Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm honestly shocked I'm not the only person alive aside from Jeremy Borash who remembers James from Kentucky, the kayfabe chicken plucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Board has been making jokes about him since its inception

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is he a member or does everybody remember him from WCW Live?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Is he a member or does everybody remember him from WCW Live?

He was an imfamous caller on Wrestling Observer Live as well.

http://f4w.wikia.com/wiki/James_from_Kentucky

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's great stuff. I miss that guy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really love Meltzer's rant against the people angry over the change to "WWE" is really perfect. It's just such pointless anger.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MassRayPer posted:

James from Kentucky taught us all that Dave is his middle name, his full name is Dynamite Dave Meltzer.

Where did you think Dynamite Kid got the nickname from?

The thief.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Where did you think Dynamite Kid got the nickname from?

I don't think that's correct.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Deadpool posted:

I don't think that's correct.

Because it was a joke?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

I'm 99% sure Deadpool assumed the identity of Dave Meltzer and has absorbed his joke killing powers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I'm 99% sure Deadpool assumed the identity of Dave Meltzer and has absorbed his joke killing powers.

Thanks for noticing :)

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Rick posted:

I really love Meltzer's rant against the people angry over the change to "WWE" is really perfect. It's just such pointless anger.

Wait, so Meltzer's FOR the idea of removing the word 'wrestling' from the product?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CVagts posted:

Wait, so Meltzer's FOR the idea of removing the word 'wrestling' from the product?

His position is that changing the name doesn't matter one way or the other and won't affect the company positively or negatively.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CVagts posted:

The second W stands for Wrestling. What got removed was the word Federation.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CVagts posted:

He's not FOR the change so much as he's AGAINST the bitching about such a stupid loving thing.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Deadpool posted:

His position is that changing the name doesn't matter one way or the other and won't affect the company positively or negatively.
He may be right, it really depends, if the name change is the finale of the process we've been seeing over the past few years of removing certain wrestling holds, the preferred vocabulary and the shift of Raw into a live variety show things shouldn't change that much from here.

However if this is all just the beginning of the process... May god have mercy on our souls.

Ah, Bryan and Vinny are great. No matter how bad it gets as long as we still have them the product will be enjoyable on some level even if that level is just listening to them berating it's awfulness, then we can all just stop buying PPV's and buy an Observer subscription and save some cash :)

I was listening to a show from February and Vinny is talking about how Cole and Riley are just ignoring the match they are supposed to be commentating after complaining about this Vinny just pauses for a few seconds in silence and exclaims 'Fuckers!' in a manner full of rage.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 3, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

CVagts posted:

His basic point is that it's just one more manifestation of a philosophy Vince has had for a long, long time now and not an individually big deal itself.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

The second W stands for Wrestling. What got removed was the word Federation.

The second W doesn't stand for anything anymore.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

The second W doesn't stand for anything anymore.

But I'm supposed to Stand Up For WWE!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

An idiot just got "Where was Wrestlemania 26 Held" wrong on the LAW.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

jeffersonlives posted:

His basic point is that it's just one more manifestation of a philosophy Vince has had for a long, long time now and not an individually big deal itself.

Yeah pretty much this.

Dave and Bryan calling a Triple H match an all time classic makes me so happy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Just getting around to listening to LAW this week. I couldn't believe how bad Jon of Ark sucked at Title-Bout-Trivia.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

An idiot just got "Where was Wrestlemania 26 Held" wrong on the LAW.
I bet Agnew got their address by telling them they were getting a prize and is going to shoot their house up in the near future. He's so fantastically impatient and angry with callers. I always feel bad when he's a dick to Jon of Ark though, but how nice Dan always is to him makes me :unsmith:

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
We spoke to Dave Prazak today on Smart Wrestling Fan about Honor Takes Center Stage. I'm obviously biased as the interviewer there but I think it was worth a listen!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lagana put up the Formerly Creative podcasts for post-WM with a few ex-writers and the one with just Lagana and Big Dick Johnson.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Awesome.

I have to compliment Alvarez on Mania Writers Week, excellent interviews.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lagana put up the Formerly Creative podcasts for post-WM with a few ex-writers and the one with just Lagana and Big Dick Johnson.

Was gonna post about this anyway so I'll just leave the link since I was beaten, haha.

Formerly Creative with Big Dick Johnson

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I enjoyed the I Want Wrestling podcast with Cary Silken, the owner of ROH. It's cool hearing how he's an old school wrestling fan, I didn't know that.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Holy poo poo I'm listening to Dave freak out about the girl from Tough Enough who said that Melina vs. Alicia Fox was her favorite match and it's pretty funny.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

Holy poo poo I'm listening to Dave freak out about the girl from Tough Enough who said that Melina vs. Alicia Fox was her favorite match and it's pretty funny.

Bryan has some great freakouts during today's Bryan and Vinny show. I think it's free as well if any non-subscribers here care.

Bryan's FFW about his weekend in Atlanta has been posted as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

sportsgenius86 posted:

Bryan has some great freakouts during today's Bryan and Vinny show. I think it's free as well if any non-subscribers here care.

I'd like to hear this, but it looks like it's not free, unless I'm using the site wrong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I enjoyed the I Want Wrestling podcast with Cary Silken, the owner of ROH. It's cool hearing how he's an old school wrestling fan, I didn't know that.

Not only that but he met Luke Williams while he was in Puerto Rico and Luke was booking. They became friends and that is why Bushwhacker Luke was on several shows in 07 and 08. A lot of people assumed Cary didn't know anything about the business when he fired Gabe and took a more active role and it turns out he is a lifelong fan and knows the business.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'd like to hear this, but it looks like it's not free, unless I'm using the site wrong.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/20146/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Edit: Beated.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ah, I was looking under the archives, got it now.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Holy poo poo. I NEED to hear the promo that Dave Taylor cut on the guy at subway in Atlanta

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Holy poo poo, I marked the gently caress out hearing the Bryan and Vinny show from the 6th open with Robert Johnston's 'Cross Road Blues'.

Who's the roots fan, does anyone know?

I love the rootsy music the show often opens with because I'm a big fan of it.

Roots music :allears:

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 7, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Sue Denim posted:

Holy poo poo, I marked the gently caress out hearing the Bryan and Vinny show from the 6th open with Robert Johnston's 'Cross Road Blues'.

Who's the roots fan, does anyone know?

I love the rootsy music the show often opens with because I'm a big fan of it.

Roots music :allears:

Bryan loves roots and blues and country and all that stuff

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

listened to Karl Stern for the first time today.

that's about all I can say about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Holy poo poo. I NEED to hear the promo that Dave Taylor cut on the guy at subway in Atlanta

This was a great observer when he was talking about Chael Sonnen and making him jump through hoops. Then Bryan insinuated he have some sort of physical challenge for him. The Dave Taylor part was definitely the highlight though.

• Locked thread