Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

air- posted:

What I kinda dig are Gen2 wheels on the Gen1 MS3 (not my car):

drat.. that does look good. Not sure I've ever seen that done before but it looks fantastic.

I do like the gen2 wheels on the gen2 as well.. (this is my car)

They also look good on the RX-8

IOwnCalculus posted:

And if the OEM pads on the MS6 are anything like those on the MS3, your pads will practically shed dust while your car is parked. They work great but generate insane amounts of dust. The Hawks I have now are great because they only lost a little initial bite but have almost no dust.
Yep.. they dust horribly. My wheels look filthy after only 2-3 days, and I'm not very hard on the brakes, I slow down mostly by downshifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Brain Issues posted:

They also look good on the RX-8

Not the same wheels

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

air- posted:

What I kinda dig are Gen2 wheels on the Gen1 MS3 (not my car):

ffffffffff that looks good

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

opengl128 posted:

Not the same wheels

Yes they are, just a different color.
I'm wrong

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 1, 2011

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Brain Issues posted:

Yep.. they dust horribly. My wheels look filthy after only 2-3 days, and I'm not very hard on the brakes, I slow down mostly by downshifting.

May I ask why? It seems like brakes are much easier to replace than clutches, syncros, transmissions, etc. If I am going down a canyon or something, then obviously I am going to be in a lower gear, but 99% of my driving, I use the brakes.

And yeah, my MS6 sheds brake dust like crazy. It gives me a lot of satisfaction to see how brilliantly the silver stands out against the red paint when I get them really clean though!

Rhyno Grats on the purchase. I would have loved to find one with that low of miles. I thought that finding mine with 47K for $15K was a great find. Is yours the Sport trim or the GT? Sunroof, SatNav?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Somewhat Heroic posted:

May I ask why? It seems like brakes are much easier to replace than clutches, syncros, transmissions, etc. If I am going down a canyon or something, then obviously I am going to be in a lower gear, but 99% of my driving, I use the brakes.

If I know that the stop is coming a good bit ahead of time, I will engine brake to slow down to save on pads and maybe slightly on gas. Obviously its not feasible ALL the time to only engine brake as you cant engine brake nearly as quickly as you can brake with the brake pedal. Regarding extra wear on the clutch/syncros/trans.. if you revmatch properly you're not really causing any extra wear on anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Rhyno Grats on the purchase. I would have loved to find one with that low of miles. I thought that finding mine with 47K for $15K was a great find. Is yours the Sport trim or the GT? Sunroof, SatNav?

The dealer had it listed as a Sport but it has the leather seats and sunroof which I was told only came on the GT. Either way I'm happy as those were the only options I wanted.

SiB
May 6, 2005

tonedef131 posted:

My question is that when we were test driving the 3 I noticed when you turned on the headlights a strange humming noise came from the passenger side headlamp. It wasn't an idle up, the engine stayed the same and it was definitely coming from the headlamp assembly. Is this a bad sign? It was pretty loud and if that mean the unit is on it's way out he should be aware because I assume that isn't a super cheap fix.

Are you sure it wasn't the electric/hydraulic power steering? The motor and pump is located behind/below the passenger side headlamp and its very loud. The SPEED cars do not have electric power steering.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Gen2 Speeds have the electric/hydraulic power steering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what are my options on stereo replacement? From what I've read if I replace the Bose head unit the steering wheel controls become useless? Does the stock unit do MP3s?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Yea, after the 08.5 model launched, they became 6 disc and mp3 compatible. Not sure about regular 3's but I know the MS3's are.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So what are my options on stereo replacement? From what I've read if I replace the Bose head unit the steering wheel controls become useless? Does the stock unit do MP3s?

It's a galactic nightmare. Replacing the head unit will disable the little trip computer, or you have to keep the stock head unit still wired up in addition to your new head unit (probably in the glovebox).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well in other news, my MS6 left Jersey a little while ago and should be here my mid week or so.

Edit: Or NOT! The driver just called and said they got their wires crossed and it's going to be here in 11 hours!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 5, 2011

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've noticed this a few times on my 09 MS3 and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this/if it's normal. I have a little over 13k miles on it. I bought it from another person in town with 12k miles.

When I get home or I'm parked/sitting/idling somewhere in neutral, with the clutch engaged, I'll hear some rattling/chattering from the clutch. If I press in the pedal the sound goes away. It's not loud, but it's noticeable if you're somewhere quiet.

Is my throwout bearing going bad, or is this normal? I've done some very limited searching and found that other MS3 owners have experienced this, but I'm not sure if this is something I should take the car to a dealer for, since it's still under the factory warranty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Try turning your A/C on and off. If that makes the noise louder with the A/C on and quieter with it off, that joins my Miata, my MS3, and my Ranger as all doing the exact same thing.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

MetaJew posted:

I've noticed this a few times on my 09 MS3 and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this/if it's normal. I have a little over 13k miles on it. I bought it from another person in town with 12k miles.

