Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

Lurchibles posted:

Was that actually any good? I heard mixed things... It's dirt cheap on Amazon but the user-review thing (star rating) is incredibly low!

From what I remember with the low review scores is that a lot of people went into it expecting it to be more like an action game. Also the pc version is buggy as poo poo I hear, so pick it up for a console. You can probably find it pretty cheap.

It starts off slow, but gets fun as hell as you start pulling off bad rear end spy poo poo. It's worth a couple of playthroughs as the story branches off based on conversation choices. Playing as a dick is highly entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

BigRed0427 posted:

I havn't played DA2, what is it that pisses you guys off so much about it?
Essentially, it changed most of the strategic elements of the first game without fully fleshing out a better combat system, cut a number of features without replacing them, reused a very limited number of areas in amazingly uncreative ways, had a poorly written story that went nowhere and didn't make sense, and was as obvious a quick cash-in as you could cobble together.

That said, some of the party members are actually really well done, and some of the combat elements could have been spectacular if they had put in enough time to refine the system. As it stands, you basically mash X (or autoattack) and wait a long time for your ability cooldowns while watching the screen get covered in explosions of gore that attempt to conceal the lack of gameplay or strategy.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I think the question is what doesn't DA2 do to piss people off

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

BigRed0427 posted:

Because now I get to be scared that the people who made DA2 will touch Mass Effect 3.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

That said, some of the party members are actually really well done,

Varric and Aveline are awesome. The rest are deeply terrible in some way or another. Additionally, it's the absolute worst game I've seen yet at making your opinions or character building actually matter.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'd like to highly recommend Neir to anyone who misses the good olde days of a solid story, aspergian grinding (99% optional), and pretty good combat system. It is like Shadow of the Colossus in sense of stroy but with more enemies and the grinding subquests of FFX.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

reused a very limited number of areas in amazingly uncreative ways

It really can't be overstated how lazy they got with the levels. I read a review that mentioned that before I got the game and figured it was just the usual hyperbole, but holy hell it was the opposite.

To give you an example: They have one loving cave map for every single cave in the game. The way they change it up is by having 2-3 branches in the cave and blocking certain branches off with plain grey doors/panels that look so god drat out of place that you'll think they're kidding. But the rest of the cave will be literally the same exact cave as the last one you were in. I usually don't care about things like that, but all you loving do in the first half of the game (as far as I got) is go through loving caves, and seeing literally the same exact one a dozen times gets old quick.

Also you spend a bunch of time in the beginning of the game in this big City doing quests and poo poo to get enough money to go on some epic expedition to some mysterious underground passage. So 10 hours later you're done doing quests, you're ready to move on, and so you go on the expedition and.... this epic, glorious expedition which they've been talking up all god drat game takes like an hour MAX to go through because it's just a couple of maps that you run through before reaching the big boss. Everything before/after is just loving cutscenes telling you how much time you've spent getting there. At one point your characters have to make their way back from the deep underground passage that you're in, so they just have a cutscene where, and I'm not kidding, they just say "Whelp we made it back, and in only 5 days, yay!" Then you have another cutscene, a loving year passes, and you're thrown back into the same loving city that you're sick and loving tired of by that point to do more loving quests because even though you've become ludicrously rich(which we know because a loving cutscene tells you), you're still everyone's loving errand boy.

Jesus, I didn't realize how much that game pissed me off until I started writing this.

VDay fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 17, 2011

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Bigass Moth posted:

I'd like to highly recommend Neir to anyone who misses the good olde days of a solid story, aspergian grinding (99% optional), and pretty good combat system. It is like Shadow of the Colossus in sense of stroy but with more enemies and the grinding subquests of FFX.

Not to mention some of the best voice acting and music Ive ever heard in a video game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Node posted:

Whoever told you it is worse story wise is a dumbass, because no one plays those games for the story.

In Armored Princess, the hero is female: a strike against immersion and believability if I ever heard one!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Evoq posted:

Can anyone suggest a good RPG that isnt some crapfest JRPG or some worthless shat-out RPGMaker game? Preferably nothing from the 90s (2d/isometrics are fine as long as the interface and visuals arent trash) since Ive played em all and dont care to put up with them again. Ive played all the usual suspects/popular RPGs and am just trying to find something Ive overlooked, some crazy Eastern European RPG that Ive never heard of, or RPG-lites like Deus Ex, only good. Id like to stay away from fantasy but thats like asking a blind man to get you water in the desert.

I would mention I dont have a console but nobody makes good RPGs for them anyway, so.

If you haven't played it already, try Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden. I guarantee that you won't regret it.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

VDay posted:

It really can't be overstated how lazy they got with the levels. I read a review that mentioned that before I got the game and figured it was just the usual hyperbole, but holy hell it was the opposite.

To give you an example: They have one loving cave map for every single cave in the game. The way they change it up is by having 2-3 branches in the cave and blocking certain branches off with plain grey doors/panels that look so god drat out of place that you'll think they're kidding. But the rest of the cave will be literally the same exact cave as the last one you were in. I usually don't care about things like that, but all you loving do in the first half of the game (as far as I got) is go through loving caves, and seeing literally the same exact one a dozen times gets old quick.

Also you spend a bunch of time in the beginning of the game in this big City doing quests and poo poo to get enough money to go on some epic expedition to some mysterious underground passage. So 10 hours later you're done doing quests, you're ready to move on, and so you go on the expedition and.... this epic, glorious expedition which they've been talking up all god drat game takes like an hour MAX to go through because it's just a couple of maps that you run through before reaching the big boss. Everything before/after is just loving cutscenes telling you how much time you've spent getting there. At one point your characters have to make their way back from the deep underground passage that you're in, so they just have a cutscene where, and I'm not kidding, they just say "Whelp we made it back, and in only 5 days, yay!" Then you have another cutscene, a loving year passes, and you're thrown back into the same loving city that you're sick and loving tired of by that point to do more loving quests because even though you've become ludicrously rich(which we know because a loving cutscene tells you), you're still everyone's loving errand boy.

Jesus, I didn't realize how much that game pissed me off until I started writing this.
For some reason reading this reminded me of the .hack// games (the first series anyways). Except the repetition in that game was explained as part of the setting and ended up making it feel kinda neat.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Evoq posted:

Can anyone suggest a good RPG that isnt some crapfest JRPG or some worthless shat-out RPGMaker game? Preferably nothing from the 90s (2d/isometrics are fine as long as the interface and visuals arent trash) since Ive played em all and dont care to put up with them again. Ive played all the usual suspects/popular RPGs and am just trying to find something Ive overlooked, some crazy Eastern European RPG that Ive never heard of, or RPG-lites like Deus Ex, only good. Id like to stay away from fantasy but thats like asking a blind man to get you water in the desert.

I would mention I dont have a console but nobody makes good RPGs for them anyway, so.
Wouldn't hurt if you listed games you've played. What about the Witcher? It's one of those Eastern European RPGs that was quite popular.

Wendell posted:

I got Lunar: Silver Star Harmony off the PSN (19.99, not bad), and it feels so good to be playing this again. I'm actually amazed how much of the game I remember since I last played it when the PSX version was new, right down to individual townsfolk having familiar dialogue.

The new graphics are really nice, and I certainly don't mind dungeons being smaller and thus less of a drag.
Wasn't the translation completely different due to the fact that it wasn't done by Working Designs? It should have had a lot less pop culture references.

I kinda wish I had my PSP so I could replay this.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Amazon's Video Game Deal of the Day is a shitton of Atlus games (and a couple NIS games I guess) today including Radiant Historia, Demon's Souls, Persona 3 and 4 . . . (Lots of games I already bought of course. :sigh:) Go check it out if there're any Atlus-shaped holes in your gaming collection.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is Ar Tonelcio Qoga as crappy as it looks?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

Is that the one where the girls taking off clothes mid-battle is a game mechanic?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Zereth posted:

Is that the one where the girls taking off clothes mid-battle is a game mechanic?

Isnt that The Third Birthday?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

Isnt that The Third Birthday?
I thought the only game named like that was... Parasite Eve?

And I just did some checking, and yes: Qoga is the one where the girls taking off clothes in the middle of battle is a game mechanic. I think I can confidently say it's at least as crappy as you think it is without looking into it any further than that.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah the stories aren't really noteworthy at all. AP has better balanced out a lot of things, but I personally much prefer The Legend's area layouts and overall pacing better.
AP has improvements (including less backtracking) but Legend was a little bit funnier and more coherent. Still, you can't go wrong with either. The third expansion, Crosswords, is unfortunately a weak cash-in that adds a handful of new units and items to the AP campaign, and a couple of really short arena-fighting campaigns. If you can get it for cheap then by all means, but it's disappointing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ice Blue posted:

Wasn't the translation completely different due to the fact that it wasn't done by Working Designs? It should have had a lot less pop culture references.

I kinda wish I had my PSP so I could replay this.

I knew I was recognizing lines, but I thought it was strange since it had to be a new translation so I looked into it. They stuck with the Working Designs translation for the most part, but took out any 90s pop culture references and of course did their own translation for the brief new scenes.

Edit: I just youtubed Ar Tonelico Qoga and it's disgusting. I did not need to see a naked 12 year old in my youtube video. Anyone who plays this should be on a watch list.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 18, 2011

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

VDay posted:

DA2
I went into it without having played the first game for more than a couple of hours or hearing any hype, and I was way too busy enjoying the combat (on the highest difficulty setting, where there's no button-mashing) and characters to be bugged by anything other than the map re-use. A friend of mine played through Origins and had the same experience. I'd say it's worth a rental or whatever for people who like the combat system.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lemur Crisis posted:

I'd say it's worth a rental or whatever for people who like the combat system.

For what it's worth, I did get through the first act just fine; it was the second act and then on that it really became soul-sapping to try to put up with, as I looked at the entire town crawling with sidequests to the same drat locations and just went 'urrrrrrgh I don't care anymore'.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Stelas posted:

For what it's worth, I did get through the first act just fine; it was the second act and then on that it really became soul-sapping to try to put up with, as I looked at the entire town crawling with sidequests to the same drat locations and just went 'urrrrrrgh I don't care anymore'.

The combat "waves" are so soul destroying, especially because they get harder. I was holding off the better moves for waves that never came sometime, or waves that kept coming other times. Ended up installing a mod to reduce cooldowns, made it slightly more bearable!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I didn't have much of a problem with waves in and of themselves - having a rogue and a couple stacked mages made most things blow up real quick - so much as the way they would always ambush you and basically negate any sensible strategic positioning you could possibly do. It just contributed to the button-mash feel; you couldn't smartly maneuver your way a single battle.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Meme Emulator posted:

Ar Tonelico 2 is really, really good if you can get past some of the camp.

Qoga is loving terrible.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Yeah, I've put a few hours into Qoga but it hasn't grabbed me at all. Not even the combat can save it, it's so basic.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm trying to play through Qoga because man, I really do like most of Gust's stuff and the glory days of Mana Khemia especially, but it's just dire. I can't even enjoy it as a dumb trainwreck because it constantly and relentlessly makes you feel seriously uncomfortable. All the kind-of-dumb-and-charming innuendo has instead been given the subtlety and grace of a sledgehammer.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Am I the only person who really enjoyed Final Fantasy X? I do yearly playthroughs just because i find it to be so much fun. I loved the turnbased combat, the graphics are still decent, and bender stars in it. The story is dumb but as the first ( and last, besides 13 which i couldnt inish) FF game i ever played, i have very fond memories. Its like Oblivion for me, I feel like I was the only one who enjoyed it.

EDIT: Oh i forgot the sphere grid. Probably the best part of the game.

Galactic fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 19, 2011

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
The combat was a good base but it just didn't give you enough interesting strategic decisions.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

S Danger K posted:

Am I the only person who really enjoyed Final Fantasy X? I do yearly playthroughs just because i find it to be so much fun. I loved the turnbased combat, the graphics are still decent, and bender stars in it. The story is dumb but as the first ( and last, besides 13 which i couldnt inish) FF game i ever played, i have very fond memories. Its like Oblivion for me, I feel like I was the only one who enjoyed it.

EDIT: Oh i forgot the sphere grid. Probably the best part of the game.

It was the first Final Fantasy game I played. I got ahold of an International copy my friend stole from some place and I went back to the first town to get something I missed and ended up encountering the dark Valefor. The only way I could beat him was to throw most of my money at Yojimbo to do the instant death attack he has. When I got my own PS2 one of the games I got was FFX.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
International copy?! I gotta get my hands on that.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
I've been pretty disappointed with every final fantasy game after 9 (I didn't really care for 8 much, either, but it was okay). They seem to have set aside exploration, character development and sidequests for wierd stories and "maps" that are more like corridors where you run from point A to point B, kill things on the way, then watch cutscenes; rinse, repeat. The combat systems are cool, and the graphics are spectacular, but that's really the only thing they've got going for them.

My favorite Final Fantasy game still is, and will likely always be, FF3 on the SNES. A huge world with tons of optional side stuff waiting to be explored, some of the deepest and most interesting characters in any game, a fantastic storyline, a genuinely interesting setting and a bunch of cool optional (and some hidden) characters.

When I first played it, I probably dumped more than twenty hours into that game, thinking I'd finally gotten to the end and was about to beat it. Then the world ends, and you play a whole new game for at least another good twenty hours!

It really is a fantastic game. The only other game that still holds a candle to it is Chrono Trigger. A fun story with likeable characters, time-travelling mechanics that actually make meaningful changes in different eras depending on what you do and can give you any one of about a dozen different endings, some of the best music of any 16-bit era RPG, and lots of side stuff to be found through exploration.

I still play through both of these games like once every couple years :allears:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Ar Tonelico 2 is really, really good if you can get past some of the camp.

Are we calling it "camp" now? Ever since Paul Reubens was arrested, I thought "kitsch" was the accepted euphemism.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Are we calling it "camp" now? Ever since Paul Reubens was arrested, I thought "kitsch" was the accepted euphemism.

What do either of these terms even mean?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
On the subject of awful RPGs, playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope at the moment

It's enjoyable.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Jadz posted:

My favorite Final Fantasy game still is, and will likely always be, FF3 on the SNES. A huge world with tons of optional side stuff waiting to be explored, some of the deepest and most interesting characters in any game, a fantastic storyline, a genuinely interesting setting and a bunch of cool optional (and some hidden) characters.

Good news man! You just made a friend!

Me! I'm the friend!

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Doc Hawkins posted:

For what it's worth, this review by our very own Sam Bishop is spot on and crystalizes my thoughts on the game perfectly.

http://totalplaystation.com/ps2/ar-tonelico-ii-melody-of-metafalica/reviews/8185/

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Jadz posted:

When I first played it, I probably dumped more than twenty hours into that game, thinking I'd finally gotten to the end and was about to beat it. Then the world ends, and you play a whole new game for at least another good twenty hours!

It really is a fantastic game. The only other game that still holds a candle to it is Chrono Trigger. A fun story with likeable characters, time-travelling mechanics that actually make meaningful changes in different eras depending on what you do and can give you any one of about a dozen different endings, some of the best music of any 16-bit era RPG, and lots of side stuff to be found through exploration.

I still play through both of these games like once every couple years :allears:

With the exception of the first paragraph (I actually liked the change of pace that XII's combat system brought, especially since you could set up your own gambits), I agree with the poster above. FF3/FF6 gets a playthrough a year, Chrono Trigger about every eighteen months (though with the DS remake, that might become a yearly thing until/if FF6DS is released).

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

Polite Tim posted:

On the subject of awful RPGs, playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope at the moment

It's enjoyable.

I played Til the End of Time on PS2 when it came out. Besides the absurd twist at the end it was a decent game. I played The Last Hope when it came out and hated everything about it, I guess my childhood accepted anime a lot more then my adult self.

aversion
Mar 4, 2004

fighting visual crime
Are there any good iPad RPG's worth playing? Super Brothers looks fun but I fear it may be style over content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

aversion posted:

Are there any good iPad RPG's worth playing? Super Brothers looks fun but I fear it may be style over content.

Dungeon Raid is a puzzler/RPG, dunno if it works for IPAD but I got it for my phone a few days ago and I am hooked. Goonmade too if that matters
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401319