Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SynMoo posted:

I'm going to take some in car video today of the 2010+ MS3's torque steer in a large parking lot. Maybe someone with a Gen1 could do the same? Would be interesting to compare.

Mine seems to do it the most in 2nd, Mazda limited boost pretty hard in 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

It'll be a big parking lot. :D

Err.. closed course with a professional driver.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

SynMoo posted:

I'm going to take some in car video today of the 2010+ MS3's torque steer in a large parking lot. Maybe someone with a Gen1 could do the same? Would be interesting to compare.

Jeremy Clarkson did this while reviewing either a Speed3 or Speed6, can't remember. He's driving on their lot, mentions he's going to floor it and takes his hand off the wheel. You then get to see him lose his nerve shortly after and grab the steering wheel back. I thought I saw it on youtube but right now all I can find is idiots pretending to be him.

If I can find a willing victim volunteer in my group of friends, I have a Gen1 I can use for this. I'm assuming just from first or second gear?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sublime Process posted:

Jeremy Clarkson did this while reviewing either a Speed3 or Speed6, can't remember. He's driving on their lot, mentions he's going to floor it and takes his hand off the wheel. You then get to see him lose his nerve shortly after and grab the steering wheel back. I thought I saw it on youtube but right now all I can find is idiots pretending to be him.

If I can find a willing victim volunteer in my group of friends, I have a Gen1 I can use for this. I'm assuming just from first or second gear?

He does it when he reviews the Focus RS, I don't think I've ever seen a MPS on Top Gear.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They had the Mazda6 MPS on Top Gear, but it wasn't the main focus of the review. They did laugh at how badly it trounced the equivalently-priced BMW 3er and I think it was actually the quickest of the bunch around the track, but I can't remember for the life of me what the other cars they tested with it were.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

They did a brief news bit on the MPS3 to some boring stock footage of it, you can find it on YouTube

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Bovine Delight posted:

He does it when he reviews the Focus RS, I don't think I've ever seen a MPS on Top Gear.

It may have been the RS - I recall he was testing 3 hatches. A beefed STi, the RS and a Volvo with 400hp fwd right?

IOwnCalculus posted:

They had the Mazda6 MPS on Top Gear, but it wasn't the main focus of the review. They did laugh at how badly it trounced the equivalently-priced BMW 3er and I think it was actually the quickest of the bunch around the track, but I can't remember for the life of me what the other cars they tested with it were.

This is true - because they had their little chart to show how much better priced, acceleration, etc. the MS6 had compared to the 3 series. They also showed some pretty nice sideways action with the car, if I recall correctly.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

As promised:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bq0FFsXpuI

Yes, I hit the rev limit in 1st. I was too busy watching where I was going.

I didn't get to do a full 2nd gear pull, the Walmart parking lot closed course wasn't large enough. But I did get to peak torque so I suppose it was a good enough demo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sublime Process posted:

This is true - because they had their little chart to show how much better priced, acceleration, etc. the MS6 had compared to the 3 series. They also showed some pretty nice sideways action with the car, if I recall correctly.

I'm dying to put my new 6 sideways but to much of a pansy to actually do it.

Anyways, looks like this is the suspension I'm going with
http://www.streetunit.com/BC_Coilover_Kit_Mazda6_p/bc-n-01.htm

I've talked to about 5 guys who have it on their car and they love them. Has a pretty decent review record as well and the price is excellent.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 16, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Please report back on your experience. I picked up a replacement filter from the dealership a few weeks ago, but I haven't had the time to dive into replacing it. I was going to follow this youtube walkthrough-- unless there's some info in the FSM that is pertinent to it, that this guy doesn't cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKhVXslh6Is

I just finished putting it in. I didn't take out the glove compartment, and I think honestly it's a bit excessive. If you've got big hands or are generally big, you might want to do it to give yourself some more room. I'm skinny with small hands, and I was able to work in there just fine with the glove box in.

Some tips I learned
- Most of the writeups don't say to disconnect the battery, you should do this. I figure it wouldn't be a big deal but halfway through disconnecting the wiring harnesses my wipers started going. I disconnected the battery and finished, everything was good after that, no CEL or anything afterwards.

- The writeups say to remove the bracket that the fuse box is mounted to. My bracket was riveted to the actual floorboard, so I couldn't completely get the bracket out of the way. I could wiggle it and maneuver it, so I had to make do. I completely removed the fuse box, there are only 5 wiring harnesses attached to it, and it's pretty bulky.

- Don't bother to remove the black sensor on the cabin air filter cover. I did this, it's just extra work to reinstall it.

- You seriously almost need 3 hands to slide in the filters.

Here is what my filters looked like after 40k. I picked up the car at 13k, so I doubt they were replaced before.

Filters:

They were pretty nasty, you can't tell from the pics, but there is junk smashed up all over the filter.

Bonus for the Digital Fit mats:

They own. They look rather washed out in the pics, but they are just dirty.

Edit: I installed the Fram FreshBreeze filters w/ active carbon and all that jazz. I'll report back if I can notice any difference.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 17, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't looked into how to do it in a long time but I actually want to put in a cabin air filter since one did not come with my car. I think it's possible with the right combination of parts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just came back from a local Auto-X meet where I got to meet Tone and Brain Issues in person. Real cool guys with nice cars and drat do I regret not driving now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I also autocrossed mine today. Had a loving blast, and discovered that despite being FWD, the car is surprisingly neutral near the limits once you're moving in the upper ranges of second instead of the lower revs. I never turned off the DSC but I don't think it was kicking in much, I could feel the rear trying to step out on me a little in some of the longer turns.

The Kumho Ecsta LEs did alright, but they weren't really meant for four ~85 second long autocross runs in 90 degree weather. They were getting pretty greasy by the end of the last run.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I had DSC turned off, and I had huge amounts of understeer. Think I might get a beefy rear sway bar. I had DSC turned on for 1 of my runs and I think it slowed me down by a lot. 4 seconds.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You should hold down the DSC button when you are starting the car until the DSC Off light comes on AND the little car losing control light is on as well.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Bovine Delight posted:

You should hold down the DSC button when you are starting the car until the DSC Off light comes on AND the little car losing control light is on as well.

I've tried that several times now on my car (2011) and it doesn't do anything. The little car light still turns off once the car starts but the "DSC off" light will be on.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

I've tried that several times now on my car (2011) and it doesn't do anything. The little car light still turns off once the car starts but the "DSC off" light will be on.

How long are you holding it? On my 08, I have to hold the button for around 5-6 seconds until all the other lights go off, the DSC off light and the car out of control lights are still on.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Bovine Delight posted:

How long are you holding it? On my 08, I have to hold the button for around 5-6 seconds until all the other lights go off, the DSC off light and the car out of control lights are still on.

I've held for up to 20 seconds before turning the key and it still stays off. I think that they changed it on the newer models. The DSC off button seems to turn it completely off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

I had DSC turned off, and I had huge amounts of understeer. Think I might get a beefy rear sway bar. I had DSC turned on for 1 of my runs and I think it slowed me down by a lot. 4 seconds.

What was your best time overall?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

What was your best time overall?

Ended up getting 60.1

I was pretty happy with that, but I wanted to get under 60 really bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

Ended up getting 60.1

I was pretty happy with that, but I wanted to get under 60 really bad.

Dude that's excellent. Most of the Miata guys were getting higher than that in the first wave. And you beat that Chevelle!

Edit: My friend Lyse took a shitload of pictures.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 18, 2011

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Dude that's excellent. Most of the Miata guys were getting higher than that in the first wave. And you beat that Chevelle!

Edit: My friend Lyse took a shitload of pictures.

Thats awesome! :) Do they have any more of us?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's everything from her first album worth, she may have more.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Looking good guys. I hope to get in on an upcoming event here.

PS. Ilyse should kick up the shutter speed a few notches for the panning shots.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Anyone know about colder plugs being required for an AccessPort? I keep reading mixed opinions and it's making my paranoid rear end go nuts. :smith:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bovine Delight posted:

I just finished putting it in. I didn't take out the glove compartment, and I think honestly it's a bit excessive. If you've got big hands or are generally big, you might want to do it to give yourself some more room. I'm skinny with small hands, and I was able to work in there just fine with the glove box in.

Some tips I learned
- Most of the writeups don't say to disconnect the battery, you should do this. I figure it wouldn't be a big deal but halfway through disconnecting the wiring harnesses my wipers started going. I disconnected the battery and finished, everything was good after that, no CEL or anything afterwards.

- The writeups say to remove the bracket that the fuse box is mounted to. My bracket was riveted to the actual floorboard, so I couldn't completely get the bracket out of the way. I could wiggle it and maneuver it, so I had to make do. I completely removed the fuse box, there are only 5 wiring harnesses attached to it, and it's pretty bulky.

- Don't bother to remove the black sensor on the cabin air filter cover. I did this, it's just extra work to reinstall it.

- You seriously almost need 3 hands to slide in the filters.

