Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

This thread always make me think I am incredibly lucky for having such a well mannered rabbit. As soon as I get out the bag of hay he get out of the way so hay doesn't get all over him since the rack is at the back of the cage. For pellets at worst he puts his head in the bowl and eats while I pour pellets on his head. He even goes to a specific spot when he hears me get vegetables for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

^^^Enjoy it while it lasts.

Bunway Airlines posted:

Get reamed by your landlord when you move out :( That's what happened to me both times :(

I'm thinking about gluing the individual bits of carpet back in place. It's maybe 3 by 4 inches, couldn't take more than a few hours :mad:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Foaming Chicken posted:

I'm thinking about gluing the individual bits of carpet back in place. It's maybe 3 by 4 inches, couldn't take more than a few hours :mad:

My ferrets scuffed up a bit of carpet at my old place, and I just sort of fluffed up the fibers around the bald patch. It also happened to be right where the door opening and closing would rub on the carpet, so I suppose it was assumed to have been caused by that. Either way, put a rug over that spot for the time being because it will get exponentially worse. When some of the fibers are pulled out, the ones around them are more easily pulled loose.

Also, I have to ask, does anyone use a dig box for their rabbits? I know a lot of ferret people use them to direct the extreme digging energy of their tunneling horror pets, but I wonder if it would work for rabbits.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

CampingCarl posted:

This thread always make me think I am incredibly lucky for having such a well mannered rabbit. As soon as I get out the bag of hay he get out of the way so hay doesn't get all over him since the rack is at the back of the cage. For pellets at worst he puts his head in the bowl and eats while I pour pellets on his head. He even goes to a specific spot when he hears me get vegetables for him.

This is basically how Lola is, but she's still on free food since she's under a year. I hope she doesn't go nuts when she is food restricted!

She tore up a patch of carpet in the back of my closet. I'm hoping that once I clean up the fibers it won't be that noticeable, given its location.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Foaming Chicken posted:

He is 13 now so I am/have. :unsmith:

Serella posted:

Also, I have to ask, does anyone use a dig box for their rabbits? I know a lot of ferret people use them to direct the extreme digging energy of their tunneling horror pets, but I wonder if it would work for rabbits.
I have a plastic tub of dirt on my deck that bun loves when he is out. Inside he likes plain newspaper but my sister's liked digging in a tub of that recycled paper litter.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mine just likes digging in the carpet or in my feet.

CampingCarl posted:

He is 13 now so I am/have. :unsmith:

drat, that's downright distinguished.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

DS at Night posted:

drat, that's downright distinguished.
We started calling him 'Old Man' when the hair on his nose started going gray. That was about 6 years ago. But he can still binky!*

*For a few minutes. After spending the day sitting in the sun and a good stretch.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Foaming Chicken posted:

I imagine so. You would just have to have a perfect carpet match and make sure they can't see the seams. It's probably worth a shot; I tried it once but couldn't get the carpet. I called up the land lady and was all "My Mom came over and just looovvvveeed the carpet where did you get it and what color is it?" She fell for it but the place was really far away and I didn't think it was worth my time.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Foaming Chicken posted:

I've done this. It works but is a huge pain in the rear end.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Finally got some good pictures.

Bitsy (the devil)

Paterson ( :downs: bunny)

Lady Bug
Apr 23, 2006
I apologize if this question has been asked before but my buns seems to be perpetually shedding. Can I use the small furminator brush on rabbits?

The culprit

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

As much as I feel bad for anybody who has to forfeit their deposit due to pet damage, my mom was briefly a landlord and her tenants had ferrets who loving destroyed the house. The renters covered up the damage enough to get past the walkthrough, but when my mom moved into the house a little while later she discovered all kinds of absolutely horrible poo poo that they had hidden from her. A bunch of the cabinets had to be replaced because the ferret poo poo and piss had soaked into the wood (which the renters covered with shelf paper). It cost my mom a fortune, which she really couldn't afford, as she was moving into the rental property after losing her other house to foreclosure.

So yes, if the damage is really minor and you don't want to get hosed out of your deposit for no good reason, by all means do a quick fix, but remember that someone has to clean up after those messes, even if it's not you. Not all landlords are rich assholes who are gunning for your deposit.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?

