Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

I guess we've found out what the "market adjustment" is going to be on the Laguna Seca Boss 302s, apparently it's $108k.

That'll never fly. I can't imagine MA is a hot area for Mustangs, but here it's just $5k. It's ridiculous that they've seen multiple 90k offerings. The markup on the ZR1 was nowhere near as bad, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kimbo305 posted:

That'll never fly. I can't imagine MA is a hot area for Mustangs, but here it's just $5k. It's ridiculous that they've seen multiple 90k offerings. The markup on the ZR1 was nowhere near as bad, right?

I'm loving that that dealership actually put their little vinyl sticker logo on the back of it too. Really though, there's no reason for them not to go after the sucker market. Look at all the morons who paid $70k for the GT500 when it was released.

Still, I can't believe they are trying for $108k with the worst color combo possible on the Laguna Seca.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That Laguna Seca badge looks... really ugly.

PS: my dad was almost one of those suckers frozenphil. I am very glad I steered him to a barely-used 911 instead, for roughly the same price. I think he's glad too.

They managed to photograph the nose at the just-right angle to make it look like an angry hippo.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 5, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

That Laguna Seca badge looks... really ugly.

I keep seeing it as a cross between Homer Simpson and Kid from Kid and Play.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

mcmagic posted:

One more thing. Do any of you guys have black leather interiors? How hot does it get in the summer?

I've got the black leather interior while living in SoCal, and while it's occasionally been a little on the warm side, it's never been to the point where you can't plunk down on the seat and drive off. Just keep your hands off the dash.

The AC in mine, sadly, is sorta mediocre. You can always get the car comfortable eventually, but sometimes it does take a while. My general strategy for "the car has been sitting in the sun all day" is opening the windows for a little bit and stretching the legs, then windows up and let the AC+recirc go. If it's <70ish outside you don't really need the AC, just let the fan do the work.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The plant where they make Mustangs and Mazda6s has been idled due to both lack of parts from the Japanese earthquake and because they have a 116 day supply of Mustangs. It seems that sales of the Mustang have really not met expectations, they are about on par with the Challenger and way behind Camaro.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I wonder if this will make Ford wuss out on the next Mustang refresh.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The plant where they make Mustangs and Mazda6s has been idled due to both lack of parts from the Japanese earthquake and because they have a 116 day supply of Mustangs. It seems that sales of the Mustang have really not met expectations, they are about on par with the Challenger and way behind Camaro.

The 2011 Model year will definitely beat the Camaro. If the Mustang isn't selling, neither is the Camaro.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Chevrolet sold 8,964 Camaros in March compared with Ford moving 8,557 Mustangs. For the first three months of the year, the score is 19,972 Camaros to 15,419 Mustangs. Last year, the two were neck-and-neck some months and Ford is justifiably proud of Mustang, so it's interesting that Camaro is pulling so far ahead.

These numbers are for 2011. Old people like bow ties.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Old people like Mustangs, too. Then again, I saw some really old guy driving a 350Z.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elephanthead posted:

Chevrolet sold 8,964 Camaros in March compared with Ford moving 8,557 Mustangs. For the first three months of the year, the score is 19,972 Camaros to 15,419 Mustangs. Last year, the two were neck-and-neck some months and Ford is justifiably proud of Mustang, so it's interesting that Camaro is pulling so far ahead.

I think the Camaro is pretty cool looking but the interior is horrible and really cramped especially for a taller guy like myself.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Yeah I bought my Mustang from Muzi Ford/Chevrolet in Needham MA (great dealer BTW) so I took the two out side by side and I'll tell you that the Camaro feels like junk compared to the Mustang. Maybe it's just me but the Premium interior on the Mustang blows away what's in the 2SS even though that little gauge cluster is kinda cool.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I went and test drove another 5.0 last night, this one with the manual trans. I haven't driven a manual in probably 2 or 3 years. The salesman told me "Don't pull to the left, that's reverse", so the first few starts were in 3rd until I figured out the tranny is just like the one in VWs, with push-down left for reverse. It totally didn't feel like I was starting in 3rd, though, and when I did actually start it in first, can you say wheelspin? Hell yea!