Here is what my filters looked like after 40k. I picked up the car at 13k, so I doubt they were replaced before.

Filters:

They were pretty nasty, you can't tell from the pics, but there is junk smashed up all over the filter.

Bonus for the Digital Fit mats:

They own. They look rather washed out in the pics, but they are just dirty.

Edit: I installed the Fram FreshBreeze filters w/ active carbon and all that jazz. I'll report back if I can notice any difference.

Cool! How long do you think it took you to do? I probably won't have time to try it for another week or two. :(

I did install my DigitalFit floormats earlier today. I haven't driven with them in yet, but they do appear to fit well. So far I'm pleased with them.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Here's everything from her first album worth, she may have more.

This rules, be sure to thank your friend. It was good meeting you guys too, if you ever wanna caravan to a future event or need help wrenching on your cars shoot me a PM.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Cool! How long do you think it took you to do? I probably won't have time to try it for another week or two. :(

I did install my DigitalFit floormats earlier today. I haven't driven with them in yet, but they do appear to fit well. So far I'm pleased with them.

Right at an hour. I imagine I could do it in around 30 minutes now that I know where everything goes.

The passenger side mat will ride up whenever someone gets in for awhile, but once it gets broken in it will stay in position more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

This rules, be sure to thank your friend. It was good meeting you guys too, if you ever wanna caravan to a future event or need help wrenching on your cars shoot me a PM.

Well it just so happens that I have this new suspension setup on the way here...

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Well it just so happens that I have this new suspension setup on the way here...

I'm down to help you with that too. Let us know.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

On my 2010 MS3 I put on H&R springs and got a 75 duro rear motor mount from CP-e.com, I have almost no steering problems now and the car feels like it's on a rail.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Black Is Black posted:

On my 2010 MS3 I put on H&R springs and got a 75 duro rear motor mount from CP-e.com, I have almost no steering problems now and the car feels like it's on a rail.

Almost no steering problems? What problems did you have before and what problems do you still have?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Black Is Black posted:

What steering problems did you have before?

BEATEN

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Here's a shot of my DigitalFit floormats. I couldn't get a shot of the rear with my cellphone camera because the lighting wasn't so great. Fit seems pretty good. The rear's were a little creased from being folded up in the box, but some massaging got them to fit really well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Here's a shot of my DigitalFit floormats. I couldn't get a shot of the rear with my cellphone camera because the lighting wasn't so great. Fit seems pretty good. The rear's were a little creased from being folded up in the box, but some massaging got them to fit really well.

Now your first gen GT looks boss. What color is yours?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
It's black mica and it's impossible to keep clean. I can't wait until I'm out of school and can get a place with a garage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

It's black mica and it's impossible to keep clean. I can't wait until I'm out of school and can get a place with a garage.

Yeah, I have the same color. My house is being built though, so I should have a garage in around 3 months or so. Then I can tinker to my heart's content.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've always kept a fire extinguisher in my cars. With my 240 it was easy just to leave it on the floor of the back behind one of the seats and it didn't move around, but there's not a similar place to put one in the MS3. Have any of you guys considered doing this? If so, how do you mount it or keep it in place?

I've found a few sites that sell mounts that attach the fire extinguisher to the seat/seat rails and so the extinguisher sits a little forward and below of the passenger seat and doesn't impede the movement of the seat. These sites are mostly selling them for Porsches and Miatas. Though, this guy does sell a universal mount. Here's one example:

Thoughts? I get nervous laughs from friends who see the extinguisher, but I would rather have one available if I ever really need it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

MetaJew posted:

How much did they run you if you don't mind me asking? There's a dealer here that gives discounts on OEM parts, so I might spring for the All-Weather ones, but I wouldn't mind picking those up if they cost less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

air- posted:

How much did they run you if you don't mind me asking? There's a dealer here that gives discounts on OEM parts, so I might spring for the All-Weather ones, but I wouldn't mind picking those up if they cost less.

They were pretty pricey at $187, after shipping. ($169+ $18 shipping) I ordered them directly from Weathertech's website and I was not able to find any coupon codes. There are some dealers on Amazon that you can purchase from, but the price was marked up so that it cost just as much to order from that seller. I don't recall if I could've used Amazon Prime or not, but I decided it wasn't really worth it.

I justified the cost in that I really hate getting my car filthy, these seem easy to clean, and they isolate the footwells pretty well. I had also won and sold a pair of NASCAR tickets for a race a few weekends ago that ate the majority of the cost.

If you can justify the cost, I'd go for it.