Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

It seems my Corgi is unlikely to have hip problems since her family has all been screened for hip issues back several generations. However, my wife's family once had a total hip replacement for their dog. It was about $5,000.00 but it fixed the hip problem almost entirely. That's of course, not a matter of not wanting to spend that much, but more that I literally don't think I could come up with that kind of money.

Genetics can play a big part in how the hips develop, but things work in mysterious ways. Pepper's mother is borderline hips, and I don't think her father had the best hips either, and her hips turned out fantastic. Loki, her half-brother (same mother) had a father that had pretty good hips, and his x-ray showed mild signs of dysplasia, letting us know he might have issues down the road.

You just never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Just an update: we got our consult with the orthopedic surgeon, and he confirmed that Pepper needs TPLO surgery. She has a small tear in her CCL. She should be back to almost full use approximately 2-3 months after surgery

It sucks, and it's a nice $3000 bill, but she's worth it.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

abaddonis posted:

Just an update: we got our consult with the orthopedic surgeon, and he confirmed that Pepper needs TPLO surgery. She has a small tear in her CCL. She should be back to almost full use approximately 2-3 months after surgery

It sucks, and it's a nice $3000 bill, but she's worth it.

Haven't checked this thread in awhile but Ula had to get TPLO surgery 3 years ago. It took her roughly 7 weeks to recover but she is back to normal now running and playing.

Only problem is she can't jump as high as Orson so I have to lift her up into my car and onto my bed. But she's worth it :)

Bonus picture of Ula after her surgery - she had to get a bucket on her head because she could reach around her cone and lick her stitches.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

elf pr0n posted:

Haven't checked this thread in awhile but Ula had to get TPLO surgery 3 years ago. It took her roughly 7 weeks to recover but she is back to normal now running and playing.

Only problem is she can't jump as high as Orson so I have to lift her up into my car and onto my bed. But she's worth it :)

Bonus picture of Ula after her surgery - she had to get a bucket on her head because she could reach around her cone and lick her stitches.

I'm glad Ula is doing better. Pepper couldn't jump up on our bed or into our cars anyways, so its all good. She goes in on the 27th and we get her back on the 28th. Our friend's lab had the same surgery but there was a complication. It took her almost 7 months to fully heal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Here, have a handsome boy!

He's 9 months old now, my little bear :3:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 5, 2011

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Look at that happy little dawg :3:

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvn1folyHR0

Box attack!

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:

C-Euro posted:

my little bear :3:

That's what I call my corgi too!

Speaking of which, here she is. We just had a day at the park!

Also, there she is on the left with her party hat on.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

She's really afraid of the sound the cork makes when it pops. But like a corgi, she wants to figure out what it is.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
After two years of waiting, saving, and researching, my husband and I are finally on a list for a puppy from Paul Chen! He is waiting for Madison (Afara Make A Wish) to go into heat, and then once it is confirmed she's pregnant, that's when the fun begins!

What should I expect from this point, conversation-with-breeder-wise? He's got a fairly good idea of our living situation and what we're looking for in a dog, but what will the basic process from here on out be like?

Madison's 3/4 sister is Ivy (Afara Incandescent):

Her father, however, is Truman (Wolfrun Afara Far And Away), and she's black and white like him:

I don't yet know who she's being bred to, but I know he's a blue merle, so my dog will either be a blue or a b/w, both of which are totally gorgeous!

Miss Indy, I think that means that our dogs will be some kind of uncle-niece situation, since Zeke is Madison's mother Zoe's littermate.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Congrats on your upcoming Cardi pup. Those are both gorgeous dogs.

When we got Josie, I had several back and forth emails with the breeder. We'd originally expected to get a puppy that summer, but due to economic circumstances in Fall/Winter 2008, several people had backed out on her current litter, so there were homes needed for puppies right away. I remember asking about puppy-proofing the house, and how best to introduce cats, and the personalities of the available pups. I also remember providing vet references, and personal references from a couple of friends. Overall, I think she was happy with us for several reasons: we own our house, we have a big fenced yard, my husband can take the dog to work, and our vet loves us.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Damnit double post

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

anachrodragon posted:

Congrats on your upcoming Cardi pup. Those are both gorgeous dogs.

When we got Josie, I had several back and forth emails with the breeder. We'd originally expected to get a puppy that summer, but due to economic circumstances in Fall/Winter 2008, several people had backed out on her current litter, so there were homes needed for puppies right away. I remember asking about puppy-proofing the house, and how best to introduce cats, and the personalities of the available pups. I also remember providing vet references, and personal references from a couple of friends. Overall, I think she was happy with us for several reasons: we own our house, we have a big fenced yard, my husband can take the dog to work, and our vet loves us.