So another question, for those of you with Android phones, how well do they sync up (hah) to the stock stereo? How about the upgraded stereo with the touchscreen?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Elephanthead posted:

it's not really a fair comparison, the new mustang has essentially been out for 5-6 years now and the camaro is the hot new kid on the block, of course it's going to outsell.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

mcmagic posted:

I think the Camaro is pretty cool looking but the interior is horrible and really cramped especially for a taller guy like myself.
I was kind of neutral on the Camaro until I sat in one at the DC auto show this year.

The way I'd describe it is like sitting in a car from the 70s, and not in a cool retro "Wow, this reminds me of the 70s!" way. I mean like an actual car from the 70s. It's as though Chevy had the retro design stick so far up their rear end they forgot to actually modernize the car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Third Man posted:

it's not really a fair comparison, the new mustang has essentially been out for 5-6 years now and the camaro is the hot new kid on the block, of course it's going to outsell.

That argument seems flawed. The new body style went on sale about the same time that the Camaro returned. And then the 5.0 came out. There's no reason the Camaro can reasonably considered the new kid on the block. I think the numbers simply show that there are a lot of Camaro fans out there. Either who like the design, love Camaros, or are diehard bowtie partisans.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it seems to line up with the idea that for whatever reason, whoever has the genuinely faster car will sell less of them between the two. From 1993 through 2002, the Z28/SS had the GT pretty soundly beat with regards to performance out of the factory, yet the SN95 outsold the fourthgen big time.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think it seems to line up with the idea that for whatever reason, whoever has the genuinely faster car will sell less of them between the two. From 1993 through 2002, the Z28/SS had the GT pretty soundly beat with regards to performance out of the factory, yet the SN95 outsold the fourthgen big time.

Take a look at the price of each vehicle's v6 offering as they sit on the dealer's lot. The Camaro has been cheaper for a while now due to incentives, thus they sell more. The vast majority of Mustang and Camaro buyers are only interested in a cheap, sporty looking car and they will buy whichever one is cheaper.
You'll see incentives on the Mustang soon enough, but not inside of a year on a brand new power train lineup. I seriously doubt Ford is worried.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

frozenphil posted:

You'll see incentives on the Mustang soon enough, but not inside of a year on a brand new power train lineup. I seriously doubt Ford is worried.

2012 Mustangs have $500 customer cash incentive right now. $1500 if you can find a 2011.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

kimbo305 posted:

That argument seems flawed. The new body style went on sale about the same time that the Camaro returned. And then the 5.0 came out. There's no reason the Camaro can reasonably considered the new kid on the block. I think the numbers simply show that there are a lot of Camaro fans out there. Either who like the design, love Camaros, or are diehard bowtie partisans.

But the new body style is a streamlining of the earlier one, it's not going to look that new and exciting to a non-car person. The Camaro is a complete redesign however.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Killbot posted:

I wonder if this will make Ford wuss out on the next Mustang refresh.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think that it means that retro is out for 2014. I don't know many people that would argue that the Mustang is the better looking of the two. Hell, the Camaro won World Car Design of the Year, and is the only domestic car to ever be considered. I think that has a lot to do with the sales numbers.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

oRenj9 posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think that it means that retro is out for 2014. I don't know many people that would argue that the Mustang is the better looking of the two.
I would, but then I'm biased.

For me the Camaro is striking to look at the first time, but I like it less every time I see one. Now I think it looks cartoonish.
The Mustang wasn't terrible pretty the first time (and still isn't), but I like it more every time I see one.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Presto posted:

For me the Camaro is striking to look at the first time, but I like it less every time I see one. Now I think it looks cartoonish.
The Mustang wasn't terrible pretty the first time (and still isn't), but I like it more every time I see one.

I'm in the same boat. Two brand new Camaros (V6) started parking on either side of my space at home. Every time I go down there, they look a little sillier each time. Not helping matters is the fact that one guy keeps applying more smoked light lenses and chrome bits.

