Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

2508084 posted:

poo poo like that happens to everyone. You overlooked something, but since you double checked ahead of time, it sounds like you have enough time to get it in (even if its just under the buzzer).

It's actually about 4 weeks late, he's just being very lenient because he likes me and he's late grading them anyway. I actually wasn't even checking for that particular assignment, like I wasn't thinking "hey was that mandatory? I should check." I was checking something entirely different and just noticed it as I was reading the grade breakdown.

This kind of stuff actually happens to me all the time, forgetting poo poo that is on the syllabus and what not. I had an online class once that I forgot about entirely almost until the withdrawal date. If I don't have an active reminder to do something that is not part of a routine, I will almost certainly forget to do it.

That old saying "you'd forget your head if it wasn't screwed on" is the definition of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

signalnoise posted:

This kind of stuff actually happens to me all the time, forgetting poo poo that is on the syllabus and what not. I had an online class once that I forgot about entirely almost until the withdrawal date. If I don't have an active reminder to do something that is not part of a routine, I will almost certainly forget to do it.
This is me too. I put my online class in my bookmark bar so I have "PSYCH CLASS" staring at me every time I open my browser. I check it compulsively now to make sure I haven't missed anything. As far as assignments, I print out a little blank calendar covering that semesters months, grab all of my syllabuses (syllabi?) and write in every assignment due date and quiz and tape it to the front of my binder.

quote:

That old saying "you'd forget your head if it wasn't screwed on" is the definition of me.
This is all of us dude. I lost my bright blue, five pound, has-all-my-homework-in-it binder this morning. I left it on the table in Subway when I left to go to work. :smith::hf::smith:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hi,

I just got diagnosed with ADD while getting treatment for anxiety (I am 27). This was done using campus facilities. Sadly due to douche bags loving it up they cannot prescribe effective drugs without a backing comprehensive test. These tests are 500 bux at the cheapest. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and are aware of cheaper alternatives?

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Goodpancakes posted:

Hi,

I just got diagnosed with ADD while getting treatment for anxiety (I am 27). This was done using campus facilities. Sadly due to douche bags loving it up they cannot prescribe effective drugs without a backing comprehensive test. These tests are 500 bux at the cheapest. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and are aware of cheaper alternatives?

I'd say find a doctor who has dealt with ADD and can work with you on being poor. Things like calling in for a script and then going to pick it up later instead of paying for a doctor's visit every time really save a lot of money. You will probably still have to go once every 3 months, but 1 office visit is cheaper than 3 and 4 is a lot cheaper than 12 through a year.

Dolemite posted:

Quoting myself because man, I think not chowing down on oranges an hour or two after taking my adderall seemed to help today!

Granted, I know a big help was that Lil Baby slept great and so did I. But on top of that, I cut out the oranges. I noticed that the adderall was effective all day. I'm going to try switching to apples instead as my day time snack and see how the orange free diet goes.

I'm glad this thread exists! I would've never figured out that a healthy fruit is something that needed to be tossed from my diet!

Awesome. Now cut out the exercise and start smoking! :P And that'll be $500.

Wartime Consigliere fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 13, 2011

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

Hi,

Get some good books on coping strategies and start building up routines/accountability traps for yourself if you cannot get access to services or medications. I am in a similar position and have to wait until I either marry for health insurance (student coverage covers no prescriptions, bare bones emergency coverage, criminally bad really) or graduate and find a job that will get me speedy insurance with pre-existing conditions. :toot: Find a local social worker to see if they can hook you up with low-cost services or any social safety net programs you might have access to based on income.

My university's clinical psychology program is the cheapest testing facility in the region, for learning disabilities/developmental delays, and does not take student health insurance to cover the $500-$700 cost of testing batteries (think you can break $1k in costs if you need to have ADHD screening AND learning disability assessments.) They also require EKGs (really loving expensive, not covered under student health insurance) before filling any stimulant script should you get one from a clinician outside of the university system. Don't want all those kids getting study aides to drop dead with exploded hearts.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Goodpancakes posted:

Hi,

I am in exactly the same situation, and so far the only possible option I have found (and haven't actually tried yet) is to try to see if you can get your health insurance to cover it as a doctor visit. I'm gonna give that a shot, but I have already set aside the 500 bucks. It will be 500 bucks well spent if whatever help I get out of it is actually worth something.

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

Good thread. While I can't contribute in a meaningful way as the OP intended there were some interesting issues /perceptions identified that will help me in dealing with my own 16 year old that is diagnosed with ADD. He is currently on 50mg Concerta but quite honestly I just don't see a change from when he's on to when he's not.

Outbursts, impulsiveness, not doing homework - multiple items mentioned in this thread I see daily. I started to get into the mindset of "it isn't ADD, he's just lazy or ill-mannered" but having read what most of you wrote, it reminded me that isn't the case. Thanks.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Square Pair posted:

Outbursts, impulsiveness, not doing homework - multiple items mentioned in this thread I see daily. I started to get into the mindset of "it isn't ADD, he's just lazy or ill-mannered" but having read what most of you wrote, it reminded me that isn't the case. Thanks.

As someone who was raised by a father who showed signs of having adhd, like failing out of colleges and unable to get his poo poo together until a family was dependent on him, and a mother with undiagnosed adhd/major personality disorder...and a sister who was the same...

Congrats of not falling into that trap. It's really easy to believe that someone is acting the way they do because they choose too, but it's not always that way.

Homework was a really big issue for me because my parents never taught me concrete study habits, and then enforced them. Do you have a quiet, secluded room with no distractions that they can do homework in with a timer? I was always told to do it in my room or at the living room table, but when you have a computer a noisy tv nearby it isn't so easy. The best setup I saw was a friend who had a desk and chair with nothing else nearby and was told that when they got home they had to do all their homework before anything for fun. That way he'd do his homework at school on his free period so he could hang out with friends after school.

For the medication, I only got sweaty and insomnia when I was on concerta 40mg. Maybe you could ask the doc to try switching him to another and see if that helps more. My husband can tell me when exactly he can see a difference or none, and when it's too much or too little by my speech/attitude/motivation level.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Remembered I had this bookmarked, and though I haven't used it I figured it might be useful to somebody: http://ohdontforget.com/

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Aculard posted:

Do you have a quiet, secluded room with no distractions that they can do homework in with a timer? I was always told to do it in my room or at the living room table, but when you have a computer a noisy tv nearby it isn't so easy. The best setup I saw was a friend who had a desk and chair with nothing else nearby and was told that when they got home they had to do all their homework before anything for fun. That way he'd do his homework at school on his free period so he could hang out with friends after school.

My parents did this, and while I at first resisted in high school, I also eventually just started doing my hw during my free periods. Even in college, I would stay in the library during breaks in class and just power through all my hw so that when I went home and instantly started wasting time on my computer/reading for pleasure/going on a bike ride, I was already done with all my work. The point to doing it in the library was the same as having a room w/just a chair and a desk - there's absolutely no distractions, so I have no reason to do anything but my work. Also I put my cell phone on silent and leave it in a pocket of my bag so that it doesn't distract.

It's so hard for people WITH ADHD to understand, let alone people without it that just have to deal with us - It's not that we don't want to do something or are lazy, it's just that everything that pops into our heads seems equally important to our minds. If we put ourselves in a situation with very few distractions, then very few things will pop into our minds.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 15, 2011

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

See, I can't take libraries, not to study in. The silence means that every little rustle of paper seems even louder and drives me even more insane. When I wanted to study, I'd go to a loud noisy truck stop and just study for hours. Just as long as I don't know anyone, going somewhere loud and noisy is still the most comforting thing I can do when I need some mental peace and quiet.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Effexxor posted:

See, I can't take libraries, not to study in. The silence means that every little rustle of paper seems even louder and drives me even more insane. When I wanted to study, I'd go to a loud noisy truck stop and just study for hours. Just as long as I don't know anyone, going somewhere loud and noisy is still the most comforting thing I can do when I need some mental peace and quiet.

I find that for me, it really depends on the subject I'm studying, and the type of studying I'm doing.

If it's something that I have to read and concentrate on the reading, it needs to be silent, or at least white noise. Because otherwise music and the like ends up being distracting. I found this most of the time with literature, history and my film classes.

However, if it's something where I'm doing a lot of problem solving, such as math, I find that having music or something else in the background helps, and is even soothing. I'm hitting this now as I'm doing a fair bit of self study of math through http://www.khanacademy.org/

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Qu Appelle posted:

I find that for me, it really depends on the subject I'm studying, and the type of studying I'm doing.

If it's something that I have to read and concentrate on the reading, it needs to be silent, or at least white noise. Because otherwise music and the like ends up being distracting. I found this most of the time with literature, history and my film classes.

However, if it's something where I'm doing a lot of problem solving, such as math, I find that having music or something else in the background helps, and is even soothing. I'm hitting this now as I'm doing a fair bit of self study of math through http://www.khanacademy.org/

I just failed a math test :negative: For math, I have to have quiet, I have to be able to talk to myself and I have to be able to pace. And I need my white board.

Every other subject, nothing matters. It can be loud or quiet or whatever. Although I do like pacing when I study.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I've found that having a nice very chilled out ambient sort of Techno helps. I just started using shoutcast on winamp. I search for an ambient station and get something relaxed without lyrics or really driving beats.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
I was diagnosed with ADD when I was younger but because my parents are hippies they refused any of the medication available.

That being said, I've done pretty well for myself. About to complete University and I have the highest GPA in my program. I find it hard to study but I force myself to keep my head down and do it or just study in small bursts. It's usually a battle to stay focused on things, but I've become pretty disciplined in the last few years.

That being said last year I tried some friends Dexedrine last year and it was fantastic. She gave me enough for two days of studying during exam season. I was able to study for long periods of time no problem, was much more focused when I was studying and seemed to have equal or better retention of content. It was weird, even my writing got neater. I didn't experience any side effect, no loss of appetite or sleep disturbance.

Is this any indication that I may actually have ADD? I usually just wrote my original diagnoses off as "well everyone in the early 90's was diagnosed with ADD". Perhaps not though? I can only imagine how much better my academics would be had I had access to these drugs throughout my career (especially in high school).

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Boss posted:

Is this any indication that I may actually have ADD?

Not really, that's the reaction pretty much anyone gets when taking stimulants. The only way to diagnose ADHD is with an in-depth test with a qualified therapist or psychiatrist (or a family physician with sufficient experience with ADHD).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 18, 2012

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
On the subject of getting to sleep:

There's something about turn-based strategy games that makes them an amazingly effective sleep aid. It's usually a really bad idea for me to start playing a video game late in the evening, since I'll lose track of time and end up playing until 2:00 in the morning. But, if I find myself lying awake at night, I can grab my DS, play Advance Wars or Final Fantasy Tactics for twenty minutes, and end up sleeping like a stone.

I have no idea how or why it works (I know it has nothing to do with boredom, since I love strategy games), but I'm glad that it does. Without that little trick, I probably wouldn't have lived through college. I did end up having to explain to my wife why I had over 200 hours logged on AW: Dual Strike, though :ninja:

e: come to think of it, it probably has something to do with the way the game requires me to slow down, examine the situation, and think things through before committing to a strategy. It holds my focus because it's fun, and it drowns out the constant mental static by providing a logical challenge to occupy my thoughts.

DRP Solved! posted:

Not really, that's the reaction pretty much anyone gets when taking stimulants. The only way to diagnose ADHD is with an in-depth test with a qualified therapist or psychiatrist (or a family physician with sufficient experience with ADHD).

I'd like to play the devil's advocate and point out that, if Boss was diagnosed with ADD while he was young, it's not terribly unlikely that he might still suffer from it. I agree that it would still make sense to undergo testing, but in my case the doctor just looked at my medical records, nodded, wrote a prescription, and told me to let him know how well it was working.

That said, Boss, don't start getting into medications unless you need them. I don't take Concerta because it makes things easier; I take Concerta because I simply cannot exist as a functioning human being without it. ADD medication is loving expensive and comes with lots of lovely side effects. If I could plan for a higher education, hold down a job, and work on a little hobby business from home at the same time without literally taking meth all day erryday, I would.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 18, 2011

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Hamburglar posted:

I noticed since my ADHD is now "cured" (basically taking Stratera), I no longer need a TV to be on to fall asleep. I mean my sleeping was miserable with ADHD but I used to have the most hosed up rules:

TV show must be one I have essentially memorized, but not enough that I won't enjoy it (meaning I couldn't have watched it in the past month or so)

It must be a comedy

30 minutes or less

Typically must be animated (two exceptions: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Married With Children)

Cannot be a music-oriented episode (Homerpalooza episode of The Simpsons is a no-no)

...but now?

Watch 3 minutes of whatever the hell I want and turn the TV off when I'm tired :unsmith:

This is my ruleset, only swap Married with Children with Arrested Development.

Other people do this? :psyduck:

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Hamburglar posted:

I noticed since my ADHD is now "cured" (basically taking Stratera), I no longer need a TV to be on to fall asleep. I mean my sleeping was miserable with ADHD but I used to have the most hosed up rules:

TV show must be one I have essentially memorized, but not enough that I won't enjoy it (meaning I couldn't have watched it in the past month or so)

It must be a comedy

30 minutes or less

Typically must be animated (two exceptions: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Married With Children)

Cannot be a music-oriented episode (Homerpalooza episode of The Simpsons is a no-no)

...but now?

Watch 3 minutes of whatever the hell I want and turn the TV off when I'm tired :unsmith:

Holy crap I did this with Purple Rain for the longest time. I couldn't fall asleep unless I watched it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Futurama for me. Though lately I've been doing Hulu with American Dad and Family Guy

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
The movie Maverick from the 90s. I'm out like a light in 20 minutes flat

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Braveheart or Batman Begins.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm a guy who likes to read but who is miserably bad at it. I got a library full of really interesting books that I can never get into. I can't read more than a paragraph or two without getting stressed.

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

I paid money to type stuff here.
I have a question about Ritalin and if anyone has had a similar experience/advice:

I'm just recently diagnosed, and my doctor and I decided to give Ritalin a shot first since it is super cheap at WalMart and my insurance doesn't believe adults can have ADHD.

I started it on Friday at 5mg, once in the morning. My doctor likes to start with a really low dose first just to make sure there are no bad reactions, but she told me to play with the dosing once I knew it wasn't going to affect me in a negative way and see if it worked. I didn't notice any effect Friday.

I took 5mg twice, about 3 hours apart on Saturday. Still nothing, but noticed I had a headache and nausea later in the day which lasted all through Sunday. I took none on Sunday. Monday, two 5mg doses again, which made me really sleepy at work all day followed by the headache, dizziness, and nausea at the end of the day...

This morning, I thought I'd try 10mg at once. I took it about 8:45AM. It's now 11:00AM and I'm starting to get a headache, but still didn't really seem to notice any difference.

So... is this just not the right drug for me? Is that sick feeling at the end of the day a common thing? Should it be taking a few days for the drug to start affecting me like an antidepressant, or should I have noticed something shortly after taking the first dose? Did anyone have a similar initial experience and find better results with a different dosage or different drug altogether?

I've looked through the thread a bit trying to find answers but they are sort of scattered about... and you know... reading is hard and all.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

On the Ritalin, are you eating and drinking enough? How has your appetite been? Are you staying away from caffeinated food and drinks?

I'll get nauseous on the Dex if I don't eat enough.

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

On the Ritalin, are you eating and drinking enough? How has your appetite been? Are you staying away from caffeinated food and drinks?

I'll get nauseous on the Dex if I don't eat enough.