Well, this will be interesting then. Paul doesn't require a fenced yard for this reason (and I quote): "I bought my first Pem when I was in Graduate School so she spent her first 2 years living in the back of my station wagon and being walked between classes so I cannot require yards." Which is good, because we are currently (for now) apartment dwellers. Our apartment is *~*freaking amazing*~* though, in that it has a fully-fenced dog part on-site and a free concierge service that will walk your dog while you're at work. Luckily, we won't need that for a long while yet, since I'm still doing the student thing part-time, and someone will literally be at home with the puppy at all times. Also, this is our first real pet (the horrible evil murder-hamsters don't count), so not sure how we'll get references from a vet. I've got a good one chosen, but we've never taken an animal there, so I guess we'll just make the initial appointment and get written proof that we have done so.

Other than that, all I can really do is just keep up the email correspondence once they get back from the CWCCA Nationals!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I don't know that Carolyn would have required home ownership or a fenced yard, but it was more that I think she was happy about it. Your apartment sounds like it seriously rocks though, so I wouldn't worry. Most breeders probably just want to be assured that they're sending puppies to good homes where they'll be cherished members of the family, and it sounds like you've got that covered.

I would probably do some research on the local vets, and call them up or go for a visit. At the very least you can find out stuff like their hours, how much they charge for puppy shots, etc...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This is George.

Initially he was not amused with our attempts to coax him into doing stuff.

He is very wily and on occasion escapes the back yard. Then he leads me and/or my wife on a merry chase around the neighborhood. When he finally comes home, he is very tired.

George the Conqueror

Also he does this every time the phone rings.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Sometime in the next year we plan to get a dog. We're doubtful we'll be able to afford a breeder, so we'll be checking petfinder periodically. Can someone explain why you want a corgi's ears to stand up? I get that that's the way they're supposed to be, but why?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Sometime in the next year we plan to get a dog. We're doubtful we'll be able to afford a breeder, so we'll be checking petfinder periodically. Can someone explain why you want a corgi's ears to stand up? I get that that's the way they're supposed to be, but why?

Pretty much for the same reason that you want a Labrador's ears to flop. Breed standard. If you're asking why the breed evolved in that direction, there may not be an answer. It just happened that way and it's been kept as part of what makes a corgi a corgi. Plus, it's just so darned cute!

Also, if you get a corgi through a shelter or rescue (good on you for that, by the way!), be sure to have a good emergency backup fund in case it develops some major health issues down the line. Corgis are susceptible to a number of unpleasant genetic problems, so do keep that in mind. The initial cost of a puppy or older dog from a breeder is literally nothing in comparison to, say, surgery for severe hip dysplasia or the emotional cost of degenerative myelopathy.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Thanks Butwhatif, we'll definitely keep that in mind. :) Thanks for the answer, that's what I thought but didn't know how to put it into words. We probably will end up going with a rescue, so we can have an emergency fund. Maybe not even go with a corgi, just depends on how our life is in 2012.
I searched online for breeders and found an alarming amount of BYB. Including one called Nextdaydog.com :gonk:

Dancingthroughlife fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 17, 2011

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Thanks Butwhatif, we'll definitely keep that in mind. :) Thanks for the answer, that's what I thought but didn't know how to put it into words. We probably will end up going with a rescue, so we can have an emergency fund. Maybe not even go with a corgi, just depends on how our life is in 2012.
I searched online for breeders and found an alarming amount of BYB. Including one called Nextdaydog.com :gonk:

Yeah, pretty much the only way I trust breeders I find online is if they were found through the national breed club (in my case, the CWCCA) or directly recommended from a breeder on that list. The whole nextdaypets thing is pretty awful, and it's really sad that most people don't seem to understand how crappy those breeders are. I have literally been called a snob for trying to educate people about byb's.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

This is why you tape corgi ears up when they need help as a puppy:

They will not flop like a lab. They will stand part way up and flop part way. Sure it might be cute at a glance but that's permanent.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

londerwost posted:

They will not flop like a lab. They will stand part way up and flop part way. Sure it might be cute at a glance but that's permanent.

HEE HEE HEE!

Does that make them any more susceptible to ear infections than a normal flop-eared dog? Or less than if their ears were standing up? Or no difference?

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I got a call from the breeder and the puppies were born! There's apparently only one male in the litter (my preference is leaning toward a male) and he's apparently pretty mismarked (lots of white on his head and a spot on his butt), but he sounds pretty adorable. :3: I don't have pics yet; the breeder is waiting until mom and pups settle in a bit more and their tails are docked. The girls are all marked normally.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

londerwost posted:

That is odd, he looks like a helicopter. Good luck Kerafyrm.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

That is odd, he looks like a helicopter. Good luck Kerafyrm.

