Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Not A Bear posted:

So, I've been having a look at maybe getting my hands on something to ride to work and maybe mess around a bit on weekends. So something pretty much cheap and cheerful, and a good first bike. I've had a bit of a look around on the bike classified sites here (I'm in australia) and I've come accross the Hyosung 250GT, I quite like the naked look, but yeah, are they any good? I can pick up a 2008 one for aboout $3500 bucks, which seems pretty reasonable? Anyone had any experiances with these bikes?

No. You want this: http://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Naked/VTR250

Hyosung has questionable quality control and is not worth spending the money on when there are more solid options from Japanese counterparts. You can pick up a used one for a good price - nothing says you need to get a new bike as long as you are capable enough to determine the quality of it at a private sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Not A Bear posted:

So, I've been having a look at maybe getting my hands on something to ride to work and maybe mess around a bit on weekends. So something pretty much cheap and cheerful, and a good first bike. I've had a bit of a look around on the bike classified sites here (I'm in australia) and I've come accross the Hyosung 250GT, I quite like the naked look, but yeah, are they any good? I can pick up a 2008 one for aboout $3500 bucks, which seems pretty reasonable? Anyone had any experiances with these bikes?

A decent <10 year old Suzuki GS500 will cost about that and be loads better.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
Cheers for the info guys, yeah I quite like the look of the Honda VTR250, definately going to go check a few out.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Alternatively, buy my CBR250RR! It's like a GT250R, but with more R's!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Found my next bike! :cool:

I like the retard eliminator - that could just be a universal acronym for GSX-Rs ridden by squids.* :smuggo:

Seriously though, that sounds like a steal. I'm jealous, you can't find anything that cheap and that good over here.

* does not refer to Endless Mike!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Might be doing a trade and just wanted to get opinions on a deal.

Trade would be my 2006 DRZ400SM + cash for a DL650. The scoop on it:

quote:

09 650
9k miles
grey
sw mototech pannier rack
knock off happy trail panniers
sargent seat
econo rear box
protaper trials bars
acerbis barkbusters
heated grips
garmin nuvi500 sw mototech mount
klr pegs
extra tkc80s(low miles)
extra b-stone tws(2 rears/1 front...and new)

http://i.imgur.com/PnlcT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YrUL6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SKKAi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZZodf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FCdJ7.jpg

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 6, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Edit: Was confused, read dl as dr. How much money on your side?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 6, 2011

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Haven't discussed a figure yet, so just hoping to get an idea of what might be a decent deal given the condition.

Pictures up now.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 6, 2011

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Around here at least I think I'd want at least $1000-$1500 kicked on to do that trade.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
In CA your DRZ would probably be worth about 3500 with all the aftermarket stuff, and that DL would probably go for around 4500. Somewhere in that range would be good.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My next bike will 99.8% be a certain yellow SV650 (going to see it this weekend), but I'm also looking around still in case I find something awry and it falls through.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2308107676.html

2003 cbr600rr for $6,500. 2,600 miles. Has a shitton of cosmetic mods. Apparenly never riden above 8k rpm.

Advice? What's a beter price? I'm asking for a test-ride, never rode a 600SS before in my life.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

My next bike will 99.8% be a certain yellow SV650 (going to see it this weekend), but I'm also looking around still in case I find something awry and it falls through.

2003 cbr600rr for $6,500. 2,600 miles. Has a shitton of cosmetic mods. Apparenly never riden above 8k rpm.

Advice? What's a beter price? I'm asking for a test-ride, never rode a 600SS before in my life.

Keeping an SS below 8k seems very hard to do.. I rarely keep my triumph below 8k riding normally and it only goes up to 13, not 16 or 18 :(

But then again, even if it was ridden at 12-13 it'd still be alright lol.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

If it's legitimately never been over 8k, I wouldn't want to buy it. Supersport engines are designed to be reved high, if you don't they usually end up with ring sealing issues and down on HP. The bike should be warmed up and then you should use the entire rev range. Babying a supersport engine does it no favors.

And his price should be about half that. 6.5k is absurd. Mods don't add any value to a bike, if he wants his money out of those he needs to pull them off and sell them separately.

Also, the only mods that aren't minor cosmetic poo poo on there are the damper (which it doesn't need, those bikes are super stable already), a pointless exhaust (slipons are essentially useless), a PC3 that is also useless if it wasn't dyno mapped for that bike, and some HIDs that likely have a lovely light output.

If he were asking 4k or something, sure, I might consider it, but at 6.5k? No loving way.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 6, 2011

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

So been keeping an eye on Autotrader as I hope to have my full license in a couple of months and I found this...http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...age/1?logcode=p

And yes I have posted this for that colour scheme alone. If its still not sold in a couple of months I may just have too buy it as it's :krad:

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Not A Bear posted:

Cheers for the info guys, yeah I quite like the look of the Honda VTR250, definately going to go check a few out.

