Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Finished up the 5-a-side indoor league last week, lost in the 7th/8th playoff 3-2. We were missing one of our better forwards - he was playing tennis or something. Come to work this week and find out he's done his foot bad enough to require surgery - am I a bad person for writing "less tennis, more footbal" on his 'get-well' card? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

horrible headcold, went to play anyway in the hope of sweating it out.

Scored 5 goals in around 25mins, went in goal for the rest of the game because it was getting embarrassing, we won 5-1.

Wish I could play like that every week

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thel posted:

am I a bad person for writing "less tennis, more footbal" on his 'get-well' card? :v:

Nope. I have a friend who will never come and play in our 5 a side games but will happily go and play tennis with his dad. I mean he's a social reject and a boring drole oval office to be around but he could make an effort and come play at least once.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
After about a year and a half of constant travel for work, I'll finally be in one location for a few months, which means I get to start playing again :D Now, to find a team or two in DC...

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Played my usual wednesday nights.

About 3 minutes slide in on their loving massive centre forward, we're talking like a white Drogba here, good in the air, skillful and loving powerful people bounced off him. Anyway slid in while covering at the back, knocked the ball out but he collapsed onto me. Dead leg for me. Top of my left thigh is already bruising, still hurts.

Going for a 50-50 later, manage to get to the ball first and nip it past the defender intending to sprint on round him (play through the pain!), clumsey fucker lands a couple of studs in the back of my right calf.

Spent the next half hour like a loving cripple, tomorow is going to be a fun walk to work. Still managed to net after a poor goal kick hit their defender and fell almost perfectly for me, ended 2-2 overall so can't complain there.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
My sunday night match was atrocious

They were way better than us. No question.

We were down 3 or 4 goals at the half. So our two main guys started playing a little more aggressively. One guy kinda ran into another dude, nothing that serious, but he still got a yellow. Ugh. Fine. Whatever. But then another of our guys got full on slide tackled a minute later, and their player didn't get carded at all.

So we complained a bunch.. and that just made the ref mad at us.

THEN we were down 6-2 with 5 minutes left(we were the first team to score on these guys, so that was cool), and they still played incredibly aggressively. You get penalized for sportsmanship points if the goal difference is more than 5. But I guess they just HAD to have that extra goal. I was ready to give them the extra goals just to point out that they were playing like assholes and running up the score.

A bunch of our players got manhandled, including some of our more timid girls. Sure play aggressively with me, I can take it. I know how to fall. I can dive roll. But not our girls who just sit back and defend. uuggghhh.

So the match ends and the ref not only gives them bonus sportsmanship points, but turns out, he's friends with two of the guys on the team. Like, really good friends. Sooooo that's awesome.

We go to the other official, who was watching the match, but just there to sign people in for all the matches that night. And we say we want to file a formal complaint about how the match was officiated. And she says sure, we can talk to her boss.... who just happened to be on the other team!!!!

Forget it Jake, it's Berkeley IM sports

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

BlueBayou posted:

We go to the other official, who was watching the match, but just there to sign people in for all the matches that night. And we say we want to file a formal complaint about how the match was officiated. And she says sure, we can talk to her boss.... who just happened to be on the other team!!!!

lol, well that's frustrating!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

A bunch of our players got manhandled, including some of our more timid girls. Sure play aggressively with me, I can take it. I know how to fall. I can dive roll. But not our girls who just sit back and defend. uuggghhh.

That's the one thing that makes my blood boil when playing coed.

Congrats, you can tackle a girl; unfortunately, I tackle a lot harder than you do, and I'm certainly not above a retaliation clattering.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Bobby Digital posted:

That's the one thing that makes my blood boil when playing coed.

Congrats, you can tackle a girl; unfortunately, I tackle a lot harder than you do, and I'm certainly not above a retaliation clattering.

Sigh the timid girls also dont wear shin guards.

I do. But I'm not timid. I show up on my motorcycle, with a Real jersey (heheh I wore a Real jersey and Spurs shorts last game, I could tell who follows soccer based on how people reacted to that combination), shin guards, proper footy boots etc. So yeah, come after me. But not the tiny asian girl who is just playing because we needed more girls and she's in our department.

One of our more aggressive girls doesnt wear them.... and she pays for it, but she at least brings it on herself. Well, she brings a few boots to the shins on herself, not getting tackled to the turf.... like what happened last match. Ugh I have to stop thinking about it.

The real problem is that IM sports here only has two real leagues, Open and Co-Rec. Open is for anyone, but is dominated by male only teams. Co-Rec is co-ed and has everything from crazy good teams that don't want to be at the bottom of the open league to slapdash teams just out there to have fun. We are mid-range, which leads to one-sided games on both sides. Occasionally we play another mid-range team and it's just a blast. Both sides have a lot of fun. It's competitive, but fun and fair. The guys maybe get a little aggressive, but really only with each other. We just play football and its brilliant.

Blerg.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Just played my first game of outdoor in years, I'd forgotten how loving cunty soccer players are. Studs-up two-footed tackles, sliding in on goalies (with solid contact), and more holding than a loving ballroom dance.

e: Ironically the only injury I have is a bruise from blocking a shot.

Thel fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 16, 2011

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Played my first "official" match lastnight. 7v7 small field indoor. Start outdoor play next week.

The team lost it's season opener last week in an awful 4-0 defeat, but we came back strong lastnight to pick up a 3-1 win against a pretty strong opponent. I played back and feel good about having put a lot of pressure on their attackers.

Can't wait for next week.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I loving hate long ball.

loving hate hate hate hate hate.

We have a centre forward who is wicked bad in the air. Aside from myself and 1 other player (6'3 and 6'2 respectivly) we have no one over 6 foot.

STOP loving HOOFING IT YOU IDIOTS. Sure it looks effective that one time we score, but how can you ignore how we loving dominate games when we play it on the floor. Arghhhhh I hate you all

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I loving hate long ball.

loving hate hate hate hate hate.

We have a centre forward who is wicked bad in the air. Aside from myself and 1 other player (6'3 and 6'2 respectivly) we have no one over 6 foot.

STOP loving HOOFING IT YOU IDIOTS. Sure it looks effective that one time we score, but how can you ignore how we loving dominate games when we play it on the floor. Arghhhhh I hate you all

You could be me and the last time you got on the end of a hoof ball you took your eye off it to check on a defender, misjudged it, had it twat you on the back of your head then knock you on your arse. :haw:

The 6 a side I play in actually manages some pretty nice passing but certainly not afraid of the long ball to the six foot clogger if the defenders have wandered up to try and goal hang. After doing in my hamstring a couple of weeks ago I've been back in goal (where I played at school/college). Forgot how much I enjoyed it. Especially when you get to take out said clogger with a perfectly time rush to feet. :getin:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I could never play with those of you that get upset at tackling and aggressive play. I guess that's what I get from playing in competitive leagues my whole life. I step on the pitch and I'm just angry

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Scored past the other teams keeper the other night and he went on a huge babby fit screaming at his defence, he then grabbed one of them and shoved his gloves into this guys chest and said "you go in, this defence is loving poo poo"

He then proceeded to sit behind the goal for a few minutes until they pulled one back then he came back on as an outfield player like 5 minutes from the end. When the full-time whistle went his stormed off and wheelspun his car in the carpark for like a minute before eventually driving off like a oval office.

Never seen anyone rage like a literal child before, was quite funny.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thirteenth Step posted:

Scored past the other teams keeper the other night and he went on a huge babby fit screaming at his defence, he then grabbed one of them and shoved his gloves into this guys chest and said "you go in, this defence is loving poo poo"

He then proceeded to sit behind the goal for a few minutes until they pulled one back then he came back on as an outfield player like 5 minutes from the end. When the full-time whistle went his stormed off and wheelspun his car in the carpark for like a minute before eventually driving off like a oval office.

Never seen anyone rage like a literal child before, was quite funny.

Reminds me of a game a few years ago when the opposition keeper had a massive strop after conceding a third, booted the ball at one of his defenders, it cannoned off their arse, bounced off the ground and twatted him square in the nose. He left immediately, fanfared by howls of laughter.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

tbp posted:

I could never play with those of you that get upset at tackling and aggressive play. I guess that's what I get from playing in competitive leagues my whole life. I step on the pitch and I'm just angry

Tackle me hard, that's fine. I'm used to it.

Tackle a 5'2" girl hard from behind, that's not fine.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bobby Digital posted:

She wouldn't get a two foot tackle if she was in the kitchen. :colbert:

McDutchy
May 1, 2009
Tuesday evening was our second game of the intermural season- we played this team of about 20 Korean international students. I went in as DM to start, but ended up playing pretty much all over the pitch until right before half when I headed out a cross and it caught me a little low and then I got a nosebleed. That sucked a bit.

We scored the first goal about two minutes in- our AM picked out one of our really really fast forwards and he just buried it in the back of the net on break. About 5 minutes later the same type of thing happened, but the goalie spilled it to me on the back post and I didn't hit it quite hard enough with my left to get it in. I was super pissed about that. They got one back from a corner when it dropped to the one humongous guy on their team (seriously, 6'6" or better) and the goalie couldn't get enough hands on it.

Half happens and then about 10 minutes in, one of our forwards is making a run into the box and gets crunched just like what happened in Saturday's Classico. Penalty, bam, 2-1. I went back in about halfway through the second half as a LB and we basically just played a ton of defense the rest of the night. They ended up getting like 4 more corners on us, and those were scary as hell (doublemark the big guy!). Eventually it finished 2-1 us and we're 2-0-0 for the season so far. Yay!

McDutchy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 21, 2011

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

McDutchy posted:

Tuesday evening was our second game of the intermural season- we played this team of about 20 Korean international students. I went in as DM to start, but ended up playing pretty much all over the pitch until right before half when I headed out a cross and it caught me a little low and then I got a nosebleed. That sucked a bit.

We scored the first goal about two minutes in- our AM picked out one of our really really fast forwards and he just buried it in the back of the net on break. About 5 minutes later the same type of thing happened, but the goalie spilled it to me on the back post and I didn't hit it quite hard enough with my left to get it in. I was super pissed about that. They got one back from a corner when it dropped to the one humongous guy on their team (seriously, 6'6" or better) and the goalie couldn't get enough hands on it.

Half happens and then about 10 minutes in, one of our forwards is making a run into the box and gets crunched just like what happened in Saturday's Classico. Penalty, bam, 2-1. I went back in about halfway through the second half as a LB and we basically just played a ton of defense the rest of the night. They ended up getting like 4 more corners on us, and those were scary as hell (doublemark the big guy!). Eventually it finished 2-1 us and we're 2-0-0 for the season so far. Yay!

Nice :getin:

A 6'6" Korean? :wtc:

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

tbp posted:

I dont have a job or any life outside of my Sunday morning league so I welcome two-footed challenges and overaggressive play

McDutchy
May 1, 2009

Ninpo posted:

A 6'6" Korean? :wtc:

Yeah, that's what I said.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mang posted:

I dont have a job or any life outside of my Sunday morning league so I welcome two-footed challenges and overaggressive play

You'd think with how costly a career ending injury would be to a top flight footballer, they'd use shinpads more like the ones we use on a Sunday (proper ones, ankle protection) rather than those flimsy slide into your sock pieces of poo poo they seem to insist on wearing. What the gently caress is that? They literally look like shinpads I had when I was about ten years old that had velcro on the front so they'd stick in my socks.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Because the ankle ones are annoying and can make it harder to settle the ball. Also are heavier than the youth small ones I use.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bobby Digital posted:

Get her off the field then.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
For someone trying to work his way back into playing shape, how much cardio work do you guys do, if any?

I'm jogging 1.5-2 miles a day and walking around 1 too...thinking of getting involved in an indoor league over summer before I go for outdoor in the fall

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

NattyBo posted:

For someone trying to work his way back into playing shape, how much cardio work do you guys do, if any?

I'm jogging 1.5-2 miles a day and walking around 1 too...thinking of getting involved in an indoor league over summer before I go for outdoor in the fall

Two hours circuit training in the gym 3-4 times a week plus actual playing. If you're looking to add to your already decent sounding fitness, throw some 50 metre sprints into your jog and repeat them every 500m or so. Work up to sprinting 150-200m.

I hate running for the mere sake of it so I just have two 500m dashes in my circuit. The rest is non stop resistance training, still great for cardio however and arguably better than just running alone.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 22, 2011

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I've found jogging doesn't do much for game fitness, sprints are where it's at. 50m sprint/20 seconds rest (until your legs feel like they're going to fall off).

pintxo
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

NattyBo posted:

I need to work on my cardio for next season too. My plan for the summer is mainly to dribble around for an hour at a decent heart rate, like 130-150, and gradually add in days of shorter / more intense stuff. All sprints or all jogging isn't good, you need both.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Dribbling work is good for cardio work because you'll exhaust yourself quickly with the ball at your feet - much faster than off the ball movement.

pintxo
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Yeah, I'm terrible at dribbling anyway so I need the extra practice.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Today, I started adding some 30 second sprints to my jog.

I run on the street so dribbling might be tough but I'll try to work on that a bit too.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
get one of the little size 3 ones or a tennis ball and dribble it around your hallway, you'd be surprised how doing it only a little bit improves your footwork

Carrier
May 12, 2009

ibroxmassive posted:

get one of the little size 3 ones or a tennis ball and dribble it around your hallway, you'd be surprised how doing it only a little bit improves your footwork

Seriously, I have one on the floor in the room i spend most time in, and in the time since i've started using it, my left foot has gone from being useless at controlling the ball to being a key part of my dribbling.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Not really sure I can talk, I know I'm definitely starting in the next league game and my fitness over easter hasn't exactly improved. Gonna start jogging in the next two days and some sprints but I know I'll be dying come next wednesday or whenever it is.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Played today against a team in 4th place out of 14. We're 12th and we need a point from either this or our last game in a fortnight in order to secure 12th place and not have to reapply to the league next season. We had 3 good chances in the first half but couldn't finish them, then about 10 minutes from half time we concede a soft penalty and everybody's head drop. Then the keeper saves it. We come out of the gates in the second half at a million miles an hour and went on to win 6-0, it was brilliant. I didn't score any but I had a hand in 4 of the goals and I lost track of how many tackles I made. Didn't stop our idiot goalkeeper from yelling at me for not being on the wing though (usually after I'd just come inside to track a runner coming through the middle totally unmarked).

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

ibroxmassive posted:

I have a big enough back yard to practice dribbling, I was really more concerned about being in shape enough to play outdoors..sounds like I'm doing so so with my 2 mile a day jog and some wind sprints. I'll start adding a few mins of dribbling a night in the back yard.

I think I'm going to register for a summer indoor team before I take the training wheels back off and play outdoor in the fall.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

NattyBo posted:

I have a big enough back yard to practice dribbling, I was really more concerned about being in shape enough to play outdoors..sounds like I'm doing so so with my 2 mile a day jog and some wind sprints. I'll start adding a few mins of dribbling a night in the back yard.

I think I'm going to register for a summer indoor team before I take the training wheels back off and play outdoor in the fall.

Yeah the only reason I mentioned practicing dribbling for endurance is because when you have the ball at your feet you tire a lot faster than without it. Making little cuts, adjustments and whatnot is both mentally and physically tiring. You're constantly forced to interrupt your stride, which adds another level of stress because it's so unnatural. When running both long and short distance you're going to be at full stride pretty much all the time, but you can't do that when dribbling (more often than not) because you'll get the ball nicked from you every time if you don't have the touch of Messi.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

tbp posted:

Yeah the only reason I mentioned practicing dribbling for endurance is because when you have the ball at your feet you tire a lot faster than without it. Making little cuts, adjustments and whatnot is both mentally and physically tiring. You're constantly forced to interrupt your stride, which adds another level of stress because it's so unnatural. When running both long and short distance you're going to be at full stride pretty much all the time, but you can't do that when dribbling (more often than not) because you'll get the ball nicked from you every time if you don't have the touch of Messi.

I can attest to this. Last summer when I would head to the field to train, I would always do one lap of the field without the ball, then one with, and then half way through the 3rd lap, I'd do a sprint with the ball and pop a shot. It's quite fun, also, try to job and juggle if just dribbling is getting boring. That always is alot of fun, and also exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truth
Feb 24, 2005
So I needed to find boots in the 35-40 dollar range fast since I'm starting up a league next weekend, I pop into my local sport store and tried on what they had in stock in my size, I really liked the fit of the Adidas F5's, never worn a speed boot before, how are these generally? Are they a bit poo poo compared to the higher end F series?