Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

dangerz posted:

Why no marching cubes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ugg boots posted:

First off, that looks awesome. Second, if you target .NET 4.0 then you get access to their ConcurrentDictionary which is a lockless dictionary. Just an FYI.

.NET? :ughh: so much for portability

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

cultureulterior posted:

Why no marching cubes?
I read about marching cubes and I'll implement them eventually. Right now I have a lot of other things I want to learn.

ColdPie posted:

Well I wanted to learn XNA, so...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ColdPie posted:

I love when peole jump on a chance to bash Microsoft products without actually reading the thread.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I'd been thinking lately that slide decks were a really good way to present tutorials and similar information, because they break concepts up into bitesize chunks, so the reader doesn't have to absorb walls of text (which some people have an aversion to). I've also found that it helps me condense and crystalize my thoughts when I have to make them be discrete little chunks. So this Saturday I decided to sit down and make a slideshow builder/viewer in Javascript.

Here it is showing my testing deck. My apologies for it being so boring -- I haven't built any "real" decks yet. The slideshow widget itself purposefully doesn't look like anything, so that it can be embedded anywhere. It's one Javascript file, with zero dependencies. It handles everything for you -- loading the slides over the network, wiring up events to the controls, etc. -- so long as you can manage to name things properly.

I'm a systems/admin/backend kinda guy, so bootstrapping myself on the language and how to do things the non-lovely way was pretty fun, especially the animation and event-handling logic. I got the basic concept working in half a day, then spent a handful of hours on the next two days polishing and refactoring. Right now it works as intended and has no known bugs.

Someone has pointed out that there is no way to jump to a specific slide, which is an intentional omission -- I'm thinking it would be much more useful to let individual slides declare that they begin a new "section" of a presentation, and build a control to allow jumping to those slides. This, to me, is of far greater utility than jumping to an arbitrary (unlabelled, half-remembered) slide.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 30, 2011

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I love when peole jump on a chance to bash Microsoft products without actually reading the thread.
Welcome to ColdPie.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

ColdPie posted:

You do realize he's already using .NET, right? Dumbass.

Fake Edit: Yeah yeah, I realize it's just ColdPie.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

In Monsterland, you can save anytime. Nowadays, it's a feature!

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
Me and two other friends have been working on an Android game for the last 5 weeks, and today we were finally able to upload our lite version to the market today. It's a puzzle game that has you using mirrors and prisms to bounce colored lasers around to hit the corresponding checkpoints. It would be great if anybody interested would download it and tell me what you think of it. It's called Refraction and are planning on releasing the paid version in a week. Here's the market link: http://ow.ly/4q1xl

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just sent it to my phone, it looks pretty neat :)

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

lmao zebong posted:

Me and two other friends have been working on an Android game for the last 5 weeks, and today we were finally able to upload our lite version to the market today. It's a puzzle game that has you using mirrors and prisms to bounce colored lasers around to hit the corresponding checkpoints. It would be great if anybody interested would download it and tell me what you think of it. It's called Refraction and are planning on releasing the paid version in a week. Here's the market link:

This game is fun.

Some things I've noticed:

The handles sometimes go off the screen or overlap buttons. They're really hard to grab when they're right on the edge of the screen.
It would be nice if prisms remembered their directions. This and the above combine for extra frustration. When trying to adjust a prism near the edge of the screen it's easy to pick it up by mistake and then you lose the one light beam you've already set up properly.
Sometimes wormholes don't work.
Its not clear what the logic is when 3 light beams hit a prism or mirror.