When I get home or I'm parked/sitting/idling somewhere in neutral, with the clutch engaged, I'll hear some rattling/chattering from the clutch. If I press in the pedal the sound goes away. It's not loud, but it's noticeable if you're somewhere quiet.

Is my throwout bearing going bad, or is this normal? I've done some very limited searching and found that other MS3 owners have experienced this, but I'm not sure if this is something I should take the car to a dealer for, since it's still under the factory warranty.

I had this exact problem, and my dealer said it is a bearing, so they rebuilt the gear box. The noise didn't go away, so I took it back and they were cool enough to get permission from Mazda for a brand new gear box.

The noise is still there. I have decided to just live with it. If you are lucky enough to have an awesome dealer, you may get a new gearbox out of it but it wont do anything to fix it.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Are colder plugs required for an AccessPort? I believe I'm only at a Stage 1 if I did flash (93 octane, intake+inlet; all stock otherwise)

As stated earlier, a downpipe would probably come after the AP at some point. So would the cold plugs be better early on or once I decide to get tuned?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sublime Process posted:

Yea, after the 08.5 model launched, they became 6 disc and mp3 compatible. Not sure about regular 3's but I know the MS3's are.

Actually my 2006 has 6CD + MP3/WMA. I installed that one from the OEM accessory catalog, stock it came with a single CD audio only. 2004-2005 there was a single CD MP3 player, or 6CD CD Audio only. It's kinda confusing really, there may be more varieties of course.
edit: OHH I am talking about the 3. My bad. They should be similar but maybe not???

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

The gearbox chatter perfectly normal. I've got it in my 2010 MS3 and have had it in other cars as well. Most notably a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T. The noise started after I swapped out the heavy-rear end dual mass flywheel and clutch combination with a traditional 14lb flywheel and clutch. There's just a lot of play in transaxles today it seems.

I'm surprised the dealer replaced the box under warranty. Might be useful down the line if you have other troubles with the box that they won't cover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's here.

But I'm stuck at work for another 90 minutes!

Edit: Hahahahahah! I loving love it!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 5, 2011

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

It's here.

But I'm stuck at work for another 90 minutes!

Edit: Hahahahahah! I loving love it!

Oh man, that was fast. Post some pics please!

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Actually my 2006 has 6CD + MP3/WMA. I installed that one from the OEM accessory catalog, stock it came with a single CD audio only. 2004-2005 there was a single CD MP3 player, or 6CD CD Audio only. It's kinda confusing really, there may be more varieties of course.
edit: OHH I am talking about the 3. My bad. They should be similar but maybe not???

I had an 04 MZ3 that was a 6 disc, but no MP3 - you are right in that aspect. I'm not sure about pre-08.5 MS3's though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

07 MS3 GT here - six disc, no MP3.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Lilbeefer posted:

I had this exact problem, and my dealer said it is a bearing, so they rebuilt the gear box. The noise didn't go away, so I took it back and they were cool enough to get permission from Mazda for a brand new gear box.

The noise is still there. I have decided to just live with it. If you are lucky enough to have an awesome dealer, you may get a new gearbox out of it but it wont do anything to fix it.

SynMoo posted:

The gearbox chatter perfectly normal. I've got it in my 2010 MS3 and have had it in other cars as well. Most notably a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T. The noise started after I swapped out the heavy-rear end dual mass flywheel and clutch combination with a traditional 14lb flywheel and clutch. There's just a lot of play in transaxles today it seems.

I'm surprised the dealer replaced the box under warranty. Might be useful down the line if you have other troubles with the box that they won't cover.

That's sort of relieving, but it does seem loud to me. I never noticed this kind of noise on my 170k mile 240sx (but that thing had so many rattles that maybe I couldn't hear it if it did!).

If I find some free time I'll probably take it to the dealership just to get some record of it. I also need to buy some oil filters so I'll kill two birds with one stone. This would be under drive train warranty work if something were going bad, right? I've never had a car under warranty. Do they bill you if you take it in for something like this?

IOwnCalculus posted:

So glad I got an 09 now. I didn't realize that the 07-08 models didn't have MP3 cd players.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Lame!
You got shafted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

Oh man, that was fast. Post some pics please!

I was so hyped to drive it I only took one picture last night which is on my camera which is in the car. Pics will be up later today!
It's stupidly fast, I drat near peed myself when it boosted the first time.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I was so hyped to drive it I only took one picture last night which is on my camera which is in the car. Pics will be up later today!
It's stupidly fast, I drat near peed myself when it boosted the first time.

