Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Jut posted:

We judge political parties on a regular basis. It's called opinion, and is something we are encouraged to do as part of the democratic process. Our views only hold weight when it comes to ballot time. It is OUR responsibility and right to judge parties, not the courts.

So your essentially arguing that the NDP isn't a *real* political party. Go read a dictionary. It fulfills the criteria of a political party

The only corruption of political process occurring is courts dictating who can and can't run in elections.

Maybe if you spent less time reading dictionaries and more time interacting with real world examples you'd realize what a stupid retort that is. You're literally responding to me saying you're treating anything called a political party the same by saying all political parties are the same as a way to disprove my point.

Or, maybe, instead of reading dictionaries you could at least pick up an encyclopedia to offer yourself some chance of understanding context instead of trying to use direct dictionary definitions as support for your opinions.

A political party is not a political party is not a political party. Your reductionism of things to dictionary definitions not withstanding, calling the NDP a political party for being the machinery through which a facade of legitimacy was maintained in a modern dictatorship is foolish. Claiming they're called a political party so they should be treated the same as any political party in a liberal democratic context is blind ignorance masked in democratic rhetoric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

farraday posted:

Maybe if you spent less time reading dictionaries and more time interacting with real world examples you'd realize what a stupid retort that is. You're literally responding to me saying you're treating anything called a political party the same by saying all political parties are the same as a way to disprove my point.

Or, maybe, instead of reading dictionaries you could at least pick up an encyclopedia to offer yourself some chance of understanding context instead of trying to use direct dictionary definitions as support for your opinions.

A political party is not a political party is not a political party. Your reductionism of things to dictionary definitions not withstanding, calling the NDP a political party for being the machinery through which a facade of legitimacy was maintained in a modern dictatorship is foolish. Claiming they're called a political party so they should be treated the same as any political party in a liberal democratic context is blind ignorance masked in democratic rhetoric.

Words have specific meanings, dictionaries list the commonly accepted meanings. You're claiming that the NDP isn't a real political party (and therefore don't deserve to run in the Egyptian elections), which seems to fly in the face of the commonly accepted definition of a political party.

quote:

"political party
noun
an organization to gain political power"
Are you saying that the NDP do not fit that criteria?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lexical definition are near worthless because they're generally designed to be over broad.

But hey, you've read a dictionary so clearly you know what you're talking about.

When you get to the I's I have some words you might want to look up.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Brown Moses posted:

The Guardian says it's MILAN AT Missiles, which is apparently what the Libyan army uses as well.

Old news but I couldn't resist...
CQ finds a dead mercenary with a sign hanging from his neck "Now I have a Anti-Tank Missle, Ho Ho Ho" from Libyan John McClane.
http://www.nbc.com/news-sports/msnbc-video/libyan-rebels-hope-for-more-advanced-weaponry/

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Providing advanced weapons to the rebels will make the recipient of those arms the de facto leaders of the rebellion. Who is getting these weapons will be very important for the future of the country.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

farraday posted:

Lexical definition are near worthless because they're generally designed to be over broad.
Next you'll be saying that legal definitions are worthless because they don't agree with your point of view

quote:

But hey, you've read a dictionary so clearly you know what you're talking about.

When you get to the I's I have some words you might want to look up.
Grow up.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Hey guess what! I snapped a few (not terribly interesting) photos from Bahrain here!

I went over to the other side of town to go to the market area, and we drove by some of the armed troops. They're stationed along the highway there near where the Pearl Roundabout was. I wasn't, er, very good at taking these pictures, I was honestly a little nervous to try. So I kinda missed on a few.

Here's a picture of part of an armored vehicle and stuff. There were also some tanks, but like I said, I wasn't very good at taking pictures of armed men from a moving vehicle. I'm no journalist!

This next one is a view from a bridge down to the Pearl Roundabout area in Manama, Bahrain. That's where they tore down the Pearl Roundabout monument somewhere, I'm not exactly sure where. But somewhere down there. Nothin' down there now but construction vehicles and the occasional troops.

Here's a picture that doesn't have any troops in it, but is kinda interesting. There's several buildings with big murals of the King of Bahrain or the Prince or other political figures on them. It's kinda Big Brother-ish I guess, but kinda cool at the same time. This is some financial center or something money-related.

Those are the main interesting ones I took, I'm afraid. I hope they're not too big to break frames or whatever, they're not TOO big.

I've got other, less-interesting photos of Bahrain if anyone wants to see 'em, too. Pictures of the neat Bahrain World Trade Center, or the market area, or more big buildings with political figures on them, or other random buildings.

If I manage to get any more photos of something interesting, perhaps I'll share 'em here.

I hope it's, like, legal for me to take these photos, I don't want to get in trouble...

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Jut posted:

Next you'll be saying that legal definitions are worthless because they don't agree with your point of view

Grow up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexical_definition

Learn something you ignorant Jut.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

HJE-Cobra posted:

Hey guess what! I snapped a few (not terribly interesting) photos from Bahrain here!

Thanks for the photos. That's pretty interesting. Have you seen any protests yourself?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
:allears: You guys are fun, farraday and Jut

Jut posted:

Ham, do you know anything else about the political power plays going on over there? Does it look like the military council may make a play for power during the elections? Any chance of them pulling a Iliescu?

The military council at this point can't really do anything but follow on with reform. I know it's hard to believe but the group with the actual power in Egypt are in fact the people. Why do you think Mubarak, his sons and his closest allies got arrested? Why was the NDP only dissolved now? So even if the council is against reform, they have no choice but to move along with it or be removed by their own officers from within the army. As for the elections themselves, right now it's uncertain but the military has officially announced it will not be producing any candidates from the military institution, however there are rumors they might back Amr Moussa.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bashar al-Assad has announced that emergency law will be lifted next week.

We'll see.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Ham posted:

The military council at this point can't really do anything but follow on with reform. I know it's hard to believe but the group with the actual power in Egypt are in fact the people. Why do you think Mubarak, his sons and his closest allies got arrested? Why was the NDP only dissolved now? So even if the council is against reform, they have no choice but to move along with it or be removed by their own officers from within the army. As for the elections themselves, right now it's uncertain but the military has officially announced it will not be producing any candidates from the military institution, however there are rumors they might back Amr Moussa.

I also recall the military council issuing a statement that they 'would not tolerate' an extremist Islam Egypt.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Thanks for the photos. That's pretty interesting. Have you seen any protests yourself?

No, I didn't see any protests myself, directly. The first week I was here in Bahrain, when protests were still allowed, I was heading back to the hotel after work, and a crowd was starting to form for a protest that was starting soon. It hadn't quite started yet, though.

Actually, that reminds me, I have a few photos I took from the hotel of some of the cars going towards that protest.

This was taken at like the end of February or March 1st or thereabouts. I think this one was a pro-government protest, there were a few different protests for different reasons apparently. I never saw the big ones that were going on down at Pearl Roundabout, and those were the anti-government ones I believe.

Here you can see some more traffic and cops directing traffic. And a well-known statue thing there. That's on some of the money, even. It's on the 1 Dinar bill.

This photo shows some of the traffic backup caused by preparations for the protest.

But I didn't get to see the protest itself, unfortunately. These three photos were all from the first week while I was here in Bahrain, and protests were still allowed, but they're not allowed anymore.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 17, 2011

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Ham posted:

I only ask because of what happened following the Romanian revolution in '89. The transitional government backed by the military, after assuring the populace that they would not be seeking power, decided they wanted to run for election, dissolved the communist party, gave themselves exclusive rights to broadcast on state media, then went batshit on the people who overthrew Ceausescu, killing more people that he did during the protests.
As long as the transitional council stay true to their announcement that they will not be producing candidates then great.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of Bahrain, here's a guy's account of how things are over there:

quote:

Since the Gulf soldiers came to Bahrain, life in the Shia villages and suburbs of the capital, Manama, has been non-stop intimidation, violence and threats. Even trying to move around in normal ways has become life-threatening. They are trying to beat down the opposition with a long campaign against us.

I live in one of the villages near Manama. One night about 7.30pm, I parked in front of my father-in-law's house and walked towards the door, when at least 50 armed and masked thugs – they were not in security forces uniform – appeared from one of the village lanes and told me to stop, pointing their shotguns at me. I ran away and they followed, but I managed to hide in one of the houses and they did not see me.

I heard them talking to each other, saying: "Don't worry, we will find him." I was taking a look from the window and they stayed at the car park opposite the house I was hiding in, and they were smashing the windows of parked cars and wrecking and stealing from them. Some had Saudi accents; they are very different from Bahraini and easy to tell.

quote:

Later that night (I was unable to leave the house I was in), we heard a group of people, 100 or more, chanting: "Bahrain is free, Gulf Shield out." I was watching from the rooftop when the riot police ran in from a main road and started shooting rubber bullets and tear-gas cartridges.

I hid inside the house while the demonstrators ran away from the shooting and in 30 minutes I saw riot police, with armed civilians among them, roaming around the lanes and roads by the house I was hiding in.

They managed to catch two people, aged no more than 30, and were beating them up badly, swearing at them all the time and cursing the Shia clerics, saying: "Where is al-Khomeini now? Where is al-Sistani, you Shia dogs?" They took them away. I managed to take a photograph of the blood on the floor after the beating and there was so much. I am sure the man must have died.

quote:

At the checkpoint by Bahrain Mall, which is the entrance to the village of Daih, the man in charge had a Saudi accent, but he was masked, in civilian clothes with an automatic rifle. My card was taken away with another officer to check my name against a list. They have pictures and names of all the people at Lulu and on the demonstrations and have posted them on Facebook with notices saying: "Bring these people to justice, they are guilty people."

In another checkpoint, at the entrance to Karzakan, an Emirati officer [from the UAE contingent of the Gulf Peninsula Shield force] searched me, and my BlackBerry and my car, and questioned me for an hour about my reasons for entering the village.

A female co-worker who dresses conservatively in an abaya had the same thing happen to her. They kept browsing through her phone, which contained personal photos of her and her family without the headscarf, which they [male police] should not see, as it is not acceptable in Islam, Sunni or Shia.

For two weeks after the attack on Lulu we kept seeing a military aircraft (a US-built F-16 type) every day at about 7.30pm, flying low over the villages, backing up the police helicopters which we see over our heads all day long in the villages. We hear shooting every day at 8pm and 10pm when the chanting starts on the rooftops.

The army and riot police have begun to destroy the Shia matams [mosques] in some villages, even those where there was no protest that day. They say they are looking for arms, but the only ones they've shown were obviously put there by them – they are government-issue weapons. The demolitions took place in broad daylight in the morning, with bulldozers.

quote:

In Sanabis, there was no sign of any protest, and as I was walking I was shocked to see riot police cars followed by unmarked cars entering the village fast and shooting randomly. They stopped near a school and about 100 armed riot police and masked armed civilians came out, roaming around the village shooting at anything that moved.

They ran after a group of people who were walking by and they entered one of the houses after seeing someone running inside, and they arrested him and beat him.

Over the past week, three of my cousins have been arrested and they are all teachers, two women and one man, who is the headteacher of a school, along with 50 other full-time teachers. They have all been arrested in their classrooms for joining the strike and signing a petition to remove the education minister. Tanks were surrounding the school and riot police entered and arrested them.

My young brother, 15, was coming back from school last Sunday, and the bus had been stopped at a checkpoint and the riot police entered.

The officer had a Saudi accent and he asked the whole bus: "Which of you went to Lulu Square? You are Shia dogs, why is there no photo of King Hamad in the bus?"

He asked the other officers to check the books of random students to see if the photo of King Hamad was there (all school books have his photo) and they found a number of students who ripped or damaged the photo.

They started to beat them up inside the bus and then arrested them and threatened the other students. "The bus will be searched every day and we had better see the king's photo inside the bus tomorrow, otherwise you will not go home."

The same day I drove by the same checkpoint just after my brother arrived home and saw four teenagers with their heads covered by bags lying on their stomachs at 2pm under the hot sun, with their shirts removed and getting random kicks by the officers.

quote:

In Salmaniya medical complex [which has been under military occupation for three weeks], a cousin of mine worked at the appointments centre. After his shift he left the hospital and police stopped him at the exit, checked his ID card and noticed his Shia name. They accused him of racism for not giving appointments to Sunnis and beat him up.

He asked his family to collect him because he was bleeding from his eyes and feeling dizzy. He did not get any medical treatment as it was impossible to reach any hospital without being questioned, especially when he is injured. He is still at home and does not go to work and it seems he lost an eye. Many doctors have been arrested for treating injured people. The opposition says that 720 people have been arrested since 15 March. Many have been beaten, four have died in detention and 210 are still missing. But who knows really how many?

They say that we are spies for Iran, but nobody here wants to be ruled from Iran. We are Shia, but we are also Arabs, not Persians. We do not want help from Iran. We want democracy in our own country.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/16/bahrain-eyewitness-riot-police

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
:siren: :monocle: Happy news for Egyptologists everywhere - Zahi Hawass, newly appointed Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs - has been sentenced to one year in prison, removal from his job as minister and a $1800 fine for neglecting to put into effect a court ruling regarding a conflict between his former institution (where he held the title of Chief Archeologist) and a citizen over a piece of land.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I guess one of the advantages of the US spending more on its military than the rest of the world combined is that it doesn't run out of bombs a month into a war.

quote:

Less than a month into the Libyan conflict, NATO is running short of precision bombs, highlighting the limitations of Britain, France and other European countries in sustaining even a relatively small military action over an extended period of time, according to senior NATO and U.S. officials.

....Libya “has not been a very big war. If [the Europeans] would run out of these munitions this early in such a small operation, you have to wonder what kind of war they were planning on fighting,” said John Pike, director of GlobalSecurity.org, a defense think tank. “Maybe they were just planning on using their air force for air shows.”

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/04/american-exceptionalism

Naturally, this will just mean a re-escalation of American involvement in the Libyan conflict, assuming it doesn't end shortly which seems increasingly unlikely.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That is both hilarious and sad for so many reasons.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't think its sad at all. Would that everyone runs out of bombs some day.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

How are u posted:

Though preferably not because they've used them all.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ham posted:

:siren: :monocle: Happy news for Egyptologists everywhere - Zahi Hawass, newly appointed Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs - has been sentenced to one year in prison, removal from his job as minister and a $1800 fine for neglecting to put into effect a court ruling regarding a conflict between his former institution (where he held the title of Chief Archeologist) and a citizen over a piece of land.

That is good news, I was very surprised to hear he had returned to his old haunts after all that had happened.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Quoth the Jut "Grow up", at least Romania seems to be paying you well, I'd return the favor but lets be honest, you're not worth it. And honestly, this is the best you can do? Really? "Colossal human being"? Well, whatever job you have in Romania I hope it doesn't involve being creative.

In other news
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/04/201141715495475107.html

Yemen was quite for several weeks as the opposition and the rpesident seemed to be trying to step away from violence, possibly because they weren't sure who would win. But this incident follows several others in the past week which means things are coming to a head.

In nearby Oman, the government is pouring money onto any civil problems
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gSaCBhzX4uBKYXdLQvEKoNIaIZJQ?docId=6591209

And in Syria
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/04/2011417131422534165.html

The promise to drop the emergency law has a short horizon, but protests are ongoing and the anti Bashar tenor here could very well break resistance to outright repression.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

How are u posted:

They're not running out of bombs. They're running out of precision bombs. That's less positive.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If I remember right there are retrofit packages (the JDAM) for dumb bombs that make them decently accurate to their targets that cost basically nothing compared to a Tomahawk or cruise missile. The US shouldn't run out of those for a while.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember right there are retrofit packages (the JDAM) for dumb bombs that make them decently accurate to their targets that cost basically nothing compared to a Tomahawk or cruise missile. The US shouldn't run out of those for a while.

For US bombs. Which won't fit on French or British planes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CeeJee posted:

For US bombs. Which won't fit on French or British planes.

Germany started buying the JDAM packages a couple years back as well but since they aren't participating, then yeah, NATO is going to be relying on US stores soon.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

The article is still pretty off base though. The final comment "Typically, the British and French militaries buy munitions in batches and stockpile them. When arsenals start to run low, factories must be retooled and production lines restarted to replace the diminished stock, all of which can take time and additional money, said Elizabeth Quintana, an aerospace analyst at the Royal United Service Institute in London." seems to be frankly wrong in this context.

Both the PAveway IV and AASM guided munitions which are, from what I gather, the most recent additions to their forces are currently being produced, so the question of retooling and restarting makes no sense. I think the larger issue they're having is that both munitions are fairly new and therefore do not have large stockpiles, while being preferentially used for accuracy. Older munitions, with preexisting stockpiles would face that problem, but these two are clearly in production.

While there is a point to be made about spending money on bread not bombs, as I believe the saying goes, the likelihood of running out of precision guided munitions seems low.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

IIRC, the JDAM was developed and deployed when the U.S. started running out of laser-guided bombs during Kosovo.

They're decently accurate. The JDAM's CEP, the area that they can conceivibly hit a target with 95% accuracy, is something like 3-13m with GPS uplink (30m with inertial guidance). Paveways are supposedly more accurate, with a CEP of 1-6m, thanks to tele-video and laser guidance.

For a comparison, the CEP of unguided ordinance during the Vietnam war was something like 100m. For even a bigger degree, the CEP of so-called "precision strikes" in World War 2 was something like a mile. Even with the best pilots and the best sights, only 20% of bombs hit within a 1000 feet of targets.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Young Freud posted:

IIRC, the JDAM was developed and deployed when the U.S. started running out of laser-guided bombs during Kosovo.

That was the first time they were used in combat, but they were developed after Desert Storm because the laser guided bombs couldn't see through sand storms, smoke, and cloud cover. Most of the bombs used in that war were unguided bombs. Basically they wanted an all weather bomb that was cheaper than a cruise missile. Using existing dumb bombs was a nice bonus.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

t3ch3 posted:

Naturally, this will just mean a re-escalation of American involvement in the Libyan conflict, assuming it doesn't end shortly which seems increasingly unlikely.

Given the backlash towards Obama regarding American action, I seriously doubt he'd be willing to step up American involvement. It would be political suicide.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jut posted:

Given the backlash towards Obama regarding American action, I seriously doubt he'd be willing to step up American involvement. It would be political suicide.

There's been no backlash that would constrain Obama in any real way.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

evilweasel posted:

There's been no backlash that would constrain Obama in any real way.

The Republicans have been predictably using it as a stick to beat him with. poo poo sticks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
But the Republicans have been suggesting that Obama should escalate the American military presence. If he does just that, their response will almost certainly be that he's just not doing enough. You're not going to see Graham and McCain turn into doves overnight.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jut posted:

The Republicans have been predictably using it as a stick to beat him with. poo poo sticks.

The republican response has been largely mocked and ignored because lots of them were, unfortunately for their current position, on record as blasting Obama for not intervening when he hadn't yet. Nobody cares about it they've not made anything stick.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

t3ch3 posted:

But the Republicans have been suggesting that Obama should escalate the American military presence. If he does just that, their response will almost certainly be that he's just not doing enough. You're not going to see Graham and McCain turn into doves overnight.

They would be willing to use it as evidence Obama hated our troops during any budget talks that might involve cutting any military program though. Realistically speaking though, they'll do that anyways citing Afghanistan which people may actually care about. Also realistically any cuts to our military programs will be so minor as to be near worthless anyways.

Yeah, Libya isn't a major issue for anyone.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Live blogs April 18th
AJE
LibyaFeb17.com
Guardian

quote:

For those joining us, here is a recap of events in Libya:

* Pro-democracy forces in Libya say they are in control of Ajdabiya.

* Earlier, government troops took advantage of a sand storm forcing the rebels into a retreat.

* The weather also forced NATO to ground their jets.

* Anti-aircraft fire has been heard in the capital Tripoli.

quote:

Rebels in the eastern stronghold of Benghazi are shipping food, medical supplies and weapons, including anti-tank rounds seized from Libyan army depots, to their fellow fighters in Misurata, according to reports.
It'll be interesting if some of those AT weapons provided to the rebels are also heading to Misarata too.

quote:

Some 1,000 people have been killed and 3,000 injured in Misurata alone within the past six weeks, a senior medic tells the AFP news agency.

Libya's third largest city has been besieged, shelled and subject to hidden rooftop snipers. Dr Khaled Abu Falgha, administrator of the city's main hospital told AFP:

quote:

Some 80 percent of the deaths are civilians.
He also said medical staff have seen a sudden rise in the number of people brought into the hospital in the last week suffering gunshot wounds to their heads and necks - the preferred target zone of marksmen.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 18, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Good morning and welcome to our coverage of Libya and other developments in the Middle East.

• Britain's international development secretary, Andrew Mitchell, will be holding urgent talks at the UN in New York on how to get aid to Misrata, the rebel-held city that has been under siege for seven weeks. Tens of thousands of people are trapped in Misrata, Libya's third city and the only one under rebel control in the west.

• In a defiant interview, Saif al-Islam, one of Muammar Gaddafi's sons, described anti-government forces in Misrata as criminals and terrorists. He told the Washington Post that the Libyan government would not "sit and wait every day for the terrorists to get stronger".

Government forces yesterday mounted a heavy assault on Libyan rebels holding the key town of Ajdabiya in a sign that the regime is stepping up efforts to regain territory in the east of the country. As fighting continues, David Cameron said there "no question of an invasion or an occupation" under the terms of the UN resolution and that this was making fighting the conflict "more difficult in many ways" for the coalition.

quote:

Misrata, which seems to be assuming the symbolic importance of Sarajevo in the Bosnian war, has come under bombardment again today.

"The Gaddafi forces are shelling Misrata now. They are firing rockets and artillery rounds on the eastern side - the Nakl el Theqeel (road) and the residential areas around it," Abdubasset Abu Mzeireq told Reuters. He said 17 people were killed in yesterday's shelling.

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, who was asked about Misrata in the Washington Post interview, described the fighters there as terrorists, drawing parallels with Grozny in Chechnya and Fallujah in Iraq. As Saif insists that the fighters are terrorists it will be hard to see how the Libyan government will agree to unrestricted humanitarian access to the city.

quote:

Arms and ammunition and terrorists are coming every day via that port... So, excuse me, you want the Libyan government to sit and wait every day for the terrorists to get stronger? You know, the army was in dialogue and in negotiation with those people for one month. One month, trying to persuade them to lay down arms and go back home. One month, we failed. And then, they used the time to fortify their site. So you want us to repeat the same mistake again? Of course not. And by the way, those criminals, they kidnap people, they kill people, they execute people, they have their own courts, their own police, army. No government in the world will allow such a behaviour.

In 1992, Francois Mitterrand flew by helicopter into Sarajevo with "a message of hope" for its 400,000 hungry and terrorised residents. One wonders whether Nicolas Sarkozy would dare to emulate Mitterrand's stunt.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

The UN secretary-general, Ban Ki-moon, says the UN has reached an agreement with the Libyan government on providing humanitarian aid in Tripoli. The Associated Press reports that the deal to establish a "humanitarian presence" in the Libyan capital was agreed yesterday by his special envoy to Libya and Valerie Amos, the UN humanitarian chief. But no word on Misrata.
I can't escape the feeling that Gaddafis thugs might take their anger at the coalition out on anyone the UN sends to Tripoli.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Brown Moses posted:

I can't escape the feeling that Gaddafis thugs might take their anger at the coalition out on anyone the UN sends to Tripoli.

I don't think even Gaddafi would be short-sighted enough to attack UN humanitarians directly.

Then again most of us have used that sentence with different subjects quite a lot in the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I don't think it'll be ordered by Gaddafi, probably some of his supporters would get wound up by the bombing and decide to take it out on the UN.

Here's some news of things heating up in Syria:

quote:

Syrian forces killed eight protesters overnight in the central city of Homs in confrontations after the death of a tribal leader in custody, a rights campaigner told Reuters.

quote:

Homs is boiling. Security forces and the regime thugs have been provoking armed tribes for a month now. But civilians in large numbers also took to the streets in different areas of Homs last night and they were shot at in cold blood," the rights campaigner said.

The top story in the Washington Post is about secret US financing of Syrian political opposition groups and related projects, including a satellite TV channel that beams anti-government programming into the country. Based on cables from WikiLeaks, the Post says the US state department funnelled as much as $6m to the Movement for Justice and Development, a London-based network of Syrian exiles, to operate a satellite channel called Barada TV.

quote:

The London-based satellite channel, Barada TV, began broadcasting in April 2009 but has ramped up operations to cover the mass protests in Syria as part of a long-standing campaign to overthrow the country's autocratic leader, Bashar al-Assad...
It is unclear whether the state department is still funding Syrian opposition groups, but the cables indicate money was set aside at least through September 2010. While some of that money has also supported programs and dissidents inside Syria.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 18, 2011

• Locked thread