Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

PT6A posted:

What will it take for these hammerheads to start looking at Fords again?

Having recalls of millions of vehicles no longer appearing in the news would be a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

RockSmart posted:

It really is an amazing machine. I'm stuck on a poo poo assignment for my last year in the Navy, but driving to/from work has become the best part of my day. I'm pretty picky too, but I was able to find one with every option I wanted and only one I didn't (19 inch wheels) without much effort. I never take my Nano out of it, and I'm satisfied but not amazed with the iPod integration. It's "good enough".

I quickly ditched the iPod and just went with a 16GB USB stick. The start up time is /so/ much faster now that the car doesn't have to wait for the iPod to boot and all that.

However, I've used a bunch of other iPod integration systems (BMW OE and aftermarket, Pioneer, etc), and the Sync beats them all. Pioneer's AVIC would allow search by voice, but it would drop the iPod about 25% of the time. The BMW systems have the same slow boot and drop out issues but minus the voice controls.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Muwahahaha!

What? A glide can be built to handle more horsepower than you'll ever want to make. The downside to a glide is only having 2 gears, not its power handling potential. Weird that they would tell you that. I'm guessing they just wanted you to not go with a 2 speed tranny in a car that will see street use.

You must be paying a lot for labor and freight. A 1200hp capable TH400 runs around $2500 and the converter should be around $1500.

Get your transmission from Extreme Automatics and your converter from Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts. Extreme builds a drat fine piece at a great price that will last for hundreds of passes before needing to be refreshed and Lenny is the best converter man in the business, period.

Edit: I didn't want to point this out, but I will. You can get an automatic with a clutch if you want. Think automatic transmission without the converter. They handle the horsepower of an automatic but use a clutch to shift and modulate stall.

This is all awesome information as usual. I'm not sure what they're planning for it but when he calls today I'll ask what's up.

I don't know what it was about the PowerGlide. MAYBE to get one that handles all the boost? (the car is going to see street use eh, once a month probably for 3 miles round trip to cruise nights. Can't afford gas for the street at this point in it.) I know ATI makes some that can handle a ton of HP but the jump from a 1300 HP to higher is pretty big.

Maybe it has something to do with nearly 30# of boost and almost all of it starting around 5000 RPM? I have no idea.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The bad tranny issues are coming to a boil:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5792482/faulty-chinese+built-transmissions-plague-new-ford-mustang
It seems like at least Ford is being somewhat responsive about it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

The bad tranny issues are coming to a boil:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5792482/faulty-chinese+built-transmissions-plague-new-ford-mustang
It seems like at least Ford is being somewhat responsive about it.

Was just about to post this. Anyone here having this problem?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It looks like to me Getrag going bankrupt is effecting transmission quality. Superior German ownership cannot overcome exhausted wage slave Chinese workers and bad material suppliers. Surely someone offers a Tremec replacement kit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Unless ford gets a handle on this in an incredible hurry, the decision to source major build components through China is going to undo them.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My father just bought a 2012 Kona Blue GT Premium today.

I am suddenly a lot closer to my father.

*E* Like, holy poo poo. This car. :aaa:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ordered my car 3+ weeks ago and still waiting...

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

KidDynamite posted:

Was just about to post this. Anyone here having this problem?
Mine is rough on 1->2 and a little bit on 2->3, but it's not too bad. It goes away after the car warms up a little; though it still does it if you shift while going around a corner. It only happens for me while the car is moving. But yeah, some people's transmissions are just flat-out broken.

It seems like it's not just a single problem either. Some people have had luck just swapping out the transmission fluid (Ford's official TSB fix). Some people have had loose bolts in the clutch assembly replaced. Some people have had synchros replaced. Some people have replaced the shifter. Some people have had the entire transmission replaced. One guy removed his transmission and installed some hand-made shims to get things to line up correctly.

Things are getting ugly on that 2700 post thread mentioned in the article -- people are starting Lemon Law legal proceedings. Ford seems either unwilling or unable to provide a real solution.

Here's where frozenphil gets to say "They did provide a real solution. It's called an automatic. :smug:"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Presto posted:

Ford seems either unwilling or unable to provide a real solution.

Unable, maybe. They seem willing enough to post on the ground floor of a 2700 reply thread, though. That's pretty impressive.

No Mazda rep ever posted in AI.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Make fun of the T5 all you want, but it's served us well for 30 years :colbert:

Anyway, I have a question. My '07 has developed a chirping sound when the blower is on. It varies with blower speed; it's slow on 1, annoying on 2, and fast enough that it's not really noticeable on 3 and 4. If I rev the engine it will change a bit. I changed the cabin filter and although it was dirty as poo poo, it didn't fix the issue. So it's either the blower motor or the resistor. How do I tell which one? Because it varies with engine speed (and thus alternator output) I'm tempted to think it's just the resistor, but maybe that's wishful thinking because it's cheap.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Automatics look like crap in Mustangs :colbert:

Hopefully they'll fix this problem soon, and maybe with all the inflation going on in China companies like Ford and Getrag will think twice about doing joint-ventures there. It's not that Chinese firms can't make quality products (look at Apple), it's just that there are several issues involved in getting them to make quality products (time difference, subcontracting), and the savings companies realized maybe 5-10 years ago by doing things in China aren't as huge now. Wired had a nice article about it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Killbot posted:

Hopefully they'll fix this problem soon, and maybe with all the inflation going on in China companies like Ford and Getrag will think twice about doing joint-ventures there. It's not that Chinese firms can't make quality products (look at Apple), it's just that there are several issues involved in getting them to make quality products (time difference, subcontracting), and the savings companies realized maybe 5-10 years ago by doing things in China aren't as huge now. Wired had a nice article about it.

Apple, with the non-functioning antennas?

Or the fact that apparently the only way they can lubricate their factory is with the blood of their employees?

Man, gently caress China.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Killbot posted:

I think it depends how much you drive the car. If it's a weekend cruiser you have to go with the Manuel but if you're driving it every day I would go with the automatic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I think it depends how much you drive the car. If it's a weekend cruiser you have to go with the Manuel but if you're driving it every day I would go with the automatic.

My current daily driver requires far more shifts, and is a much larger pain in the rear end in traffic than any manual mustang could be, and i would still pick manual in either situation. Shifting becomes second nature and your right arm has a far better idea of what gear you want to be in than what an automatic transmission can decipher through the gas pedal.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mcmagic posted:

So you're saying you want the transmission to be made in Mexico instead?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

If the alternative is China? Absolutely.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

iwentdoodie posted:

The Ford Fusion has some of the best reliability ratings in the industry and it's made in Mexico so v:shobon:v

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I believe he was making a joke about the "manuel" transmission.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

A.o.D. posted:

If the alternative is China? Absolutely.

Sigh.

It was a joke based on the fact that he spelled it manuel, instead of manual.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There were earlier posts about swapping a Tremec in, so maybe that's what you meant?

Anyway reading the links posted it seems the problem is with the design of the shift linkage, not with the guts of the trans itself.

EDIT: There's a link in that thread about similar problems with the GT500 too (Tremec TR6060). I guess you guys should have bought M3s after all, it's the only way to be sure. v:downs:v

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 16, 2011

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Sigh.

It was a joke based on the fact that he spelled it manuel, instead of manual.

yes, yes yes, I know. I'm just really into shaking my fist pointlessly at manufacturing that's been outsourced to China. :argh:

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Apple, with the non-functioning antennas?

Or the fact that apparently the only way they can lubricate their factory is with the blood of their employees?

Man, gently caress China.

Wasn't that a design flaw, though? The phone wasn't designed in China.

It's really nothing new. Korea used to make shoes. Then the companies jumped to Vietnam. Then they jumped to China. They'll jump again to farm work to people who don't want televisions.

The Tremecs had issues of their own. Apparently more than a few of them didn't have lubed synchros, which would cause them to grind in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

I'm reading a lot of revenge-posts by M3 owners/fans. They must be real butthurt over the 5.0 threatening their Ultimate Driving Machines.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 16, 2011

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Powershift posted:

I believe he was making a joke about the "manuel" transmission.

It was awful but at least one person got it.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Throatwarbler posted:

There were earlier posts about swapping a Tremec in, so maybe that's what you meant?

Anyway reading the links posted it seems the problem is with the design of the shift linkage, not with the guts of the trans itself.

EDIT: There's a link in that thread about similar problems with the GT500 too (Tremec TR6060). I guess you guys should have bought M3s after all, it's the only way to be sure. v:downs:v

While the GT500's have been having transmission problems themselves, they are more of a design issue than a quality issue. The GT500's are having issues shifting into 2nd gear during quick, WOT shifts at high rpms. It seems to be due to the fact that while at load, the obscene amounts of torque are causing the engine/transmission to shift over and the resultant shifter placement is making it difficult to properly engage second gear.

Fixes are along the lines of making sure you've backed off the throttle enough when you shift, pausing before jamming into second, installing a MGW shifter or using a WOTBOX to cut the ignition when you shift.

Second gear on Tremec T56's and TR6060's has always been difficult anyhow. My c5Z06 never liked second, same with my dad's C6Z06 and my uncles SRT10 viper. I've been hearing similar complaints from Camaro owners as well.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 17, 2011

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

OrganizedEntropy posted:

While the GT500's have been having transmission problems themselves, they are more of a design issue than a quality issue. The GT500's are having issues shifting into 2nd gear during quick, WOT shifts at high rpms. It seems to be due to the fact that while at load, the obscene amounts of torque are causing the engine/transmission to shift over and the resultant shifter placement is making it difficult to properly engage second gear.

Fixes are along the lines of making sure you've backed off the throttle enough when you shift, pausing before jamming into second, installing a MGW shifter or using a WOTBOX to cut the ignition when you shift.

Second gear on Tremec T56's and TR6060's has always been difficult anyhow. My c5Z06 never liked second, same with my dad's C6Z06 and my uncles SRT10 viper. I've been hearing similar complaints from Camaro owners as well.

