Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

doctor 7 posted:

Can you really complain about this if you liked GTA IV?

That's the game I keep picking up and then putting back down after 30 minutes, and I'm not even far enough into it for any repetition to start setting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Basebf555 posted:

I saw this as Ross going back to Washington to get "official" permission to take Marsten out. Even though he's corrupt as hell, Ross still answers to superiors. Its probably just a formality, but I doubt Ross could/would just commit murder without it being sanctioned in some capacity.

Basically he had to go back to headquarters to get a signature on a piece of paper that said he could go kill Marsten. He was covering his rear end.
As I said, you basically have to make up your own reason.

This doesn't make logical sense because, again, Ross had plenty of time to get permission to do Dutch then Marston one after another.

The fact remains that it makes sense to kill Marston right after he kills Dutch then kill his family. Ross had plenty of time to speak with/get permission from Johns about the entire thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

This doesn't make logical sense because, again, Ross had plenty of time to get permission to do Dutch then Marston one after another.

The fact remains that it makes sense to kill Marston right after he kills Dutch then kill his family. Ross had plenty of time to speak with/get permission from Johns about the entire thing.

I think it's very possible that Ross might have actually been planning on letting them go, but then Johns said "no, make him disappear too."

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I think it's very possible that Ross might have actually been planning on letting them go, but then Johns said "no, make him disappear too."

And there is a lot more red tape to go through to get rid of a mercenary you're blackmailing into working for you and not just another bandit.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ross let John go back to the farm as reward for doing his dirty work. He was always going to be killed. Nate Johns Wasn't some epic puppet Master behind it all. he just wanted the gang gone and Ross did that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

doctor 7 posted:

It makes sense to me because "convince Marston to help us, then execute him once he's finished" doesn't feel realistic as something the FBI would actually do. To me it makes more sense as the plan of one(Ross) or two corrupt agents who, once Dutch is out of the way, have to then justify to their superiors why they need to execute the guy that just helped them.

You're right that this is one where you kinda have to fill in the details on your own though.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also, when you kill Dutch, Ross doesn't have the Army with him at that point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyruvate posted:

Also, when you kill Dutch, Ross doesn't have the Army with him at that point.

True, really the whole thing could be as simple as Marston being a total badass and Ross is too scared not to get excessive backup.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

This is pretty much what happened last time.

"Marston is going to be killed by Ross, it's thrown at you over and over in the story. No problems with that, it makes sense.

However how Ross kills you is never appropriate as it makes no sense so you have to come up with your own reason."

"No it makes perfect sense, see:
*insert about 5-10 different reasons*"

Thanks for confirming my point, I guess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

doctor 7 posted:

This is pretty much what happened last time.

"Marston is going to be killed by Ross, it's thrown at you over and over in the story. No problems with that, it makes sense.

However how Ross kills you is never appropriate as it makes no sense so you have to come up with your own reason."

"No it makes perfect sense, see:
*insert about 5-10 different reasons*"

I wasn't really trying to disagree with you, just describe what I was thinking when I played that part of the game as a comparison. I didn't know there was a running argument or anything.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

One of these days I'm gonna have to finish the game so I can go back and read all those spoilers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

One of these days I'm gonna have to finish the game so I can go back and read all those spoilers.

It's nothing big, just how at the end Marston turns out to be a time traveling Tommy Vercetti, and then aliens show up, which sets up the sequel.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

doctor 7 posted:

The problem is the scriptwriters watched far too much deadwood and read too much Game of Thrones. The new hotness is treating your characters like garbage to 'shock' the audience into how hardcore you are. The fact that people will rationalize the unsatisfying wrapup is just an attempt to think that the unsatisfying must somehow be deep.

The story didn't have to be written as it was, the scriptwriters had every freedom to do whatever they wanted to do with it. But at the same time, the tone of the game changes significantly through the three acts. They say it's because the first is an homage to classic westerns, the second to spaghetti westerns, and the third to 'modern' westerns. I think the changes in tone are pretty jarring and it feels more like 3 distinct short games, than one cohesive game. And the ending is yet ANOTHER change in tone that doesn't make sense and somehow doesn't fit with the story they chose to write.

Honestly, my liking for RDR went from 95% in the first act, to about 80% in the second act, to about 50% in the third act. Which mirrors my dislike for modern westerns and the pointless cruelty. It's like the whole point is "gently caress you for caring about ANYTHING or wanting a neat wrap up, this is real life, hard core mothafucka" and that just gets old.

Anyway, I still would have been fine with a gently caress you ending, as it wasn't unexpected, but the way it was done was yet another gently caress you attempt to rub your nose in the idea that there are no happy endings. At least that's what it felt like to me, and that's why I didn't like it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Rakthar posted:

The problem is the scriptwriters

Whoa there bro, I don't think the writers were out to get you personally or anything.

I didn't get the sense at all that the writers were going for "no happy endings HAHAHA" they were trying to show the cycle of violence and revenge. Where a violent upbringing begins and why it happens. I know a lot of people weren't a fan of Jack, but the game could have easily started with you playing as Jack. The farm could have been the tutorial level and the game progresses as you track down those responsible for murdering your father and tearing apart your fragile family.

That's what I got the sense of anyway, showing how lust for vengeance is started and carried out. I know this is going to sound like I'm trying to be a condescending rear end in a top hat but I kind of feel bad that you disliked the story so much. It's pretty obvious it could have been pulled off in half the amount of missions (even excluding the tutorial levels) but it's still a game and it still has to be fun.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Rakthar posted:

The problem is the scriptwriters watched far too much deadwood and read too much Game of Thrones. The new hotness is treating your characters like garbage to 'shock' the audience into how hardcore you are. The fact that people will rationalize the unsatisfying wrapup is just an attempt to think that the unsatisfying must somehow be deep.

The story didn't have to be written as it was, the scriptwriters had every freedom to do whatever they wanted to do with it. But at the same time, the tone of the game changes significantly through the three acts. They say it's because the first is an homage to classic westerns, the second to spaghetti westerns, and the third to 'modern' westerns. I think the changes in tone are pretty jarring and it feels more like 3 distinct short games, than one cohesive game. And the ending is yet ANOTHER change in tone that doesn't make sense and somehow doesn't fit with the story they chose to write.

Honestly, my liking for RDR went from 95% in the first act, to about 80% in the second act, to about 50% in the third act. Which mirrors my dislike for modern westerns and the pointless cruelty. It's like the whole point is "gently caress you for caring about ANYTHING or wanting a neat wrap up, this is real life, hard core mothafucka" and that just gets old.

Anyway, I still would have been fine with a gently caress you ending, as it wasn't unexpected, but the way it was done was yet another gently caress you attempt to rub your nose in the idea that there are no happy endings. At least that's what it felt like to me, and that's why I didn't like it.
I concur for the most part. Like I said I was fine with the ending, Marston getting killed wasn't unexpected. It was distinctly foreshadowed and not too much in my opinion. That was well done and I think they deserve credit for it. Additionally it allowed from an ambiguous ending: was Jack going down the same road as his father or was he adhering to a moral code when the justice system itself was at fault which we normally cheer for?

However the distinct flaws for me were repetitious dialog (the "DO I HAVE A CHOICE"/"MY FAMILY" poo poo gets pretty tedious, by the 10th time it just felt like amateur hour) and Ross coming back for Marston was handled. The stupid thing is the former could have been solved by just dropping the repetitive lines. The latter could been fixed by 10-15 seconds of additional dialog using any of the assumptions made on the story's behalf in this thread. Everything people have posted have been reasonable and would work.

Two easy fixes and you could have an otherwise flawless game. Well except for the Euphora engine making it frustrating as hell to perform precision movements (like getting through a door when you just missed it).

fennesz posted:

Whoa there bro, I don't think the writers were out to get you personally or anything.

I didn't get the sense at all that the writers were going for "no happy endings HAHAHA" they were trying to show the cycle of violence and revenge. Where a violent upbringing begins and why it happens. I know a lot of people weren't a fan of Jack, but the game could have easily started with you playing as Jack. The farm could have been the tutorial level and the game progresses as you track down those responsible for murdering your father and tearing apart your fragile family.

That's what I got the sense of anyway, showing how lust for vengeance is started and carried out. I know this is going to sound like I'm trying to be a condescending rear end in a top hat but I kind of feel bad that you disliked the story so much. It's pretty obvious it could have been pulled off in half the amount of missions (even excluding the tutorial levels) but it's still a game and it still has to be fun.
He does have a point about screenwriting as of late. I've tried to follow a number of TV shows and when something goes well I'm already going "oh things are going well, I wonder what will happen to completely reverse their fate so that everything goes horribly." And then it does.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Consider how nine out of ten sheriffs/lawmen in this game world deal with criminals. I'll give you a hint, it involves bullets. Marston explains this fact in the introductory cutscene at Fort Mercer.

The government pays the lawmen to shoot bad guys, lawmen and bounty hunters chase you and shoot you for criminal acts, lawmen ask you to shoot bad guys, pay you bounty to shoot bad guys, Ricketts encourages shooting bad guys, he's a hero because he shot dudes, multiple side stories and story missions involve shooting bad guys (as defined by theft, murder, etc.).

Regarding the ending, the game drat near spells it out to you in the introduction; Marston has to kill a criminal. How does anyone believe Ross is ever telling the truth about letting Marston go free? I guess if someone missed the multiple portrayals of good lawmen, neutral lawmen, and corrupt lawmen all killing 'bad guys'.

Seriously, this is middle-school level foreshadowing.

e: I guess I'll actually finish my post before pressing post.

I liked the story and presentation, but I feel like Rockstar is too heavy handed with their themes. I would have been far more surprised if John died on a grand train heist or something. It ends up being boring and unexciting. More importantly, the ending falls emotionally flat for some becuase of its juvenile presentation.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 14, 2011

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Pickled Kittens posted:

Seriously, this is middle-school level foreshadowing.

Just because it was blatant doesn't mean it was ineffective.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I liked the story but I still would have preferred it if Marston was a bad guy instead for most of the game if not the whole thing. Or the player got a choice.

I really hope there is a Red Dead Redemption 2 someday. There are a lot of directions they could take a sequel and a lot of things they can improve. The most important thing I really want in RDR2 is the content creator that Infamous 2 is getting and a more streamlined multiplayer that is faster for getting into competitive matches and co-op.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Personally I liked how Marston wasn't a giant wanton criminal. GTAIV Niko has genuine emotion in cutscenes which are completely opposite of how the missions play where you unrelentingly slaughter tons of good guys.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Euphora engine making it frustrating as hell to perform precision movements (like getting through a door when you just missed it).

Oh man this. THIS. I can spend 30 seconds trying to go through a door or climb on a crate or something.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Saint Sputnik posted:

Oh man this. THIS. I can spend 30 seconds trying to go through a door or climb on a crate or something.

Agreed, I love Euphoria for collision-based physics, but not all around. It would be cool if they could sort of switch it off and on.

I wish every game was as responsive as Infamous...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I always thought the ending was more of a statement on how Ross was an emasculated character. Ross mistakes bureaucracy for civilization and simply does as he's told. For such a tough guy, he's essentially just hired help like Marston is but without illusion of choice. Marston could always tell his fellow gang members to go screw but Ross doesn't even have that. His worship of 'civilization' is just him following orders. That's why at the end why he cannot leave the job: his retirement is nothing more than having a longer leash that allows him to be in Mexico fishing instead of truly well-away from his job so he can keep coming back to it.

Ross is a parallel to John Marston because they're both paid killers. The only difference that civilization makes is that it removes any sense of choice. When he faces his maker, Marston at least had a choice of going this route and trying to avoid it. Ross just gave it up and leaves nothing behind, not even a child.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Sco Dylan posted:

Agreed, I love Euphoria for collision-based physics, but not all around. It would be cool if they could sort of switch it off and on.
I admit I find it pretty infuriating when I can get through a door but God drat if I don't forgive the game when I shoot someone off their horse, only to have their foot get caught on a stirrup as their steed takes off in fear. The best is when there's a sudden turn and they get loving LAUNCHED. One time I was on the hills above the river diving the US and Mexico. Guy was catapult into in and it was glorious.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

I admit I find it pretty infuriating when I can get through a door but God drat if I don't forgive the game when I shoot someone off their horse, only to have their foot get caught on a stirrup as their steed takes off in fear. The best is when there's a sudden turn and they get loving LAUNCHED. One time I was on the hills above the river diving the US and Mexico. Guy was catapult into in and it was glorious.

Oh yeah that also reminds me. Next game, Marston should know how to loving swim.

And then, since in my mind it'll be a prequel, he should get hit on the head in the end and announce that he forgot how to swim.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

Oh yeah that also reminds me. Next game, Marston should know how to loving swim.

And then, since in my mind it'll be a prequel, he should get hit on the head in the end and announce that he forgot how to swim.

How is he going to swim when he's got pounds of equipment and leather on him? If anything, the lack of swimming is more fitting here as a cowboy dressed in chaps, boots, and leathers would sink even if they knew how to swim.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

How is he going to swim when he's got pounds of equipment and leather on him? If anything, the lack of swimming is more fitting here as a cowboy dressed in chaps, boots, and leathers would sink even if they knew how to swim.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason he couldn't swim was to prevent people from going to Mexico early.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason he couldn't swim was to prevent people from going to Mexico early.

Then have, like, a fast stream in the middle that carries you away, but otherwise you don't insta-die as soon as dip your toe in. I'm tired of scrabbling up the steep banks of all the water around Thieves' Landing in a desperate bid to not die.

e: Playing for the next couple hours or so if anyone wants to jump in (GT AudreyHeartburn)

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 14, 2011

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Saint Sputnik posted:

Then have, like, a fast stream in the middle that carries you away, but otherwise you don't insta-die as soon as dip your toe in. I'm tired of scrabbling up the steep banks of all the water around Thieves' Landing in a desperate bid to not die.
Not a bad idea. But I think a stream with infinitely-spawning bears would be more awesome. :gibs:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 15, 2011

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

melon cat posted:

Not a bad diea. But I think a stream with infinitely-spawning bears would be more awesome. :gibs:

OK, this, but if only for the opportunity to go dynamite fishing for grizzly.

I can see it now, tossing a lit stick into the water, and backing up just enough to see a fountain of water and bears rise up like old faithful in hell. I'd pay $10 just to be able to do this.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

OK, this, but if only for the opportunity to go dynamite fishing for grizzly.

I can see it now, tossing a lit stick into the water, and backing up just enough to see a fountain of water and bears rise up like old faithful in hell. I'd pay $10 just to be able to do this.

Huh. Is this game on the PC? Is it modable?

Also, which of you is doctor 7?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

Huh. Is this game on the PC? Is it modable?

Also, which of you is doctor 7?
That would be me

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

That would be me

I didn't recognize it as a forum name but I def. recognize your av.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jesus I just got a random event I didn't even know existed in Thieves Landing a swarm of bats descended on the town, I didn't even know bats existed outside of Undead Nightmare :psyduck:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

fennesz posted:

Jesus I just got a random event I didn't even know existed in Thieves Landing a swarm of bats descended on the town, I didn't even know bats existed outside of Undead Nightmare :psyduck:
That happens at dawn and dusk.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Looks like there's a triple XP weekend on the 360. I just booted up the single player and got a little prompt for it :toot:

E:

Hahah jesus, 1400XP for doing Critchley's Ranch.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 15, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Time to play some RDR this weekend it looks like.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008

fennesz posted:

I once had a ton of bats flood out of the cellar door in that big old mansion looking place out west. Tumbleweed?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Capn Beeb posted:

Looks like there's a triple XP weekend on the 360. I just booted up the single player and got a little prompt for it :toot:

E:

Hahah jesus, 1400XP for doing Critchley's Ranch.

loving finally. Gonna be playing the hell out of this so I can finally get back to Level 50.

What's the fastest way to grind XP these days? I had Pike's Basin down to a solid 7 minutes, but I haven't played since the new mini-hideouts were added. Is Pike's still my best bet or is there a more effective grind?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

loving finally. Gonna be playing the hell out of this so I can finally get back to Level 50.

What's the fastest way to grind XP these days? I had Pike's Basin down to a solid 7 minutes, but I haven't played since the new mini-hideouts were added. Is Pike's still my best bet or is there a more effective grind?

Pike's your best bet as the other new hideouts are minimal at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is it all XP or just mission XP?

• Locked thread