Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Could be. Also Lagana is starting to get better as an interviewer, I think he's suffering from the fact that he doesn't really know what he's doing, but he'll get better. I think Cabana is becoming a better interviewer, too, but I know AOW isn't for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
Pretty cool interview with Roddy Piper on The Law this week. He seemed to be in an exceptionally good mood. Or maybe it was the fact that it was 11:30 PM and he had probably knocked back more than a few, already.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's got an interview with Carey Silkin up. It's good so far, but it bothers me that I can hear him type on the computer while Carey is talking. It just bugs me because a) It's not that hard to edit out unless you are using a real backwards setup and b) it's kind of disrespectful.

Re: WWE. I understand what you're saying, I just kinda sat there and listened to what they said and thought "That's hosed up." Bryan kind of affirmed that but I had reached the conclusion that it was a hosed corporate environment even if they didn't come out and say it straight. I guess they just talked about it as if it were normal, and would mention things off handedly and I thought by god, that is messed up.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Karmine posted:

Dave internally debating whether or not Vince was actually waterskiing when he came up with the idea for wrestlemania was also pretty funny.

The best part of the WO's with Dave is he'll get into a sort of trance thinking about something and when Bryan tries to change the subject, Dave just keeps talking about it. He gets into his own little world while speaking out loud. It's hilarious.

E: Also "Why would people order Wrestlemania now when they've already seen Kane play the trumpet on free tv?"

Akileese fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 29, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Borh posted:

Pretty cool interview with Roddy Piper on The Law this week. He seemed to be in an exceptionally good mood. Or maybe it was the fact that it was 11:30 PM and he had probably knocked back more than a few, already.
That reminds me, I haven't listened to the new episode, great to hear that there's a Piper interview. Piper comes off as charming in every interview I've heard with him. The shoot he did with Ric Flair is really kind of sweet, they seem to have such a strong friendship with a lot of mutual admiration for each other.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Every single podcast makes the same error:

Santino's visual is not a Trumpet. Santino is pretending to move a slide, thus he is pretending to play a Trombone.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Neodoomium posted:

Santino's visual is not a Trumpet. Santino is pretending to move a slide, thus he is pretending to play a Trombone.
That's what Santino wants us to think...

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Neodoomium posted:

He got it right last night, someone clued him in

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

I almost died laughing atthe free WO show today. The topic of Rima Fakih's school came up and she'd previously claimed that there was a shooting or stabbling at her school every day which led to this exchange (paraphrasing):

Bryan: If anyone can find me a school where there was a shooting or stabbing EVERY DAY, I will give you $100
Dave: How many consecutive days does it need to be on?
Bryan: A full school year. Three-hundred-and-sixty-five days
Dave: That's going to be hard. That's a long shot. I don't think you're going to find one
Bryan: That's the point
Dave: ...................... What if it was 365 stabbings in 1 day instead?

"Okay, I'd give a hundred dollars for that too."

Never thought I'd laugh at a school shooting joke.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
That reminds me of the sad joke when Meltzer and Bryan were talking about wrestlers asking Dave to tell them when it's time to retire. Dave was like "Do you know how many wrestlers asked me to tell them when it's time? Well, most of them are dead! hahaha....... I shouldn't laugh, that's not funny :smith:"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Took the WO plunge today. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Have to drive to Iowa and back for work this weekend with some coworkers so I figured I'd need some podcasts to keep me company.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If they could no longer perform at the standard of Undertaker's dong.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah when Bryan mentioned that Triple H was interrupted by Undertaker's dong, I laughed so hard I almost swerved off the road.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

Yeah when Bryan mentioned that Triple H was interrupted by Undertaker's dong, I laughed so hard I almost swerved off the road.

I heard this 10 minutes after subscribing and said "yep, this was the right decision"

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I heard this 10 minutes after subscribing and said "yep, this was the right decision"

Hahaha it was a free show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

Hahaha it was a free show.

touche.

but they're not all free. and this just reinforced my decision.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Karmine posted:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I like how in every single writer's week Bryan has to ask them "So did Vince ever try to kill you?" Just because of Court's story.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Bryan's always referred to it as Undertaker's dong, and he and whoever else is on the show plays it completely straight.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm finding it interesting how in the Lagana interview they actually are both defending Stephanie and think the company would instantly be better if she took over. And the idea that Booker and JBL would be great with the book and the "Hunter" debate was also well done.

So far I've enjoyed all of these.

