Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I bought the sequel without having played the original, played it for about an hour and have not touched it since. Supposedly the original is really great, I'd still be a tad wary of it probably having aged awfully though. Old 2D games are often fine but early 3D is pretty awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Paperhouse posted:

Old 2D games are often fine but early 3D is pretty awful

Did you ever play "Ultima: Underworld"? That was a head-ache inducing game. The awesome RPG mechanics were there, just the transition to 3D was before its time.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Legend of Legaia is legit. The graphics to me have that sort of so out dated its warped back around to "charming" feel to them. The over world sprites are SD and the battle ones are fairly decent for the time. It helps that most of the enemies are... bio robots or whatever the seru were supposed to be which makes the whole polygonal thing easier to swallow. Whats really great about it is the battle system. You get 4 standard attacks up down left and right. You can chain those into arts say "left up up" does an flip kick or something. But if you chain your arts right say you have one art thats left up up and another thats up up down down you can input left up up down down and it pulls off both arts. On top of that different weapons had different input sizes on the bar. You could get weak weapons that would allow for multiple arts. there was also one big fuckall sword that was essentially the only thing you could use when equipped. Magic was done by kicking the poo poo out of the very seru you were fighting until you absorbed one. You then could level them through use. A nice if not a little odd bitter sweet story. All in all a charming little game.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
So I've started playing Exit Fate due to all the praise it got in this thread I'm enjoying it so far, but I have a couple of questions.

I'm at chapter 4 now, just started, but I still only have around 10 people total on my side, have I not been looking around enough or is this par?

Also, Royston, whats the deal with him? Dudes like 70 and level 1, does he get joke-powerful or something if you train him up?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 12, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How come it's not possible to wear an antipoison ring with the Ruin Mask in Last Scenario? That's disappointing.

edit: THORVE! Why you gotta blueball me bro? Tell me what happened already you depressed jerk.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 13, 2011

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I've got an itch for a traditional class-based RPG, preferably for the DS but possibly also Wii or PC. I'd like one where you "master" classes fairly often and then move on to others. Like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea without the tactical aspect or Dragon Quest 9 but with more frequent "class mastering". I might be forgetting how it plays, but I think Final Fantasy X-2 is the most recent example of that type of game that I've played.

Gilg fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 14, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've been rummaging through old game stores, and I found a copy of Ehrgeiz! You know, the lovely fighter with FFVII characters? Haha, why did I buy this again?

'Quest Mode'

...Right. It's a lovely randomly generated loot game. But why the hell can't I stop playing?

Seriously, though, I have no idea why the hell I've sunk so many hours of my life into this. It's obviously bad, but at the same time I find it compelling and quaint. drat this game.

Edit: vvv It's still pretty bad. The balance is all sorts of messed up, and I don't think I've ever seen the game played with anyone but Cloud/Sephiroth. (I like the cop who inexplicably uses yo-yos. And rocket leg dude.) It kinda suffers from the diseases that plagued early 3D fighters, like clunkiness, messy hit detection, and other wierd stuff. But it's fun for in-person dicking around.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 14, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

S-Alpha posted:

I've been rummaging through old game stores, and I found a copy of Ehrgeiz! You know, the lovely fighter with FFVII characters? Haha, why did I buy this again?

'Quest Mode'

...Right. It's a lovely randomly generated loot game. But why the hell can't I stop playing?

Seriously, though, I have no idea why the hell I've sunk so many hours of my life into this. It's obviously bad, but at the same time I find it compelling and quaint. drat this game.
I remember having a lot of fun with that game tbh, you're right that even though the Quest thing was bad it was somehow very playable. And the fighting was never as bad as some said. I like the guy who shoots rockets from his knee

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gilg posted:

I've got an itch for a traditional class-based RPG, preferably for the DS but possibly also Wii or PC. I'd like one where you "master" classes fairly often and then move on to others. Like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea without the tactical aspect or Dragon Quest 9 but with more frequent "class mastering". I might be forgetting how it plays, but I think Final Fantasy X-2 is the most recent example of that type of game that I've played.

Easiest to find would probably be the Final Fantasy III remake for the DS, methinks.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Gilg posted:

Check out Final Fantasy 5 for GBA. It takes kind of a lot of work to master a class, but you will definitely be switching around often.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I have a DSi, so no GBA for me, but I'll look into Final Fantasy 3. Thanks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone have a save from Last Scenario from where SPOILERS

Tiamat finds the ark?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are there any semi-recent jrpgs where you create or significantly customize the class of your main character at the outset? I seem to remember a few on the SNES but none after that. Seems odd you never see Mass Effect style where the character / personality of the PC is largely set (due to story) but you get to pick the class/skills/combat stuff.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Gilg posted:

I have a DSi, so no GBA for me, but I'll look into Final Fantasy 3. Thanks.
I don't really recommend FF3. It's ok, but really simple, and has a lot of artificial difficulty in the form of cheap enemies and very few save points. You don't really level jobs in any meaningful way, either - there's a cursory job level thing that increases your stats, but I'm pretty sure that you don't learn new spells from increased job level, which makes mastering jobs pretty unrewarding.

Look into Final Fantasy: The Four Warriors of Light, it's not a remake of anything but a modern game with classic-style aesthetics and a very robust class system. The only thing I don't like about it is that your party switches around way too much based on the plot, which makes it hard to get into a groove for more than a couple dungeons, but also ensures you will be switching jobs frequently. It is also difficult, but I feel the difficulty is a bit fairer in this game than in FF3.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I beat Blue Dragon recently, it was pretty cool. Easy as hell aside from a handful of super-powerful enemies I didn't feel like grinding up to gently caress with, though (even the regular optional bosses were easy as hell, aside from the stone dinosaur and that loving poison ghost tree)...

And who doesn't love a game with a boss theme so ridiculous it loops back around to being loving awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Edge Zero posted:

So uh, I just realized I can't remember a speck of plot from Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I think I watched the cutscenes even though the plot was awful. I can only remember that everything was stupid and I had a robot and a catgirl in my party. For some reason I think this is a good thing.

I also can't remember much of Tales of Vesperia. I know I had an awesome dog in my party, there was a fountain that was broken, then way later there was a water dungeon and I think a Sephiroth type guy summoned Meteor at the end and he was really tough because I had accidentally found some items that made him tougher.

I'm not even joking about how badly I can't remember those two games. Hell I can remember the eight hours or so I played of FFXIII pretty clearly, but the plot of those two games escapes me. I know in FFXIII Lightning was very angry and looking for her sister, then she found her sister and everyone became a criminal on the run.

Not remembering the plot from Star Ocean is one thing, since I'm pretty sure I hated everything that wasn't the really fun combat in it, but I don't get why I forgot what happened in Vesperia. Maybe it was just really standard.

ToV is actually a pretty cool subversion of the standard Tales game plot until the third act. It's worth a replay if you have a copy available. Third act turns all lovely and starts pandering to the standard Tales fan with a stock story, though. Blech.

SO4, though? Ick. I actually kind of enjoyed the beginning because it was kind of like this weird Japanese love letter to Star Trek, but then it just got stupid. A massive chunk of the game is devoted to a callback to the first Star Ocean game that has no bearing on the main storyline and exists entirely to have cameos from various places from the first game. It is the biggest locale in the entire game. The characters range from bland, but tolerable to absolute poo poo.

The one and only thing I enjoyed about it is that it explained how Ronixis and Claude kept getting rewarded for disobeying orders and breaking galactic treaties.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I put down Ehrgeiz for a bit, and popped in SaGa Frontier for a bit, since I have my monthly quota of old RPG playtime to hit. Anyways, I started up Red's quest again for the hell of it, and drat, I forgot just how awesome this game was. It's really too bad so drat much of it got shitcanned before implementation. It's in my top twenty RPGs already, but if it were fully completed, I wouldn't be surprised if it hit top five.

Oh, the woes of the game development cycle. Though it is too bad it isn't known better, as it is still quite good for what it is. If lacking in direction at times.

Edit:

The White Dragon posted:

My only problem with the SaGa games is that they're incredibly opaque to the point of unbalancing. People have literally had to datamine it to figure out what goes where in the most basic gameplay aspects ("lightbulb"-ing attacks, determining monster transformations, combo mechanics, stat growth, etc.). Even if you go in knowing what a SaGa game is, it can be really frustrating to do any single one of them blind.

Eh, until my two most recent playthroughs, I still didn't know jack poo poo about Flashing moves, and I've gone through all the GB games blind as a kid. It's hard, to be sure, but I found myself enjoying the trial-and-error progression, especially around the end when you have a wide variety of things to work and experiment with. Though I can see how it would get aggravating, so I'm sure my refreshment at the style is more of a statistical outlier.

Except for the monster bits. gently caress monsters. gently caress Riki's route.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 16, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

S-Alpha posted:

Oh, the woes of the game development cycle. Though it is too bad it isn't known better, as it is still quite good for what it is. If lacking in direction at times.

My only problem with the SaGa games is that they're incredibly opaque to the point of unbalancing. People have literally had to datamine it to figure out what goes where in the most basic gameplay aspects ("lightbulb"-ing attacks, determining monster transformations, combo mechanics, stat growth, etc.). Even if you go in knowing what a SaGa game is, it can be really frustrating to do any single one of them blind.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I don't really recommend FF3. It's ok, but really simple, and has a lot of artificial difficulty in the form of cheap enemies and very few save points. You don't really level jobs in any meaningful way, either - there's a cursory job level thing that increases your stats, but I'm pretty sure that you don't learn new spells from increased job level, which makes mastering jobs pretty unrewarding.

Look into Final Fantasy: The Four Warriors of Light, it's not a remake of anything but a modern game with classic-style aesthetics and a very robust class system. The only thing I don't like about it is that your party switches around way too much based on the plot, which makes it hard to get into a groove for more than a couple dungeons, but also ensures you will be switching jobs frequently. It is also difficult, but I feel the difficulty is a bit fairer in this game than in FF3.

FF3 DS kind of fails due to random crap they through at you like a dungeon that requires you to be mini'd and the last dungeon not having a save point despite being two pretty intense sections, a bunch of bosses, and a rough boss.

I prefer FF5 which is only for the GBA (and PS1), it offers a more in depth job system that works a lot like FFT only with the normal ATS turn based fighting gameplay.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

I beat Blue Dragon recently, it was pretty cool. Easy as hell aside from a handful of super-powerful enemies I didn't feel like grinding up to gently caress with, though (even the regular optional bosses were easy as hell, aside from the stone dinosaur and that loving poison ghost tree)...

And who doesn't love a game with a boss theme so ridiculous it loops back around to being loving awesome:

Didn't the guy from Deep Purple sing this?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a medical mystery posted:

Didn't the guy from Deep Purple sing this?
Jesus Christ.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Oraculum Animi posted:

FF3 DS kind of fails due to random crap they through at you like a dungeon that requires you to be mini'd and the last dungeon not having a save point despite being two pretty intense sections, a bunch of bosses, and a rough boss.

I plowed everything in the game and the Cloud of Darkness killed my party in 2 rounds. I put the game down and never went back...

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
So, I've been playing that Everlong game previously mentioned in this thread. What a miserable slog. I've tried to stick with it, but man is it awful. This game has the longest, most drawn out random battles I have ever seen in a video game. The ATB moves at a snail's pace, and it seems every enemy gets two turns for every 1 turn your party members get. The reason this game supposedly has 100 hours of gameplay is because each random battle seems to take about 3 minutes on average, and dungeons are padded out to be about 2 or 3 times longer than they should be.

Also, my entire party got put to sleep by some mushrooms in a forest and then I got a game over before I could do anything. Apparently this is the only RPG in the history of RPGs where being hit with a physical attack doesn't wake you up from sleep. This game is like an SNES-era Final Fantasy, but with a bunch of frustrating tedious bullshit tacked on.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Alright, I'm convinced. I'll look into playing FF5 Advance. I now remember playing, but not finishing, FF5 in the old days of SNES emulators and fan patches, and it is the kind of game I'm itching for.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

quakster posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'll never associate this boss theme with any other game but Charles Barkley:Shut and Jam Gaiden :colbert:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Coincidentally, the game has one of the best soundtracks ever to be featured in a vidcon.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Verbal posted:

So, I've been playing that Everlong game previously mentioned in this thread. What a miserable slog. I've tried to stick with it, but man is it awful. This game has the longest, most drawn out random battles I have ever seen in a video game. The ATB moves at a snail's pace, and it seems every enemy gets two turns for every 1 turn your party members get. The reason this game supposedly has 100 hours of gameplay is because each random battle seems to take about 3 minutes on average, and dungeons are padded out to be about 2 or 3 times longer than they should be.

Also, my entire party got put to sleep by some mushrooms in a forest and then I got a game over before I could do anything. Apparently this is the only RPG in the history of RPGs where being hit with a physical attack doesn't wake you up from sleep. This game is like an SNES-era Final Fantasy, but with a bunch of frustrating tedious bullshit tacked on.
why are you playing a long, poo poo game? Play something good

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Paperhouse posted:

why are you playing a long, poo poo game? Play something good

I stopped playing it, just wondering why it got so much love in this thread because it is awful.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Verbal posted:

Quick rule of thumb: If a game is made in RPG Maker, it's going to be extremely bad. I can think of maybe a couple exceptions but as a whole you ought to stay away from that whole genre.

Verbal posted:

I stopped playing it, just wondering why it got so much love in this thread because it is awful.
I don't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was just one guy repeatedly hyping it up. And if it wasn't, well, there's no accounting for taste.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 16, 2011

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Lesson learned, RPGMaker sucks balls. Back to getting my rear end handed to me in Etrian Odyssey III.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

U.T. Raptor posted:

Holy poo poo it's Shut Up And Jam :stare:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Quick rule of thumb: If a game is made in RPG Maker, it's going to be extremely bad. I can think of maybe a couple exceptions but as a whole you ought to stay away from that whole genre.

Said exceptions are Exit Fate and Last Scenario (haven't played the latter). If you're looking for a good short indie RPG though, I once again recommend The Spirit Engine 2. Longer, play Exit Fate.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
So I wrote to the guy who wrote this Dragon Age 2 review:

http://calitreview.com/15058

and amongst other things, there was one quote in particular I'd like to share just because it's easily one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. He said this:

quote:

As an RPG, you might feel it has nothing on any of BioWare's previous works. OK fine, that's your opinion, and to some degree, I might even agree. But I can tell you that it is unequivocally better than any JRPG I've played in the last several years, and definitely better than most other Western RPGs.

My head just about exploded. There's no way anyone would actually agree with that statement, is there?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF13 was a better game than DA2, bro.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Endorph posted:

FF13 was a better game than DA2, bro.

Dragon Age 2 was unforgivable, which is why I just can't wrap my head around how someone would say "Yup! Better than like 99% of all the RPG's out in the last several years!"

I just don't understand.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It would be really hard to find a game worse than DA2 or at least more commercially vile. Space Siege maybe?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Node posted:

It would be really hard to find a game worse than DA2 or at least more commercially vile. Space Siege maybe?

Oh my god gently caress that game. I remember playing the demo since I enjoyed Dungeon Seige on some level, and went in with low expectations anyway. It was just awful. Dragon Age 2 would at least be an okay game if it weren't a follow up to Dragon Age. Space Seige wouldn't be a good followup to a virus.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I beat that game, and Space Siege is loving garbage

DO YOU WANT TO THROW AWAY YOUR HUMANITY Y/N?

This is their lauded "choice" for the game? A loving binary input? jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Node posted:

Space Siege and

I got nothing.