Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Basically a 360x180 dump of where our users have recorded GPS coordinates for 'routes' they make up. Obviously almost everyone is in North America but you can see a couple other outlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

lmao zebong posted:

Me and two other friends have been working on an Android game for the last 5 weeks, and today we were finally able to upload our lite version to the market today. It's a puzzle game that has you using mirrors and prisms to bounce colored lasers around to hit the corresponding checkpoints. It would be great if anybody interested would download it and tell me what you think of it. It's called Refraction and are planning on releasing the paid version in a week. Here's the market link: http://ow.ly/4q1xl

This looks awesome. I'll definitely try it out tonight. I hope to tackle something more game-like on my next project. I just started learning Java/Android development a week ago and have cobbled together a little something to put on the app store today. Since it's more of an aural experience, I'll include the (free) link to the app store http://tinyurl.com/3lfv54j as well as my underwhelming screen shot.

It's basically a garden variety shake the phone/push the button and sounds play application with a 70's kung fu movie theme. Nothing too fancy, but it was an excellent babby's first Android application.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm working on a first person RPG in the vein of the old Might and Magic/Wizardry games for Android:

I made a raycaster for the graphics, in C with the NDK for performance. Why not use OpenGL? Idk, I just think raycasters are cool.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Re-plot to an actual image file instead of the console:

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 10, 2017

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Other than play the MP3 I picked, it doesn't do anything. =(

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 10, 2017

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Re-plot to an actual image file instead of the console:

Looks much nicer now.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

netcat posted:

I'm working on a first person RPG in the vein of the old Might and Magic/Wizardry games for Android:

I made a raycaster for the graphics, in C with the NDK for performance. Why not use OpenGL? Idk, I just think raycasters are cool.

Awesome. Raycasters are sweet. Are you using a grid à la Wolf3d, or do you allow arbitrarily oriented walls?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

steckles posted:

Awesome. Raycasters are sweet. Are you using a grid à la Wolf3d, or do you allow arbitrarily oriented walls?

It's just a grid, for simplicity and because the game itself is grid-based.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

Jo posted:

I'm peeved that DNF and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are so far away. I decided to start (or restart, depending on how much code I use from Devil Gear Solid) and make a 2D stealth game. Hoping to have a decent demo by the end of the weekend.

Any progress on this? I've always been bummed out by the lack of indie stealth games.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Seven Round Things posted:

Any progress on this? I've always been bummed out by the lack of indie stealth games.

Yes. I'd say I'm close to 35-40% done. The basic pieces are in place, but I need to refactor the mapping system and make the entities less stupid.

EDIT: I should say I'm aiming for release of a one level demo on May 15.

Jo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 9, 2011

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 10, 2017

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

wacky posted:

This might be a dumb question but I can't tell if that is a real city or not. What city is it? Cityscapes are so effing cool and they tie in perfectly to the cyberpunk (dream) lifestyle of the programmer :allears:

I have no idea. Google image search for Future Cityscape, or something like that. It, along with the title, "Sneaking Mission" are placeholders.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

You should keep it.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sneaking Mission posted:

You should keep it.

You make a convincing argument.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

Compiler for a toy language I'm working on :) It uses LLVM as the backend, in case you couldn't tell from the paths.

At the moment it just has functions, print statements and return statements. I'm working on a bit of cleanup before I start adding more basic features like local variables. After that I'll start working on adding types, then function closures.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

wacky posted:

This might be a dumb question but I can't tell if that is a real city or not. What city is it? Cityscapes are so effing cool and they tie in perfectly to the cyberpunk (dream) lifestyle of the programmer :allears:
It's a real photo of Tokyo.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

A prototype for an always-on monitor to our datacenter monitoring thing.

And as its a prototype, I get to use javascript libraries and everything and not worry about our overcomplicated frameworks :D

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Compiler for a toy language I'm working on :) It uses LLVM as the backend, in case you couldn't tell from the paths.

Cool!

