actually beaten. The character maker is pretty neat as theres a ton of traits to give your character (my newest character is a retarded half-orc mage)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is certainly pretty sad that I can say I've played most of the games listed here, jrpgs not included. And now I'm jonesing for a new fix again :(

I've put Divinity 2 on hold for a moment since I am not in the mood for it at the moment, even though it is a quite fun game. I've played Alpha Protocol to death, and Dragon Age 2 is... well, awful.

Basically what I'd like is an rpg with if not a great story, then at least a great few ways of using the game's mechanisms or choices to affect outcomes, like the aforementioned Chalice in some areas.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Has anyone played any of the Legends of Heroes games? LoH: Trails in the Sky is coming out on PSP soon and I'm just wondering if I should care or not.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

Has anyone played any of the Legends of Heroes games? LoH: Trails in the Sky is coming out on PSP soon and I'm just wondering if I should care or not.

I didn't hear about this game until recently, but I decided to pre-order because Falcom is behind it and I love the YS series.

I haven't heard much about it beyond that.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
My new PSP Go is taking up all my free time with Nippon Ichi games, probably the most addicting RPGs of all time are on the system: ZHP, Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave, and Cladun. Anyone else have any recommendations for the PSP that aren't generally well-known?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I was doing some bored googling earlier and found out about this strange game called Xenoblade, apparently its a monolith game made by XG's director. Youtube has shown me that the music is really, really good and it does look interesting. The gameplay and exploration reminds me a lot of FF12, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Has anyone here imported it and played enough to comment on it?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It's on the Wii :negative:

If it's like FFXII I'll be first in line, though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

On the subject of Xenoblade, it's apparently just been confirmed that Xenoblade is coming to Europe: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/31/xenoblade-leaving-japan-landing-in-europe-as-xenoblade-chronicles/

Hopefully it's not just an April Fools day prank, the article was posted March 31st so that would be pretty dickish of them.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I highly doubt it would be an April fools day joke. Going through the trouble to get a teaser and register a site for a real, legit game and then going "HAHA, seriously, we're loving with you, this is never leaving Japan"

I don't think I've ever seen that done.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Black Stones posted:

I highly doubt it would be an April fools day joke. Going through the trouble to get a teaser and register a site for a real, legit game and then going "HAHA, seriously, we're loving with you, this is never leaving Japan"

I don't think I've ever seen that done.

It would be less than the amount of poo poo Capcom has put up online (both in Japan and localized to English, even!) following the development of a Megaman game that apparently hasn't even been greenlit. :psyduck:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, but that's not a joke, the guys actually want to create the game and are more than likely trying to show that there's support for the project so it will be greenlit.

Unless it does lead up to april fools where they go "No we were never going to make the game at all, eat poo poo. Haha."

Then I'll be a little more believing.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Someone discussed the game Over My Dead Body in this thread much earlier on, and it raised my interest in it.
Looks like they are remaking it, can't wait to play.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/30/over-my-dead-body-then-and-now/

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

ParagonParadox27 posted:

My new PSP Go is taking up all my free time with Nippon Ichi games, probably the most addicting RPGs of all time are on the system: ZHP, Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave, and Cladun. Anyone else have any recommendations for the PSP that aren't generally well-known?

Jeanne d'arc was a great little strategy title for the psp that was underacclaimed.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

TheOriginalEd posted:

Jeanne d'arc was a great little strategy title for the psp that was underacclaimed.

I can agree with that--it's a game I picked up on a whim and found myself drawn into, at least until FFXIII came out and I focused on beating that during some time off from work.

It's an admittedly different look at the Joan of Arc legend, and I think they didn't do too badly in converting it over. I'd love to go back and work some more on it, but my PSP has decided to go missing on me.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

singe posted:

is this game actually any good? I recently finished Suikoden V and have also played and loved Suikoden I and II, supposedly this game is very similar to them but since it was iirc made by a goon I'm a bit suspicious of the quality of it

also posting to ask for general recommendations for PSX/PS2. I've read so many reviews but I kind of want personal opinions from real people. Preferably looking for something with an interesting and well fleshed out plot

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

is this game actually any good? I recently finished Suikoden V and have also played and loved Suikoden I and II, supposedly this game is very similar to them but since it was iirc made by a goon I'm a bit suspicious of the quality of it

If you were able to play through Suikoden 5 and not be completely appalled by its amount of IʻM AN ANIME and its utterly bullshit recruiting conditions, you could endure even the shittiest RPGMaker game. I hear itʻs pretty good anyway, so itʻs not like you have anything to worry about.

v then might i suggest that you visit one of those rmxp dev sites, i hear theyʻre full of games that you would just love

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 4, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Suikoden V was ace :colbert:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

also posting to ask for general recommendations for PSX/PS2. I've read so many reviews but I kind of want personal opinions from real people. Preferably looking for something with an interesting and well fleshed out plot

Have you played either of the Persona games? They're the first RPG's that come to mind that have a good story.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I swear by the first Front Mission, myself. Oddly enough for a jRPG it is entirely free of supernatural such and such and the main character isn't like, some goddamn chosen one who everyone goes on and on about.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Cake Attack posted:

Have you played either of the Persona games? They're the first RPG's that come to mind that have a good story.

I've played 2 and 3, been holding off on the fourth because I got what I think is a major twist/reveal spoiled and it's made me less interested in it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I've played 2 and 3, been holding off on the fourth because I got what I think is a major twist/reveal spoiled and it's made me less interested in it

I'd say play it anyways. One of the best things about Persona 4's plot is the characters, and so it should still be worth playing. For curiosities sake, what was the twist you found out?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Cake Attack posted:

I'd say play it anyways. One of the best things about Persona 4's plot is the characters, and so it should still be worth playing. For curiosities sake, what was the twist you found out?
the identity of the killer

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Paperhouse posted:

the identity of the killer

For what it's worth, I had this spoiled before I played the game and I still really enjoyed it. Of course, my threshold for spoilers is really high and even if I get them I can usually still enjoy the content involved, so your mileage may vary.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah i'm sure I would have a great time with it really it's just never been high up on my list since the spoilers

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 12, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All of the tilesets are ripped straight from Suikoden 2 which bugs me a lot.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
The identity of the killer is 100% obvious anyway if you aren't a big loving idiot. Gee who could it be, it's definitely not this guy who keeps showing up randomly to "accidentally" feed the kids info and has no point otherwise in the story.

Coolio fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Coolio posted:

The identity of the killer is 100% obvious anyway if you aren't a big loving idiot. Gee who could it be, it's definitely not this guy who keeps showing up randomly to feed the kids info and has no point otherwise in the story.

To be completely fair The "stupid bumbling dude who accidentally lets things slip which help the protagonists" trope is pretty common. Although I will admit it becomes pretty obvious around the time you actually need to finger them.