I'll second FuzzyWuzzyBear's "buy a VTR" (because I loved the poo poo out of my first one until it was written off, and I'm looking to buy another), but just beware that they still command a pretty high price - I paid $5750 for mine a few years ago, which is almost exactly the same as what my dad paid for his VFR750.

Or you could look at the older VT250J/Z, which is similar sort of thing with a revvier engine, uglier looks, and probably a cheaper price.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Z3n posted:

If it's legitimately never been over 8k, I wouldn't want to buy it. Supersport engines are designed to be reved high, if you don't they usually end up with ring sealing issues and down on HP. The bike should be warmed up and then you should use the entire rev range. Babying a supersport engine does it no favors.

And his price should be about half that. 6.5k is absurd. Mods don't add any value to a bike, if he wants his money out of those he needs to pull them off and sell them separately.

Also, the only mods that aren't minor cosmetic poo poo on there are the damper (which it doesn't need, those bikes are super stable already), a pointless exhaust (slipons are essentially useless), a PC3 that is also useless if it wasn't dyno mapped for that bike, and some HIDs that likely have a lovely light output.

If he were asking 4k or something, sure, I might consider it, but at 6.5k? No loving way.

Thanks. I know cosmetic mods are worthless in the general picture. I really really wanna ride a 600SS before I ultimately go with the modded SV650, just to see which fits me better. I loved the high-revving nature of my Ninja 250, and would like the same in a higher-cc bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Thanks. I know cosmetic mods are worthless in the general picture. I really really wanna ride a 600SS before I ultimately go with the modded SV650, just to see which fits me better. I loved the high-revving nature of my Ninja 250, and would like the same in a higher-cc bike.

The problem with a supersport is first gear typically taps out around 50mph. And it'll do that while standing on the rear wheel. So...you never really get to run them out unless you're at the track. On my test ride of the GSX-R up a tight backroad, I easily hit triple digits without even trying, just gas it up in a straight line. Supersport 600s are brilliant motorcycles but are generally wasted for street riding because using the potential of the engine and the chassis means very illegal speeds, very quickly.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So is there something wrong with the Boulevard S40s/LS650s? In my searches these have come up a lot cheaper than 650s from other companies. Are they bad bikes?

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So is there something wrong with the Boulevard S40s/LS650s? In my searches these have come up a lot cheaper than 650s from other companies. Are they bad bikes?

They're thumpers as opposed to other 650s which are twins.

BradleyJamers fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 7, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

BradleyJamers posted:

They're thumpers as opposed to other 650s which are twins so it makes less horsepower.

Would it be a good beginner's bIke still? Are they reliable?

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Would it be a good beginner's bIke still? Are they reliable?

Yea, it's fine for a beginner and it's an air cooled single, can't get any more basic than that.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Open Layer posted:

So been keeping an eye on Autotrader as I hope to have my full license in a couple of months and I found this...http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...age/1?logcode=p

And yes I have posted this for that colour scheme alone. If its still not sold in a couple of months I may just have too buy it as it's :krad:

I'm actually looking for one myself. See Z3n's project thread (and CBR advice station apparently).

One thing that was brought back to me sitting on one recently was how slim they are compared to the other sportsbikes of the day. If you sit on a 'blade, a GSX-R or even a ZX6R, they are wide as hell with high pegs. Not comfy and also rather intimidating for your first (big) bike. I owned a '97 GSX-R 750 and I'm not sure I could get on with it these days, although it's still a seriously capable bit of kit.

If you really like it, buy it and stick it in a lockup or a garage for a couple of months. If for some reason you change your mind, you shouldn't lose anything selling it on ebay (albeit it's a bit overpriced, so you'd have to get a couple hundred off).

Bit of a trek down to Perth but I guess the selection is limited up there.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Saga posted:

I'm actually looking for one myself. See Z3n's project thread (and CBR advice station apparently).

One thing that was brought back to me sitting on one recently was how slim they are compared to the other sportsbikes of the day. If you sit on a 'blade, a GSX-R or even a ZX6R, they are wide as hell with high pegs. Not comfy and also rather intimidating for your first (big) bike. I owned a '97 GSX-R 750 and I'm not sure I could get on with it these days, although it's still a seriously capable bit of kit.

If you really like it, buy it and stick it in a lockup or a garage for a couple of months. If for some reason you change your mind, you shouldn't lose anything selling it on ebay (albeit it's a bit overpriced, so you'd have to get a couple hundred off).

Bit of a trek down to Perth but I guess the selection is limited up there.

Just window shopping at the moment really. Should be able to sell my 125 for maybe even 1500 up here so that will be the big bike fund. Found some nice 600's on there too from places that will deliver for a not cringe-worthy fee as well. But we'll see how we go, need that license first :D

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Open Layer posted:

Just window shopping at the moment really. Should be able to sell my 125 for maybe even 1500 up here so that will be the big bike fund. Found some nice 600's on there too from places that will deliver for a not cringe-worthy fee as well. But we'll see how we go, need that license first :D

FWIW, the only things I've found that's worth buying in that price range for that sort of bike are CBR600 F2s and possibly ZX6R 'G' models (end of the 90s). Competitors tend to feel outdated or be more expensive.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

I have a few mates up here who have been saying to get a Bandit 600 as a first bike as they are apparently ideal. Guess I'll see whats available in a couple of months.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Open Layer posted:

I have a few mates up here who have been saying to get a Bandit 600 as a first bike as they are apparently ideal. Guess I'll see whats available in a couple of months.

Depends what you want to do on it. If you want to tour and commute, yes. If you want to hoon it up even mildly around corners and do the occasional day at Knockhill, they're pish.

The Bandit 600 became a legend basically because until it came out, you couldn't buy a cheap bike in the mid-90s that wasn't loving abysmal, glacially slow and/or a shed. It basically sold on the basis of having a sound 85hp motor and big stickers saying "only £3,999 OTR!!!!!!"

Now of course you have your pick of fairly awesome nakeds that aren't wide, top heavy and boingy. You'll probably do DA on an ER-5 that can run rings around one.

Soapbox away anyway, roll on summer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Open Layer posted:

I like mine, it goes like stink compared to anything I've ever tried before and I have no problem hooning it around and generally breaking the law.

It's no 600cc supersport and it's definitely no track bike. But it is hella fun to ride and very friendly, even to a newbie like me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm personally partial to the ZX6E/ZZR600. Miguel DuHamel won AMA in 93 on one, one of my friends owns his B bike. It's more upright, puts out a respectable ~88 RWHP, and with some suspension work can handle pretty drat well. I had one as a second bike, put ~50,000 miles on one, plus a couple of trackdays. Advantages are that they're less desirable than the sportier models, and they ran essentially unchanged from 93-04 in the US, and 05 internationally, so there are a lot of them out there. Solid bikes that can do it all pretty well.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

I'm personally partial to the ZX6E/ZZR600. Miguel DuHamel won AMA in 93 on one, one of my friends owns his B bike. It's more upright, puts out a respectable ~88 RWHP, and with some suspension work can handle pretty drat well. I had one as a second bike, put ~50,000 miles on one, plus a couple of trackdays. Advantages are that they're less desirable than the sportier models, and they ran essentially unchanged from 93-04 in the US, and 05 internationally, so there are a lot of them out there. Solid bikes that can do it all pretty well.

How much do you have to do exactly to stop the wallow?

Might have a look at them although I suspect the Ninjaholics out there are keeping the used prices well above contemporary CBRs. Also, don't they have the world's most fiddly valve adjustment (that's just from something I read in a magazine 10 years ago so may be complete horseshit though)?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

How much do you have to do exactly to stop the wallow?

Might have a look at them although I suspect the Ninjaholics out there are keeping the used prices well above contemporary CBRs. Also, don't they have the world's most fiddly valve adjustment (that's just from something I read in a magazine 10 years ago so may be complete horseshit though)?

Springs in the front will help a lot, along with heavier weight fork oil. If you wanna go high end, Racetech cartridge emulators, or Ricor Intiminators. For the back, Fox shock, or I think there are Ohlins and Penskes floating around. Hagon and Works also make shocks for them, although we get fewer of those over here. Adding height on the rear makes them more quick steering while not sacrificing a huge amount of stability.

They're not tagged as Ninjas, generally...either ZZR600 or ZX6E, which drives off the Ninjaholics, plus they're really starting to get a bit dated looking.

The only downside to them is that with abuse, they tend to burn the motors at around 100k, with proper care, they tend to go to 100k-150k. Not quite as overbuilt as some of the other supersports of that era.

Valve adjustments are fine, with the usual irritations of a 4 cylinder DOHC engine. There are a couple of minor things that trip people up, installing the airbox can knock the connectors off the coils, the ram air can be a bitch to get to fit into the airbox, and getting the valve cover out of the way takes some careful wiggling (as it is with most twin spar framed 4 cylinders). Besides that though, it's pretty standard shim under bucket. I did my first valve adjustment on one and it went smoothly with the exception of my newb rear end loving up the cam timing repeatedly.