Although I thought Court's assertion that PPV piracy being the fault of asia is kind of silly. Everything

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
I am sooo close to buying a subscription. The free shows have been spectacular. I loved the argument about whether Kane playing the trumpet trombone on free TV was stupid because now if he does it on the PPV it won't be as exciting. "THEY ALREADY GOT IT FOR FREE!!!" Big laffs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Frilled Lizard posted:

I am sooo close to buying a subscription. The free shows have been spectacular. I loved the argument about whether Kane playing the trumpet trombone on free TV was stupid because now if he does it on the PPV it won't be as exciting. "THEY ALREADY GOT IT FOR FREE!!!" Big laffs.

"...
...Maybe he'll play it for longer?"

I love Dave sometimes.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Frilled Lizard posted:

If you listen to enough podcasts where the subscription would be worth it, just go for it. I just re-upped my subscription for an entire year, I love it. But if you get by with the free shows and don't really have that much more time for more audio, maybe don't bother.

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT

triplexpac posted:

If you listen to enough podcasts where the subscription would be worth it, just go for it. I just re-upped my subscription for an entire year, I love it. But if you get by with the free shows and don't really have that much more time for more audio, maybe don't bother.

I love podcasts, so I think this would be right up my alley. Plus I just canceled Vanguard, which is 12.95 a month anyways....

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
How do people feel about the Dr Keith shows on F4W? I'm listening to the most recent Road to Wrestlemania one, I am enjoying it. I like that they give a more casual fan perspective, just liking poo poo without getting too crazy about analysing it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Frilled Lizard posted:

By not subscribing you missed the scoop that Bryan has been corrected on the trumpet/trombone issue and if the correction had been rude he would have continued calling it a trumpet out of spite.

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010
Evan Bourne is on this week's The Art Of Wrestling.

Hinoarashi fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 1, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bruiser Brody getting stoned going bowling. That's why we subscribe.

Is Dave being coy when hey says "only ten people know about lesnar/taker" ie: it's a work and lesnar is coming to 'Mania or that no-one knows because they don't understand Taker just took a shot at Sable or they're just doing a work to cross promote both industries?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

LordPants posted:

Is Dave being coy when hey says "only ten people know about lesnar/taker" ie: it's a work and lesnar is coming to 'Mania or that no-one knows because they don't understand Taker just took a shot at Sable or they're just doing a work to cross promote both industries?

Dave's making a joke about WWE apparently working their writing staff about it, from the Piermarini interviews. It was a work to try and kick off a WrestleMania angle that Dana White nixed due to Lesnar's exclusive contract, which nobody except Dana is willing to admit for a variety of reasons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I hate Wrestlemania because it means we don't get a Bryan and Vinny review of Impact.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MassRayPer posted:

I hate Wrestlemania because it means we don't get a Bryan and Vinny review of Impact.

Just replay a random old one and it'll probably make just as much sense.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

elf help book posted:

Just replay a random old one and it'll probably make just as much sense.

With Daniels returning to lead into Lockdown, Jarrett and Angle feuding, Sting as world champion and god knows what else the current TNA product may be pieced together from previous lovely Impacts.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You know, are we really sure they're making new Impacts and that they just haven't been editing old episodes together?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So does Dave not really understand the concept of acoustics? Hearing him try to explain why crowds dont sound as impressive in open air arenas was funny

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

How do people feel about the Dr Keith shows on F4W? I'm listening to the most recent Road to Wrestlemania one, I am enjoying it. I like that they give a more casual fan perspective, just liking poo poo without getting too crazy about analysing it.

Alan4L is delightfully positive and enthusiastic but not exactly a smooth host for a podcast. I usually listen to the DKP shows if Rob Naylor or someone else that I know to be amazing is on, but if it's just Alan/Eamo/justin umming and aahing their way through BOARD jokes I leave it.

I really miss Dr Keith though. How dare his kid take him away from the podcasting world. Motherfucker. If you haven't heard the old shows that Dr Keith hosted, get your rear end over to the audio archive right away.

edit: Also, the Adam & Mike Big Audio Nightmare is loving great, and I saw that as someone who follows neither Puro nor Hockey. Mike Sempervive is probably the best (or at the very least the most udnerrated) host on WO/F4W. Him and Adam can talk japanese wrestling forveer and I'll enjoy listening to it despite not knowing who 90% of the guys mentioned are.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 1, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also like the guy with a southern accent that talks about vintage southern 'rasslin.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I never knew that Karl Stern was a kayfabe name.

God, I will never stop laughing at Bryan's rant on the word roof.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Capsaicin posted:

I never knew that Karl Stern was a kayfabe name.

God, I will never stop laughing at Bryan's rant on the word roof.

Wait til you find out Dave Meltzer's shoot name.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Wait til you find out Dave Meltzer's shoot name.

Is it "Dave Melter"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Is it "Dave Melter"?

James from Kentucky taught us all that Dave is his middle name, his full name is Dynamite Dave Meltzer.

• Locked thread