Lobe
Jul 27, 2009

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

lmao zebong posted:

Me and two other friends have been working on an Android game for the last 5 weeks, and today we were finally able to upload our lite version to the market today. It's a puzzle game that has you using mirrors and prisms to bounce colored lasers around to hit the corresponding checkpoints. It would be great if anybody interested would download it and tell me what you think of it. It's called Refraction and are planning on releasing the paid version in a week. Here's the market link: http://ow.ly/4q1xl

Responded to your reddit post. I'm the one that asked about having some kind of notification as to which laser you're adjusting. Just beat level 20.. big fan of this game. I did get a force close once and I sent that report. When I was adjusting a prism, I sent one of its beams to another prism that totally threw every single thing off. When I moved the beam, everything was thrown off and I had the forced close.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

Thanks for the feedback guys. The wormhole issue along with some others should be cleared up with an update I just published (1.02), so if you download that it should go away. We've also discussed the issue of a prism on the edge of the grid, but haven't really come up with a decent solution as how to deal with that situation unfortunately. We came into this game with the idea to have a easy to use UI, so any suggestions as how we could make this game better are much appreciated.

We're planning on releasing a paid version with 120 total different levels, and I would be interested in what you guys, after playing this game, would think is an appropriate price point.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

lmao zebong posted:

Quite enjoying this - one thing I would say is that with as these types of puzzles get more complex, it's quite fun to examine your handiwork for a few seconds after you're finished, and the system you use doesn't allow that. I don't know how you'd make the "mission complete" message less invasive though.

e: yeah, I'm getting the wormholes thing too, it sometimes takes a few tries to get them or work properly

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 31, 2011

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

lmao zebong posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys. The wormhole issue along with some others should be cleared up with an update I just published (1.02), so if you download that it should go away. We've also discussed the issue of a prism on the edge of the grid, but haven't really come up with a decent solution as how to deal with that situation unfortunately. We came into this game with the idea to have a easy to use UI, so any suggestions as how we could make this game better are much appreciated.

We're planning on releasing a paid version with 120 total different levels, and I would be interested in what you guys, after playing this game, would think is an appropriate price point.
Still having some wormhole issues (after updating last night). I also had a weird issue on level 19. After placing a whole bunch of prisms down, I was shooting a purple line from one wormhole to another. When I rotated the laser to go through the wormhole, as soon as it hit the wormhole all of the other laser colors changed. I couldn't get them to go back no matter what I did, so I deleted every mirror and prism I had on the screen. The colors went back to normal but the purple laser stayed on the screen going diagonal from the wormhole. It wasn't attached to anything.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

Yeah, it turned out our fix for wormholes dealt with one issue but not another. Unfortunately the publishing section of the market was down so we couldn't push the update that fixes it (1.0.3) for over 5 hours :( we already got a lot of comments about wormholes not working, but thankfully no bad reviews over it. I've tested wormholes extensively in 1.0.3 and they seem to be working fine.

Thank you all for the extensive bug and feature reporting, it's really helping! This game turned out to be a hell of a lot more complex than we though it was initially going to be. dangerz, I believe your issue stems from the complex situation that arises every once in a while where you manage to have a laser somehow alter one of it's parent laser instances, and that just sends the whole chain for a crazy loop. We've managed to find and fix a lot of these situations, but just the way the system is set up it's hard to effectively deal with them all. Although the laser staying put coming out of the wormhole should hopefully be fixed with 1.0.3

Jonnty, if you actually press the back button when the completion box appears, it will dismiss the completion screen and you can sit back and admire your handiwork :) we specifically set that up so you would be able to do that (since we do it all the time), but from letting it out into the wild shows that most people are not aware you can cancel dialogue boxes with the back button. We might add a neutral "back" option to the completion screen in the future.

It's very encouraging to see people in this thread enjoying our game :) we saw the current sad state of the Android game market and really just wanted to make products that look nice, control easily and are fun to play.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

lmao zebong posted:

We've also discussed the issue of a prism on the edge of the grid, but haven't really come up with a decent solution as how to deal with that situation unfortunately.

When a prism is placed near the edge of the grid have the default outward beam positions be somewhere on the screen.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Ugg boots posted:

You do realize he's already using .NET, right? Dumbass.

Fake Edit: Yeah yeah, I realize it's just ColdPie.

