Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

mcmagic posted:

I'm about 15 miles south of there in North Brunswick and Malouf Ford in my town has been great. They were very up front with me and it was by far my most painless car buying experience. (Though it hasn't been delivered yet.)

How did they price you? I just emailed a higher up guy at All American and they actually just won't go below MSRP except from Ford incentives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Neight posted:

How did they price you? I just emailed a higher up guy at All American and they actually just won't go below MSRP except from Ford incentives.

The salesmen showed me the dealer price on the order reciept and he gave me the car for 100 less than that pending whatever rebates he can get me when the car comes in. 28k flat for a car that builds at around 30,600 on the ford website.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The dealer wasn't that friendly, but the MSRP deal for a Boss is real. It seems like Bosses that had been ordered as early as December are only now getting unblocked by material availability issues. So now that they're freed up, the waiting time might be lessened. I think I'm gonna try to find at least a closer dealer that can do MSRP, or maybe better.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

The dealer wasn't that friendly, but the MSRP deal for a Boss is real. It seems like Bosses that had been ordered as early as December are only now getting unblocked by material availability issues. So now that they're freed up, the waiting time might be lessened. I think I'm gonna try to find at least a closer dealer that can do MSRP, or maybe better.

I know you're in the greater Boston area. Which dealer did you end up checking out?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

mungtor posted:

I know you're in the greater Boston area. Which dealer did you end up checking out?

And when can you meet up with the Boston area goons so we can check out your car?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Has anyone had the chance to listen to both the Pypes and Ford Racing x-pipe kits for the S197 V6? Youtube videos are not very informative...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

shodanjr_gr posted:

Has anyone had the chance to listen to both the Pypes and Ford Racing x-pipe kits for the S197 V6? Youtube videos are not very informative...

Don't buy Pypes products unless you enjoy spending money on garbage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mungtor posted:

Maybe I'm being crazy, but I'm not gonna say specifically which one just yet. It's in Maine, since none of the local dealers that I've asked will do even MSRP.

I'm not sure I'll get it, but if I do get, I'm sure it'll get shown off and driven at the track (lefty-righty, not straight).

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure it'll get shown off and driven at the track (lefty-righty, not straight).

You monster! :mad:

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
It's really hard for me to compare pipe sounds when they're coming out of my computer speakers. How do you guys feel about Borla exhausts, the ATAK in particular?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

RockSmart posted:

It's really hard for me to compare pipe sounds when they're coming out of my computer speakers. How do you guys feel about Borla exhausts, the ATAK in particular?

I tried to listen to muffler sounds through pc speakers, and it just doesn't work. So I went for looks and reader reviews that show proven better horsepower. Chrome Exhaust tips that stick out a little from the bumper with rolled edges look great. I am not a fan of the exhaust tip with an exhaust tip around it. I think it looks weird.

Borla's are pretty drat good and a lot of people use them. Magnaflow's are also pretty popular. Both Exhaust Companies are like the Brembo Brakes of car communities. You just cant go wrong with them. Pick what you think looks nice and what you can afford.

If you want just pure out loud, get pypes, cherry bomb, glasspack, or other unchambered muffler.

if you are just doing the muffler and not the pipes, get a Flowmaster 40.

If you want rastly sound get an X pipe, if you want deep tone get an H pipe.

I remember reading and I cant prove this, but I think MAC exhausts give some of the best power but there is nothing about them that makes them look great.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Hello goons.

I have a rather newbie question. (I'm basically car retarded)

Just getting my first full time job and saving up a decent bit of money, I finally think I'm ready to purchase my first mustang! I've always wanted one, and the 2012s look dreamy to me. (For reference, its the V6 coupe)

However, my question is in the realm of practicality. Since it would be my only car, would it be simply unpractical to purchase one due to the RWD aspect of it? Midwest winters get nasty, and while I love the car, I don't know if its a good option.

I've only driven a FWD my entire life, and am nervous about spending tons of money only to have a car that doesn't drive in winter. I WOULD be buying snow tires in winter, so please factor that into any advice :)

sleepness fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 13, 2011

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

sleepness posted:

Hello goons.

Just getting my first full time job and saving up a decent bit of money, I finally think I'm ready to purchase my first mustang! I've always wanted one, and the 2012s look dreamy to me. (For reference, its the V6 coupe)

However, my question is in the realm of practicality. Since it would be my only car, would it be simply unpractical to purchase one due to the RWD aspect of it? Midwest winters get nasty, and while I love the car, I don't know if its a good option.

I've only driven a FWD my entire life, and am nervous about spending tons of money only to have a car that doesn't drive in winter. I WOULD be buying snow tires in winter, so please factor that into any advice :)

Avoid driving during blizzards and you'll be fine. You will need snow tires though.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

kalvick posted:

I tried to listen to muffler sounds through pc speakers, and it just doesn't work. So I went for looks and reader reviews that show proven better horsepower. Chrome Exhaust tips that stick out a little from the bumper with rolled edges look great. I am not a fan of the exhaust tip with an exhaust tip around it. I think it looks weird.

Borla's are pretty drat good and a lot of people use them. Magnaflow's are also pretty popular. Both Exhaust Companies are like the Brembo Brakes of car communities. You just cant go wrong with them. Pick what you think looks nice and what you can afford.

If you want just pure out loud, get pypes, cherry bomb, glasspack, or other unchambered muffler.

if you are just doing the muffler and not the pipes, get a Flowmaster 40.

If you want rastly sound get an X pipe, if you want deep tone get an H pipe.

I remember reading and I cant prove this, but I think MAC exhausts give some of the best power but there is nothing about them that makes them look great.

Should be noted that corsa makes the best exhaust though on any vehicle

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

exhaust
Quality wise, Magnaflow, Borla, Bassani, and Stainless Works make the best stuff in the business. Pypes, Mac, and Flowmaster make the worst exhausts possible. OEM type stuff like Roush and the GT500 exhaust are somewhere in the middle.

If you hate drone and want something that is only loud when you want it to be, stick with either the Roush or the GT500 exhausts. If you hate your neighbors and/or ride a harley and believe loud pipes save lives, stick with the Magnaflow competition or Borla ATAK. If you want the cheapest exhaust available and don't give a poo poo if it rusts through inside a year, go with Mac or Pypes. If you live in a trailer and consider Red Lobster fine dining, go with Flowmaster.

sleepness posted:

Mustang in the snow

My buddy daily drove a '95 v6 Mustang in Alaska. Get snow tires and don't drive like a moron and you'll be fine.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sleepness posted:

Snow Mustang

I got to drive my dads v6 auto commuter stang this winter in Maine. I managed to find him some studded snows cheap used through a local car club. In the city with stop and go it was a bit obnoxious, but once I got out to the country where I could let 'er rip the thing was a hoot.

You can winter drive a mustang, but you NEED snow tires. Stay in during big storms.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sleepness posted:

Hello goons.

If you need to get through deep snow, you're hosed, but other than that a Mustang with winter tires drives just fine in the winter. I generally didn't drive mine during the winter, because lovely weather means it's faster to just take the train most of the time, but the few times I did, I didn't encounter any problems.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Quality wise, Magnaflow, Borla, Bassani, and Stainless Works make the best stuff in the business. Pypes, Mac, and Flowmaster make the worst exhausts possible. OEM type stuff like Roush and the GT500 exhaust are somewhere in the middle.

If you hate drone and want something that is only loud when you want it to be, stick with either the Roush or the GT500 exhausts. If you hate your neighbors and/or ride a harley and believe loud pipes save lives, stick with the Magnaflow competition or Borla ATAK. If you want the cheapest exhaust available and don't give a poo poo if it rusts through inside a year, go with Mac or Pypes. If you live in a trailer and consider Red Lobster fine dining, go with Flowmaster.

My buddy daily drove a '95 v6 Mustang in Alaska. Get snow tires and don't drive like a moron and you'll be fine.

I have the GT500 exhaust because I hate drone and I live in the city so rumbling down the driveway 5 feet from my neighbors house would be kind of a dick move. For what it's worth it looks exactly the same as the stock exhaust with some slightly larger tips. It's actually a little more aggressive than what I thought it'd be but it's definitely livable.

IMHO anything louder just draws way too much attention from the police around here and neighbors anyway.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

For all you guys talking about buying. How come you aren't just using truecar? It's showing me right now a '11 GT for 26,835 base. Do truecars deals not hold up if you don't have good credit?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Does the electronics/navigation package let you input navigation destinations via voice while the car is moving? At all?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Wombot posted:

Does the electronics/navigation package let you input navigation destinations via voice while the car is moving? At all?

Yes, though trying to do so with POIs is a royal pain in the rear end. They force you to go based on types of businesses, instead of just letting you tell it the business you want. For example, if you're trying to go to Home Depot, you have to first tell it the city, then the category (Home and Garden is NOT it), then finally you can tell it Home Depot. I'm not sure why you have to go by category at all -- it makes it such a pain in the rear end. Just display the categories next to the possible matches and let me pick afterwards.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

For all you guys talking about buying. How come you aren't just using truecar? It's showing me right now a '11 GT for 26,835 base. Do truecars deals not hold up if you don't have good credit?

I gave it a shot. We'll see if these dealers it found who're closer wanna talk turkey.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Stainless Works

They really do make nice headers at the least. I'm 90% sure the headers my dad has on his C6 are Stainless Works, and they're practically a work of art. If they aren't, then the ones he had on his '01 Z28 were the SW parts instead and were also a work of art :v: Really make some nice power, too.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Slow is Fast posted:

You can winter drive a mustang, but you NEED snow tires. Stay in during big storms.
Eh. I drove a '97 automatic with all-season tires for 13 winters in DC. Not the worst winter weather, but we get some horrible nor'easters sometimes and winter before last had two storms of 2+ feet of snow. Got stuck exactly once in all that time, and that was on the street through my neighborhood because one of my idiot neighbors decided to back out in front of me.

However, I'm from PA so I'm used to driving in poo poo weather.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

optikalus posted:

Yes, though trying to do so with POIs is a royal pain in the rear end. They force you to go based on types of businesses, instead of just letting you tell it the business you want. For example, if you're trying to go to Home Depot, you have to first tell it the city, then the category (Home and Garden is NOT it), then finally you can tell it Home Depot. I'm not sure why you have to go by category at all -- it makes it such a pain in the rear end. Just display the categories next to the possible matches and let me pick afterwards.

Thanks! I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get the electronics package. Right now, it sounds like the nav on my Android phone is easier to use than the one in the Mustang, and since I don't really plan on watching many DVDs in my car, that's all I'd really use it for.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Mr. Norm's Garage is pretty incredible. Just got back from there. I didn't talk to Tim Barth since he was out or something for the day but the amount of awesome stuff there is :psyduck:. They run one hell of an operation.

No idea why but seeing the original Sox & Martin Cuda there was really freaking awesome. I think everyone knows the Sox & Martin cars. Have to admit after seeing what they do I almost thought, "Maybe Mopar is pretty cool..."

Then I realized owning a 2011 Norm's Garage Cuda would cost an arm and a leg.

They're way confident in what they do. I asked a few times if he wanted the spec sheet... the guy was like "Eh, we have your number. Should be fine."

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 14, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

Mr. Norm's Garage is pretty incredible.

Told you, homie.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

sleepness posted:

Hello goons.

Get a set of inexpensive steel wheels with good quality snow tires. First time it snows, baby it to an empty parking lot and screw around to get a feel for how it responds on the snow.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Told you, homie.

Yeah, I'm glad I came here before some Mustang boards sending me to dipstick Illinois to another guy who would hack it up.

I knew the TKO 500 was going to eat poo poo... last tuner was tuning it with it in it. I know very little in terms of transmissions. I mentioned my desire with a 1000+ HP setup to go to automatic (I want to choke on those words but it's the safe / consistent / cheapest way to keep the car running). Thought a PowerGlide would work. Not even a day later they call back saying they look over everything and the car would spit a PowerGlide out and to go Turbo 400.

I'm new to automatic land but pretty drat glad I looked into it. If it's going to cost $8k (after transmission + additional parts and labor/freight) to get a transmission to handle the car I can't imagine what it would have cost to run a manual that wouldn't break.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

VibrioCholera posted:

Have to admit after seeing what they do I almost thought, "Maybe Mopar is pretty cool..."

The one thing Mopar has going for it is the tuning community and history. Ford and Chevy have never come close to the ludicrous things Mopar guys will consider.

A pink car with white interior, and a 440? You want that in auto or stick?......Yeah, yeah we can put a mod top on it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

I mentioned my desire with a 1000+ HP setup to go to automatic (I want to choke on those words but it's the safe / consistent / cheapest way to keep the car running).

Muwahahaha!

quote:

Thought a PowerGlide would work. Not even a day later they call back saying they look over everything and the car would spit a PowerGlide out and to go Turbo 400.

What? A glide can be built to handle more horsepower than you'll ever want to make. The downside to a glide is only having 2 gears, not its power handling potential. Weird that they would tell you that. I'm guessing they just wanted you to not go with a 2 speed tranny in a car that will see street use.

quote:

I'm new to automatic land but pretty drat glad I looked into it. If it's going to cost $8k (after transmission + additional parts and labor/freight) to get a transmission to handle the car I can't imagine what it would have cost to run a manual that wouldn't break.
You must be paying a lot for labor and freight. A 1200hp capable TH400 runs around $2500 and the converter should be around $1500.

Get your transmission from Extreme Automatics and your converter from Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts. Extreme builds a drat fine piece at a great price that will last for hundreds of passes before needing to be refreshed and Lenny is the best converter man in the business, period.

Edit: I didn't want to point this out, but I will. You can get an automatic with a clutch if you want. Think automatic transmission without the converter. They handle the horsepower of an automatic but use a clutch to shift and modulate stall.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 14, 2011

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

VibrioCholera posted:

Yeah, I'm glad I came here before some Mustang boards sending me to dipstick Illinois to another guy who would hack it up.

I knew the TKO 500 was going to eat poo poo... last tuner was tuning it with it in it. I know very little in terms of transmissions. I mentioned my desire with a 1000+ HP setup to go to automatic (I want to choke on those words but it's the safe / consistent / cheapest way to keep the car running). Thought a PowerGlide would work. Not even a day later they call back saying they look over everything and the car would spit a PowerGlide out and to go Turbo 400.

Phil has to be right in that they just want you with a 3 speed for a street car, because no loving way will you make too much power for a 'glide. The TH400 is an amazing transmission (GM did some things right), but the powerglide will handle more power than you will ever dream of making.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I didn't even see that post, Jesus. You need a Saturn V to break a 'glide.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I didn't even see that post, Jesus. You need a Saturn V to break a 'glide.

To be fair, the TH400 will hold up to about a Delta IV Heavy.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I snagged a 5.0 as a rental car last week ($35 more a day than a Grand Marquis? Yes please) last weekend and shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I need one. None of the dealerships around here have a glass roof model, however, and I'm 100% a sunroof kind of guy. Ford really hit it out of the park with the new 5.0. Unwinding that thing all over town was the best part of my trip.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TenementFunster posted:

I snagged a 5.0 as a rental car last week ($35 more a day than a Grand Marquis? Yes please) last weekend and shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I need one. None of the dealerships around here have a glass roof model, however, and I'm 100% a sunroof kind of guy. Ford really hit it out of the park with the new 5.0. Unwinding that thing all over town was the best part of my trip.

And yet my idiot friend who just moved to Houston and is looking for a convertible refuses to consider it based on the fact that it's American (he's American too, to be clear). What will it take for these hammerheads to start looking at Fords again?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

SO jealous. I'll be lucky if hertz has a v6 stang for $200/day this summer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

And yet my idiot friend who just moved to Houston and is looking for a convertible refuses to consider it based on the fact that it's American (he's American too, to be clear). What will it take for these hammerheads to start looking at Fords again?

Why try to convince him? It's not like his prejudices are hurting you any. In fact, you should be trying to convince him to buy something like an Eos or a Smart cabriolet. Let him have the car he deserves.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Powershift posted:

SO jealous. I'll be lucky if hertz has a v6 stang for $200/day this summer.
you should be, as it was pretty loving righteous. i stood on that thing every chance i got. the only problem is i need my own now, and I'm a picky bitch so I'll end up ordering one and that will take months and the 2012s will probably be out by then anyway.

my only issue was with the sync. obviously i was only driving the car for a few days, but I could never get it to play nice with the playlists and random setting on my iphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

TenementFunster posted:

you should be, as it was pretty loving righteous. i stood on that thing every chance i got. the only problem is i need my own now, and I'm a picky bitch so I'll end up ordering one and that will take months and the 2012s will probably be out by then anyway.

my only issue was with the sync. obviously i was only driving the car for a few days, but I could never get it to play nice with the playlists and random setting on my iphone

It really is an amazing machine. I'm stuck on a poo poo assignment for my last year in the Navy, but driving to/from work has become the best part of my day. I'm pretty picky too, but I was able to find one with every option I wanted and only one I didn't (19 inch wheels) without much effort. I never take my Nano out of it, and I'm satisfied but not amazed with the iPod integration. It's "good enough".