Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All XP. I was getting 3 xp for randomly murdering npcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
And I'm suddenly no longer getting 3x XP :(

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Capn Beeb posted:

And I'm suddenly no longer getting 3x XP :(

Yeah it was just an event, not a full weekend. What the gently caress is wrong with Rockstar and their tightfisted MP design, they really overestimate how long people are willing to play their games.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Capn Beeb posted:

Looks like there's a triple XP weekend on the 360. I just booted up the single player and got a little prompt for it :toot:

E:

Hahah jesus, 1400XP for doing Critchley's Ranch.
http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/news

Our latest event in the Social Club Multiplayer Series will be a Triple XP event today April 15th from 4-7PM Eastern time in Red Dead Redemption & Undead Nightmare. Expect heaps of Undead Overrun, Land Grab, Stronghold, Grand Prix Horse Racing, and Free Roam. We'll be playing on Xbox LIVE but PlayStation Network users will also have access to Triple XP.

Sadly it isn't all weekend. It was just 4pm - 7pm. :(

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

doctor 7 posted:

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/news

Our latest event in the Social Club Multiplayer Series will be a Triple XP event today April 15th from 4-7PM Eastern time in Red Dead Redemption & Undead Nightmare. Expect heaps of Undead Overrun, Land Grab, Stronghold, Grand Prix Horse Racing, and Free Roam. We'll be playing on Xbox LIVE but PlayStation Network users will also have access to Triple XP.

Sadly it isn't all weekend. It was just 4pm - 7pm. :(

4-7pm Eastern. By the time us west coast slobs are off work it's already over. I really wish they'd just do it all weekend.

Did manage to finally get the win 4 gang matches in a row achievement though. I'm surprised how much there still is to do in this game a year after it came out.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Anybody else notice a lot of cheating going on in PS3 online hardcore matches? I've been seeing a lot of guys who are somehow able to run and shoot, and locate players on the map even if they're not shooting or sprinting. I know that there's always the occasional cheater, but this weekend seemed pretty bad.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

melon cat posted:

Anybody else notice a lot of cheating going on in PS3 online hardcore matches? I've been seeing a lot of guys who are somehow able to run and shoot, and locate players on the map even if they're not shooting or sprinting. I know that there's always the occasional cheater, but this weekend seemed pretty bad.

I don't know about anything like that but I've seen some pretty blatant boosting on the 360. It's too bad the hardcore community isn't more extensive, I usually can't find a game.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

fennesz posted:

I don't know about anything like that but I've seen some pretty blatant boosting on the 360. It's too bad the hardcore community isn't more extensive, I usually can't find a game.

Boosting? And yeah a lot of the game types are pretty dead outside of easy-peasy shooting for babies (like me).

I just had a wonderful thought, imagining a PvP map entirely set on a moving train. Or riverboats. Or with a stagecoach chase. They really could have done a lot more.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

Boosting? And yeah a lot of the game types are pretty dead outside of easy-peasy shooting for babies (like me).

I got into a half full Hardcore lobby with 5 dudes on my team running to the center of the map feeding the enemy team (their buddies) kills. It's as stupid as it sounds.

I really like Hardcore though, I just wish it was a more active playlist. Chuparosa is usually an automatic win for me because you spawn with the Semi-Automatic and the Mauser is on the map.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I really miss this game.

Like, I really miss this loving game. I had to sell off my PS3 a while back so I could, you know, not starve and finish school. Now that I have a job, I'm getting my rear end back into this!

A few questions:

- Is the online community even there anymore? Perhaps PS3 goons still get together?

- I remember leveling up my online guy to something like level 40, does that stuff get saved over the Internet (like cloud computing or whatever) or will I have to start my rear end over?

- I think the last DLC I got was the one with Tomahawks. Is it just still Undead Nightmare or was there another pack with playing poker online and such?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I don't know about the community other than myself. I got to level 50 and disappeared although I wouldn't mind getting on more. We need to get a game of goon bowling together.

There is another pack with poker (Liars and Cheats) it can be fun if everyone has a microphone (well that's pretty much true for multiplayer in any case. The guy without a mic ends up being treated like he's not quite as bright as everyone else.)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

My mic (cheapo XBox brand came with the Box) mysteriously stopped working. Won't broadcast. Sucks because it's not the same playing (without cussing everyone else out).

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

My mic (cheapo XBox brand came with the Box) mysteriously stopped working. Won't broadcast. Sucks because it's not the same playing (without cussing everyone else out).

I've resurrected a few by slamming them on the ground. It's already broken, what could it hurt?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

fennesz posted:

I've resurrected a few by slamming them on the ground. It's already broken, what could it hurt?

Cellphone accessories work don't they? The pin is the right size for the spot in the controller?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

4-7pm Eastern. By the time us west coast slobs are off work it's already over. I really wish they'd just do it all weekend.

Did manage to finally get the win 4 gang matches in a row achievement though. I'm surprised how much there still is to do in this game a year after it came out.

I'm a bit confused why they simply don't jack up the XP altogether. The game's been out a year and MP must be dying off. Why not allow everybody to get the Zonkey and call it a time?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Green Puddin posted:

- I remember leveling up my online guy to something like level 40, does that stuff get saved over the Internet (like cloud computing or whatever) or will I have to start my rear end over?

Pretty sure all MP stuff is stored on your system, at least that's how the 360 version worked. I learned that the hard way because I had auto-save off, assuming that it only applied to the SP campaign. Nope! So I wasted about 10 levels in MP because that poo poo wasn't on, even though it always said it was 'saving' when I'd advanced.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I was just playing this tonight and while I was running through a town an objective popped up saying "follow the stranger to hear his offer" blue dot pops up.
So being the young go getter that I am, I followed the man to the dark alleyway......

he then asked me not for a ZJ but to steal a wagon, not being a fan of doing missions I kindly declined with a shotgun blast.

Red Dead Redemption: Follow the Stranger to hear his Offer....

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 19, 2011

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

Pretty sure all MP stuff is stored on your system, at least that's how the 360 version worked. I learned that the hard way because I had auto-save off, assuming that it only applied to the SP campaign. Nope! So I wasted about 10 levels in MP because that poo poo wasn't on, even though it always said it was 'saving' when I'd advanced.

Really?

gently caress man.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I borrowed this from my friend and started my third playthrough yesterday. Shooting people is still just so. immensely. satisfying.

Didn't realize they'd released the Deadly Assassin outfit as DLC, either! So glad I had an extra 80 points kicking around. I just unlocked it.

I love how the weather won't change in most cutscenes. Like, the first time I picked up the I Know You quest, it was broad daylight, the Strange Man was looking out over a baking desert. This time it was dusk during a goddamn torrential thunderstorm. Just completely changed the tone of the scene.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Bloodcider posted:

Shooting people is still just so. immensely. satisfying.

It's the rippling visual effect. I crave the swoosh. I'll charge into certain death just so I can kill someone and get the swoosh before I die.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
Does the patch fix the weird glitches? I haven't seen any donkey-ladies or flying people, but even with the latest patch, I still ran into some guy whose horse was 4/5 in the ground.

Also, is there an easy way to tell who the police/legit bounty hunters are? I saw two guys chasing another bloke and shooting at him - so I shot at them, only to get a bounty myself as they were on the side of the law.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Lawmen have shiny badges on their chest that are easy to spot if you know to look for them.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Oh man. I started up a new game today, after months of not having a PS3.

I still say it's the greatest game in the universe and I don't care what you think. :colbert:

Is it worth it at this point to buy the last two DLC? Undead Nightmare looks fun for sure, but I'm wondering about multi-player still. Like, would it be worth it to still get the Liars and Cheats pack?

I haven't been able to jump onto the multi-player scene today. Living in the basement, today the poo poo pipes decided to break on me. :barf:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I recently started a second playthrough after a few months and the only glitches I noticed were character/object placement issues, with people sitting in the air next to stools/chairs (the piano piany player in the Armadillo saloon hovered about 10ft above his stool happily playing away), and hilariously, most people smoking had cigarettes in their noses instead of their mouths.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Got back into the SP campaign and I feel like I'm all thumbs. Saw a blue dot, shot at it, got a bounty; went to take a stagecoach, accidentally pulled the driver out and got a bounty; equipped my fists so I could zoom in to look at a clock (they actually move and tell the same time as your start menu watch!), nearest policeman thought I was picking a fight, got a bounty. I lost so much money and honor in bribes in about 15 minutes.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

Got back into the SP campaign and I feel like I'm all thumbs. Saw a blue dot, shot at it, got a bounty; went to take a stagecoach, accidentally pulled the driver out and got a bounty; equipped my fists so I could zoom in to look at a clock (they actually move and tell the same time as your start menu watch!), nearest policeman thought I was picking a fight, got a bounty. I lost so much money and honor in bribes in about 15 minutes.

Yeah there are a bunch of intricacies that you'll pick up eventually. Like, it's perfectly alright to blow the heads off of any Walton's Gang hanging out in the Armadillo Saloon for example. Robbing the Armadillo Bank, making off with ~300 bucks and bribing it's only employee to keep his mouth shut for $5 is my personal favorite. Oh and pushing citizens or gang members around until they draw on you, luring them to a marshal and having him finish your fight is pretty fun too.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 22, 2011

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

fennesz posted:

Yeah there are a bunch of intricacies that you'll pick up eventually. Like, it's perfectly alright to blow the heads off of any Walton's Gang hanging out in the Armadillo Saloon for example. Robbing the Armadillo Bank, making off with ~300 bucks and bribing it's only employee to keep his mouth shut for $5 is my personal favorite. Oh and pushing citizens or gang members around until they draw on you, luring them to a marshal and having him finish your fight is pretty fun too.

I just got the game about a month ago and finished it recently (so there are still people who play online, although it doesn't seem like a whole lot) and yeah, some of the small things you pick up are funny. Like the shooting in Armadillo thing - I wouldn't know that unless I decided to play the game as a bad guy. Now that I'm playing as Jack I've decided to be an evil bastard and so I'm discovering what I can and can't get away with in towns and such.

I was in Blackwater and a nun came up to me asking for money. I gave her the money so she'd gently caress off and then decided to follow her to the outskirts of town so that I could abduct her. My plan was to tie her up and stick her on some railroad tracks. Anyway, somebody apparently saw me lasso her and the cops were not pleased, so they started shooting at me. The bounty? 10 bucks. So I'm carrying a nun and they're just popping off shots left and right and they end up killing her. I looted her body for the 63 bucks I gave her and ran off into the night. I mean, for 10 bucks, why NOT lasso nuns? Still haven't stuck anyone in front of a train though. Gotta work on that.

The only thing that's kinda pissed me off is that I had to get DLC just so I could get xp while doing hide out missions with a friend. I think that's loving retarded. Just let people play the game, charge them for fancy costumes if you want but for regular features? I hate the way that's becoming so popular

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
If you haven't done it yet, the best person to pick a fight with is Herbert Moon, the general store owner in Armadillo.

Once you get him to draw his gun and fire, the marshals go after him and he's like the god damned Terminator. He is literally a bullet sponge, he will take 20+ shots and take out a bunch of lawmen.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Drunk & Ugly posted:

I just got the game about a month ago and finished it recently (so there are still people who play online, although it doesn't seem like a whole lot) and yeah, some of the small things you pick up are funny. Like the shooting in Armadillo thing - I wouldn't know that unless I decided to play the game as a bad guy. Now that I'm playing as Jack I've decided to be an evil bastard and so I'm discovering what I can and can't get away with in towns and such.

Yeah I did the same thing. As soon as I started playing as Jack I rode into Blackwater and didn't leave until every government employee was dead. Really nothing beats raising hell in Blackwater while wearing the Legend of the West outfit ducking in and out of stores as you fight off the police force. That was the start of my $51,000 bounty :v:

Oh and for those who've never done it; next time you see a cart with a single horse, go steal it. It's hilariously fun to continuously mash A (or X) as you veer from left to right. It puts you into a continuous drift and if you hit a log or a small rock it sends you flying out of the cart as it tumbles behind you. It just sucks when the game bugs out and you're unable to get up :(

e: Holy poo poo. I can't believe I've never really messed around in free roam before. Pissed off a posse of 4 dudes, stole one of their horses and his High Power Pistol so they gave chase. As I was full gallop, primed a stick of dynamite, threw it behind me and took out 3 of the 4 as they rode over it. Jumped off my horse, shot the sole survivor's horse to death and finished the poor bastard off as he tried to get up. It's insane how cinematic just loving with pubbies can be.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 23, 2011

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

fennesz posted:

e: Holy poo poo. I can't believe I've never really messed around in free roam before. Pissed off a posse of 4 dudes, stole one of their horses and his High Power Pistol so they gave chase. As I was full gallop, primed a stick of dynamite, threw it behind me and took out 3 of the 4 as they rode over it. Jumped off my horse, shot the sole survivor's horse to death and finished the poor bastard off as he tried to get up. It's insane how cinematic just loving with pubbies can be.

Nevermind, you're using XBox :( Was thinking the PSN was down so I was wondering what the hell. Yeah it is fun, if you can find people to play with

Sco Dylan posted:

If you haven't done it yet, the best person to pick a fight with is Herbert Moon, the general store owner in Armadillo.

Once you get him to draw his gun and fire, the marshals go after him and he's like the god damned Terminator. He is literally a bullet sponge, he will take 20+ shots and take out a bunch of lawmen.

I don't know why, but this is hilarious. Probably because Herbert Moon is an annoying dickhole. "I'm Herbert MoOooOn!" I'll have to try it out. Any other little tricks?

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 23, 2011

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

People are actually role-playing in Free Roam. Worst southern accents ever.
http://justin.tv/kfperinlive

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Drunk & Ugly posted:

Nevermind, you're using XBox :( Was thinking the PSN was down so I was wondering what the hell. Yeah it is fun, if you can find people to play with

I'll occasionally grab a few folks I play Call of Duty with, but it's a rarity at best. I've been playing alone picking fights with posses lately; great, great fun. I used to have a lot of connectivity issues which seem to have been resolved, so I'll probably be jumping on hardcore free roam or hardcore gang matches (I don't like playing with or against aimbots), so send me (gt: fennesz) a message if you want to play sometime.

e: Wow. I just realized you can switch weapons without having to access the pause menu. Hold down the button to bring up the radial menu and scroll using the D-pad. I've died so many times while switching weapons in the pause menu I can't believe I didn't know this before.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 25, 2011

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Looks like I can finally go back and start reading spoilers.
e: Wait there's one more stranger mission? Wherezzat?

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 25, 2011

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

Looks like I can finally go back and start reading spoilers.
e: Wait there's one more stranger mission? Wherezzat?

Head to Blackwater.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

fennesz posted:

I'll occasionally grab a few folks I play Call of Duty with, but it's a rarity at best.

Send me a message, cutie. All I play anymore is Reach, RDR, Forza, and Borderlands. I got a whole lot of leveling to do in this game and I need someone to do it with!

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I am also on board to play a bunch of online, GT : Slayer15977

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Been enjoying the single player, looking for some online (mainly co-op/free roam) action. GT: AngryAvatar

I should accept invites unless I'm right in the middle of a mission or something.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008
Count me in towards some posse action too. I'm level 17 so I have some work to do as well. My GT is: Krysis Kontrol

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Roman posted:

AngryAvatar

Slayer1597 posted:

Slayer15977

tokyosexwale posted:

Krysis Kontrol

Added all of you (AudreyHeartburn)

I just legend'd for the second time so I need to grind up to get my weapons and horsies back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ I'll probably send you a request gt: fennesz

That Awful Nick posted:

Send me a message, cutie. All I play anymore is Reach, RDR, Forza, and Borderlands. I got a whole lot of leveling to do in this game and I need someone to do it with!

My roommate is home, meaning my connection will probably be poo poo for the entirety, but if he runs out of weed I'll be on.

e: Anyone know why headshots are so inconsistent in this game? I can't even count the number of showdowns where I put a bullet in the guy's head and still die to him...only to see a hole in the middle of his face when it zooms in on his character.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 27, 2011

• Locked thread