In my defense, I was responding to using .NET in general, not specifically to your suggestion to target .NET4. So I did read the thread, and then jumped in to (rightfully) bash MS products.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
A bot system for Bejeweled-style games. So far supporting Puzzle Quest: CotW, Bejeweled Blitz, and to a lesser extent Bejeweled 3.

Screenshots are pointless so here's a video of it playing Blitz.

The logic that determines what moves to make is pretty good, but the image "recognition" (color averaging) isn't that great and can result in the bot getting stuck. But I haven't come up with a better method yet.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

A bot system for Bejeweled-style games. So far supporting Puzzle Quest: CotW, Bejeweled Blitz, and to a lesser extent Bejeweled 3.

Screenshots are pointless so here's a video of it playing Blitz.

The logic that determines what moves to make is pretty good, but the image "recognition" (color averaging) isn't that great and can result in the bot getting stuck. But I haven't come up with a better method yet.

Ahaha this is awesome.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

I'm peeved that DNF and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are so far away. I decided to start (or restart, depending on how much code I use from Devil Gear Solid) and make a 2D stealth game. Hoping to have a decent demo by the end of the weekend.

I suck at drawing sprites.

Jo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 16, 2011

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Is the problem that the averaging itself is somewhat inaccurate, or that it has to "recognize" quickly so it can make a fast move? If it's the latter, maybe you can figure out in advance which jewels will change and cut down on the screen locations you care about?

Excellent work so far, by the by.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

pokeyman posted:

Is the problem that the averaging itself is somewhat inaccurate, or that it has to "recognize" quickly so it can make a fast move? If it's the latter, maybe you can figure out in advance which jewels will change and cut down on the screen locations you care about?

Excellent work so far, by the by.
The averaging itself is inaccurate. As far as I know the performance hit isn't major.
It's not so bad with Puzzle Quest, the first game I implemented, because there are only nine gems and they are almost all significantly different colors. But Blitz has seven gems, each of which can be changed into one of two power gem types (both of which will modify its color differently), or have a multiplier (1-8x) applied on top of it. Which makes recognizing them just by their color kind of a bitch.

And thanks! At some point I'll be releasing this code, but I have the curse of perfectionism.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 2, 2011

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

ColdPie posted:

In my defense, I was responding to using .NET in general, not specifically to your suggestion to target .NET4.
That's not a defense.

TehWhale
Mar 28, 2010

lmao zebong posted:

Looks interesting, any plans for an iOS version?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

lmao zebong posted:

Jonnty, if you actually press the back button when the completion box appears, it will dismiss the completion screen and you can sit back and admire your handiwork :) we specifically set that up so you would be able to do that (since we do it all the time), but from letting it out into the wild shows that most people are not aware you can cancel dialogue boxes with the back button. We might add a neutral "back" option to the completion screen in the future.

Sweet. Might be worth adding a "next level" button somewhere when you've completed it so you don't have to go back and select the level from the menu but that's just a niggle. Also, given that with these games it's quite fun to try completing it with the lowest usage of "resources" possible, it might be worth saving people's solutions to levels so you can go back and try and make it better later? Even if it just remembered the most recent arrangement and you just pressed "reset" to try it again. Also, some sort of "high score" type thing where the lowest number of each thing used is recorded might be fun I guess? Again, just enhancements that might end up cluttering the game unnecessarily for most people.

I'm still getting force closes sometimes when fiddling with lasers, though it's not clear what the common factor is other than (I think) rotating a prism in the middle of a chain (though that obviously doesn't always cause a crash). Also, there's sometimes conflicts where a prism is splitting a single beam and really you want it to combine two which are pointing at it, and it's not always intuitive how to make it do what you want. If that's not very helpful I'll play around a bit and see if I can work out when these things happen a bit better.

Despite those two slight annoyances (though a force close, meaning you have to redo everything, can sometimes be quite a blessing!) I've completed all the levels and found it really fun and challenging. I'm hooked - I'd probably pay something like £2-4 for the 120 extra levels, definitely.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 3, 2011

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i cloned a game: http://secretvolcanobase.org/~tef/cave.html imgur is down and it's hard to get a shot of it in action

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

i cloned a game: http://secretvolcanobase.org/~tef/cave.html imgur is down and it's hard to get a shot of it in action

That is loving awesome tef!