I had this color except with a black frame and exhaust. It was sweet. I'm still quietly waiting to find one like I had for nostalgia's sake.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I saw the 2003 red/black CBR600RR today. It was in mint condition. The seller was refusing to budge from his $6,500 asking price and said that someone else already offered $6k. He said the amount of mods he had in his bike justified the price (lol). He said I couldn't test-ride it but I could shift through the gears while the bike was on a rear stand. So I went for that and revved it through to 5th gear. But eh.. that isn't the same as riding it around. So I told him that I couldn't make a decision unless he let me ride it up and down his street. He still refused. Ah well. His firmness at $6,500 and the fact that he had babied the bike for his entire owning period... along with the fact that I don't have a garage (just street parking) made me pass on the CBR.

but god that was a beautiful bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dude was a complete dumbass, you're better off without the bike.

No one had offered 6k.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The bike will probably be back on CL in a couple weeks. I don't get people sometimes, there's been a dude selling a brand new 2010 Ninja special edition for 4k. The ad has been popping up for 4 or so months, he finally lowered the price a couple weeks ago to 3500... FIRM. Bike has 40 miles on it because he bought it for his wife and she got pregnant the next day or some other bullshit. All the while there are dealers in the area getting rid of new 2009s for 3k plus taxes.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

the walkin dude posted:

I saw the 2003 red/black CBR600RR today. It was in mint condition. The seller was refusing to budge from his $6,500 asking price and said that someone else already offered $6k. He said the amount of mods he had in his bike justified the price (lol). He said I couldn't test-ride it but I could shift through the gears while the bike was on a rear stand. So I went for that and revved it through to 5th gear. But eh.. that isn't the same as riding it around. So I told him that I couldn't make a decision unless he let me ride it up and down his street. He still refused. Ah well. His firmness at $6,500 and the fact that he had babied the bike for his entire owning period... along with the fact that I don't have a garage (just street parking) made me pass on the CBR.

but god that was a beautiful bike.

If were talking about 6500 american dollars, that will easily get you a 2007+ CBR 600RR low mileage model thats going to be way lighter, and other nice bits like a steering damper, more comfort, fully adjustable inverted forks, and fully adjustable rear, radial brakes, etc.

And in 05-06 models the bike was lighter, inverted front forks, and radial brakes.

He will NOT get 6500$ for that ever, not for a loving 03.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I've got a chance to pick up a really sweet bobbed out Rebel 250 for under 2k. It would be my first real bike (rode Vespas for years). My real concern is whether or not it would be too small. I'm 5'10" 190. Should I get this or hold out for something bigger?

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

EdsTeioh posted:

I've got a chance to pick up a really sweet bobbed out Rebel 250 for under 2k. It would be my first real bike (rode Vespas for years). My real concern is whether or not it would be too small. I'm 5'10" 190. Should I get this or hold out for something bigger?

If you want a cruiser, yes. The 250 cruisers become unsatisfying VERY quickly.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

That's about what I figured. The bike is really nice, though, and it's been hard separating the advice from my friends saying "Dude, get at least a 500" vs. the internet's "Your first bike must be a 250"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

The bike will probably be back on CL in a couple weeks. I don't get people sometimes, there's been a dude selling a brand new 2010 Ninja special edition for 4k. The ad has been popping up for 4 or so months, he finally lowered the price a couple weeks ago to 3500... FIRM. Bike has 40 miles on it because he bought it for his wife and she got pregnant the next day or some other bullshit. All the while there are dealers in the area getting rid of new 2009s for 3k plus taxes.
But it's a special edition!!!!!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

Depends what you want to do on it. If you want to tour and commute, yes. If you want to hoon it up even mildly around corners and do the occasional day at Knockhill, they're pish.

The Bandit 600 became a legend basically because until it came out, you couldn't buy a cheap bike in the mid-90s that wasn't loving abysmal, glacially slow and/or a shed. It basically sold on the basis of having a sound 85hp motor and big stickers saying "only £3,999 OTR!!!!!!"

Now of course you have your pick of fairly awesome nakeds that aren't wide, top heavy and boingy. You'll probably do DA on an ER-5 that can run rings around one.

Soapbox away anyway, roll on summer.

Good timing on the Bandit 600 talk. I'm going to take a look at a '98 tomorrow that's supposed to be in excellent condition with around 14k miles. The seller is asking $2000 for it, which seems to be slightly over the median price I've seen around here.

I'm still a noob rider, just looking for something more reliable than my current ride. I figure that at that price I can always flip it in a couple of months when summer starts if I'm not happy with it.

I'm not looking to track it, not looking for a supersport (yet), I just hope to get a few months of learning and commuting on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm still a noob rider, just looking for something more reliable than my current ride.

If the Bandit's anything, it's reliable as gently caress. There's basically nothing there to go wrong!

As long as the engine runs and it's not rusty, you're probably good to go. The engine is based on the old old old air/oil-cooled GSX-R engine and detuned, it's basically a heavy old lump of pure reliability and a glutton for punishment.

If the Yamaha XJ600 is the Corolla of motorcycles, the Bandit is probably the Civic.