It hasn't really affected my appetite at all - I've still been eating regular meals.

As for caffeine, on Sunday I had a couple Diet Cokes and found myself feeling miserable for the rest of the day, but I hadn't taken any pills that day. Regardless, I haven't touched caffeine since.

Agedashi Tofu fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 19, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Okay, thanks to this thread I've found that when I have a bad reaction to my :catdrugs: if I drink some orange juice or eat an orange- I have less of a bad day. Usually mine come from stacking caffeine accidentally- whether its having the green tea consolidated into one box and grabbing one with caffeine or just ordering a coke at a drive through. The Vitamin C thing works for the nausea, dizziness thing.

Spread your eating across the day, add in healthy snacks like nuts and fruit. One thing I've found when I feel as you describe is that I forget to eat for long periods even though I eat the same amount. I just forget to eat until my wife is home and I eat then, and then late in the evening. Consistently having food is a good way to mitigate that feeling.

Otherwise I don't think that the Ritalin is for you. I had very intense bouts of what you're going through on Vyvanse, but I do perfectly well on Concerta. I'm doing meh okay, but having the sleepy not much is difference until I force myself to concentrate thing on Adderal XR, ugh nausea dizziness if I don't eat regularly thing to boot. So try something else if it doesn't get better, ask how to dispose of that kind of drug if you go in before the prescription is due. (The pharmacist will say flush it, or flush it with charcoal/coffee grinds).

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

Okay, thanks to this thread I've found that when I have a bad reaction to my :catdrugs: if I drink some orange juice or eat an orange- I have less of a bad day. Usually mine come from stacking caffeine accidentally- whether its having the green tea consolidated into one box and grabbing one with caffeine or just ordering a coke at a drive through. The Vitamin C thing works for the nausea, dizziness thing.

Spread your eating across the day, add in healthy snacks like nuts and fruit. One thing I've found when I feel as you describe is that I forget to eat for long periods even though I eat the same amount. I just forget to eat until my wife is home and I eat then, and then late in the evening. Consistently having food is a good way to mitigate that feeling.

Otherwise I don't think that the Ritalin is for you. I had very intense bouts of what you're going through on Vyvanse, but I do perfectly well on Concerta. I'm doing meh okay, but having the sleepy not much is difference until I force myself to concentrate thing on Adderal XR, ugh nausea dizziness if I don't eat regularly thing to boot. So try something else if it doesn't get better, ask how to dispose of that kind of drug if you go in before the prescription is due. (The pharmacist will say flush it, or flush it with charcoal/coffee grinds).

Ahh, no! No good pharmacist in their right mind would tell you to flush the drugs! If you need to get rid of drugs, just bring them to the pharmacy and they'll dispose of them appropriately.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

(The pharmacist will say flush it, or flush it with charcoal/coffee grinds).

I'd call the pharmacist before disposing of the drugs, to see what they recommend. Flushing and/or dumping in the garbage is no longer recommended, due to environmental concerns.

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

When I got home from work last night I had remembered seeing something about citrus in this thread, so I grabbed an orange and sure enough I started to feel a bit better shortly after - so that's good to know.

And I was definitely planning on taking the old pills to either my doctor or the pharmacy if I got switched. I already feel awkward about getting controlled meds and am so worried that even asking about them is going to label me a drug seeker when really I just want help... which is the reason I asked in this thread first rather than just calling the doc and asking if I could try something else...

I thought I would be relieved once I got a diagnosis, but it seems to be a bit more stressful now...

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Agedashi Tofu posted:

I already feel awkward about getting controlled meds and am so worried that even asking about them is going to label me a drug seeker when really I just want help... which is the reason I asked in this thread first rather than just calling the doc and asking if I could try something else...

I thought I would be relieved once I got a diagnosis, but it seems to be a bit more stressful now...

There's no reason to feel awkward about taking a controlled substance that was prescribed to you. A doctor that spent thousands and thousands of dollars on several years of education thought you should take it.