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

So i've been having an absolute whirl making a 3D software renderer in flash with the idea of making a late 80s era 'first ever' 3D game in the vein of Carrier Command and I, Robot. Thanks to help from the flash thread and the cobol IRC channel i've managed to get it to run at a reasonable fillrate and now it loads models from VRML/X3D files!

You can have a look at it here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6564397/3dr/3DRenderer.html

edit: Now with spaceships!!

brian fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 6, 2011

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

tef posted:

One thing that's always confused me about browser games such as this is that they take up 100% CPU. Obviously that game should be taking a fraction of a percent on any hardware in the past two decades. Is there a way to limit the framerate to something reasonable so that doesn't happen? If so, why does no one do it? If not, why not?

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
Working on a retro game.
You play a villain in the Silent Film Era. NTSC Filter included for retrolicious goodness.

There's also a video of just basic movement and the NTSC filter here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5lVnS5mUMw

There will be fiendish moustache twiddling.

DrMelon fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 5, 2011

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

ColdPie posted:

One thing that's always confused me about browser games such as this is that they take up 100% CPU. Obviously that game should be taking a fraction of a percent on any hardware in the past two decades. Is there a way to limit the framerate to something reasonable so that doesn't happen? If so, why does no one do it? If not, why not?

I found it ran very choppy in Firefox, not at all in IE7 and ran like a dream in Chrome.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
If it's written in JS which it looks like it is, it'll probably run better in FF4, also.

I can't get it to run on this netbook at any kind of playable framerate even in chrome so I'll have to try it again when I get home.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

UraniumAnchor posted:

If it's written in JS which it looks like it is, it'll probably run better in FF4, also.

I can't get it to run on this netbook at any kind of playable framerate even in chrome so I'll have to try it again when I get home.

It runs extremely choppy on FF4 for me, basically unplayable. Smooth as butter in Chrome though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

UraniumAnchor posted:

My point is, your netbook can play this game. It's the overhead of the technology that's too huge to be playable. Why is that? Why hasn't that been fixed yet?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Actually, once I closed the tab in Firefox it ran quite smoothly in Chrome. :downs:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It looks like Firefox doesn't like big paths. At the first loop in loop(), over ceil, I moved the ctx.beginPath/ctx.stroke() from outside the loop inside, and I commented out the unnecessary ctx.beginPath() before the second loop, over blocks. That improved performance substantially, making the average frame rate reasonable. Unfortunately, the game is still unplayable because it can't handle any pauses and Firefox stutters all the time (and that's Firefox's fault, not technology overhead).

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
https://github.com/tef/cave fwiw if you fancy hacking on it.

it was the product of a lazy morning and I have been too lazy to use other browsers beyond chrome to test it.

the 100% cpu thing is because I don't turn off the rendering loop :v:

MEAT TREAT posted:

That is loving awesome tef!

tef fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

dangerz posted:

Making lots of progress on my minecraft-style game. I have a lot more updates at http://dangerz.blogspot.com as I've been using that as a developer diary. Here are the latest screenshots:

I'm working on loading/unloading chunks now without having collisions due to threading. As you can see, I'm also having issues with my textures there but I'll figure that out after the chunk loading/unloading.

Being really new to game design, I'm still learning a lot of techniques that have probably been in use for a while. It's been a lot of fun though so it's well worth it.

Before I get yelled at for copying Minecraft, know that I just wanted to learn how to make a 3d game and Minecraft looked really neat to try and mimic. It looks so simple to putz around in but when it comes time to actually creating it, it's proven to be pretty challenging.

Hey this is cool. Don't really have much else to say since your developer diary does a good job of answering questions about the process. Keep up the good work.

Any feelings about sharing the source somewhere?