Don't worry. It'll feel slow in about a week and you'll be itching to mod. :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

Don't worry. It'll feel slow in about a week and you'll be itching to mod. :D

It has a lovely Autozone intake so I'm already there!

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Dear god, get rid of that. I'd be surprised if your MAF is metering properly.

Grab one from cp-e or Cobb or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

Dear god, get rid of that. I'd be surprised if your MAF is metering properly.

Grab one from cp-e or Cobb or something.

I plan to. It was inspected in Jersey but I'm still having it looked over just in case. And then it's intake and exhaust time!
And man, getting off the interstate last night a Grand Prix cut me off and I took such joy in blowing past him effortlessly.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I plan to. It was inspected in Jersey but I'm still having it looked over just in case. And then it's intake and exhaust time!
And man, getting off the interstate last night a Grand Prix cut me off and I took such joy in blowing past him effortlessly.

It really is great when you completely dominate an rear end in a top hat driver who thinks he's hot poo poo. :D

Enjoy, but remember: With great power, comes a lot of fun. Err.. responsibility.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's a horrible cell phone pic until later.

I was walking away and I swear the car called for me to come back.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

My 08.5 does the same thing, but usually only after a longer drive and everything is real hot. Its not super easy to reproduce so I've just ignored it for now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Lame!
You got shafted.

Meh, I would really much rather have good Bluetooth integration. The $90 head unit I threw in my Ranger is awesome for it but I'm torn on how much of a pain it is to keep steering wheel controls / losing the (useless) trip computer, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PICTURE TIME!

Here's yesterday after I ran it around the block a few times.

Here's today after I took off the dealer stuff and washed her.

You can see the bumper damage in this one

26K miles!

And now the bad.
The bumper dent. Looks like they drilled a hole and tried to pop it out.

A scratch

This is the worst, damage to the clear on the hood.

And in the whole interior this is the only flaw I can find

Overall it's fantastic looking. Already had a buddy look over the body work and thinks he can do it cheap which will leave money for MODDING!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Looks very nice, take good care of it :)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Meh, I would really much rather have good Bluetooth integration. The $90 head unit I threw in my Ranger is awesome for it but I'm torn on how much of a pain it is to keep steering wheel controls / losing the (useless) trip computer, etc.

I agree, that would be nice. I thought of experimenting with putting a new head unit behind an older faceplate, but the Bluetooth controls are on the steering wheel, so there would be no way to access the functions, making it pointless.

Loss of functionality is why I bought the expensive OEM MP3 cd changer rather than an aftermarket headunit right off the bat. At the time, there were no steering wheel adapter interfaces, either. I am so used to steering wheel controls now that I hit the horn with my thumb on a rental car while instinctively going for the volume. Oops. :)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

PICTURE TIME!
Nice :)

I could definitely live with those flaws, especially given the low price of $15k you paid for it. What is that around ~12k off sticker price with hardly any mileage at all? That's a drat good deal you got. It should have whole lots of life left in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

Nice :)

I could definitely live with those flaws, especially given the low price of $15k you paid for it. What is that around ~12k off sticker price with hardly any mileage at all? That's a drat good deal you got. It should have whole lots of life left in it.

I [i[could[/i] live with the flaws but my buddy's quoting me a stupid low price for the hood and bumper repair so I can't pass it up. He's gonna fix every major flaw we can see and re-clear it. After that it's mod-time.

Suggestions?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

I [i[could[/i] live with the flaws but my buddy's quoting me a stupid low price for the hood and bumper repair so I can't pass it up. He's gonna fix every major flaw we can see and re-clear it.
:hawaaaafap: That is so awesome dude. You're lucky :)

Rhyno posted:

After that it's mod-time.

Suggestions?
Haven't really read into mods very much because mine is under warranty and I don't wanna gently caress with it. Seems like you wanna upgrade the secondary fuel pump first, because these engines are direct injected and are rather limited by the stock camshaft driven fuel pump.

After that maybe a CAI, downpipe, catback exhaust, bigger intercooler, and accessport tune. If you really want more power get a bigger turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

:hawaaaafap: That is so awesome dude. You're lucky :)

Haven't really read into mods very much because mine is under warranty and I don't wanna gently caress with it. Seems like you wanna upgrade the secondary fuel pump first, because these engines are direct injected and are rather limited by the stock camshaft driven fuel pump.

After that maybe a CAI, downpipe, catback exhaust, bigger intercooler, and accessport tune. If you really want more power get a bigger turbo.

Those are all pretty much on my list as well as upgraded suspension. I have about $3K left to play with so I might be able to do all of this pretty quick. And another buddy of mine tells me his brother works at the Import Doctors and I could get a deal on professional installation.

And I think now we can have out Fort Wayne Mazda meet.