Lady Bug posted:

I apologize if this question has been asked before but my buns seems to be perpetually shedding. Can I use the small furminator brush on rabbits?

The culprit

Don't rex bunnies need to be brushed with the soft rubber type brushes, lest all their undercoat just rip the hell out? I don't remember specifics, but I've been told they can't be brushed the same as other rabbits.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Lola's shedding like mad right now, too.

Today she has decided that it's safe enough to flop out around me while getting pet. Hooray!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

DS at Night posted:

How about giving her a little handful of hay before refilling the rest of the hay? Or of course using a hay rack dispenser thingy that you can fill from the outside.

To be honest I think all rabbits are like this, at least the ones I know. There's one who'll insist on getting in the way of his food dish being filled and who I have to physically drag away from the dish in order to fill it, there's one who'll grunt and give you the death stare when you refill his hay even though he likes seeing you and eating hay, and there's one who'll bite the poo poo out of you so much when you feed her you just have to throw the pellets at her from a distance even though she loves us humans in general.

I just cried from laughing at the mental image of just throwing the pellets into the cage at a bun. Thank you so much for that!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Lady Bug posted:

The culprit

That's an adorable Rex, just a shade lighter than Annie. As far as brushing goes, I use a small furminator on her fine. They actually work better than the wire ones. You have to go kinda light, because furminators are designed to take out undercoat, and rex's hair is all the same length as undercoat, that's all.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Lewis will absolutely not tolerate a furminator but he is a long-haired bun and grooming him is sort of an event in itself

I think a slicker brush is what ya'll with short-haireds would want

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Lola doesn't have enough poops in her cage litter box :(

She's laying on the floor right now, in a relaxed looking pose, no tooth grinding or anything. She'll get up and run around when she wants, but she's been chilling more than usual the last two days. Her stomach feels a bit firm, but I never feel her stomach so I don't know if it's normal.

I changed the litter box just now, so I can see if there are additional poops. It could just be that she was using her out of the cage box more, since she was out all day yesterday.

What should I do if she doesn't make more poops? Straight to the vet? Or should I give her something? Oh man, I hope I'm just being paranoid...

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

dopaMEAN posted:

Lola doesn't have enough poops in her cage litter box :(

She's laying on the floor right now, in a relaxed looking pose, no tooth grinding or anything. She'll get up and run around when she wants, but she's been chilling more than usual the last two days. Her stomach feels a bit firm, but I never feel her stomach so I don't know if it's normal.

I changed the litter box just now, so I can see if there are additional poops. It could just be that she was using her out of the cage box more, since she was out all day yesterday.

What should I do if she doesn't make more poops? Straight to the vet? Or should I give her something? Oh man, I hope I'm just being paranoid...

She's sitting in the litterbox eating hay right now. I hope there's some poops when she leaves!

Alright, a few little poops after sitting there munching hay for ~5 minutes. I'll keep watching her and if she doesn't seem normal, or if the poops stop, I'll take her to the vet.

I am just worried because she has been shedding so much. I'm spending loads of time trying to pet/brush her hair loose, but I am probably not getting it all.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 4, 2011

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

There's probably no immediate emergency if she's still eating but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on her pooping or lack thereof. And feel the base of her ears to see if she's cold.

That said, normal rabbits probably don't get constipated every time they shed.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

when I get worried about Paterson I give him Baby Oval just because I'm super crazy like that and paranoid since I've had 3 scares with him having to go to the vet hospital due to GI stasis. Once I started giving him / them papaya tablets every day he hasn't had any problems.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

dopaMEAN posted:

She's sitting in the litterbox eating hay right now. I hope there's some poops when she leaves!

Alright, a few little poops after sitting there munching hay for ~5 minutes. I'll keep watching her and if she doesn't seem normal, or if the poops stop, I'll take her to the vet.

I am just worried because she has been shedding so much. I'm spending loads of time trying to pet/brush her hair loose, but I am probably not getting it all.

I always feed really juicy fruit treats during shedding season. Pineapple, blueberries, cucumber etc. It's awful sweet, but it helps to get more fluids inside to help move any blockages along. Just be mindful not to overdo it with the sweets. As long as she's still eating hay and drinking fluids you should be ok. Just keep a close eye on bathroom behavior and food intake over the next day or so. My rabbit will periodically get into a mood and refuse to eat anything but one specific vegitable. It's quite frustrating, but every rabbit is different.

