Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
Here is another:

http://soundcloud.com/ma86-project/7-29-04-the-day-of-forever-la

A mashup of David Holmes' 7/29/04 The Day Of, Drake's Forever, and La Caution's Thι ΰ la Menthe.

Also, I notice alot of you are posting full sets. Should I stop posting individual mixes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

1karus posted:

Should I stop posting individual mixes?

Stop making these because they are terrible in every regard.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Stop making these because they are terrible in every regard.

Post some constructive criticism please.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
You're using vocals from drat near two years ago and you're making them sound like absolute digitized poo poo, hope this helps.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

1karus posted:

Also, I notice alot of you are posting full sets. Should I stop posting individual mixes?
This is the DJ mix thread, not the mashup thread. I don't know if there is a mashup thread but this is not it.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

You're using vocals from drat near two years ago and you're making them sound like absolute digitized poo poo, hope this helps.

A problem for me is that I don't really know popular music, and I guess thats kind of a problem trying to do mashups. I'm literally going through acapellas4u and looking at the most downloaded tracks for each alphabetical category. Thanks, though.

Socket Ryanist posted:

This is the DJ mix thread, not the mashup thread. I don't know if there is a mashup thread but this is not it.

Alright. I'll try posting in some of the other DJ threads.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

1karus posted:

Alright. I'll try posting in some of the other DJ threads.
No no no, making mashups is a producer thing not a DJ thing.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Socket Ryanist posted:

making mashups is a producer thing

I beg to differ sir.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

1karus posted:

A problem for me is that I don't really know popular music

If you don't know popular music don't try to make popular music.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

1karus posted:

A problem for me is that I don't really know popular music, and I guess thats kind of a problem trying to do mashups. I'm literally going through acapellas4u and looking at the most downloaded tracks for each alphabetical category. Thanks, though.

I'm confused... if you don't like the music, why are you making mashups? I thought the whole appeal of mashups was "haha, two songs that I know go together!"

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Chitin posted:

I'm confused... if you don't like the music, why are you making mashups? I thought the whole appeal of mashups was "haha, two songs that I know go together!"

The idea of what I wanted to accomplish was doing minimalistic mashups of the music that I listened to, however when I started going around looking for acapellas and instrumentals of that music, it became clear that it was going to be somewhat difficult to do.

Now, I might have misunderstood DD's comment about using older vocal tracks, but with that and advice from my friends who go clubbing, people seem to enjoy mashups with tracks that they actually know (also popular), instead of unknown music.

While I have a couple of years of using ableton live for making my own music (post-rock), I've really only been using it for DJ/electronic production in this past week. I'm basically reapplying what I know in a new setting, so I'm going around looking for all the advice and criticism I can get.

Also, it isn't that I dislike popular music, it's just that I really didn't start listening to it until trying to take on this idea.

Drummond Bass
Apr 13, 2007

1karus posted:

The idea of what I wanted to accomplish was doing minimalistic mashups of the music that I listened to, however when I started going around looking for acapellas and instrumentals of that music, it became clear that it was going to be somewhat difficult to do.

Now, I might have misunderstood DD's comment about using older vocal tracks, but with that and advice from my friends who go clubbing, people seem to enjoy mashups with tracks that they actually know (also popular), instead of unknown music.

While I have a couple of years of using ableton live for making my own music (post-rock), I've really only been using it for DJ/electronic production in this past week. I'm basically reapplying what I know in a new setting, so I'm going around looking for all the advice and criticism I can get.

The "how do I make electronic/etc music thread" is probably more suited to this sort of thing really. Anyway, whatever time stretch algorithm you're using sounds like crap on the vocals, it sounds really disjointed and unnatural, try a different one. Back off the compression and limiting as well, there is some really nasty digital clipping going on and the compression artifacts are doing more harm than good IMO. If you hear the phrase L1'd it's in reference to what you've done here.

