Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm nitpicking, but that says that any bike with two or less cylinders displacing equal to or less than 750cc would be an excellent beginner's bike. Can you imagine a beginner on a 690 SMC on "Race" fuel map? I could have sworn we had a member on here that could tell us more about what it feels like to ride such a friendly beginner bike a distance of...say...six inches?

Oh it went really well. I love checking out the constellations.

I really liked 4/20s story he posted about opening it up on his R6 and nearly killing himself. Well told and a great example of why 600s are poo poo starter bikes. Wonderful track bikes, poo poo motorcycles for most anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Talk him down to a F4i if he is dead set on a 600 as his first bike.

Someone told me the second you start thinking "It's just a 600" is about the time you're sliding down the road. It's such a true statement.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 18, 2011

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
At least get one of the 90s 600 sportbikes CBR F2, F3, FZR600, way more manageable power, better ergonomics.

That being said to play devil's advocate I started riding a 636 after about riding a year, maybe it's that year of experience but it wasn't really as intimidating to ride as a lot of people on forums make modern 600cc sportbikes to be. It's still overkill for the street but you can ride it at relatively lowspeeds without any drama, of course once you start using more than 1/4 throttle it's easy to get carried away :)

Still I would say AT LEAST ride a cheap ninja 250/500, Suzuki GS500 for just a month to get used to modulating brakes, leaning/accelerating through turns, throttle control, etc.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
My friend just bought an R6 as his first bike. It only has one mirror. He didn't get proper pants or boots. He got a free helmet from a friend ... that doesn't fit properly

I spent a long time on Thursday night warning him to get better gear.

I just think to myself that at least he is a gymnast, so if he falls or crashes or something, maybe he will be able to handle the impact better.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

He won't, man. :(

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Kommando posted:

some bag of mouldy cocks stopped at a green arrow in front of me yesterday and i dropped the ER5 on its left side in surprise bending the left rear shock. The mechanic says they are rare and expensive. Is this bullshit? Is it easy to replace shocks yourself. I imagine it is.

On a twinshock, very easy indeed. It has two bolts on it, top and bottom. Remove the bolts and slide shock off mounting posts. Push new shock on. Replace bolts. Done.

As far as rare and expensive, no, that's horseshit. Aside from the ones from wrecked bikes, cheap aftermarket ones are easily available, e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ER-5-ER500-A1-A4-97-01-new-rear-shocks-4m09-/280655334404?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item41585c8c04#ht_1072wt_1139

Nothing on ebay Oz that I can see, but I imagine your local pattern parts retailer can supply something similar.

You could probably buy some that ARE rare and expensive and double the value of the bike...

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Saga posted:

On a twinshock, very easy indeed. It has two bolts on it, top and bottom. Remove the bolts and slide shock off mounting posts. Push new shock on. Replace bolts. Done.

As far as rare and expensive, no, that's horseshit. Aside from the ones from wrecked bikes, cheap aftermarket ones are easily available, e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ER-5-ER500-A1-A4-97-01-new-rear-shocks-4m09-/280655334404?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item41585c8c04#ht_1072wt_1139

Nothing on ebay Oz that I can see, but I imagine your local pattern parts retailer can supply something similar.

You could probably buy some that ARE rare and expensive and double the value of the bike...

:arghfist::aaa:

I was quoted $400 AU for OEM Shocks today. the local wreckers only have the 300mm shocks not the 330mm i need for my '98

TO EBAY!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

-Inu- posted:

all 600cc inline four motorcycles have incredibly nonlinear powerbands. What does that mean? That means, the bike produces nearly no power until about 9,000rpm, and then ALL of the power comes at once.

There are plenty of ~600cc inline four motorcycles with powerbands that aren't supersport-peaky.

Bandit, GSX-F, FZ6, Hornet etc.

But other than that, I agree 100%. Starting on a supersport is like doing your first skydive solo with a chute you've sewn and packed yourself. Not gonna end well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A lot of people get into motorcycling simply for cock waving. The idea of starting on a small bike doesn't make sense to them, because if you can't wave your cock with it, what's the point?

Sportbike riders are exactly like Harley diehards in this sense. This classic video is a perfect example. Look at the cool guy who got hardcore branded leathers in matching colors and the "extra cock length" silver visor option!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuW577t8Bg

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
A good answer to the "...well my friend X started on a litre bike and he's OK" argument; "...and everyone knows someone who has won on a lotto scratch card, it doesn't mean the odds are good".

Saying that, I 'started' on a 690 SMC.

I say 'started' because I had already taught myself to ride pootling around on a Yamaha DT125 when I lived in Uganda, and I had 10 years of urban cycle-commuting (even some in Kampala) which left me with good ingrained 'defensive' road manners.

Even so, going from a 20hp (on a good day) two-stroke to a fuel-injected 650cc 65hp four-stroke bike of exactly the same weight led to a more hairy learning curve than was probably wise.

Although, with the throttle map set to 'soft' the 690 is really quite docile...

...relatively.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Which brings me to a question - how bad of an idea would it be to buy a 250 2t as a first dirtbike? :v:
Is that a "Yeah, don't do that" idea, or is it "you're going to die" territory?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

BlackMK4 posted:

Which brings me to a question - how bad of an idea would it be to buy a 250 2t as a first dirtbike?

Depends on how hairy the bike is tuned, if it's race tuned with a power curve like the alps, only 30hp but all of them getting delivered between 5000 and 5200? Probably not so easy to learn on.

Kommando posted:

:arghfist::aaa:

I was quoted $400 AU for OEM Shocks today. the local wreckers only have the 300mm shocks not the 330mm i need for my '98

TO EBAY!

There are loads of generic shocks you could fit too, that's what I did on my BSA. You could even upgrade for probably less than the out of production OEMs will cost you.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 18, 2011

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I will always advocate starting on the weakest thing you can stand because enjoyment of motorcycling is strongly linked to how competent you are at operating the bike. It's going to be a slow and very un-entertaining process to learn to ride on a bike you are terrified of and can really surprise you in harsh ways. I sometimes wish I had started on a 250 instead.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ola posted:

A lot of people get into motorcycling simply for cock waving.
This seems like a significant fact of motorcycling that deserves emphasis. I think it would even describe the majority of motorcycling.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Ola posted:

A lot of people get into motorcycling simply for cock waving. The idea of starting on a small bike doesn't make sense to them, because if you can't wave your cock with it, what's the point?

Sportbike riders are exactly like Harley diehards in this sense. This classic video is a perfect example. Look at the cool guy who got hardcore branded leathers in matching colors and the "extra cock length" silver visor option!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuW577t8Bg

EDIT - Oh, I misread you. Yes, you are right many new riders who insist on Sport Bikes are like that. Heh.

Meh, we're not all like that. Here I am rocking my "Snow Suit" (Field Sheer Jacket and Overpants) I'm about as non-sportbikey/squidly as you can get. I mean, I don't do stoppies or wheelies at all!

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Ola posted:

Yeah, unfortunately, that's my friend. He just wants a bike so he can "be a badass".

My only hope is that he's a university student with a part-time job so he probably won't be able to afford a 2006 or newer R6 any time soon, and may eventually lose interest.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

BlackMK4 posted:

Which brings me to a question - how bad of an idea would it be to buy a 250 2t as a first dirtbike? :v:

My first REAL dirtbike was a 2000 CR250 I got last summer. Growing up I put a lot of time in on little 80s and 100s but never had a true race dirtbike.

...250 2t are INSANE. ReelBigLizard has the right idea but the wrong numbers... a 250 2t with a race pipe is putting down close (or over) 40hp to the wheel, and they weigh ~220lbs wet, ready to ride. The powerband is very very peaky. As in it goes from making like 15hp to 40 in 1000rpm or less. They're NUTS.

That said, I made it through just fine. If I didn't have a good amount of experience on streetbikes, and some experience on the dirt I probably would not have had as good of luck. I picked up a newer 450 4t late last year and even though it makes more power than the 250 2t it's much easier to ride due to the more linear powerband. Honestly I wish I would have gotten a 250 4t. Plenty of power, teaches you to commit and keep your speed up through corners.

Basically, I'd suggest either a 125 2t or 250 4t. GET YOURSELF TO THE DIRT THREAD!! :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Didn't someone here own a 440cc 2t or something in that vein? That thing must have been absolutely insane.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KozmoNaut posted:

Didn't someone here own a 440cc 2t or something in that vein? That thing must have been absolutely insane.

Well, the thing about 2 strokes is they're really tuning dependent. Most of them get tuned for top end power, but you can make torque monster 2 strokes if you want.

But yeah, it was probably a monster. :v:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBBoJQehzpA

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 19, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Kommando posted:

some bag of mouldy cocks stopped at a green arrow in front of me yesterday and i dropped the ER5 on its left side in surprise bending the left rear shock. The mechanic says they are rare and expensive. Is this bullshit? Is it easy to replace shocks yourself. I imagine it is.

Stop crashing. :(

nokternl
Jul 24, 2004
WTF?
2 strokes are my favorite in the dirt. The larger bores demand respect. When I was 13, 6'3" and 100 lbs soaking wet, I had a '73 Yamaha mx250. It weighed a ton and pushed crazy hp to the wheel. Every time I took it out the question was "how am I going to injure myself today?" Had it for about a month before I traded down to a Kawasaki ke175.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, me. 1995 KTM 440MXC with FMF pipe. I hate that thing now and it's for sale. Kickstarting it is an olympic event and when the engine is up in the powerband it's like totally uncontrollable. My first few times out with it I was doing accidental wheelies in third gear. Eventually I learned to ride it by just never going into the powerband, but it wasn't much fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sounds like an awesome way to kill yourself extremely quickly. I pity the guy who ends up buying it from you.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This seems like a significant fact of motorcycling that deserves emphasis. I think it would even describe the majority of motorcycling.
I went to bike week in Daytona this year, and I will absolutely concur. Sometimes I think I'm not a very good motorcyclist, cause I wanted to ride my motorcycle with other motorcyclists and watch the 200. Everyone else just wanted to bar hop on their 75k choppers and rev their open pipes at girls.

I will say though that it was simultaneously the most fun and terrifying thing ever to ride around open roads without a helmet.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah, me. 1995 KTM 440MXC with FMF pipe. I hate that thing now and it's for sale. Kickstarting it is an olympic event and when the engine is up in the powerband it's like totally uncontrollable. My first few times out with it I was doing accidental wheelies in third gear. Eventually I learned to ride it by just never going into the powerband, but it wasn't much fun.

Dude, supermoto. Keep that thing.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

KARMA! posted:

Stop crashing. :(

Trying :(

ReelBigLizard posted:

There are loads of generic shocks you could fit too, that's what I did on my BSA. You could even upgrade for probably less than the out of production OEMs will cost you.

Any suggestions for aftermarket shocks?
I'm gonna try and chase this tecshox guy on ebay for some shocks because i cant afford $320 in charity.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mutt2jeff posted:

Dude, supermoto. Keep that thing.
I was kinda tempted by that idea briefly but (aside from not having the money) I think it would be as uncontrollable on the street as off, without some serious porting or something. And then there's the kickstarter, ugh. Would take major mods to make that bike work right.

In one sense (only one) it was a great trail bike cause it had so much torque you could just pin it open from idle and go up any hill.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Kommando posted:

Any suggestions for aftermarket shocks?
I'm gonna try and chase this tecshox guy on ebay for some shocks because i cant afford $320 in charity.

Hagon will probably do a set identical to the OEM shocks for not a whole lot of dollars.

^^^^^^^ Wouldn't porting the engine just make it worse?

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
maybe a goon can shed some light on my situation. i noticed the front brake on my honda rebel (yeahyeah, cute, woman's bike, etc.) was getting spongy so I flushed the breaks. while I was at it, i put new pads in, and replaced the caliper because the piston on the old one was stuck. voila! still spongy. what the gently caress? it's not like it's a complicated system or something. but i am new at this..

i was reading that I could be losing hydraulic pressure due to degradation of the brake line causing it to expand. is this a likely culprit, or should i be looking elsewhere?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I've heard huge 2 strokes like CR500's and such don't make good supermoto bikes. I'd assume them to be too peaky, and you can get almost the same amount of power out of a 450 4t with a much, much more useable powerband. Same for motocross - why use the 2t with peaky power output when you can ride a 4t that you can lug in 3rd all day long and never fall out of the powerband.

That being said, I miss the poo poo out of my KX250 2t and am really looking at a DRZ to trade up to so I can relive my dirtbike shenanigans on the street.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JP Money posted:

I've heard huge 2 strokes like CR500's and such don't make good supermoto bikes. I'd assume them to be too peaky, and you can get almost the same amount of power out of a 450 4t with a much, much more useable powerband. Same for motocross - why use the 2t with peaky power output when you can ride a 4t that you can lug in 3rd all day long and never fall out of the powerband.
I've heard people talk all day about building CR500 track bikes - almost no one ends up doing it and the handful I have come across have unimaginable issues with them either grenading very easily or cracking the frame of the bike from vibration. They don't like long straights or coming off throttle. Talking road course here, not sumo though.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 19, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sixdeadpandas posted:

maybe a goon can shed some light on my situation. i noticed the front brake on my honda rebel (yeahyeah, cute, woman's bike, etc.) was getting spongy so I flushed the breaks. while I was at it, i put new pads in, and replaced the caliper because the piston on the old one was stuck. voila! still spongy. what the gently caress? it's not like it's a complicated system or something. but i am new at this..

i was reading that I could be losing hydraulic pressure due to degradation of the brake line causing it to expand. is this a likely culprit, or should i be looking elsewhere?

Define spongy. You can get some loss of initial bite as the lines flex, but it's not a major component. My bet is you still have air in the lines, if the lever is not firm, or you need to rebuild the master cylinder, if it's consistent but bad.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Shouting Melon posted:

Hagon will probably do a set identical to the OEM shocks for not a whole lot of dollars.

^^^^^^^ Wouldn't porting the engine just make it worse?

Ok, well i understand the reason behind better offroad shocks but what would the benefit of aftermarket shocks be for road use? better ground contact? wouldnt tyres make more of a difference?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

KozmoNaut posted:

There are plenty of ~600cc inline four motorcycles with powerbands that aren't supersport-peaky.

Bandit, GSX-F, FZ6, Hornet etc.

But other than that, I agree 100%. Starting on a supersport is like doing your first skydive solo with a chute you've sewn and packed yourself. Not gonna end well.
Yeah, in retrospect, I worded that poorly.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011

Z3n posted:

Define spongy. You can get some loss of initial bite as the lines flex, but it's not a major component. My bet is you still have air in the lines, if the lever is not firm, or you need to rebuild the master cylinder, if it's consistent but bad.

it just feels soft. i can pull the lever all the way down and the front tire won't lock up. the gasket and everything on the master cylinder look well sealed, but then again i'm no professional. i'll bleed the brakes again tomorrow. i have been doing it manually, hopefully that is not an impediment to perfectly clear lines.

thanks

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, it depends on the setup. A CRM250 geared fairly high and in stock trim (ie untuned), for example, would make a nice first trail bike. A 250 MX bike OTOH (and especially an "old school" one) is geared for about 50-60mph and delivers its power like a sledgehammer hitting you in the small of your back.

As a beginner, you won't even get close to being able to handle the power put down by an uncorked modern 4t MX bike (e.g. any reasonably modern YZ250F). The 2t versions have an even less civilised powerband.

You can't really get an idea of what they're like on dirt just sitting on one or riding around the street, where all dirt bikes will feel like fish out of water. Ideally, see if you can borrow or rent one (schools or try out days) so you're able to get some idea of what they're like. Riding on the road doesn't really give you much of an idea what 30-40hp on dirt feels like.

With all that said, starting on a 2t has the significant advantage that they're mechanically simple. Buying an old 4t, especially a competition engined bike, is asking for a very expensive top-end explosion. Until you have to split the cases at least, keeping an old 2t running will be so much cheaper. If you're buying something older, the 2t's weight advantage is also significant. So you can get a sweet handling bike that's cheaper to run and less fatiguing to ride. The trade off is having to deal with the power band instead of paying attention to other aspects of the ride.

If you have money to burn however, a modern injected 250 4t in trail or enduro trim (e.g. WR250F or WR250R) is significantly easier to ride. Uncorked, they have more than enough power up top. But when you're in the training wheels stage, you can just lug them and still keep moving in a forwards direction.

e: so basically, what needknees said +1. :) And like he said, a smaller 2t would reduce the arrgghhhhfuuuuuckI'mgonnadie factor a bit. KTM 125EXC, or maybe even a 200EXC (although I gather those are sort of like a 250 with less top end, so not necessarily more novice friendly.)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester, I've seen something scarier than your 440 this weekend - an old school Maico 500. I wanted to hide in a corner in case it saw me and attacked.

Saga fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 19, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sixdeadpandas posted:

it just feels soft. i can pull the lever all the way down and the front tire won't lock up. the gasket and everything on the master cylinder look well sealed, but then again i'm no professional. i'll bleed the brakes again tomorrow. i have been doing it manually, hopefully that is not an impediment to perfectly clear lines.

thanks

It's not an impediment, but it is tricky. Sometimes it can help to take the caliper off, put something between the pads (so the lever doesn't bottom) and lift the caliper above the master cylinder. Google all you can on how to bleed motorcycle brakes, there are many tutorials and forum stories. If you have archives, I posted some pics of mounting steel braided hoses and bleeding here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3279096&pagenumber=3

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011

Ola posted:

It's not an impediment, but it is tricky. Sometimes it can help to take the caliper off, put something between the pads (so the lever doesn't bottom) and lift the caliper above the master cylinder. Google all you can on how to bleed motorcycle brakes, there are many tutorials and forum stories. If you have archives, I posted some pics of mounting steel braided hoses and bleeding here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3279096&pagenumber=3

thanks for the link and response. i'll bleed them once more, and it that doesn't work i'll try the trick with raising the caliper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Try bleeding the banjo bolts too.