Yeah, that is Josie's brother. Most of the puppies from her litter had issues with their ears coming up, and needed to be taped. I think that pup's owner decided to let them come up naturally, and they only made it halfway. I imagine that dog gets "What kind of dog is that?" even more than your average Cardi.

And yeah, good luck Kerafyrm.

Wonder Bra posted:

HEE HEE HEE!

Does that make them any more susceptible to ear infections than a normal flop-eared dog? Or less than if their ears were standing up? Or no difference?

I don't think they're any more prone to infection, but the other corgis probably laugh at them.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 21, 2011

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:

ButWhatIf posted:

Which is good, because we are currently (for now) apartment dwellers.

I've had my corgi Sunny in an apartment (no yard) for two years without much of an issue. We walk her three times a day (breakfast, dinner, bedtime, if not more) and she does fine, the rest of the time she wanders around the house, watches TV, or naps in her kennel. I also try to take her on long walks at a nearby park at least once a month, weather permitting. I should qualify that Sunny is 11, though, so take this with a grain of salt for a puppy. The fact you'll be home to help him\her expend his\her puppy energy is definitely a good thing.

Edit - I'm sure you already know this, but just in case - definitely get a baby gate for your kitchen. Sunny follows us into the kitchen when we cook dinner, which isn't a problem in and of itself, but she developed a habit of standing right behind me waiting for food to drop. I've nearly tripped over her several times, and that's not something you want to have happen when you're holding a knife or boiling water.

TC_ fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 21, 2011

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Grabbed some photos of Corwin off my iPhone to share!

Another from the first day we got him on the car ride home...

He sleeps like this a lot.

Hurf.

Derf.

Yogurt cup fail.

With littermate Milo at dog park

Beating Milo down.

I SMELL PEANUT BUTTER! Can't! Reach! Unf!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
While uploading those pics, I realized it's been a few weeks since I took any, so I'm gonna hijack this thread with more corgi pictures!

All photos from the park this morning, where we had a great time being very fixated on our chuckit ball, and getting super tired out. (I think I overdid it.) I call these "photos in the theme of tongue."

Seriously, I don't know where he hides that thing. His tongue is so long it scares me.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
:3: Gonna steal dat dawg. He is so cute.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

:3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOHi276Q3RM&feature=channel_video_title

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Anyone else planning on going to this? I was considering it, if only to get a nice, full picture of corgi personalities (and to keep me sane while I wait).

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

Anyone else planning on going to this? I was considering it, if only to get a nice, full picture of corgi personalities (and to keep me sane while I wait).

drat, I would but I have an 11am client meeting on Sunday. :(

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

So I have puppy pics! The breeder sent them yesterday. It was a huge litter! 6 girls and 1 boy.

The boy is pretty mismarked, but I found the mismarks gave him a lot of character. He'll have an eyepatch and a belt! :3:

The father is a red-headed tri and the mother is a black-headed tri, and the breeder said he'll likely be a red-headed tri.

Here's a couple of the pics.

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 27, 2011

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Pepper has her surgery tomorrow. Hopefully she gets through it well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TC_ posted:

That's what I call my corgi too!

Hah, glad I'm not the only one. I don't know if pets can have nicknames but he has several with the word "Bear" in them; Little Bear, Big Bear, Handsome Bear, Pee-Bear...

Wonder Bra posted:

I love the black markings around his face, they almost make him look like a midget Border Collie.

EDIT: I guess my girlfriend got a card from the vet today reminding her that Butters needs to be neutered soon :( I know it has to be done (especially since one of them didn't drop, I guess it could become cancerous), I just don't want to think about it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 28, 2011

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Surgery went well. Now it's 8 weeks of recovery.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!

Kerafyrm posted:

The boy is pretty mismarked, but I found the mismarks gave him a lot of character. He'll have an eyepatch and a belt! :3:

He is sooo cute! One of our boys is mismarked as well, but it makes me love him all the more!

Yesterday was Dewey's first birthday. His littermate Dash came over to celebrate! My hosting on these.

Dash is so drat handsome.

My dopey boy with his hilariously oversized ears and tongue.

Not leaving Dexter out of the festivities!

Dash & Dewey going at it, while Dexter referees.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like I'm going to explode into confetti looking at your pictures.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

My wife and I just picked up our little Lola.

The cats are acclimating to her very well, and she is doing great with them too

Ive been bringing her to my office this week to spare her the trauma of being crated while our kitchen is being redone. This is how she spends the majority of her days.

Were house-training her now, shes had a few accidents, but overall shes been very good. I feel bad that we cant really take her anyplace to run yet as she isnt old enough for the shots she needs. Just a couple more weeks though.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Crunch Bucket posted:

Dash is so drat handsome.

god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Crunch Bucket posted: