Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

evilnissan posted:

Did my fork seals on monday and finally got a real chance to ride it today and notice I have oil seaping up through the wipers. Not leaking all over the place and still holding air pressure but seaping up on compression.

Could have I put just a tad to much oil in them or are the Allballs seals I put in crap?

This can happen if you damage the oil seals when driving them in. For example, if you drive them in with a screwdriver or something, then it'll get bent out of shape and not seal properly. Keep in mind that I'm talking about the oil seal, not the visible dust seal (which is just designed to keep crap out of the oil seal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KidDynamite posted:

Arguing with people on facebook about why it's safer to start on a NOT A 600 is like pulling teeth.

Pretty much, I have had two outcomes so far.
A. Chick wants a new ducati, end up talking her down to a SV650. Power scares her, ends up riding it once for a few miles and now it sits in the garage unless I come over and ride it around.
B. Friend buys a new GSXR600 back in 2005, ends up dying in his front yard as I watch him encounter his first corner at way too high of a speed and hits a cinderblock wall. I hadn't even ridden a street bike at this point, surprised I grew the balls to finally buy one. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^^ My god man.

AhhYes posted:

Reposting this from the last page, sorry if people saw it but just didn't know.

I brought this problem to you guys a few weeks ago, and now I've got a related question.

My 05 Ducati Monster 620 has been having fuel pump issues. It'll occasionally die out either while riding or while idling and occasionally when I turn the key I won't hear the pump turn on.

I took the pump out to inspect the wiring and everything looked fine. I was thinking electrical issue since whenever the pump is actually working, it works fine, i don't get any performance issues. While I was inspecting the pump I looked at the relays and both were "clicking" on and off as they should.

So yesterday I was trying to get it to repeat the problem so I could try and direct wire the pump from the battery to prove once and for all if it's the pump or a wiring issue and of course I couldn't get it to shut off.

While enjoying the longest ride the bike has given me in awhile, I noticed that the tachometer was behaving oddly. It still registered the engine speed, but it would bottom out as if the engine was off when idling. So it'd sweep up when I gave it gas, but wouldn't show that it was idling at 1k, it'd just drop all the way to the bottom. This got me thinking that I had occasionally had the instrument cluster behave oddly when I shut the bike off. The LCD displays would remain on for a second, and the right turn signal would flash for a bit before everything finally shut off.

So my question is this: Since I know that the fuel pump and the instrument cluster both use the relays, and I've been having both instrument cluster and fuel pump issues, is it possible that the relays can be malfunctioning in some other way even though they're still "clicking" on and off as they should?

I think this is an issue that needs more detailed troubleshooting...checking for damaged wires or an intermittant ground. You can start throwing parts at it, but there might be some people on a ducati specific board who can help you out with this issue if it's known to the model.

evilnissan posted:

Did my fork seals on monday and finally got a real chance to ride it today and notice I have oil seaping up through the wipers. Not leaking all over the place and still holding air pressure but seaping up on compression.

Could have I put just a tad to much oil in them or are the Allballs seals I put in crap?

Sometimes the seals will weep a bit before the seal up nicely and you'll get a bit of oil on the fork legs right after a change. Wipe it clean for a few rides and it should go away.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

BlackMK4 posted:

Pretty much, I have had two outcomes so far.
A. Chick wants a new ducati, end up talking her down to a SV650. Power scares her, ends up riding it once for a few miles and now it sits in the garage unless I come over and ride it around.
B. Friend buys a new GSXR600 back in 2005, ends up dying in his front yard as I watch him encounter his first corner at way too high of a speed and hits a cinderblock wall. I hadn't even ridden a street bike at this point, surprised I grew the balls to finally buy one. :v:

Yeah, good think we can look back on poo poo like that and laugh :psyduck:

What the gently caress is wrong with you man?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are there any big gotchas with first-gen Ninja 250's? I'm going with a friend to look at one today. Its his first bike, so he doesnt know much about them, and I dont know much specifically about 250 Ninjas.

Other than the regular stuff that you would look for on a bike from 1998, are there any Ninja-specific things to watch for?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Are there any big gotchas with first-gen Ninja 250's? I'm going with a friend to look at one today. Its his first bike, so he doesnt know much about them, and I dont know much specifically about 250 Ninjas.

Other than the regular stuff that you would look for on a bike from 1998, are there any Ninja-specific things to watch for?

See if the valve adjustments have been done. Besides that, nothing major, really, just that the owners of 250s tend to be beginners who don't lube chains or check oil and skip maintenance.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JP Money posted:

Yeah, good think we can look back on poo poo like that and laugh :psyduck:

What the gently caress is wrong with you man?
Where am I laughing? :psyduck:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I know what you mean. They always seem to have this image in their head of them on a supersport that they can't shake. I usually get through to them after a week or so. Using the "you'll kill yourself" analogy usually doesn't work because they always know some guy that started on a sportbike and "is fine." Instread, I usually try to show that they'll be too indimidated to really learn on something like that, and while they may not die, they sure as poo poo won't be proficient riders.

Having just got home on my loaner Dullville, crying with laughter and with the lamentations of the pubbies car driving masses ringing in my ears, I have the perfect bike to suggest...

Excuse blackberry photo pls

Saga fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 14, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

You can opzuig my slangetje. :smug:

Oh Ola, you always know the right thing to say. :swoon:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

"[panic posted:

"]
I did check with a multimeter (another new piece of equipment, hooray!) and the battery was drained. Recharged it overnight with a battery tender and it is working fine this morning. I'm still concerned about the sudden drain but I'm guessing that I just left the key turned and drained the power.

Good to know. I would have that battery checked out at battery place. My Honda's battery completely wouldn't turn the starter despite reading a full charge. Turned out the battery voltage would drop under load. If the battery checks out fine then you get the unenviable job of finding what's draining it.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
I think I'm just going to go with it for now. This was the first time I have had any sort of battery issue whatsoever and I took it out twice today on very short out and backs for errands and the battery showed no sign of struggling whatsoever. I'm pretty much convinced that I forgot to turn the key off after my last ride and just drained the entire battery.

If I get stranded somewhere at least I have learned how to bump start.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

AhhYes posted:

05 Ducati Monster 620 fuel pump issues.

It really sounds like you have a bad connection or ground somewhere. I would start by making sure all the points where grounds connect to the engine/frame are clean and tight.

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
Is it possible to increase the distance between the gear lever and the foot peg on a GS500? I went and test rode one today, and the gap between them seemed really small, and I had a bit of trouble getting my foot under the lever...a quick google search says it isnt possible..

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Don Music posted:

Is it possible to increase the distance between the gear lever and the foot peg on a GS500? I went and test rode one today, and the gap between them seemed really small, and I had a bit of trouble getting my foot under the lever...a quick google search says it isnt possible..

This thread might help if you are into the DIY thing
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?action=printpage;topic=42757.0

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Don Music posted:

It's probably the angle of the shifter not the distance if you can't get your toe under it. Remove shifter and reattach to selector shaft after rotating it. If the cases are in the way or if the shifter is really just too long or too short, then you can still do it - use an aftermarket lever, or weld up an extension with the help of your friendly neighbourhood muffler shop.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Ssooooo any advice for my first time having a passenger? She used to have a bike and is pretty tiny.. but Im still pretty nervous. I was thinking about letting her have a quick go on the bike first to get a feel for it even though Ill be doing the driving when the time comes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just remember to be smooth. Besides that, it's no different from having luggage. Tell her to relax and look over your shoulder in the direction you're turning, and that's about it.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Which side of valve shim clearance is it better to err on the side of. When I put in a 2.45 I can't get a .1mm feeler in, but I can get a .08mm in easy. When I switch to a 2.50 shim, I can't get my .04mm(smallest) feeler in. .08-.03mm is the manual specification for clearance.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Go to the loose side. Loose clearances rob power but wont do anything else. tight ones cause hard starting and eventually potential valve to piston contact. They tighten up over time, so always go loose.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlueBayou posted:

Ssooooo any advice for my first time having a passenger? She used to have a bike and is pretty tiny.. but Im still pretty nervous. I was thinking about letting her have a quick go on the bike first to get a feel for it even though Ill be doing the driving when the time comes.

Done it a few times, never liked it, but the impression I got was that it just takes practice to get used to. There were a few other tips I heard to give to the passenger, like don't put your feet down when stopped, don't shift around in corners, always get on and off the bike when the driver is on it first and is stable with feet down.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

PestiferousTrollop posted:

Which side of valve shim clearance is it better to err on the side of. When I put in a 2.45 I can't get a .1mm feeler in, but I can get a .08mm in easy. When I switch to a 2.50 shim, I can't get my .04mm(smallest) feeler in. .08-.03mm is the manual specification for clearance.

It seems like you're doing a GS500 valve adjustment, i've read that even going looser than .08 is fine since Suzuki specifies some really tight clearances, i've heard up to .12 is fine.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Hi All,

I left my '99 1100 REX at my buddy's house over the winter with the understanding that he would start it once a week for 10 min and I would buy him a case.

I went back last weekend to check up on him and the relay was shot, it looked like it had a exploded a little and smelled burnt. Needless to say my friend is only getting a 6 pack. He won't admit it but my guess is that it had some trouble starting it so he either kept going and blew the relay or hooked it up to his car and tried that. Either way, I replaced it this weekend and now the bike only makes a single click when trying to start. Battery reads 12.7 volts and all the fuses look good. I haven't gotten around to checking the starter chain, but thats a probability too as it doesn't crank at all.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Expound on "the relay" a little. Your bike probably has half a dozen. Solenoid maybe?

Take your volt meter and see if you get 12v to the cable connection on the starter when you push the starter button. If yes, then your starter is bad/dieing.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Thanks to all the people who answered my sprocket teeth questions earlier in the thread. Moved to a 14T/42T this weekend and holy poo poo it's the best money I've spent on my bike by far.

It is so much calmer at low RPM, and I'm using 6th a lot more too.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Alright, so I'm rebuilding an old GL1000 and I need new coils. I pick up a set of Accel super coils on eBay thinking them to be the 3 ohm ones (140403) since the bike they came off was spec'd for those, but I probably should've asked because it turns out they're .7 ohm (140404). I don't know dick about electrical systems, but I'm pretty sure that's gonna fry my ignition. My brother, who is an engineer (but not an electrical engineer) and a fairly competent mechanic says it's no problem, we'll just use those and throw a 2 ohm resistor in there and it should all be fine. I need a second opinion, though.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
I'm pretty sure your brother is right. A 2ohm ballast resistor should be fine, just make sure you use one with a high enough wattage. 25w should be fine, even better if you can bolt it to the frame to use it as a heat sink.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
What do you guys thing about a Yamaha R6 as a first bike? It's not for me, but a friend is looking at getting one. I read on here that you should keep your first bike under 80 hp or so, but the Yamaha R6 is about 100 hp.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

obso posted:

I'm pretty sure your brother is right. A 2ohm ballast resistor should be fine, just make sure you use one with a high enough wattage. 25w should be fine, even better if you can bolt it to the frame to use it as a heat sink.

That's good to hear. It'll be closerr to the 2.2 or 2.4 the factory ones had, also, which is good I guess?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Koth posted:

What do you guys thing about a Yamaha R6 as a first bike? It's not for me, but a friend is looking at getting one. I read on here that you should keep your first bike under 80 hp or so, but the Yamaha R6 is about 100 hp.

Heh

Best idea nothing can go wrong.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just so happens I saw this put really eloquently today:

http://i.imgur.com/ptK9S.gif

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Shut up pussies, tell him to get an R1. They're way more tame on the highway and don't bog down when you carry girls on the back.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Spiffness posted:

Yeah, that goes along with everything I've read so far. I'm pretty sure he won't listen to me, though, judging by his "grow a pair" comment after I cautioned him.

It doesn't help that he has another friend who started out on a 1200 and now rides a 1690cc. I don't know what kind of bikes he had, because those were the only specs he listed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Koth posted:

Yeah, that goes along with everything I've read so far. I'm pretty sure he won't listen to me, though, judging by his "grow a pair" comment after I cautioned him.

It doesn't help that he has another friend who started out on a 1200 and now rides a 1690cc. I don't know what kind of bikes he had, because those were the only specs he listed.

Even money is he started on a sportster 1200. It makes like half the power of an R6, so tell your friend to buy one of those instead. Obviously a 1200 is faster.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Spiffness posted:

I'm nitpicking, but that says that any bike with two or less cylinders displacing equal to or less than 750cc would be an excellent beginner's bike. Can you imagine a beginner on a 690 SMC on "Race" fuel map? I could have sworn we had a member on here that could tell us more about what it feels like to ride such a friendly beginner bike a distance of...say...six inches?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Koth posted:

gently caress NO

An R6 has nearly as much horsepower as my car and weighs ten times less. Not only does it put out over 100hp, but all 600cc inline four motorcycles have incredibly nonlinear powerbands. What does that mean? That means, the bike produces nearly no power until about 9,000rpm, and then ALL of the power comes at once. The acceleration force will literally throw you off the motorcycle if you aren't expecting it. The brakes, ESPECIALLY on an R6, are powerful enough to throw you off the seat USING TWO FINGERS. If you grab a handful of brake in a panic situation it's probably going to tuck the front (if you're lucky), or launch you flying into the air (if you're unlucky).

An R6 is a race bike with lights and a horn. It doesn't matter how "careful" you are. I put 16,000 miles on a Ninja 250 as my first bike. My R6 is my second bike, and to this day it still does poo poo that I'm not expecting. If I hadn't put all of those miles on that little bike, I wouldn't know how to properly handle a motorcycle and I can count numerous times where I would have crashed.

Example: One day I was just cruising down the highway in the left lane and my exit was coming up. I needed to get over, so I dropped down a gear and started accelerating to pass the car on my right (on the interstate it's much safer to pass than to brake and hope the person behind you doesn't turn you into a hood ornament). As I was accelerating I hit the powerband. That in itself was to be expected and was fine and dandy. However, due to how hard the bike was accelerating, the front wheel was extremely light (but still on the ground). I went over a small imperfection in the road (went over a bridge) and my handlebars started shaking violently out of control. If I had tried to hold on tighter to stop it (which is what most new rides would do), it would have made the shaking even more violent and would have thrown me off the bike at 80mph.

I had the throttle open about half way.

If he starts on that R6 (or ZX, or GSXR, or CBR), BEST CASE he's always going to be a bad rider because he won't be able to form proper riding habits. Probable case he's going to sell it because he's too scared of the power or he's going to crash it because he thinks he can handle the power. Worse case he's going to kill himself.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

Even money is he started on a sportster 1200. It makes like half the power of an R6, so tell your friend to buy one of those instead. Obviously a 1200 is faster.

Yeah, it was a Sportster.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Let the kid buy it. When he wrecks it, buy it cheap and fix it. Welcome to the world of motorcycling. No forum is going to change the mind of some kid you know so we might as well all not argue about it. You're gonna ruffle the feathers of the "we ride 600's but you can't ride 600's til you've ridden a 250 for 34 years" crowd.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

some bag of mouldy cocks stopped at a green arrow in front of me yesterday and i dropped the ER5 on its left side in surprise bending the left rear shock. The mechanic says they are rare and expensive. Is this bullshit? Is it easy to replace shocks yourself. I imagine it is.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm nitpicking, but that says that any bike with two or less cylinders displacing equal to or less than 750cc would be an excellent beginner's bike. Can you imagine a beginner on a 690 SMC on "Race" fuel map? I could have sworn we had a member on here that could tell us more about what it feels like to ride such a friendly beginner bike a distance of...say...six inches?

You are nitpicking. You are also correct. As a simple: Send this to some asshat and then walk away feeling like you've done all you can, link... I'll be keeping it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The more I read around here, the more and more I start to think maybe a GL1000 wasn't a good choice for a first bike. It's no sport bike, but it is pretty heavy, and decently powerful. It isn't like I've never ridden before, but I certainly wouldn't call myself experienced. I may sell this thing and trade down to a smaller bike when I'm finished with it afterall.