Someone asked before about using a furminator. I used to use one on Murphy all the time because when he shed it was a massive explosion of fur. It does work great compared to a slicker brush, but because the furminator strips the hair, it left his coat a bit rough in places. I never use it on Debbie - a rex - because she really doesn't shed at all. I had to use it once last summer and her coat still hasn't fully recovered its sheen(I think that's the word I want). I guess that if you do plan to use one, do not over-comb the coat in any one area, and try to keep the brushing light and as even as you can manage on a rabbit. I just use my natural bristled hairbrush on her these days because it's much easier and softer for use on a fidgety bun.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm able to brush Camille with a furminator, but she rarely sheds enough to need it.

Camille doesn't let me brush her unless I can convince Pepper to lay down with her. It's hilarious that she has to have the bunny equivalent of somebun holding her hand.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

DS at Night posted:

There's probably no immediate emergency if she's still eating but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on her pooping or lack thereof. And feel the base of her ears to see if she's cold.

That said, normal rabbits probably don't get constipated every time they shed.

She seems much worse now. When I got home a couple of hours ago she had eaten all of her food and all of her hay, more than she normally eats. There were a few more poops since yesterday. Still not as many as normal, but definitely more.

She keeps laying out oddly, so that her butt and tail are hovering above the ground. She won't eat her treats or any food, and her butt was wet from her not moving out of a spot with pee.

I burritoed her and couldn't find anything wrong with her hindquarters, even though she was reactive when I touched near her back end before she got burritoed.

I gave her some meloxicam, just so that she will be comfortable if it's a pain thing. I offered her her normal night veggies and some apple and banana, just to get her to eat something. She hasn't shown any interest, despite banana being her all time favorite junk food.

I'm going to go buy some simethicone right now, and then I'll take her to the vet in the morning if she's not doing any better.

Also, her ears are cold I think.

:(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

She seems much worse now. When I got home a couple of hours ago she had eaten all of her food and all of her hay, more than she normally eats. There were a few more poops since yesterday. Still not as many as normal, but definitely more.

She keeps laying out oddly, so that her butt and tail are hovering above the ground. She won't eat her treats or any food, and her butt was wet from her not moving out of a spot with pee.

I burritoed her and couldn't find anything wrong with her hindquarters, even though she was reactive when I touched near her back end before she got burritoed.

I gave her some meloxicam, just so that she will be comfortable if it's a pain thing. I offered her her normal night veggies and some apple and banana, just to get her to eat something. She hasn't shown any interest, despite banana being her all time favorite junk food.

I'm going to go buy some simethicone right now, and then I'll take her to the vet in the morning if she's not doing any better.

Also, her ears are cold I think.

:(

get her to a vet ASAP! When I left Paterson overnight to see if he would be better in the morning after giving him some things he was going into shock!

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
She's better! She's eating lots of hay and veggies right now, and she's moving around normally. Aside from the gas rumbling in her tummy she seems normal. Hooray for simethicone!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

dopaMEAN posted:

She's better! She's eating lots of hay and veggies right now, and she's moving around normally. Aside from the gas rumbling in her tummy she seems normal. Hooray for simethicone!

:holy: yay!

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

:holy: yay!

Also, her ears were warm again! When I left there weren't that many poops, but there were definitely some from over night.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

dopaMEAN posted:

Also, her ears were warm again! When I left there weren't that many poops, but there were definitely some from over night.

I hope she has a speedy bunny recovery! :ohdear:

PS - bunny farts :sissies:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Today I pulled what I thought was a bit of poo from the fur under Debbie's front leg(she lays in the litterbox all the time, it's gross), but it turned out to be a scab and some thick white sludge came out. Please cross your fingers that it's just a fatty tumor! She also has some sort of impaction on her eye - which is why I picked her up in the first place - it's all red but doesn't seem to bother her right now. I'm hopeful that everything will be fine, but I really didn't need this expense right now :( Bunnies can be such money pits.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Windy posted:

Today I pulled what I thought was a bit of poo from the fur under Debbie's front leg(she lays in the litterbox all the time, it's gross), but it turned out to be a scab and some thick white sludge came out.