I do like the Camaro's angel eyes, though, and think the giant fog lights on the Mustang look silly.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Presto posted:

So would I, and the Camaro is even more retro than the 05-09 Mustang. It's an unconventional choice, but there's no denying GM pulled off a modern interpretation of this classic...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

mcmagic posted:

I'm not even very tall (5'10"), and the Camaro was extremely uncomfortable. I keep saying this to everyone I know, but it's true: I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car with a blindfold on, and that's how I feel in the Camaro looking out the windows.

Swassy Man
Dec 12, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I'm not even very tall (5'10"), and the Camaro was extremely uncomfortable. I keep saying this to everyone I know, but it's true: I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car with a blindfold on, and that's how I feel in the Camaro looking out the windows.

I agree, it's a lot like the '98 and '99 Pontiac Firebirds- you literally cannot see out of the seats half the time.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So Autoblog says that the 2012 GT500 is keeping the 5.4, but at least the Super Snake is getting 800HP. I'm kinda disappointed they're keeping the old block, but I guess tooling up for an aluminum version of the block for only one year wouldn't really be cost-effective.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 7, 2011

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Got my T-5/45 steeda shifter, american muscle shows a step for replacing the transmission fluid. do i really need to do this?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-mustang-shifter-cust-install.html

99 GT with 75k miles (2k of which were put on by me since i got it in july 2010), CAI, catback, thats it. Pretty sure it was driven like a grandma by the two previous owners who were both over 50 years old

hmmm.. $52 on some god drat royal purple on a shifter that i paid $65 for with a shitload of ebay coupons. Aint gonna fuckin happen

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-purple-synchromax-manual-transmission-fluid.html

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 7, 2011

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Omegaslast posted:

Got my T-5/45 steeda shifter, american muscle shows a step for replacing the transmission fluid. do i really need to do this?

99 GT with 75k miles (2k of which were put on by me since i got it in july 2010), CAI, catback, thats it. Pretty sure it was driven like a grandma by the two previous owners who were both over 50 years old

hmmm.. $52 on some god drat royal purple on a shifter that i paid $65 for with a shitload of ebay coupons. Aint gonna fuckin happen

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-purple-synchromax-manual-transmission-fluid.html

Not strictly necessary, but some people claim that it will improve shifter feel. If the car is due for a transmission oil change, it wouldn't be a bad idea but it's not necessary otherwise.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Omegaslast posted:

Royal Purple is overrated in pretty much every application IMHO

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I test-drove the Camaro just because I thought it'd be stupid to buy a Mustang without at least considering the competition. I didn't find it uncomfortable, and I'm pretty tall, but the visibility was horrid, it felt twice as big as the Mustang, it felt soft and boring to drive, and the automatic transmission was just AWFUL (they didn't have a manual available for a test-drive). The interior was poorly laid out (me and my Dad were baking our balls off before we managed to find the A/C switch, about five minutes into the drive). All that, and they wanted more money than for the Mustang.

Why anyone has bought one is completely beyond me.

Also, I can confirm that the Mustang's heater is every bit as powerful as its A/C. After the engine gets warmed up, you can sweat your rear end off in three seconds flat with the heater on full blast, even if it's -20 outside. After it's at a reasonable temperature, I tend to set it a little bit on the cool side of the middle of the dial, even in the middle of winter.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The ambient air in Mustangs with the heat going full tilt and the heated seats on can melt tungsten.

e- oh and I got to putz around with a Parnelli Jones Saleen the other day, I'll post a few pics later.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Driving 2 hours to talk to the internet sales guy (or someone) about the Boss Mustang tomorrow morning. Any tips about Ford sales numbers or anything that I could use?
I'm not planning to sign anything. Just trying to confirm that they're actually able to order at MSRP, which I haven't found at any other dealer in the area.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT
I went and test drove a 2011 GT today. I was ready to buy and was having a great experience with the salesman, but my trade-in was an issue and the appraiser came over to chat. He said a lot of interesting things about the value of my trade and how trading was a good idea because it lowered the taxes on the purchase price and generally was making sense. Then I said "well ok so the trade is too low, maybe we can talk about the car price" which was at 37 something after an xplan discount and he looked at it and said he couldn't go any lower than xplan plus incentives from Ford. When I tried to reason with him that it was a car that had been sitting on the lot for at least 6 months and that its a 2011 when 2012s are coming out and, you know, its just a Mustang, and 34k was pretty reasonable, he said that "it was not a mass-produced car" and "they didn't make as many as they could sell" and "that the California Special was a limited edition" and "that he'd been involved with Ford for 25 years so obviously this all must be true".

