Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

strange posted:

I tried making some super-strong coffee which seemed to do the trip for at least a while. So I made another... and another... then I was still wide awake at 4am with the worst loving headache I've ever had. I think I'll tone it down in future, but thanks for the tip, guys.

Sounds like you also have issues with an addictive personality, which is very common for people with ADHD. During the worst time of my life, when I was too far away from my psychiatrist and too poor for $100 bottles of Adderall I was pretty damned close to being an alcoholic. I just didn't want to be bored and be with... myself and my thoughts. If I lived in that environment for any longer, I have no doubt that I would have been really bad. In fact, I have no doubt that if my life ever got really bad and I lost the amazing support system that I have right now, I could run into some serious issues.

That being said, stop drinking coffee at 6. I can have a cup of coffee to get myself going at work at 5, but if I have some at 9? I'm not going to bed till 4. And while I'm at it, stop self medicating with caffiene and start self medicating with exercise. Run until you are tired as gently caress, it's good for you and you won't have any nasty side effects besides feeling sore.

Also, read Delivered from Distraction to learn some good coping mechanisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Effexxor posted:

And while I'm at it, stop self medicating with caffiene and start self medicating with exercise. Run until you are tired as gently caress, it's good for you and you won't have any nasty side effects besides feeling sore.

Or lift weights for maximum "gently caress IM TIRED GONNA SIT HERE AND HAVE ONE THOUGHT AT A TIME" in a minimum amount of time.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

2508084 posted:

Or lift weights for maximum "gently caress IM TIRED GONNA SIT HERE AND HAVE ONE THOUGHT AT A TIME" in a minimum amount of time.

That too. My fiance wants to powerlift competitively and lifting does nothing but make him feel great.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Effexxor posted:

learn some good coping mechanisms.

Could someone list a few of these they actually use and work?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I can confirm that exercising, working out, or doing physical training of any kind is a good way to lower stress and burn off excess energy. As a kid, I took Taekwondo classes which helped me channel my energy constructively (and also taught me a little bit about self-discipline and personal responsibility). In college, I used to run, shadowbox, exercise, and weight train whenever I started to get agitated, and it worked really well to keep me from going nuts.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Yea, that's actually really effective but aside from that you know that little switch on think-pad's that disable the wireless? Holy gently caress, whoever invented that should be given a peace prize.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Tab8715 posted:

1. Multitasking. I do this at work, but I avoid things like the forums and chatrooms and games that will distract me too much. For example, I will change some code and compile it. While it compiles, I read the local news for a minute or two.
2. Have serious motivation to not screw up really bad. The consequences of not watching the baby in the tub or losing my job would be horrible. Sometimes I have to work half the night because I couldn't get everything done.
3. Try to deal with things immediately so they don't pile up. My husband constantly gets on my case about this and while sometimes I wish he would just back off, it does keep the mail from piling up.
4. Outlook reminders.
5. Moving several times. This has helped me not want to buy anything ever again and has saved me lots of money, and helps me get rid of old poo poo because I don't want to move that test from college I got a C on for the 10th time.

The house is a mess, I look like I just rolled out of bed most of the time, and my productivity at work isn't the greatest. I have no life because I devote most of my energy just to keeping up with the kid and work. It is especially hard not being able to take meds or drink coffee or beer. But I think I'm doing pretty well, and I know it won't be forever.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

As someone with a recent diagnosis, I'm still working through it, but here's what I'm finding so far:

1. Visuality is key. If you can't physically see something it is too easy to forget about it. Other tips expand on this

2. At home: a chore chart! I use this and I feel like a giddy little kid when I fill it out. It is about the visuality of seeing the holes in what you haven't done today. It is hung right to the side of my computer monitor so it is always in my line of sight.

3. At work: I have scheduled my entire day. Every hour is devoted to a different task I have to get done. That way no project falls to the wayside because it is worked on every day. This of course depends on the sort of job you have.

4. Routine is the best thing ever. My routine used to be go home, sit in front of computer, neglect all chores, and nothing got done. With a slight adjustment, my routine now is not sit in front of the computer until I've done the chores that need done. Then I can veg in front of video games like I always used to, but actually have my poo poo done. It is the slight change of conditioning fun thing on thing I have to get done.

Another way visuality helps is I keep things like my toothbrush on my desk. I brush in the bathroom still, but it stays on my desk the rest of the time, so I see it while I'm on the computer and am reminded about brushing.

5. Exercise is basically mandatory for ADHD even more so than normal life. It keeps you focused, energized, and happy. I've even incoporated it into the schedule I talked about in number 3. You need to find a way to get exercise into your day no questions asked.

6. Alot of ADHDers have anxiety issues, and I'm starting to learn to take a 10 minute meditation break. Really calms me down.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

2508084 posted:

No wonder I love weight lifting and hate cardio. Cardio is SO SO SO BORING. It's almost impossible for me to do.

Tab8715 posted:

I ditched office work completely and am a babysitter. This works for me because we can always be outside doing things, on the go etc. You have to like kids though. ;)

Moms Stuffing fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 5, 2011

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Moms Stuffing posted:

No wonder I love weight lifting and hate cardio. Cardio is SO SO SO BORING. It's almost impossible for me to do.

Tried a running program? It is the only cardio I can stand. Weightlifting for life.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Chin Strap posted:

Tried a running program? It is the only cardio I can stand. Weightlifting for life.

Everyone knows bikes is the only cardio that matters :colbert: I hate running, but I'm a top heavy girl so theres that. low intensity cardio while studying isn't bad though, I want to get into it. Just spend an hour doing a quick walk on a treadmill while reading my psych book. Kill two birds with one stone.

Then go deadlift a grown man. this is what they mean when they say I should pick up men, right?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

2508084 posted:

Everyone knows bikes is the only cardio that matters :colbert: I hate running, but I'm a top heavy girl so theres that. low intensity cardio while studying isn't bad though, I want to get into it. Just spend an hour doing a quick walk on a treadmill while reading my psych book. Kill two birds with one stone.

Then go deadlift a grown man. this is what they mean when they say I should pick up men, right?

Low intensity is horrible. You can get the same "gently caress me i can't think about poo poo" from a good hard run as I can from a good lift.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 18, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Chin Strap posted:

Low intensity is horrible. You can get the same "gently caress me i can't think about poo poo" from a good hard run as I can from a good lift.

Except it forces me to stay in one spot for an extended period of time and I cant do anything but read my book.

i dont think my psych is going to up my adderall ever. he'll up every other drug in the history of drugs (300mg/night trazodone? GO FOR IT!) but I get side eyed when I say I could benefit from an increase of my 10mg/day adderall.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Hamburglar posted:

It's funny how true this is. I was taking anti anxiety medicine for years, wondering why the poo poo wasn't working. I always described the feeling as "having to be anywhere but where I currently am" or even better, that "something horrible is going to happen any second" (even though I knew it wasn't, it just felt that way).

My therapist talks about it is as partially just the way we process sensory input in general. We lack the ability linger and be at rest, so we expend a lot of energy on "what to do next" and get very anxious about it all.

It has been a big problem for me when I got my first real girlfriend 9 months ago, as it is hard for me to just linger and cuddle with her. My mind is constantly trying to plan the next hour. I'm starting to build my lingering muscles though. It is a skill that takes training...

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Like C25K? I tried it, but I still hated it. I did HIIT for awhile, which was much better for my attention span, but I have admit I'm very good at making excuses to not do any cardio.

I haven't been to a gym in ages though. I'm a babysitting, SAHM mom to a really high needs toddler with a husband who works nights, and I know excuses excuses, but it really has been hard for me to make time for a gym.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Moms Stuffing posted:

Like C25K? I tried it, but I still hated it. I did HIIT for awhile, which was much better for my attention span, but I have admit I'm very good at making excuses to not do any cardio.

I haven't been to a gym in ages though. I'm a babysitting, SAHM mom to a really high needs toddler with a husband who works nights, and I know excuses excuses, but it really has been hard for me to make time for a gym.

Are you lifting at home at least? With weights you can turn that into a good cardio session too: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/metabolic_power_training.htm

4 rounds by 6 reps of complex 1 with an extremely light weight with 90 seconds rest between each round will kick your rear end a surprising amount. And there is no excuse to not having enough time to do something that short and with that little equipment required.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Hello, treadmills are for guinea pigs. Go ride a bike. The weather is getting nice.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
No, I'm not. I live in a really really tiny condo with no room for weights. I just need to force myself to make time, I know.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Moms Stuffing posted:

No, I'm not. I live in a really really tiny condo with no room for weights. I just need to force myself to make time, I know.

You have room for a pair of adjustable dumbells and a few plates. It really doesn't have to be much. Stop making excuses.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 18, 2012

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Before a phone job interview, I jogged in place for 5 minutes or so to calm my head. Must have worked, as I then got the job!

I also like calming wallpapers at work on my computer. Currently, it's Alvaro Fernandez of the Seattle Sounders FC, all decked out in his neon green, with the word '¡Bienvenidos!' above. So every morning I pretend he's saying 'Welcome!' to me :3:

For the nicer weather, I got a soccer ball to kick around, as there's also a couple of pitches by my house. More fun then jogging, and I get some exercise in as well. I do have a bike, but have trouble using it with the spasticity.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tab8715 posted:

My phone has a task list on it that automatically sorts by time until deadline and how important the task is. I have an alarm that goes off to remind me to do it at set intervals up to the deadline, and I split up tasks into stages if they need to be done over a long period of time. For example if I need to read a bunch of articles for a class and also write a report about them, I have entries for reading the assignment, picking out articles to read, reading an article, reading another article (repeat until done), writing an outline, and writing the report. If I just had one deadline for "report needs to be completed by X time/date" I would never finish it on time.

I set these deadlines, not someone else, and I know I need to do them. Self-nagging with this kind of reminder is incredible and it's changed the way I live and the things I'm able to accomplish. I simply cannot remember to do all the poo poo I need to do because once I am not focusing on it, I might as well never have known about it until I get reminded about it.

My phone also has a widget that tells me how much money I have in my accounts and how much money I've spent in the past week or month, so every time I look at my phone I have a reminder of how much money I ACTUALLY HAVE. Because of this, I don't make so many impulse purchases.

If what you need is a crutch, I say use a crutch. There's a negative connotation with the word crutch when applied to things that aren't literally crutches. Crutches are used by people with hosed up legs so they can get around without a wheelchair. The idea is that eventually you stop using the crutch, because your leg heals. My brain isn't about to heal itself, and I can't get a prosthetic short term memory.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Another one I will add if it is applicable to you: throw money at things you have trouble doing if you can afford it. I bought an automatic litter box and an automatic food dispenser for my cat, I pay by the pound for my laundry to be done, and I'm looking for a housecleaner. It is a crutch for sure but like signalnoise said use it if you got it.

Now I know not everyone can afford these things but if you can it is worth it. To compensate a bit I live in a really cheap apartment.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Hey guys, I'm going to be moving out soon to live on my own/single. Any tips you have for packing/getting set up without losing everything? I know I'm gonna end up doing something stupid, like not pack dishes or forget to fill out paperwork.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Aculard posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to be moving out soon to live on my own/single. Any tips you have for packing/getting set up without losing everything? I know I'm gonna end up doing something stupid, like not pack dishes or forget to fill out paperwork.

Make a list and get a notebook. Write down things AS THEY OCCUR TO YOU and refer to it when you are going through the process of making sure you have everything you need.

This is also a good time to make a list of everything you own, and to organize each and every thing in your place. Get totes, number them, make a list of everything in that tote so you can look at the list instead of going through the tote. Write down absolutely everything like a crazy person.

Also something to think about-

You should write down the model and serial number of everything you have that is expensive or otherwise difficult to replace, and keep that information somewhere safe, like your email or something. If you ever get robbed, having those numbers improves the possibility of getting it back from zero to slightly better than zero. If your place ever burns down, this will make it much much easier to make a claim against your insurance.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 5, 2011

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

signalnoise posted:

Make a list and get a notebook. Write down things AS THEY OCCUR TO YOU and refer to it when you are going through the process of making sure you have everything you need.

This is also a good time to make a list of everything you own, and to organize each and every thing in your place. Get totes, number them, make a list of everything in that tote so you can look at the list instead of going through the tote. Write down absolutely everything like a crazy person.

Oh I don't think I have enough for totes worth, but I will definitely start writing that stuff down after supper in a list.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Aculard posted:

after supper

Anyone feeling a sense of irony. :p

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Chin Strap posted:

Another one I will add if it is applicable to you: throw money at things you have trouble doing if you can afford it. I bought an automatic litter box and an automatic food dispenser for my cat, I pay by the pound for my laundry to be done, and I'm looking for a housecleaner. It is a crutch for sure but like signalnoise said use it if you got it.

Yes. This.

I pay someone to do my taxes every year. Even though most years they're simple, and I am a Software Engineer, and I've used TurboTax in the past to great effect - so, you'd think that it'd be easy for me. Nope - the simple act of *doing* my taxes always gave me an anxiety attack. So now, I go to a Tax Preparer. It's $150 that I'm more than willing to spend on myself on what someone else would consider a luxury.

(Bonus - he's also a Goon).

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Just try harder :downsrim: I would recommend looking at the book mentioned earlier Delivered From Distraction, it has some smaller sections designed to be easier to read, and I'd throw in another one called 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD by Stephanie Sarkis. The 10 Solutions one is a really small book filled with tips. Read it and apply anything that works for you. Not all of it will, but that's with anything. Just read these books and take from them whatever can help you succeed, because any kind of improvement can be huge with ADD.

A Chore Chart with Stars on things I've accomplished works well.

Adderall has been tremendous for me, a complete 180 as far as doing stuff and keeping the house clean daily (hourly) instead of letting it pile up for a week then cleaning.

I try to be preemptive now as far as everything goes, clean it as soon as it happens and whatnot.

My mood has been great too. Road rage is much better, I still think they are idiots but I am not in a murderous rage about it anymore.

I've been better to my wife and child. Today I went out and got a rose for my wife and wrote a sweet card, just because. Before maybe I would have gotten the idea and it wouldn't have gone anywhere. Or I'd get it while at the store with my wife.

I like to talk to people more and can hold conversations now. I like to get out more often too. The weather has been getting nicer so it'll be nice not being cooped up in the house all the time like a hibernating Bear.

I want to play basketball but I will have to find a time when I can get someone to watch my daughter and drive to a court.

I have been writing more, nothing interesting, usually just stuff about my day or ideas I have or things I think are funny like: I bet I was the pirate who asked the new guy if he ever tried loving a table, then I’d unveil my peg leg and say “Boy, My Daddy sure did!”

So much more is possible now, socially and mentally, and everything else.

Oh, my eating issues are all gone. I can eat like I would normally now.

My posts here have gotten longer on meds as well!

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Sounds like you're still in your honeymoon phase. Be careful when Adderall stops giving you all the motivation you need, and you're forced to rely on personal strategies and self-discipline to make up for it.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

TheGopher posted:

Sounds like you're still in your honeymoon phase. Be careful when Adderall stops giving you all the motivation you need, and you're forced to rely on personal strategies and self-discipline to make up for it.

hitting that stage right now. I think thats what sparked my multi-week downward spiral as of late.

Pumaz
Feb 12, 2007
Can anyone recommend a individual health plan? I'm on an individual plan, but I'm not finding many good options that include mental health coverage. Aetna for instance has no individual plans that cover it at all. I've been seeing a psychologist for a bit and we were going to try straterra, but it was over $300 to fill the prescription.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Pumaz posted:

Can anyone recommend a individual health plan? I'm on an individual plan, but I'm not finding many good options that include mental health coverage. Aetna for instance has no individual plans that cover it at all. I've been seeing a psychologist for a bit and we were going to try straterra, but it was over $300 to fill the prescription.

you're hosed for coverage if you already have a diagnosis. Unless you have that kind of money. When I had a BPII diagnosis, they wanted like 500/mo + no coverage for anything for 12 months.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yeah i'd say you should explain your situation to your doc and see if s/he's willing to do something with a cheap generic - dex, ritalin or adderall. Any other treatment is gonna be hella $$$.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

http://www.lillycares.com/Pages/index.aspx - Patient Assistance for Strattera. This might help.

Pumaz
Feb 12, 2007

2508084 posted:

you're hosed for coverage if you already have a diagnosis. Unless you have that kind of money. When I had a BPII diagnosis, they wanted like 500/mo + no coverage for anything for 12 months.
I don't mind going with a generic if thats all I can get, but I just want to formulate a plan of attack. I expect that if I switch they won't let me get coverage for at least a year, but I'm obviously in a situation where I need to make a change. If anyone is on an individually paid plan that has good coverage I'd like to know what they're on.

Pumaz
Feb 12, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

http://www.lillycares.com/Pages/index.aspx - Patient Assistance for Strattera. This might help.
Thank you. I'd meet all the requirements except for the fact that I do have insurance. I wonder if not having mental health coverage in my plan will let me be an exception. If I do go this route and am approved I'll report my success.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Pumaz posted:

Thank you. I'd meet all the requirements except for the fact that I do have insurance. I wonder if not having mental health coverage in my plan will let me be an exception. If I do go this route and am approved I'll report my success.

Good luck! It can't hurt to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

TheGopher posted:

That sounds like it sucks.

At the very least I am getting into some good habits right now that I seem to carry over even after the meds wear off.