This post actually eased my mind today. I'd been wondering in the back of my mind for a while if my GT500's transmission was going to catastrophically fail, but I forgot to take into account the fact that it's the Getrags having all the problems, not the Tremecs. Although, I'm also glad you posted the fixes in case I ever run into a hard 1-2 shift issue.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Presto posted:

Ford seems either unwilling or unable to provide a real solution.

This is basically Ford mumbling and looking at it's shoes while the engineers are in a back room desperately trying to come up with a real fix.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Some companies sell braces and other parts that attempt to limit the twisting of the transmission. The 5-speed Tremec has this problem too, resulting in the infamous "third gear lockout" under WOT.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Presto posted:

Here's where frozenphil gets to say "They did provide a real solution. It's called an automatic. :smug:"
I got 99 problems but a clutch ain't one.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Presto posted:

Mine is rough on 1->2 and a little bit on 2->3, but it's not too bad. It goes away after the car warms up a little; though it still does it if you shift while going around a corner. It only happens for me while the car is moving. But yeah, some people's transmissions are just flat-out broken.

It seems like it's not just a single problem either. Some people have had luck just swapping out the transmission fluid (Ford's official TSB fix). Some people have had loose bolts in the clutch assembly replaced. Some people have had synchros replaced. Some people have replaced the shifter. Some people have had the entire transmission replaced. One guy removed his transmission and installed some hand-made shims to get things to line up correctly.

Things are getting ugly on that 2700 post thread mentioned in the article -- people are starting Lemon Law legal proceedings. Ford seems either unwilling or unable to provide a real solution.

Same on mine. This winter was unbearable though when the car first started I need to go straight 1-4 before the car warmed up a bit.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
In case anybody is interested, Ford had an awesome weekend at Long Beach by taking both the overall victory and the GT and GTS class wins. Brandon Davis drove his Ford Mustang Cobra to the Overall and GT Class victory with Paul Brown in his Mustang Boss 302S being awarded 1st in GTS class after Jason von Kluge’s Boss 302S failed post-race inspection. Ford took 4 of the top 5 finishing positions in GTS with Brown in first, Crosland in a FR500S inheriting second, Cunningham in an Acura TSX in third, followed by Adams and Cole in their FR500S Mustangs. The race replay is a good watch with lots of action, worth a look at for sure. You can find it at http://www.world-challengetv.com/ on the front page.

On the current topic of transmission problems in this thread; Brown's transmission let go on the second to last corner on the last lap, which allowed von Kluge to pass him because he only had 1st and 4th gear at that point. Irony at it's finest? v:shobon:v

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
That was some fantastic racing all around, especially that last lap with Brown and von Kluge.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

:goleft:

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

In case anybody is interested, Ford had an awesome weekend at Long Beach by taking both the overall victory and the GT and GTS class wins. Brandon Davis drove his Ford Mustang Cobra to the Overall and GT Class victory with Paul Brown in his Mustang Boss 302S being awarded 1st in GTS class after Jason von Kluge’s Boss 302S failed post-race inspection. Ford took 4 of the top 5 finishing positions in GTS with Brown in first, Crosland in a FR500S inheriting second, Cunningham in an Acura TSX in third, followed by Adams and Cole in their FR500S Mustangs. The race replay is a good watch with lots of action, worth a look at for sure. You can find it at http://www.world-challengetv.com/ on the front page.

On the current topic of transmission problems in this thread; Brown's transmission let go on the second to last corner on the last lap, which allowed von Kluge to pass him because he only had 1st and 4th gear at that point. Irony at it's finest? v:shobon:v

Any way to find some specs on those 'stangs? Especially Brendon Davis' monster.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

RockSmart posted:

Any way to find some specs on those 'stangs? Especially Brendon Davis' monster.

Here you go. They run around $134k directly through the Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

Here you go. They run around $134k directly through the Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog.

Thanks! I improved my google-fu and found these articles on the ACS/Sun Microsystems mustang that took GT class.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2009/10/09/a-closer-look-at-brandon-davis-acs-express-ford-mustang/

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_arti...tang-cobra.aspx

It's heavily customized - 5.4 L ford racing crate engine, live axle swapped for a double wishbone, firewall/engine moved back, etc. There's a guy bitching in there that it's got no place racing in World Challenge. I dunno, it was pretty tight with that Viper, and I bet his tires were getting hammered.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KidDynamite posted:

For all you guys talking about buying. How come you aren't just using truecar? It's showing me right now a '11 GT for 26,835 base. Do truecars deals not hold up if you don't have good credit?

So I tried to use Truecar. It seems to fall out where you'd want it the most -- cars that don't have much negotiation budge. None of the dealerships that honored whatever deal Truecar offered could actually order a Boss, so it was no different from what I already did -- contacting dealers at random to see if they could.

e: fffff, it's so righteous looking:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/04/19/how-one-lucky-mustang-enthusiast-bought-boss-302-0001/

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 19, 2011

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

God dammit, I wish I had a real job...gently caress gradschool...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

frozenphil posted:

Ford is awesome and is now at the top of my car companies to work for after graduation list just for kickass stuff like that.