Do you listen to much music that does what you're trying to achieve? Do you have many favorite mashup/remix tracks and artists? The ideas you have aren't bad but they need a bit of work to be executed more professionally.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Giant Robot Fight! posted:

The "how do I make electronic/etc music thread" is probably more suited to this sort of thing really. Anyway, whatever time stretch algorithm you're using sounds like crap on the vocals, it sounds really disjointed and unnatural, try a different one. Back off the compression and limiting as well, there is some really nasty digital clipping going on and the compression artifacts are doing more harm than good IMO. If you hear the phrase L1'd it's in reference to what you've done here.

Do you listen to much music that does what you're trying to achieve? Do you have many favorite mashup/remix tracks and artists? The ideas you have aren't bad but they need a bit of work to be executed more professionally.

The time stretch is Ableton Live's warp feature. I was mainly trying to wing it on the software automating the warping, however I've gone back and manually warped the "Forever" vocal track after seeing a tutorial by DJ Vespers and it sounds alot better, but still too fast. Overall, while this particular mashup is a technical failure, I feel that I had alot of fun making it and because of it I'm learning more.

As for your music question, most of my exposure to the mashup genre comes from the GYBO community, Girl Talk, and DangerMouse's Grey Album

Thanks for the advice.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
So after much lurking I'm doing what I swore I wouldn't. It's my birthday so gently caress it, here's my semi-crummy first mix. Mixed on turntables with Serato Scratch Live.

Forewarning: some less than stellar transitions, key lock was on one deck and not the other. Around min 27 and min 56 (wrong button!) being especially egregious. Gets a little too busy / terrible at minutes 23-24 and 64-66.

Starts out sort of glitchy (like two tracks), moves towards dark techno (inspired by Rivfader's mixes) for a few tracks, then strips back to tech-house and house. Last song is kind of tacked on because it's an old favourite. Track list is all over the place in terms of dating, definitely not bleeding edge. Clocks in at an hour forty.

Anyways, enjoy (or don't).

http://soundcloud.com/pending-1/happy-birthday-to-me-mix

Gold Panda - Quitters Raga
Microtrauma - Contrast
Anthony Rother - Man Up The Hill (Gui Boratto Remix)
Xenia Beliayeva - Analog Effekt (Original Mix)
Marc Romboy & Stephan Bodzin - Phobos (Pan-Pot Remix)
Wehbba - Double Standards (Joseph Capriati Remix)
Andreas Florin - Apodis (A-Brothers Remix)
Dusty Kid - Lynchesque
Applescal - In The Mirror(Max Cooper Remix)
Super Flu - Rattelschneck
Minilogue - Doiicie A
Jabberjaw - Speak for Some of That
N/A Feat. Rosina - Fables And Fairytales (Deniz Kurtel Remix)
Maya Jane Coles - What They Say
Mr. G - JB's (Original Mix)
Henrik Schwarz, Βme & Dixon feat. Derrick L. Carter - Where We At (Version 3)
Roland Clark - Black In My Soul (Tiger Stripes Main Remix)
Arsenal - Estupendo (Gui Boratto Remix)
John Tejada - Sweat (On The Walls) (Original Mix)
Mendo - Aventuras
Alex Smoke - Sortie
Minilogue - The Leopard (Extraweit Remix)

Again, the transitions are not as super tight as I'd like it. Feedback and comments welcome.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Cowboy. posted:

So after much lurking I'm doing what I swore I wouldn't. It's my birthday so gently caress it, here's my semi-crummy first mix. Mixed on turntables with Serato Scratch Live.

Forewarning: some less than stellar transitions, key lock was on one deck and not the other. Around min 27 and min 56 (wrong button!) being especially egregious. Gets a little too busy / terrible at minutes 23-24 and 64-66.

Starts out sort of glitchy (like two tracks), moves towards dark techno (inspired by Rivfader's mixes) for a few tracks, then strips back to tech-house and house. Last song is kind of tacked on because it's an old favourite. Track list is all over the place in terms of dating, definitely not bleeding edge. Clocks in at an hour forty.

