Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not entirely a "Wrestling Podcast" thing, but Sklarbro Country at about 51:30 talks about Hulk Hogan's show about teaching midgets to wrestle, which it seems is a thing now. I bring it up because they talk about things like Pastamania and seem to have at least some wrestling knowledge from that era, but seem to have no idea of the things he's doing for (some would say "to") TNA. Just thought that was kind of amusing, and it's a good pod-cast in of itself (as is Comedy Death Ray, whose host is this week's guest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sue Denim posted:

What were you going to discuss if you don't mind sharing?

Of course I'll understand if you don't want to mention it yet. I keep on meaning to check this pod cast out but I just haven't got around to it yet even though that kind of stuff really interests me.
Short answer? Ghosts.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am going to go find EVPs and bring them to After Dark.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Waltman F4D interview really is fantastic. I almost forgot all about it, and I am glad I did not.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LordPants posted:

Also, the Thriller song was good.
I just heard this podcast, that song was partcilarly awesome.

Also, for anyone who likes the altered B&V show songs Hammond Edgar posted this link in the wrestling questions thread with an archive of some of the songs:

http://angrymarks.com/music/index.php?dir=songs%2F

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

I just heard this podcast, that song was partcilarly awesome.

Also, for anyone who likes the altered B&V show songs Hammond Edgar posted this link in the wrestling questions thread with an archive of some of the songs:

http://angrymarks.com/music/index.php?dir=songs%2F

Thanks for this link! I was finally able to find my favorite B&V song.

http://angrymarks.com/music/songs/lk-HeidenreichSnitskyLove.mp3

Haller
Jan 29, 2008

Just starting out listening to a few of these. So far I've been liking Art of Wrestling and Kickout, but I'm on the fence about paying the money for Wrestling Observer. I listened to their recent free stuff and it was good, but 11 dollars a month for a podcast site seems a bit steep. Is there anything else to that website besides the podcasts/archives and the forum? And how's the forum community there?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Haller posted:

Just starting out listening to a few of these. So far I've been liking Art of Wrestling and Kickout, but I'm on the fence about paying the money for Wrestling Observer. I listened to their recent free stuff and it was good, but 11 dollars a month for a podcast site seems a bit steep. Is there anything else to that website besides the podcasts/archives and the forum? And how's the forum community there?

Well, you get the Observer newsletter a couple of times a week, which is by far the most in-depth newsletter about the wrestling business. If you're interested in insider info and decent analysis of the business of wrestling and MMA it really can't be beaten. I've subscribed for years and I've never regretted it.

The forum community is pretty poo poo to be honest.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Haller posted:

the actual newsletter. the board is umm..different. its pretty good place all things considered and the front page content is worth it to me.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Haller posted:

Just starting out listening to a few of these. So far I've been liking Art of Wrestling and Kickout, but I'm on the fence about paying the money for Wrestling Observer. I listened to their recent free stuff and it was good, but 11 dollars a month for a podcast site seems a bit steep. Is there anything else to that website besides the podcasts/archives and the forum?

The Observer newsletter, i.e. the source for about ninety percent of legitimate news and business analysis. Also the semi-redundant Figure Four newsletter. And there's a lot of audio content.

Haller posted:

And how's the forum community there?

It used to be pretty good but the wrestling side is pretty much overrun by trolls. The MMA side has some insider people posting so you get some interesting stuff there. I'd highly suggest doing a username search for Dave's posts every few days, they're alternately hilariously snarky or great info dumps.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Haller posted:

You get Bryans newsletters dating back to 2000 (a huge gap from September 02-August 03 though.) and new observer back issues every week.

I like THE BOARD. It's pretty much unmoderated and has a lot of cool dudes (and some real terrible gimmicks). It's also where I get all of my Japanese Pro Wrestling links.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 17, 2011

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

if youre interested in puro or indies alan4l's board is cool. it's pretty slow moving compared to the others though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

The Observer newsletter, i.e. the source for about ninety percent of legitimate news and business analysis. Also the semi-redundant Figure Four newsletter. And there's a lot of audio content.
The overhaul to mostly feature articles in F4W has helped eliminate some of that because Bryan rarely writes about the same lead as Dave in a given week, and they've gotten pretty interesting. I'd have agreed with you mostly until that change, though.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

HulkaMatt posted:

I like THE BOARD. It's pretty much unmoderated and has a lot of cool dudes (and some real gimmicks). It's also where I get all of my Japanese Pro Wrestling links.

I dunno man, i tried really hard to get the board, but after seeing every topic going the way of "late slip", "hurr wrestling observer subscriber" "ALL CAPS POSTING" etc ad nauseum I just stopped reading. Is there something I'm missing?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You get access to every new Observer, every back issue since June of 2008, a new back issue from the early 90s every week (plus every back issue posted from 91-94), the Figure 4 Weekly newsletter, and all of the podcasts.

That is a lot of podcasts!

3+ Wrestling Observer Radios every week.
2 Bryan and Vinny shows.
Multiple Figure 4 Daily shows each week with interviews, news, Dr. Lucha and Lance Storm.
Five Star Radio 4-5 times per month with MMA breakdowns, news, analysis and hatred toward Armenians.
Dr Keith Presents with wacky stuff every week or so.
Tough Talk for more MMA news and interviews once or twice a month.
Bryan's new MMA interview show every other week.
The Big Audio Nightmare with puro, indies and hockey.
Karl Stern once a week with classic wrestling and WWE comics reviews.

That's a lot of stuff!

Plus while the Board in general sucks if you search "dave" in the username search you will get Meltzer's posts on the board which are usually informative or hilarious.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I like the Board. It's a fun alternative to this place. It's unmoderated and more snarky and angry. Plus name another forum where you can troll Lance Storm.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Board sucks, but if you have a desk job that allows you to listen to the radio or something, he subscription is worth it for the podcasts alone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grant DaNasty posted:

I like the Board. It's a fun alternative to this place. It's unmoderated and more snarky and angry. Plus name another forum where you can troll Lance Storm.

Or the dream of every man: a place you can be trolled by Lance Storm.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

MassRayPer posted:

Or the dream of every man: a place you can be trolled by Lance Storm.

Once I was skimming threads in the PRO WRESTLING section of THE BOARD. I was reading some stupid comments by a random fool and suddenly I read a post with random stats in it that made sense.

The poster? A man simply known as "dave." I was greatly amused.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gaz-L posted:

The overhaul to mostly feature articles in F4W has helped eliminate some of that because Bryan rarely writes about the same lead as Dave in a given week, and they've gotten pretty interesting. I'd have agreed with you mostly until that change, though.

I wish Bryan would just write feature articles only to be honest. He pretty obviously uses his television reviews from the newsletter as notes for both Observer Radio and B&V, so having them in the newsletter to is super-redundant since he's already covered everything at least once verbatim.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Space Cob posted:

Once I was skimming threads in the PRO WRESTLING section of THE BOARD. I was reading some stupid comments by a random fool and suddenly I read a post with random stats in it that made sense.

The poster? A man simply known as "dave." I was greatly amused.

not as bad as reading a dewe post and wondering what the gently caress meltzer is smoking

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I will always love THE BOARD simply due to the fact that they unmercifully mock anyone who complains about the PG rating.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've been a member of the site for a few years now and rarely visit The Board. Even then I only look at threads that look as though they may have useful news. To this day I've still never made a single post there. Every once in a while a non news thread will catch my eye, like the MS Paint one, but often I just stick to the newsletters and podcasts. There's more than enough there for me to get my $10 worth.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 17, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stuff like the MS Paint stuff and Dave Meltzer's leather Jacket are amusing. But I wouldn't post.

The only thing I got from the Board was the email address to ask Dave questions on the pod.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
THE BOARD is also home to the Observer Live archive (and other compilations) which is a great, great way to listen to even more audio. The last time I was sick I spent a few days listening to a bunch of WOLs from March of 2001 and relived the purchase of WCW.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you aren't interested in MMA i would suggest checking out PW Torch, it leaves a bit more on the analysis side than breaking news, but there is an huge amount of content each week and also content that stretches back 20+ years

Haller
Jan 29, 2008

I'm gonna try out Observer for a month and see if I like it enough to keep the subscription. Sounds like a promising amount of content from what was described.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haller posted:

I'm gonna try out Observer for a month and see if I like it enough to keep the subscription. Sounds like a promising amount of content from what was described.

Once you do immediately get the Waltman interview from this week. As stated before it's a fantastic interview. The interviews are always great. My favorites include Austin's last year and one with Bruno Sammartino a couple years back (early 2009ish) that I thought was amazing. I've actually listened that one a few times. Bruno's done a couple in the last couple years and they're always long and awesome.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Oasx posted:

If you aren't interested in MMA i would suggest checking out PW Torch, it leaves a bit more on the analysis side than breaking news, but there is an huge amount of content each week and also content that stretches back 20+ years

on the flip side, it's wade keller.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Haller posted:

This is a great idea. I did it, and I ended up keeping my sub for almost a year. I should probably re-up for a month just to listen to the March/April stuff (Victory Road, Wrestlemania, I probably missed a lot of gold).

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
If you dont immediately go into the archives and download reviews for every TNA PPV you are the worst person

Haller
Jan 29, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Once you do immediately get the Waltman interview from this week. As stated before it's a fantastic interview. The interviews are always great. My favorites include Austin's last year and one with Bruno Sammartino a couple years back (early 2009ish) that I thought was amazing. I've actually listened that one a few times. Bruno's done a couple in the last couple years and they're always long and awesome.

I'll check it out. And as you're talking about, there's an archive of older interviews and shows which was one of the selling points, but that leads me to another question. One of the things I heard about almost immediately when looking into the website was an interview they did with Danielson a few years ago that people really liked but I haven't been able to find through their search. Does anybody have a link to that show, and is there any trick to searching for those older interviews or is it just mostly remembering the general time period and/or tags for the show?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Big Bob Pataki posted:

If you dont immediately go into the archives and download reviews for every TNA PPV you are the worst person

Better yet, just go download ADRENALINE FLUSH on The Board.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Is there a version that isn't really lovely quality

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

Haller posted:

I'll check it out. And as you're talking about, there's an archive of older interviews and shows which was one of the selling points, but that leads me to another question. One of the things I heard about almost immediately when looking into the website was an interview they did with Danielson a few years ago that people really liked but I haven't been able to find through their search. Does anybody have a link to that show, and is there any trick to searching for those older interviews or is it just mostly remembering the general time period and/or tags for the show?

double post in this bitch

Is this it: http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/15135/161/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

on the flip side, it's wade keller.

I am curious as to what you don't like about Wade.

I have heard some of the Observer shows linked here and they aren't really for me, and i don't like MMA so the site doesn't really appeal to me.

Haller
Jan 29, 2008

Big Bob Pataki posted:

double post in this bitch

Is this it: http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/15135/161/

Looks like it. Thanks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Son of a bitch.

I just listened to the BV show and Bryan plugged me for After Dark next week and I don't even know if the interview is going to happen.

So here's the deal:

I work for a theater chain in Seattle that's housed mostly in super-old buildings. Two of which are on plenty of "ghost tours". The other night I asked Bryan if, since he lives so close to Seattle, he would like me to ask for permission to tour the joints with him on video for the site. This was, I think, Tuesday.

Thursday night rolls around and it's about twenty minutes before I posted my last post in this thread. Bryan tells me he's very interested but would rather do an interview on Friday's show first. Naturally I decline as though I'm only a fill-in guy these days at the theater chain I don't want to step on any toes. I tell Bryan that I can't do the interview Friday since I don't have permission yet.

This chain has allowed tons of people to tour their "haunted" theaters for publicity. I don't think it'll be a problem.

So now that I know I have Bryan's interest I email the chain's district manager and give her the skinny. "There's this podcast... blah blah... hauntings... blah blah... publicity... blah blah." The response I received tonight? A big fat raspberry. Goose-egg. She tells me that only corporate can talk about the company and that HR and PR are the only people who can make statements on behalf of the chain. I can't say how without getting anybody in trouble, but the message is as plain as day to me:

"Why the gently caress did you ask me permission? Now I have to say no!"

Were I to have just done the loving interview I would've been at no risk whatsoever. I'm not even technically an employee anymore. There's nothing they could have done to me and I could've plugged the theaters and their website and everything would've been fine.

Once again, I'm screwed for trying to do the right thing.

Bryan plugged my ghost stories at the end of the show this week (though he was sufficiently vague, so nobody's going to crucify him over not having me on or anything) and I have basically nothing. I emailed the man about twenty minutes ago and gave him the skinny, telling him I could do the interview so long as I didn't mention my theater chain's name or name the actual buildings themselves. I then went on to tell him how I realized that would likely make for very lovely radio but that if he wanted to do the interview I'm experienced with language and could be sufficiently vague.

So either I wasted a bunch of the dude's time by not taking the interview on Friday and made him look like a tool for plugging something that won't happen or I'm going to be a part of the most hop-scotchy interview he's ever done outside of the wrestling business.

gently caress.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well, I'm assuming there is some reason you want to stay in the theater's good graces, but honestly there's not anything they can do if you talk about this stuff. Even if you were an employee, it's unlikely you signed a non-disclosure contract with them and if they were to fire you over it you might have a wrongful termination suit in your lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

True, but Washington state is an "At Will" work state so they can fire me for literally no reason and get away with it. Furthermore I don't have regular work with them at the moment anyway. It's a highly sought-after job and when the economy poo poo the bed all of the folks that had moved on came back and bumped me further back in line. Now I run my own business outside of this job and that's where my income comes from these days and my wife's been bugging me to let go of all hope of ever being given the promotion I've been waiting, no poo poo, one third of my life for, since I run my aforementioned company, but DJing and Karaoke-ing might be awesome and pay the bills just fine right now and I get paid a retarded amount of money per hour, but it comes with no benefits and I absolutely can't take care of a family on that money nor can I retire on it.

So you can see why, living in Washington State, I don't want to anger these folks.

Buh. I told Bryan what was up and he'll either confirm or deny. That's pretty much where I stand.

• Locked thread