Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
As of last night Lola is pooping totally normally again! It's finally at the quantity and of the size that I've come to expect of her. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
What do you mean you can't move anywhere else due to cost? Chances are pretty good you'd be able to find another place in the same price range or even cheaper. Hell, my best friend just found a giant one bedroom for $640.

As for the Chicago HRS, they seem to be kind of bitchy there. When I contacted them about the 2 abandoned rabbits my neighbor found in her yard, they berated me as if I was lying about having found them and actually just wanted to dump my pets. I understand that there are plenty of jackasses dumping rabbits on them, but they could treat people less rudely, particularly when the people have done nothing wrong.

Honestly you're going to have a hell of a time trying to find owners or a shelter for them. It would be less work to just pick up and move.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Melicious posted:

What do you mean you can't move anywhere else due to cost? Chances are pretty good you'd be able to find another place in the same price range or even cheaper. Hell, my best friend just found a giant one bedroom for $640.

As for the Chicago HRS, they seem to be kind of bitchy there. When I contacted them about the 2 abandoned rabbits my neighbor found in her yard, they berated me as if I was lying about having found them and actually just wanted to dump my pets. I understand that there are plenty of jackasses dumping rabbits on them, but they could treat people less rudely, particularly when the people have done nothing wrong.

Honestly you're going to have a hell of a time trying to find owners or a shelter for them. It would be less work to just pick up and move.

Part of the issue is that moving out of the city isn't an option since my wife teaches for CPS, and the one bedrooms we've seen anywhere within 30 minutes of where my wife works either A) won't take rabbits and our one cat would be an extra $500 deposit, or B) one bedroom means the cat will always be harassing and stressing the buns.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Fenarisk posted:

Part of the issue is that moving out of the city isn't an option since my wife teaches for CPS, and the one bedrooms we've seen anywhere within 30 minutes of where my wife works either A) won't take rabbits and our one cat would be an extra $500 deposit, or B) one bedroom means the cat will always be harassing and stressing the buns.

Nobody I know lives outside of the city, I'm talking within Chicago. What neighborhoods are you looking in? What neighborhood is your wife's work in? Seriously, it sounds like you're being kind of defeatist.

Edit: Ok I don't know what your budget is but these are crazy cheap, in all different areas of the city, and take cats.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312972728.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312933598.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312876089.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312854334.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312843163.html

Melicious fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 8, 2011

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Melicious posted:

Nobody I know lives outside of the city, I'm talking within Chicago. What neighborhoods are you looking in? What neighborhood is your wife's work in? Seriously, it sounds like you're being kind of defeatist.

Edit: Ok I don't know what your budget is but these are crazy cheap, in all different areas of the city, and take cats.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312972728.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312933598.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312876089.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312854334.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2312843163.html

We're not trying to beat you up, but keep looking. I live in one of the most expensive areas of the United States and I've always been able to find a pet friendly place in my price range. Also, if they don't list pets other than cats and dogs, call. I've had a ton of places not take dogs but take cats and other animals and a lot of places that don't take cats or dogs but took "caged animals". For simplicity sake, I call rabbits "caged animals". They don't need to know mine are free roaming.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

The vet thinks Lewis' mass is an enlarged lymph node. He's going on antibiotics for a while and a pathologist is going to look at the (next to zero) bit of fluid she got on aspiration. Three tries and nothing but a tiny bit of blood.

Fenarisk posted:

:words:

http://www.padmapper.com/

Why not get rid of the cat?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Foaming Chicken posted:

http://www.padmapper.com/

Why not get rid of the cat?

Presumably because the cat isn't a tiny destructive rear end in a top hat that racks up vet bills at an alarming rate.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
We have a one bedroom apartment, and when we aren't home we lock the cat in the other room from the rabbits. Usually the rabbits are in the living room, so the cat goes in the bedroom. When we're home the cat can go everywhere. It works well for us.

Oh and definitely call rabbits "caged animals;" we've gotten them into a couple of apartments with that.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
My dad has started feeding yogurt-covered raisins to the rabbits as treats. This isn't harmful to them, is it? Penny loves them and George snubs them completely. Yogurt-covered raisins sound harmless but obviously I'm wary of any 'people food.'

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Huge Liability posted:

My dad has started feeding yogurt-covered raisins to the rabbits as treats. This isn't harmful to them, is it? Penny loves them and George snubs them completely. Yogurt-covered raisins sound harmless but obviously I'm wary of any 'people food.'

That sounds like it would be really sugary and fatty, and hence bad.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Huge Liability posted:

They can be treats, but the buns will be ingesting more sugar which can lead to weight gain. Give them sparingly. :)

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I was buying groceries yesterday and told the cashier not to worry about handling the dill too delicately, it was for my pet rabbit. She smiled and said "I didn't realize rabbits like dill. I had a pet rabbit that lived to be 25 years old."
Me: :stare: "Are...are you, wow, that is really, REALLY old for a rabbit"
Her: "Oh yes, we were all surprised. The vet was expecting 15 or so. When they're indoors and protected they can live for a very long time you know"

She said it was just "a plain white rabbit we found in the yard."

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Foaming Chicken posted:

I was buying groceries yesterday and told the cashier not to worry about handling the dill too delicately, it was for my pet rabbit. She smiled and said "I didn't realize rabbits like dill. I had a pet rabbit that lived to be 25 years old."
Her: "Oh yes, we were all surprised. The vet was expecting 15 or so. When they're indoors and protected they can live for a very long time you know"

:stare:

I have a hard time believing that. Can anyone confirm hearing ones getting this old?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Bunway Airlines posted:

:stare:

I have a hard time believing that. Can anyone confirm hearing ones getting this old?

Guinness Book of World Records says 16. Maybe her parents were quietly buying new rabbits when the old ones died?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

RazorBunny posted:

Guinness Book of World Records says 16. Maybe her parents were quietly buying new rabbits when the old ones died?

This is what I was wondering but still :wtf:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Foaming Chicken posted:

I've had some odd conversations with cashiers/baggers over having a pet rabbit that lives....INSIDE the home. But I've never heard of anyone having a bunny live to be 25. That is insane, but also a dream. I wish mine would outlive my cats, but unfortunately it looks like the cats will be the ones living to 25 instead :(

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Windy posted:

I've had some odd conversations with cashiers/baggers over having a pet rabbit that lives....INSIDE the home. But I've never heard of anyone having a bunny live to be 25. That is insane, but also a dream. I wish mine would outlive my cats, but unfortunately it looks like the cats will be the ones living to 25 instead :(

I'm sure it just stuck in my mind because Lewis is always a little sick and I'm currently dealing with his neck/shoulder mass. I should remember that I've been lucky to have 4 years with him.

The pathology report came back, not a lymph node, no bacteria. My vet suggested just taking it out. He's just started a 2 week course of antibiotics, I figure why not. ~$250 with anesthesia. Drop him off in the morning and pick him up in the afternoon :(

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

I'm surprised the record is only 16, as I thought it wasn't unusual for the larger rabbits to get well into their teens.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Bitsy has a sore on her back leg. The vet saw it previously and said if it wasn't bothering her it isn't a big deal. It certainly doesn't seem to bother her but I think that it is getting / did get bigger? It's just a little spot where there is what seems like a pink callous. Not bleeding or open. Is this normal? She doesn't over groom it or anything.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

CampingCarl posted:

I'm surprised the record is only 16, as I thought it wasn't unusual for the larger rabbits to get well into their teens.

The most recent record I can find is from 2009, so I suppose that same bun could be 18 now. It seemed low to me too, but I don't know that much about buns.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

RazorBunny posted:

The most recent record I can find is from 2009, so I suppose that same bun could be 18 now. It seemed low to me too, but I don't know that much about buns.

I sort of suspect that rabbits are such "disposable" creatures that few people keep track of those things. Maybe breeders keep those kinds of records, but I don't know if breeders keep any rabbits going to the upper limit of their natural lives.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions regarding outpatient bunny surgery involving anesthesia?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Foaming Chicken posted:

I sort of suspect that rabbits are such "disposable" creatures that few people keep track of those things. Maybe breeders keep those kinds of records, but I don't know if breeders keep any rabbits going to the upper limit of their natural lives.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions regarding outpatient bunny surgery involving anesthesia?

Cilantro was always a bit woozy from her anesthetics the first couple of times she went in for abscess lancing and cleaning. We left her in her carrier until she was more alert since she was still getting used to us and letting her out usually turned into scared, drunken bunny hi-jinks.

Towards the end of the abscess saga, the vet started only giving her nitrous as the effects wore off faster and she took to it well.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro was always a bit woozy from her anesthetics the first couple of times she went in for abscess lancing and cleaning. We left her in her carrier until she was more alert since she was still getting used to us and letting her out usually turned into scared, drunken bunny hi-jinks.

Towards the end of the abscess saga, the vet started only giving her nitrous as the effects wore off faster and she took to it well.

Did she tell you secrets?

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I love the little things rabbits do. I come back from a few hours out doing karaoke with friends, to find the ceramic bowl shaped like a carrot pushed about 7 feet across my hardwood floors. And knocked over. Because I had the audacity to leave without it being OVERFLOWING, just 2/3rds full of hay.

But both of my bunnies were curled up asleep together in the cardboard box I gave them, which is way too drat adorable to be upset about the huge mess of hay.

Also the one completely neurotic rabbit that likes to sit on boxes, almost like hes on a podium. I figure its just a rabbit thing, but its hilarious and awesome.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Lobsterboy posted:

I love the little things rabbits do. I come back from a few hours out doing karaoke with friends, to find the ceramic bowl shaped like a carrot pushed about 7 feet across my hardwood floors. And knocked over. Because I had the audacity to leave without it being OVERFLOWING, just 2/3rds full of hay.

If it's the same ceramic carrot dish that I use for Debbie's veggies, you're not feeding enough hay.

But I think that dish in general begs to be messed with. She's flipped it over, pushed it into a hide, and once I found it in her litter box. She's a small rabbit. How she got that dish up and over the side of her litter box with just her nose is baffling.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Billy often leaves foul-smelling squishy cecals lying around (chronic GI problems) and then pushes his big ceramic dish all around the cage. That's a bad thing to wake up to.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I has a sad. :smith:

My 18-year-old cousin, G, just called me crying because her pet bunny died. I feel sad because I did everything I could to convince her not to get a rabbit, but she got one anyway.

G is a freshman in college and living in a dorm. She had been keeping Lottie in the suite bathroom but moved her to her bedroom. 5 days ago the RA found out, so G took Lottie to a friend's house. Lottie passed away during the night and G doesn't know why. She was approximately 8 months old.

I'd pointed G toward the House Rabbit Society webpage to give her info and pointers for diet and litter issues.

Good night, sweet bun.

Edit:

luscious posted:

Did she tell you secrets?

No, but she was still in the "I don't know if I trust you yet" phase. We'd let her out of her carrier the first two times while she was still loopy and my wife would take advantage of her medicated state to pet her. At first, Cilantro would try her best to drunkenly crawl away on tippy-toes and kinda sideways, but my wife would patiently follow her to whatever corner she ended up in and just softly pet her until Cilantro fell asleep.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 14, 2011

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

pseudonordic posted:

Good night, sweet bun.

Oh no, she was a total cutie and just a baby too. :(

Goondolences to your cousin, man.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

My muppet goes in for surgery tomorrow

:ohdear:

edit:

double edit:

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 18, 2011

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Foaming Chicken posted:

My muppet goes in for surgery tomorrow

Fingers crossed! And I'm stealing your bun-moticons!

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Steal away! Isn't it funny how much they show feelings through their ears? I read The Language of Lagomorphs a while back and it helped me interpret bunny ear/body language. I generally don't try to "speak back," but I do take care to groom my rabbit's face more often.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's an interesting link. I'm gonna have to keep that in mind next time I watch the wild rabbits around my house and see if I can figure them out. So far it largely seems to be "get off this is my patch of grass" and more recently "hey wanna have sex." Regular rabbit talk.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 18, 2011

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

My bunny is fine

The vet didn't think he'd be able to get at the wound and gave him stitches. I thought it was within his mouth's range so she put him in a onesie.

I'm going to get some turtleneck onesies later today.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Foaming Chicken posted:

My bunny is fine

The vet didn't think he'd be able to get at the wound and gave him stitches. I thought it was within his mouth's range so she put him in a onesie.

Glad he's fine! Yay!

If you get a black turtleneck for him, get him a teeny-tiny beret as well.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Foaming Chicken posted:

My bunny is fine

Careful he doesn't kill you in your sleep, he looks so upset about that getup!

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

okiecompy posted:

Careful he doesn't kill you in your sleep, he looks so upset about that getup!

It might be out of mouth range, but I think he can still scratch his stitches with his foot. He ate his dill last night and pooped a little but hasn't made a dent in his pellets <:mad:>

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
That is a unique looking rabbit, what is he?

I'm glad he's ok, I'm fortunate in that I've never had to take mine to the vet.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Bunway Airlines posted:

That is a unique looking rabbit, what is he?

I'm glad he's ok, I'm fortunate in that I've never had to take mine to the vet.

He's an English Angora. The fluffy face and ears are the features that distinguish them from the other Angora varieties. He looks like a lionhead there because his body fluff is compressed by his onesie.

When you google image EAs you get a lot of pictures of the upper limits of fluffiness

Here's a less poofy black EA for comparison:

Almost all of the "holy poo poo is there really a rabbit in there" pictures come from Betty Chu

To get wool to that length you have to obsessively groom them with an air blower. When I first got Lewis his foster mother showed me how to do this with a shop-vac on the blower setting. I tried it once or twice with a hair-dryer set to "cool" but stopped as because it upset him. So I generally brush him with a pin comb (which seems to piss him off to a lesser extent but takes longer, so I guess it's a wash)
/angorachat

Lewis is okay in that his surgery went well. Bad Things™ can still happen, like wound infection (which would likely cause ANOTHER abscess), him tearing out his stitches, or what I'm most worried about right now, GI stasis.

He ate a bunch of dill yesterday and he's happily munching on some right now, but he hasn't touched his pellets or hay. He needs the fiber to have proper bowel motility. I'm about to start calling around for Critical Care. Does anyone have thoughts on making a poor man's CC by dissolving pellets in some plain yogurt and water? Goin' on a roadtrip to get this stuff for my spoiled rear end rabbit

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 19, 2011

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I thought he was an angora but I just am used to seeing them fluffier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

^^^Sorry for over-explaining, I'm used to getting "IS THAT A DOG WHAT KIND OF DOG IS THAT" and launching into my angora spiel.

I hope I'm not blowing up this thread with surgery chat, but arghgggsdfjsl;g. Do you know what's more fun than changing a rabbit's onesie? Realizing you sewed the neckline too snug and picking him back up, flipping him over, and cutting slits in the arm holes. Oh how his teeth chattered with rage. He eventually calmed down and let me pet him for a while.

Has anyone here ever switched vets? The place I went to for critical care sees "a ton of rabbits." I like my current vet's personality and location, but I think she mostly works with cats and sees the occasional bunny.