I was so surprised by all of that, which as far as I can tell was lies, that I just got up and said "call me if you want to talk about the price" and didn't even mention the fact that I had Truecar pricing for that car from 3 other dealerships, or a fleet number through my job (although I don't know if that would have done any good).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I make sure the salesperson knows that they will make no money off of me and only deal with them during the week when they would not be selling a car anyway. As long as they agree to do the sale just to move a unit beforehand, they are more likely to sell it for no profit, i.e. commision. The best I ever got was two guys spliting a $37 dollar commision to sell me an s-10.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Elephanthead posted:

I make sure the salesperson knows that they will make no money off of me and only deal with them during the week when they would not be selling a car anyway. As long as they agree to do the sale just to move a unit beforehand, they are more likely to sell it for no profit, i.e. commision. The best I ever got was two guys spliting a $37 dollar commision to sell me an s-10.

Would you mind expanding upon your strategy a little bit? I imagine you don't just waltz in on a Tuesday morning and say, "you're going to sell me this car, make nothing doing it, and be happy I gave you even that much."

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

The California Special was never a good value for the recent Mustangs anyways. The premium just isn't worth it for some trim.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Neight posted:

I went and test drove a 2011 GT today. I was ready to buy and was having a great experience with the salesman, but my trade-in was an issue and the appraiser came over to chat. He said a lot of interesting things about the value of my trade and how trading was a good idea because it lowered the taxes on the purchase price and generally was making sense. Then I said "well ok so the trade is too low, maybe we can talk about the car price" which was at 37 something after an xplan discount and he looked at it and said he couldn't go any lower than xplan plus incentives from Ford. When I tried to reason with him that it was a car that had been sitting on the lot for at least 6 months and that its a 2011 when 2012s are coming out and, you know, its just a Mustang, and 34k was pretty reasonable, he said that "it was not a mass-produced car" and "they didn't make as many as they could sell" and "that the California Special was a limited edition" and "that he'd been involved with Ford for 25 years so obviously this all must be true".

I was so surprised by all of that, which as far as I can tell was lies, that I just got up and said "call me if you want to talk about the price" and didn't even mention the fact that I had Truecar pricing for that car from 3 other dealerships, or a fleet number through my job (although I don't know if that would have done any good).

Calling him out might not have been pleasant, but it's within your rights when someone's lying through their teeth. It's just a trim option.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

RockSmart posted:

Calling him out might not have been pleasant, but it's within your rights when someone's lying through their teeth. It's just a trim option.

I probably had the right to do a lot of things, I feel pretty good about exercising my right to get up and walk away and talk poo poo about him for the rest of the weekend, and of course talk poo poo about him on the internet (it was All American Ford in Old Bridge, NJ). That car was on the edge of being too expensive anyway, even if I talked them down to where I needed it to be.

I went into the place that the family business has a fleet account and I think they're going to hook me up. Hopefully my next post will have a picture in it and then I can cross post that picture to every other "post a picture of a car" thread and then go back to lurking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Neight posted:

I probably had the right to do a lot of things, I feel pretty good about exercising my right to get up and walk away and talk poo poo about him for the rest of the weekend, and of course talk poo poo about him on the internet (it was All American Ford in Old Bridge, NJ). That car was on the edge of being too expensive anyway, even if I talked them down to where I needed it to be.

I went into the place that the family business has a fleet account and I think they're going to hook me up. Hopefully my next post will have a picture in it and then I can cross post that picture to every other "post a picture of a car" thread and then go back to lurking.

I'm about 15 miles south of there in North Brunswick and Malouf Ford in my town has been great. They were very up front with me and it was by far my most painless car buying experience. (Though it hasn't been delivered yet.)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 11, 2011