Anyways, enjoy (or don't).

http://soundcloud.com/pending-1/happy-birthday-to-me-mix

Gold Panda - Quitters Raga
Microtrauma - Contrast
Anthony Rother - Man Up The Hill (Gui Boratto Remix)
Xenia Beliayeva - Analog Effekt (Original Mix)
Marc Romboy & Stephan Bodzin - Phobos (Pan-Pot Remix)
Wehbba - Double Standards (Joseph Capriati Remix)
Andreas Florin - Apodis (A-Brothers Remix)
Dusty Kid - Lynchesque
Applescal - In The Mirror(Max Cooper Remix)
Super Flu - Rattelschneck
Minilogue - Doiicie A
Jabberjaw - Speak for Some of That
N/A Feat. Rosina - Fables And Fairytales (Deniz Kurtel Remix)
Maya Jane Coles - What They Say
Mr. G - JB's (Original Mix)
Henrik Schwarz, Βme & Dixon feat. Derrick L. Carter - Where We At (Version 3)
Roland Clark - Black In My Soul (Tiger Stripes Main Remix)
Mendo - Aventuras
Alex Smoke - Sortie
Minilogue - The Leopard (Extraweit Remix)

Again, the transitions are not as super tight as I'd like it. Feedback and comments welcome.

listened to the first 1/4th of this while playing some games - really good track selection, the sloppy mixing aside. May have started abit too hard/fast and progressed to quickly but I'll listen to the rest later. Anyway good job and you dont really suck just practice practice practice.

And good tunes over good mixing - always.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

And good tunes over good mixing - always.

I kind of disagree. On bedroom mixes, where there's no crowd, mixing is really all you can shine on.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Crosspost from the d&b thread:

Just finished recording, uploading and tracklisting my latest mix. It's a competition entry for Outlook festival in Croatia, and every play, 'favourite', and vote helps me on my way to becoming an international (technically) superstar DJ, at which point you can of course all join me on my champagne and cocaine-fuelled yacht parties.

Quality d&b in 30 minutes.

Mix here: http://www.mixcloud.com/aerial/outlook-festival-competition-entry/
Vote here: http://www.outlookfestival.com/outlook-2011-dj-competition/

Tracklist here:

Icicle - Arrows
>> Shimon & Andy C - Nightflight
Nymfo - Sidewise in Time
Rockwell & Untold - Rekohu Sunrise
>> Icicle - Mnml Funk
Nu:logic - New Technique
>> Origin Unknown - Valley of the Shadows
Micky Finn & Aphrodite - Bad rear end
Moving Fusion - Turbulence
DJ SS - The Lighter
Ray Keith - The Chopper (Shy FX Remix)
Hazard - Food Fight
Break - Too Much
Spectrasoul - Mimic
Panic Girl - Blue Lights (dBridge Don't Panic Remix)
Photek - Knitevision
Breakage ft. Jess Mills - Fighting Fire (Loadstar Remix)
>> Skeptical - Cold One (Jubei Remix)
Siren - Snorkel
Alix Perez ft. Foreign Beggars - Dark Days
Commix - Belleview (dBridge Belle-Reviewed Remix)
Origin Unknown - Lunar Bass (Commix VIP)
Fresh - The Gatekeeper
>> Bad Company UK - The Nine

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Did a quick 40 min mix tonight. Have some techno.

http://soundcloud.com/losttransmission/ribbing-it

Tracklist to follow when I'm not posting via phone.

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005
Many Bothans died to bring us this information

Cowboy. posted:

I actually enjoyed this a lot. a couple of the transitions were a little shaky like you said but the tune selection was wicked... I dont know a great deal about techno/house but i'm definitely gonna follow up on some of these artists youve dropped in here. nice one!

I just finished recording a new mix myself, its just over an hour of neurofunk/techstep drum and bass. Enjoy!

Tensor - April 2011 Neuro/Tech dnb mix

Tracklist:

1) Billain - Probes [Syndrome]
2) >>>Noisia – Displaced [Vision]
3) Phace -Strange Science [Shogun Audio]
4) Spor – Kingdom [Lifted Music]
5) Octane & DLR – The Fly [Sonorous]
6) Phace – Vintage [Neosignal]
7) Alix Perez ft. Noisia – Loose Ends [Shogun Audio]
8) Siren – Snorkel [Siren]
9) >>>Break – Isis [Symmetry]
10) June Miller & Mindmapper – Quartz Controlled [Buried Audio]
11) Genotype – Upload Crisis [Broken Audio]
12) Skeptical – Cold One (Jubei Remix) [Ingredients]
13) Rockwell – DJ Friendly Unit Shifter [Shogun Audio]
14) Phobia & Sato – Jitter [Coded]
15) Gremlinz & Anile – Stand Alone [Renegade Hardware]
16) Octane, DLR & Survival – Transition [Renegade Hardware]
17) BTK - Vengeance (Octane & DLR Ripping and Tearing Remix) [Dutty Audio]
18) S.P.Y. - The Boy Who Cried Wolf [31 Records]
19) Fresh – Heavyweight [Digital Soundboy]
20) Enei, Eastcolors & Noel – Cracker [Critical]
21) Icicle ft. SP:MC – Dreadnaught [Shogun Audio]
22) Ulterior Motive & Zero T – Breach [Subtitles UK]
23) Break & Die – Slow Down [Symmetry]
24) >>>Rockwell - Noir (Ulterior Motive Remix) [Critical]
25) >>>Break & Spectrasoul – Martyr [Symmetry]
26) DBridge & Vegas – True Romance [Metalheadz Platinum]

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Auspex posted:

I just finished recording a new mix myself, its just over an hour of neurofunk/techstep drum and bass. Enjoy!

Tensor - April 2011 Neuro/Tech dnb mix

I really enjoyed this.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

1karus posted:

The time stretch is Ableton Live's warp feature. I was mainly trying to wing it on the software automating the warping, however I've gone back and manually warped the "Forever" vocal track after seeing a tutorial by DJ Vespers and it sounds alot better, but still too fast. Overall, while this particular mashup is a technical failure, I feel that I had alot of fun making it and because of it I'm learning more.

As for your music question, most of my exposure to the mashup genre comes from the GYBO community, Girl Talk, and DangerMouse's Grey Album

Thanks for the advice.

Tough crowd here, but they're right that the the vocals don't sound that great. I did enjoy listening to your mashup, but the time stretch makes the lyrics difficult for me to make out. Keep at it and maybe find vocals that you don't need to speed up so much?

dokomoy posted:

I really enjoyed this.

Really enjoying this.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Coachella-themed mix, crossposting from NMD, PHIZ, etc...

http://soundcloud.com/robmccallmixesmusic/christmas-in-april

Nas - The Genesis
Beardyman, A.Skillz - Got the Rhythm
The Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains beyond Mountains)
Tokimonsta - Sa Mo Jung
Thunderball - Electric Shaka (ft. Afrika Bambaata)
Cut Copy - Pharoahs and Pyramids
The Chemical Brothers - Swoon (Boys Noize remix)
Tommy Vee - Stay (Bloody Beetroots club mix)
Axwell - Heart is King
Carte Blanche - Gare du Nord (Green Velvet remix)
Broken Social Scene - All to All (Skeet Skeet remix)
SBTRKT & Sinden - Kind of Familiar
Leftfield - Space Shanty
Ramadanman - Tempest
Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes (Dam-Funk remix)
OFWGKTA - Orange Juice
Magnetic Man - K Dance
Kanye West - Flashing Lights (High Contrast remix)
Trentmoller - Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider Go!
The Chemical Brothers - K+D+B
Lil B - 3 Stacks

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 12, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

tylertfb posted:

Did a quick 40 min mix tonight. Have some techno.

http://soundcloud.com/losttransmission/ribbing-it

Tracklist to follow when I'm not posting via phone.

Good mix, excellent selection, should have been an hour longer though :dance:

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005
Many Bothans died to bring us this information

dokomoy posted:

I really enjoyed this.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thanks guys! glad you liked it :)

Not Jerobi
Apr 19, 2010

Frimmin' on the frim fram.
Frimmin' on the fram.
http://soundcloud.com/jerobi/32311houselive

A friend of mine from across the pond asked me for an electro-house mix, so I asked what she was into. She could only come up with Fake Blood and goon fav Deadmau5 so I tried to work some lesser known stuff in there as well. Should scratch the itch, so to speak. Track list below -

1."I'm Not Your Toy - Jack Beats Rmx" - La Roux
2."Beeper - Fake Blood Remix" - Sinden and the Count of Monte Cristal
3."Don't Go Back" - Lazy Rich
4."Cantina" - Starkillers
5."ADD SUV (Armand Van Helden mix) - Pharrel f. Uffie
6."The Dozens" - Fake Blood
7."Will Fail" - Deadmau5
8."Strobe" - Deadmau5
9."Brazil" - Deadmau5
10."Lilly Was Here" - GPP
11."Just Close Your Eyes" - Dankann, AquaDiva
12."Love Green" - Mr. Qwertz

***** :hurr: After all that loving hee-hawing, the actual mix was poo poo anyway - listened to it at the gym today for the first time. Getting re-done but no worries, you all won't even see it.

Instead, the link up top now goes to a live house mix I posted a few weeks back. Track list for that one is in the original post. Have a live mix recorded from this weeks ghettoradio and myhouseyourhouse broadcasts which I will post later. Leaving the old track list and ensuing a bloo bloo up for posterity or something.

Not Jerobi fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 15, 2011

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I just threw up in my mouth a little. Does that count as feedback?

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I do a weekly live internet radio show and just recently decided to start recording and posting an hour or so of the mixes. If you're into deep house, tech house, or even the deeper side of techno you might enjoy them.

Here's the latest one (mostly deeper house)

http://soundcloud.com/dirty_/dirty-sunday-worship-041011

edit: grammah

GET MY BELT SON fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 12, 2011

Not Jerobi
Apr 19, 2010

Frimmin' on the fram.

Dopo posted:

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Does that count as feedback?

Good thing you're not a hot and clueless Brit chick then! Listen to the mix and then spew forth your whatever. Oh No! Not Deadmaufive!

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
If her opinion is the only one you care about, then why not just ask her? Here I was thinking that you wanted honest opinions from people with more experience than you. Maybe we should have another thread for newbie DJ mixes where we just pat them on the back for figuring out the beatport shopping cart. Seriously, this kind of bullshit is why most of the better DJs from SA stop posting in this thread. You're asking people to listen to an hour of this and then getting indignant when they comment on the track selection.

Not Jerobi
Apr 19, 2010

Frimmin' on the fram.
Actually, I was just posting the mix to,ya know, contribute. To be honest, I'll still listen to feedback from goons and take it into consideration if it's given in that vein, but what you posted was a waste of time for anyone to even read. The track selection was based on what she wanted to hear, it's a live mix and not edited, blah blah... You didn't even comment on any specific tracks. Just another "OMG popular/known/hear at the clubs - songs" snide remark. How is that at all helpful to anyone? Half this thread goes back and forth from "bro you gotta spin top 40/club hitz" to "nah bro you gotta spin tha underground and poo poo man." Your presentation of attitude was just like that.

I'm not going to name drop or go on to give myself cred, suffice to say I've spun with DJ's most of you know and some serious House heroes; so I do know what my hands are in. I'm not disrespectful on poo poo just for the sake of it. One of my buddies drops an electro mix every week for some random station and although I may not care for what he's playing; I'll still listen to the mix and see what's going on, if he's done something interesting, what the transitions are like, etc... I had picked up somewhere in this thread that was what half the posters in here were doing. Unless of course you know what all those songs sound like mixed, you can feel free to save yourself the time? And a lot of people who would listen know how to skip through stuff on Soundcloud, so I wouldn't expect any person with that ability to not skip to the mixes if they don't care for a track or are sick to death of it. I'm not trying to participate in some electronic hipster pissing contest.

Not Jerobi fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 12, 2011

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007
definitely could use more five year old deadmau5 tracks all played out in a row, you know for like that phat sound all the people are looking for in the club. and some dumb chick youre trying to bone. props

Not Jerobi
Apr 19, 2010

Frimmin' on the fram.

JimmyJazz posted:

definitely could use more five year old deadmau5 tracks all played out in a row, you know for like that phat sound all the people are looking for in the club. and some dumb chick youre trying to bone. props

Keep forgetting this is SA. There I go putting reason into posts.

I'mma go make a cutting edge rhoombaton/brostep mix for all you. sperg on!