Maybe it's more of a social anxiety as far as asking the pharmacist about the meds. I still have problems with that type of stuff. I have more motivation to do it but still the anxiety about the asking. But it's better. Now when I do ask I can explain what I want or need much more clearly.

Most pharmacists are generally helpful when you ask med questions. No one is going to fault you for asking about something you're putting in your body. You won't be labeled a drug seeker just for asking about your meds you are taking. And with these or really any kind of meds you might have to switch to find something that works for you.

TheBigBad posted:

One thing I've found when I feel as you describe is that I forget to eat for long periods even though I eat the same amount. I just forget to eat until my wife is home and I eat then, and then late in the evening. Consistently having food is a good way to mitigate that feeling.

I do this exact same thing. I try to eat throughout the day but generally I cannot eat for an hour or 2 after I get up and I need my Adderall before then. I have always skipped breakfast and eaten dinner later say 8pm or midnight sometimes. What works best though is if I can eat a bowl of cereal in the morning when I get up. I only do this 1-2 times a week but it's progress from never. I'd like to get to always doing it but I wake up with an aversion to food.

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm a guy who likes to read but who is miserably bad at it. I got a library full of really interesting books that I can never get into. I can't read more than a paragraph or two without getting stressed.

This is something that Adderall has helped me with tremendously. I used to read about 5 books at the same time over the course of a year or forever. I just finished a book last night that was the only one I am reading. I have to read in a quiet area though. The TV will be too distracting if it's on at the same time and it will feel like I never read anything when I pick up the book again. I feel like I could re-read a lot of my books and pick up on so many more details.

The wife and I have been doing a huge spring cleaning thing around the house and getting rid of all our junk we don't need but we've kept for years. It's easier to seperate the stuff I need or want from the junk now. In the bathroom and bedroom alone I cleared out 2 stuff garbage bags of trash and 1 of old clothes for Goodwill. My wife already went through hers. Got rid of I think 5-6.

We did the garage last week when it was nice and warm outside. Now it's cold and rainy. There is half a garage full of huge garbage bags that I am waiting to take down until the city has a spring cleaning day (week after easter, there's a whole schedule of these periodically) and so instead of costing me $45 for 9 cubic yards of garbage pickup it will be free.

Getting rid of all this clutter is going to make our lives easier.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
After going through literally every other med, stimulant and non, my psych wrote me a script for desoxyn. None of the big chain pharmacies in my town carried it, but I finally found a small place that could order the generic for me. It feels sort of weird to have a scary looking black bottle with METHAMPHETAMINE written on it sitting around the house.
Despite the hassle, so far I'm finding it worth it. Very very mild physical side effects, and a more subtle therapeutic effect than all the other stimulant meds. No annoying hyperfocus either.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

I'd call the pharmacist before disposing of the drugs, to see what they recommend. Flushing and/or dumping in the garbage is no longer recommended, due to environmental concerns.

She said it was stupid, but because its a Schedule II that's the (air quote) recommended method of disposal. I brought it in anyway cuz of an NPR article of how prozac is so prevalent in the delta of the Mississippi that its hosed with some shrimp's ability to mate.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

After going through literally every other med, stimulant and non, my psych wrote me a script for desoxyn. None of the big chain pharmacies in my town carried it, but I finally found a small place that could order the generic for me. It feels sort of weird to have a scary looking black bottle with METHAMPHETAMINE written on it sitting around the house.
Despite the hassle, so far I'm finding it worth it. Very very mild physical side effects, and a more subtle therapeutic effect than all the other stimulant meds. No annoying hyperfocus either.

Nice! Pretty great how it helps your adhd and enables you to focus without the usual stimulant GO GO MUST WORK hyperfocus. And what's more, almost no crash and I can sleep at night!

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Boss posted:

Is this any indication that I may actually have ADD?

Nope, not really. Everyone does better with stimulants. The difference with people who have ADD is they need the stimulants just to get to a normal level of activity/attentiveness/etc.

SignalNoise posted:

The old saying, "you'd lose your head if it wasn't screwed on," that's me

The last time I moved, right before getting diagnosed, I lost my keys within two days of getting them, right after hearing a long lecture about how much money it would cost to change the locks. Then I lost the new keys again, a couple of weeks later.

In the span of a year, I probably lost my keys something like six or seven times.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

marsattacks posted:

The last time I moved, right before getting diagnosed, I lost my keys within two days of getting them, right after hearing a long lecture about how much money it would cost to change the locks. Then I lost the new keys again, a couple of weeks later.

In the span of a year, I probably lost my keys something like six or seven times.

I attach my keys to my belt using a coil lanyard, like you see security guards do. I have never misplaced my keys since.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Baron Bifford posted:

I attach my keys to my belt using a coil lanyard, like you see security guards do. I have never misplaced my keys since.
My strategy is to ALWAYS keep my keys, wallet, and phone together in one of just a few select places and nowhere else. They're either in my pockets, or on a specific shelf spot, and because of this, I never lose them (unless they're already in my pockets and I forgot I put them there 2 seconds prior :v: ).

I haven't visited this thread in a while, but I just wanted to stop in and share my current situation for anybody who may feel like they're in a similar spot.

I was diagnosed with ADHD probably around age 6 to 8, and at almost 25 there's still no question on whether or not I have it. I was accepted into graduate school about 2 years ago fresh out of undergrad, and during these last 2 years, my overall life performance has gradually fallen further and further. In undergrad I finished with a GPA of 3.7 and high ambitions, but now I'm buckling down and struggling to make sure I pass the last of my classes and just barely earn my masters here with my head above the water, and I'm in serious risk of not passing at least one. I had to resign from my research and assistantship because I just couldn't seem to make progress. My emotional stability also fell, and it started to affect myself and the people around me.

Recently, I finally started seeking professional help again, since the last time I did was probably back in early high school or before. I've started learning about ADHD again, and I've discovered that this drop wasn't because I was slacking off or was gradually accumulating brain damage, but that I had lost touch with my illness and how to work with it. I've always tried not to use it as an excuse for failure or against trying, but in doing so I'd forgotten that it's not just spacing out and high energy, but a lot bigger suite of challenges, many of the textbook ones are the very things that have been cropping up and dragging me into the mud. I feel a new sense of hope learning that it's still not just me, and that the reason just trying harder hasn't worked is because the solutions, and the causes, weren't that simple, and never had been (I'd just had more ubiquitous support and structure all around me before), certainly not just a matter of taking medications and trying to willpower your way through.

I guess the take-home lesson I got here, and I hope to pass on to anybody else with ADD/HD in a similar rough phase, is that sometimes you need to go back to the professionals and be re-acquainted with your condition, what it means, and how it can affect your life, and most importantly, how you can effectively deal with this. Life changes and we forget, or never really could see what it was that gave us the ability to conquer these challenges before, and it's so important to periodically refresh your memory with a professional before it consumes you.

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

Spoke to my doctor about the Ritalin issue I posted yesterday. Her response was that maybe stimulants weren't the best choice for me, based on the Ritalin reaction and an issue I had with Wellbutrin earlier this year... which I didn't think was a stimulant. She said she would have to look into it and get back to me.

Isn't it common to just have a bad reaction to one stimulant but have a different one work? I thought that was generally how people found the right medication for this.

I'm assuming the only other option is Strattera, but there is no way my insurance will cover it and I can't afford it out of pocket...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Vyvanse makes me feel like I'm gonna have a heart attack. I did Welbutrin twice, first time i quit smoking, it worked like a champ. Second time it made me wig out like vyvanse... It was about 9 monthes later. Adderall makes me clench my teeth, and my forearm tendons tighten up like I have carpal tunnel. Hell even a good antihistamine makes me irritable, but Concerta makes me normal.

I'm not a doctor but I think stress levels and other factors play into how these drugs affect people. Things change with time. So I think there's hope for you if you can work with your doctor, but then again I'm not a doctor.

Edit: iPad autocorrect