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

kalleth posted:

And as its a prototype, I get to use javascript libraries and everything and not worry about our overcomplicated frameworks :D

that's really neat. Reminds me of a nicer version of the collectd output: http://collectd.org/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kalleth posted:

Yay, sparklines. Tufte would be proud

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
actually tufte would likely be cruel about the bar graph with shading, a loud grid & lack of units :shobon:

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lurchington posted:

that's really neat. Reminds me of a nicer version of the collectd output: http://collectd.org/

Kinda-sorta :) We actually use something v. similar in the background to collect information for all of the servers. It's mainly HPC/cluster stuff right now, hence the average cpu/mem.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Working on a Runebound-ish turn based game. My roommate and I play a lot of these games, so I decided to try make my own (digital!) one. Things left to do: Everything. :neckbeard:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Your Computer posted:

Working on a Runebound-ish turn based game. My roommate and I play a lot of these games, so I decided to try make my own (digital!) one. Things left to do: Everything. :neckbeard:

I see you, too, have discovered the absolute joy of the Slick 2D library. Rock on Slick buddy. :):hf::)

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Jo posted:

I see you, too, have discovered the absolute joy of the Slick 2D library. Rock on Slick buddy. :):hf::)

Is there something similar to Slick 2D only in C?

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

I know it looks like rear end, but I finally completed what I consider the first version of my game. This first build includes basic functionality (basic world algorithm, character controller, adding/deleting cubes, loading/unloading chunks, "unlimited" world).

Doesn't look like much, but when I started down this path I didn't have much 3d knowledge at all. I've been keeping my dev diary at http://dangerz.blogspot.com. Bunch of videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/dangerznet too.

Next version is going to focus on world elements. Wildlife, plants, sky.. things of that nature.

dangerz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 13, 2011

speng31b
May 8, 2010

dangerz posted:

I know it looks like rear end, but I finally completed what I consider the first version of my game. This first build includes basic functionality (basic world algorithm, character controller, adding/deleting cubes, loading/unloading chunks, "unlimited" world).

Doesn't look like much, but when I started down this path I didn't have much 3d knowledge at all. I've been keeping my dev diary at http://dangerz.blogspot.com. Bunch of videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/dangerznet too.

Next version is going to focus on world elements. Wildlife, plants, sky.. things of that nature.

"The blog you were looking for was not found. If you are the owner of this blog, please sign in."

e: Oh, you put the period as part of the link.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 13, 2011

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

octoroon posted:

"The blog you were looking for was not found. If you are the owner of this blog, please sign in."

e: Oh, you put the period as part of the link.
Sorry about that.. fixed. drat auto-urlizer.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cowcatcher posted:

Is there something similar to Slick 2D only in C?

Check out wikipedia's list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
I wrote an ASP.NET handler that turns images into Excel files. The image-to-excel thing's been done before, but not in a way that lets you configure IIS to serve these instead of images :v:

It downsamples the incoming images to 8bpp to speed things up and avoid running out of colours (Excel only gives you so many). It can also do some fancy stuff like scaling or loading a set from a zip file (in which case each image is a separate worksheet).

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
davejk: How are you generating the files? Emitting the OOXML yourself?

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
It uses this library, since it's what I'm using at work for some reporting output. Given more time I'd like to develop a version that builds the OOXML, though, since on larger images the library seems to produce invalid output. (This probably isn't a use they had in mind when they wrote it.)

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

davejk posted:

I wrote an ASP.NET handler that turns images into Excel files.

This is one of those 'because I can' or 'because I'm bored' projects, isn't it :P

Cool stuff though; I would have thought excel would pretty much break with that much stuff.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I ask because I've built something like that library you're using. To stress-test both Excel and my stylesheet managing code I wrote a little demo that arranged cells as pixels like you did and drew an animated plasma. By figuring out how many pixels high the window will be it's possible to make a huge sequence of frames animate at a decent framerate by holding pageDn. You should try getting this to work with animated GIFs.

Man, I really wish I had some screenshots of that old project.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

^^ EDIT-Beaten

davejk posted:

It uses this library, since it's what I'm using at work for some reporting output. Given more time I'd like to develop a version that builds the OOXML, though, since on larger images the library seems to produce invalid output. (This probably isn't a use they had in mind when they wrote it.)

Can you run formulas on another sheet to cause it to animate? That'd be cool

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Scaramouche posted:

Can you run formulas on another sheet to cause it to animate? That'd be cool

The demoscene is way ahead of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ6Q224UPkc

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

drat that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I spent some time this afternoon playing with ANSI control codes. Have some plasma:

The source (Java) is here.

I feel a strong urge to write a game in this style.