Maybe I'll put up a "non beatport" house mix later or something, but I'm going to go ahead and make it all DJ Sneak/Fast Eddie to see how that sits. Should go over well.

Not Jerobi fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 12, 2011

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cowboy. posted:

The mix above and one a ways before (didn't check the time) sounded like you touched the platter / record. Don't do that. Use the pitch slider to adjust - it will be more controlled and smoother once you get used to it. Yes, you may get lucky, but it's much easier to screw up and overcorrect.

JimmyJazz posted:

You mean the retarded circus electro fart house music?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

achtung_babeh posted:

Keep forgetting this is SA...

I'mma go make a cutting edge rhoombaton/brostep mix for all you. drat sperglords, sperg on!

Maybe I'll put up a "non beatport" house mix later or something, but I'm going to go ahead and make it all DJ Sneak to see how that sits. Should go over well.

your attitude sucks just as much as his just fyi. why should we take an hour of our day to listen to your mix of dated electro bangers and boring prog house yawners? because some girl who doesn't know anything about electronic music outside of Deadmau5 and Fake Blood is feelin it? how is that a good way to market your product?

i would gladly listen to a mix of yours with an interesting tracklist, or if you were a DJ i knew that came through with the goods on the reg. that's how it works

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

geeves posted:

The mix above and one a ways before (didn't check the time) sounded like you touched the platter / record. Don't do that. Use the pitch slider to adjust - it will be more controlled and smoother once you get used to it.
I see tons of professional DJs touch the platter. Just because it's not your preferred method doesn't mean it's not a valid one.

Not Jerobi
Apr 19, 2010

Frimmin' on the fram.

Vernacular posted:

your attitude sucks just as much as his just fyi. why should we take an hour of our day to listen to your mix of dated electro bangers and boring prog house yawners? because some girl who doesn't know anything about electronic music outside of Deadmau5 and Fake Blood is feelin it? how is that a good way to market your product?

i would gladly listen to a mix of yours with an interesting tracklist, or if you were a DJ i knew that came through with the goods on the reg. that's how it works

You know what, fair enough on that - I was the one who posted a mix containing Deadmau5 and Fake Blood tracks in this thread. I've been around long enough to know better but pointed at that mix anyway. It's not like it's news for DJ's to spout off elitist rhetoric when it comes to songs, especially ones containing artists known to touch on goon nerves. The Deadmau5 tracks in there are older, but they don't grate my ears like his new poo poo which is why I chose them. I wasn't trying to market myself at all with this particular selection. I had this mix on my work cpu, threw it up, said "hey here's this mix", and the screams of injustice started flowing.

Context is apparently key- I don't come through here on the reg, but no one was coming through and I had this mix handy so there it was. I took it out of contxt myself by putting a one off novelty mix up here when I have yet to provide interesting normal mixes on the regular. I can't be suprised the vitriol was so ready when it's like the single thing being representative.

Not Jerobi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 12, 2011

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

While there's no problem with playing old popular tracks at an event, putting them in a mix isn't necessarily smart because those tracks are likely contained in many many other mixes.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
speaking of old tracks

http://soundcloud.com/sirius-demand/sirius-uk-garage-mini-mix

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Socket Ryanist posted:

I see tons of professional DJs touch the platter. Just because it's not your preferred method doesn't mean it's not a valid one.

I've also seen many professional djs gently caress up because of it as well. But you're right - to each their own, though.

For me it's just something I've seen more and more of lately. Especially the newer DJs who have only ever used CDJs / sertato / final scratch whatever believe the BPM counter more than their ears. therefore instead of working the pitch slider, they just randomly try to speed up or slowdown the record to match up - instead of actually correcting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
With vinyl everyone has their own way of making corrections, I typically blend a lot of techniques together: grabbing the spindle, tapping the rim, tapping the label, riding the pitchfader and I learned this neet trick the other day... When playing 33rpm records hold one finger on the 33rpm button, and quickly tap the 45rpm button with the other. Takes a few tries to get the hang of it, but it's very smooth if you get it. Of coarse you still need to adjust the pitch afterwards.

• Locked thread