I would take her to the vet immediaely. From what I understand abscesses in rabbits are A Very Bad Thing

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Naturally I post that and go to trim my rabbit and find a large mass on his shoulder.

He's acting normal (and has been acting normal)

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 7, 2011

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Windy posted:

Today I pulled what I thought was a bit of poo from the fur under Debbie's front leg(she lays in the litterbox all the time, it's gross), but it turned out to be a scab and some thick white sludge came out.

With Cilantro, we had abcsesses for almost a year:siren: They formed thick, white pus and had to be lanced and cleaned at least once a month, sometimes as many as three times a month. It was a nightmare, but three antibiotics and one major surgery later she was finally healed and has only had one recurrence since!

I hope whatever this turns out to be goes away quickly!

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Plan of action: ASAP appoint scheduled tomorrow, pick up injectable Pen G same day.

I'm planning on asking about the cost of surgical excision, sensitivity cultures, and clindamycin impregnated implantable beads. I'm so angry at myself for not noticing sooner. It's shy of the size of a golf ball. If this is what does him in I will never forgive myself.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Foaming Chicken posted:

It's shy of the size of a golf ball. If this is what does him in I will never forgive myself.

Is he a long hair? I hope things go well!

Lola is officially pooping normally, I think. At least she has enough poops that I'm not really worried anymore.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

dopaMEAN posted:

Is he a long hair? I hope things go well!

He is a big sassy English Angora who I love dearly.

I had ten minutes of hysterical crying after googling and reading some vet's (totally sensible) advice that mentioned amputation and euthanasia in some cases. Naturally I jumped to the worst case scenario. When I step back and reevaluate the situation, this is his first mass, I'm very comfortable giving him shots and oral antibiotics, and I'm more than willing to do a long course.

The cost is going to hurt though.

Edit: This pic was taken a couple of months ago but looking at his right leg is giving me a huge urge to brush the hell out of him right now

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 7, 2011

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

With Cilantro, we had abcsesses for almost a year:siren: They formed thick, white pus and had to be lanced and cleaned at least once a month, sometimes as many as three times a month. It was a nightmare, but three antibiotics and one major surgery later she was finally healed and has only had one recurrence since!

I hope whatever this turns out to be goes away quickly!

I read about abscesses and it made me ill. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that(yet, anyway).

Foaming Chicken- I didn't go to the e-vet because there was no redness or any sort of indication that anything was severely infected. If there was change in her eating/pooping/activity levels then it would have been a different story. As it was, everything did turn out to be ok. The swelling had gone down quite a bit overnight and the vet had an early appointment open this morning.

He did a slide test and cleared out the goop, and it came back negative for blood cells which indicated to him that it was simply a cyst and nothing to worry about right now. I just have to keep watch for any redness or irritation, and keep an eye out for any more lumps in the area. Surgery is always an option if I want to get rid of it completely, but Debbie is 6 this year, and I worry about stressing her out with any surgeries. I lost Murphy at 6 last year, and if the cyst is merely a cosmetic issue, we can put up with it. The story would be different if it were tumorous or something worse than what it is.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Foaming Chicken posted:

He is a big sassy English Angora who I love dearly.

He looks like the kind of English bunny that would participate in the moustache and beard competitions. :3:

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

That's him doing his best General Sideburns impression. I never trim his cheeks because it's too close to his whiskers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Welp, our lease is up soon and the landlord has decided "no more buns", so we're in a bit of a bind. We can't really move anywhere else in the area due to cost, and if we move to a cheaper 1 bedroom then the rabbits will be sharing a room with the cat (which won't work) and we'd literally have to not have a dining room table or couches to sit in order to fit them in or something.

We tried contacting the Chicago House Rabbit Society and were basically called bad owners, terrible people, and that they'd split up the bonded pair even though the one is from HRS and they would be circulating us on a "Do Not Adopt" list for any animal in Cook County. My wife is nearly hysterical about how the HRS lady just berated her considering we wanted the best for our bunnies, and I don't want to have to toss them in animal control because I know they'll just kill them.

Any suggestions, tips, or info on anyone in the Chicago area that wants a sweet pair of bonded rabbits would be appreciated :smith: