Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

Playing right now if anyone wants to join in (GT AudreyHeartburn)

You friended me. I'll be on at around 5pm PST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

So I played multi with a friend for the first time in ages, which was fun. Though we did get attacked by a guy with gold guns in the first area we landed in. It didn't help that I went after him and managed to take him down, which I guess pissed him off because he decided to go after me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally got around to unwrapping this again, and well... are the load times ALWAYS this bad? I'm waiting like 30 seconds between cutscenes or after fast-traveling or starting a mission or whatever. This is on the PS3.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If I were to get this game and the Zombie dlc could I play the Zombie single player campaign first? (Sorry if this is a dumb question)

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Spacebump posted:

If I were to get this game and the Zombie dlc could I play the Zombie single player campaign first? (Sorry if this is a dumb question)
You could, but you wouldn't know who anyone is and most of the plot points would be a complete mystery for you.

tickytack
May 30, 2009

Repent Repent Repent Repent

Ledneh posted:

Finally got around to unwrapping this again, and well... are the load times ALWAYS this bad? I'm waiting like 30 seconds between cutscenes or after fast-traveling or starting a mission or whatever. This is on the PS3.

I played on Xbox and I never had anything nearly that bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Spacebump posted:

Slantedfloors is right. The story wouldn't make that much sense, because in the zombie single player campaign you go around talking to all the people you met in the regular single player campaign. So you wouldn't know anyone, but your character will and will refer to things they've already done. So it's possible, but not advised. It'll make it less fun.

Just play the regular single player campaign first, it's great. That way the Undead Nightmare DLC will be there as something you know you'll still get to play once you finish the game.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The DLC is on sale as of today:

Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare Bundle: 1000pts
Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare pack: 400pts

You can now get Red Dead Redemption for $26 at Amazon and either pay $5 for Undead Nightmare DLC or $12.50 for all 3 DLC. Not bad!

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 29, 2011

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Parker Lewis posted:

The DLC is on sale as of today:

Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare Bundle: 1000pts
Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare pack: 400pts

You can now get Red Dead Redemption for $26 at Amazon and either pay $5 for Undead Nightmare DLC or $12.50 for all 3 DLC. Not bad!

drat, it's not on sale for the PS3. :(

low8284
May 20, 2003
Quick question if anyone could help. So I used to have Red Dead Redemption, beat it, and stopping playing it and ended up trading it in.

Now if I buy the Undead Collection that's on the xbox live sale right now, the one that includes everything that would be on the disc, I'm under the impression that I can just play it off my hard drive without the disc from the original. Is this true? And what about multiplayer?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The one that's in the Xbox LIVE Marketplace requires the original Red Dead Redemption disc.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I can't seem to get Fightin' Around the World to trigger, no matter how many bartenders I kick unconscious behind their countertops. Same thing goes for What About Hand Grenades, I've scored dozens of ringers but it refuses to unlock. I haven't used any cheats in my savegame and other achievements have been unlocking fine.

Is there anything I can do?

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

You guys wanna see something loving weird in freeroam?

- Go to the railroad bridge at Tanner's Span
- Stand in the middle of the bridge over the river
- Face north
- Toss a tomahawk into the river

........?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

You wanna tell us what it does?

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Kly posted:

You wanna tell us what it does?

Fine.

The tomahawk bounces off of the water, with enough force that if you angle it right, it bounces right back up to you and past you. It can't hit you, but it bounces with more force, speed, and distance than when it was thrown to begin with.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

CitrusFrog posted:

I can't seem to get Fightin' Around the World to trigger, no matter how many bartenders I kick unconscious behind their countertops. Same thing goes for What About Hand Grenades, I've scored dozens of ringers but it refuses to unlock. I haven't used any cheats in my savegame and other achievements have been unlocking fine.

Is there anything I can do?

Beat the poo poo out of bar patrons? Make sure you knock them out in the saloon, too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Wow, this game is great. Is there any more planned DLC? (Just starting the Undead Nightmare and really enjoying it.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Man, I really wish there was some kinda dueling tournament somewhere. Plainview would be a great place considering there's not much of anything going on :(

And speaking of Undead Nightmare, it's too bad the headshot effects in the regular single player aren't as great as they are in UN :gibs: It's also too bad the weather doesn't have a random chance to get all weird and spooky and you can't have War in the normal story :argh:

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
I just beat this awesome game and am downloading UN as i post this. Aside from the left over missions and The graves, is there anything new left to do in the game as jack?

Also, do any of the other DLC add anything worthwhile to the SP other than UN? I dont care for the game online.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Goddamn Hippy posted:

I just beat this awesome game and am downloading UN as i post this. Aside from the left over missions and The graves, is there anything new left to do in the game as jack?

Also, do any of the other DLC add anything worthwhile to the SP other than UN? I dont care for the game online.

There is one more very important stranger mission.

Also, if, like me, you didnt do the 'I Know You' stranger mission earlier on, look that up on youtube, it adds a bit of metaphysical weight to the end of the game.

Red Dead Redemption is unironically one of the most beautiful games I've ever played, in terms of fidelity and with regard to the story.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When do you unlock the buffalo mount in multiplayer? I've always wanted to get that mount but never got around to doing it. I think I am going to finally do this as im looking for a reason to play RDR again and the multiplayer is something ive never really touched on much.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

I said come in! posted:

When do you unlock the buffalo mount in multiplayer? I've always wanted to get that mount but never got around to doing it. I think I am going to finally do this as im looking for a reason to play RDR again and the multiplayer is something ive never really touched on much.

Grind your way to Level 50... twice. http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Buffalo (see the trivia section near the bottom.)

I did Level 50 once, passed into legend for the achievement, and can't be hosed to do it again. I keep missing all the double XP events because I'm not paying enough attention.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Awww there is no way im grinding that much even for a mount as awesome as a buffalo. I find the level grind hard enough as is.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

I said come in! posted:

Awww there is no way im grinding that much even for a mount as awesome as a buffalo. I find the level grind hard enough as is.

The good news is you can usually just kill people who have them and take their mounts. Every time I see a zonkey, I headshot the doofus who ground it out and ride off into the sunset chuckling. :clint:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Peas and Rice posted:

I did Level 50 once, passed into legend for the achievement, and can't be hosed to do it again. I keep missing all the double XP events because I'm not paying enough attention.
That's what I did because it listed a trophy for going legendary in the trophy list. After I did it I got no trophy, then realized that trophy was part of the first tomahawk dlc that I didn't bother getting anyway. Lesson learned, read the fine print!

On an unrelated matter, people are starting to speculate about GTA5. I was just wondering, because I remember there being a lot of people who previously didn't care for the GTA series but loved RDR, are there many people who maybe never cared either way but after playing RDR are looking forward to GTA5? I guess that also goes for L.A. Noir.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

davebo posted:

On an unrelated matter, people are starting to speculate about GTA5. I was just wondering, because I remember there being a lot of people who previously didn't care for the GTA series but loved RDR, are there many people who maybe never cared either way but after playing RDR are looking forward to GTA5? I guess that also goes for L.A. Noir.

I'm actually surprised the LA Noire thread is so small with only about a month before the game's due to launch. I've been watching LA Noire since it was first announced (RDR wasn't even on my radar until about this time last year) and it has the potential to be as good as or better than RDR.

And if the Bully 2 rumors are true then there's yet another contender, the first Bully was my favorite Rockstar game before I played RDR.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jesus gently caress, each time I beat this game I'm blown away over how drat good it is.

And each time I beat it Ross' brother watches that piece of poo poo die like a dog

:clint:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Sweet, pre-order DLC is available now. Got myself the warhorse and the deadly assassin outfit. Passed on the golden guns because they look dumb.

Finishing up my second 100% playthrough now, took a break since December, and drat I love coming back to this game. After that I'll need to head to the Undead Nightmare.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Sweet, pre-order DLC is available now. Got myself the warhorse and the deadly assassin outfit. Passed on the golden guns because they look dumb.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know the pre-order bonuses were released. I guess it'll give me something to dick around with after work tomorrow.

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.
So I just started replaying the story mode again since I have a week until Mortal Kombat gets here, and I realized one of the biggest draws of RDR that keeps me coming back.

The game world just seems so alive and genuine. There is a weight and sincerity to it all. As I stood on the MacFarlane ranch, looking at their nice wooden fence and the burgeoning ranch house, I felt like I was back on my grandpa's farm. The wind, the grassy smell, and the rough feeling of the unfinished wood, cracked and warm with the beating sun's energy.

This game rules. I can't wait for a sequel (or prequel, either way).

Throwing my hope in for Reconstruction Era. A lot of themes and societal struggles relating to the Civil War could be explored without having to construct an actual war epic. Wayward Confederates with nowhere to go, Carpetbaggers from the North risking their lives on "foreign soil" within their own country and, if they felt like tackling it, the birth of the Ku Klux Klan. There is a lot of rich, violent, dark history to draw on in that era.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

doctor 7 posted:

Finishing up my second 100% playthrough now, took a break since December, and drat I love coming back to this game. After that I'll need to head to the Undead Nightmare.
Perfect timing for the warhorse to be released; I just started an rear end in a top hat playthrough and gently caress that dark horse, what a piece of poo poo it is. I know you can buy a deed for another horse but still, what a crappy reward.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

War Pig posted:

Throwing my hope in for Reconstruction Era. A lot of themes and societal struggles relating to the Civil War could be explored without having to construct an actual war epic. Wayward Confederates with nowhere to go, Carpetbaggers from the North risking their lives on "foreign soil" within their own country and, if they felt like tackling it, the birth of the Ku Klux Klan. There is a lot of rich, violent, dark history to draw on in that era.

I'm hoping for something more urban, late 19th century. A prequel of Marsden's earlier days with the gangs. He's nearly 40 in RDR after all.

lucasw99
Apr 5, 2011

For some weird mind-loving reason I can't get into the game. I loved the first one and I love my gtas and fallouts.

Its depressing but I just turn off the game after about 30 minutes and I just can't fathom why.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

lucasw99 posted:

For some weird mind-loving reason I can't get into the game. I loved the first one and I love my gtas and fallouts.

Its depressing but I just turn off the game after about 30 minutes and I just can't fathom why.

Are you just not into westerns?

The atmosphere is probably the best of any game I've ever played, but I love westerns.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Sco Dylan posted:

Are you just not into westerns?

The atmosphere is probably the best of any game I've ever played, but I love westerns.

Me too, I've been watching a ton lately. It's Bandolero now, with Jimmy Stewart, James Dean and Raquel Welch.

What does wear me a bit thin about the game is the repetitiveness in the plot.

"You left me to die after I'd been shot!"
"You shot me then left me to die!"
"You shot me! and then you left me to die!"
etc.

"OK after THIS mission you better tell me where he is!"
"You're gonna tell me where to find him after this mission!"
"I'm not falling for your poo poo again, THIS time you better tell me where he is!"
and so on.

I feel like it would almost be an even better game if they axed the plot completely and added more random event encounters instead.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's a slog in places, but good god, everything comes together in the end. It's fantastic.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I think that's what people were hoping for though, enough random encounters so that when someone went back to the main mission they weren't asking too much about "So why the gently caress am I here again?"

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Me too, I've been watching a ton lately. It's Bandolero now, with Jimmy Stewart, James Dean and Raquel Welch.

What does wear me a bit thin about the game is the repetitiveness in the plot.

"You left me to die after I'd been shot!"
"You shot me then left me to die!"
"You shot me! and then you left me to die!"
etc.

"OK after THIS mission you better tell me where he is!"
"You're gonna tell me where to find him after this mission!"
"I'm not falling for your poo poo again, THIS time you better tell me where he is!"
and so on.

I feel like it would almost be an even better game if they axed the plot completely and added more random event encounters instead.
Can you really complain about this if you liked GTA IV?

Either way I can't deny that some of the story dialog elements get really repetitive. Marston keeps asking Ross "if he has a choice" and Ross replies "no" in a very menacing fashion. This happens numerous times and it just reaks of poor dialog due to repetition. The "you left me to die" between Marston and Dutch does occur repeatedly but not as bad as Ross and Marston.

However, it really manages to capture the early FBI days. They were tremendously undisciplined group, some were good and some were very bad but the general goal was to make Hoover look good, by any means necessary. This continued for decades with legally-gray (aka. illegal) wiretapping among other things.

Really RDR has a superb general story barring one tremendous flaw:
SERIOUS SPOILERS HERE there is no reason for Ross to let Marston and his family go only to come back later and try and murder them. He should have just killed them all, outright, when Dutch was killed. You're never given a reason other than Dutch saying "they'll find a new monster" so you basically have to make up, on your own, why they decided to come back which is just lovely storytelling.

But repetition and that general story aside RDR has superb atmosphere, plenty of nods to excellent western films, much improved gun combat and is just a God drat riot.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 13, 2011

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

doctor 7 posted:

Really RDR has a superb general story barring one tremendous flaw:
SERIOUS SPOILERS HERE there is no reason for Ross to let Marston and his family go only to come back later and try and murder them. He should have just killed them all, outright, when Dutch was killed. You're never given a reason other than Dutch saying "they'll find a new monster" so you basically have to make up, on your own, why they decided to come back which is just lovely storytelling.

I saw this as Ross going back to Washington to get "official" permission to take Marsten out. Even though he's corrupt as hell, Ross still answers to superiors. Its probably just a formality, but I doubt Ross could/would just commit murder without it being sanctioned in some capacity.

Basically he had to go back to headquarters to get a signature on a piece of paper that said he could go kill Marsten. He was covering his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I saw this as Ross going back to Washington to get "official" permission to take Marsten out. Even though he's corrupt as hell, Ross still answers to superiors. Its probably just a formality, but I doubt Ross could/would just commit murder without it being sanctioned in some capacity.

Basically he had to go back to headquarters to get a signature on a piece of paper that said he could go kill Marsten. He was covering his rear end.

This is why the soldiers talk about Nate Johns on the ride up to Dutch's hideout if you're riding near them. They talk about how he wants to totally clean up the territories to strengthen his chances at an election. I'm sure Ross knew all along that John would be the last to go but probably had to wait for Nate Johns or whoever he got the go ahead from before it happened. e: You get the sense that John knows it too, he keeps repeating that "it's all over" but he isn't surprised at all when the Army shows up and never once questions it.

I really love that one of the biggest characters in the story is never actually seen. It gives the story some significant weight.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 13, 2011

• Locked thread