Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

When my son was diagnosed the doctor said that in all likelihood he will "grow" out of it (his ADHD). Has anyone here grown out of it or noticed a difference as an adult versus when you were younger? Reading through the threads there are numerous adults posting leading me to believe this is something he may not grow out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

04RunsThisBitch posted:

I've barked up that tree with a few friends who suffer through it, exactly like I did. They generally roll their eyes and say "I don't take speed".

Do they take caffeine? The way I see it, caffeine is a super lovely stimulant and most people are only taking it because other better ones aren't legal. So gently caress yeah I do speed and I'm ecstatic that it calms me down, shuts my brain up, and lets me function.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Square Pair posted:

When my son was diagnosed the doctor said that in all likelihood he will "grow" out of it (his ADHD). Has anyone here grown out of it or noticed a difference as an adult versus when you were younger? Reading through the threads there are numerous adults posting leading me to believe this is something he may not grow out of.

Most kids do grow out of it as they mature into adulthood, but some don't. Obviously basically all the posters here are going to be adults who didn't grow out of it, because if they had they wouldn't be posting here.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

signalnoise posted:

Tell her it couldn't hurt to get diagnosed, and that she will either confirm her beliefs and get you to shut up about it, or she will potentially unlock some studying superpowers.

That is a good argument to present, and I shall incorporate it into my intervention talk with her. Part of the problem is that because she's in neuropsych, her current job involves assessing and diagnosing people with, among other things, ADD and ADHD. So, she knows how all the tests work and knows all the answers, so knows how to present herself as not as impaired as she really is - which, of course allows her to deny it even more "I didn't score as ADHD on the arglebargle test, so I must not have it! :downs:"

Maybe I will just sneak adderall into her food next time she comes over for dinner and see what happens*.

(*I am not actually going to do this.)

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Fanky Malloons posted:

That is a good argument to present, and I shall incorporate it into my intervention talk with her. Part of the problem is that because she's in neuropsych, her current job involves assessing and diagnosing people with, among other things, ADD and ADHD. So, she knows how all the tests work and knows all the answers, so knows how to present herself as not as impaired as she really is - which, of course allows her to deny it even more "I didn't score as ADHD on the arglebargle test, so I must not have it! :downs:"

Maybe I will just sneak adderall into her food next time she comes over for dinner and see what happens*.

(*I am not actually going to do this.)

You can't fake your average reaction time to stimuli over 10 minutes. If you can, then you don't have it. Many of the tests I took aren't gameable unless you've seen the actual pictures you are matching and as professional I would expect her to announce she's seen it and ask for a different set. The computer generated sequences are random so if she gets distracted she will be distracted. I'm super high functioning and I paid attention and did the very best I could to the best of my ability. I was terrified I would get a negative on my diagnosis but... yay me I have ADHD.

In the end... you can't do it for her, and trying to is probably creating resistance. So I would simply wait for her to complain about consequences, make the logical argument above and then drop it. The first step is acceptance, and you can't make that step for her.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

TheBigBad posted:

In the end... you can't do it for her, and trying to is probably creating resistance. So I would simply wait for her to complain about consequences, make the logical argument above and then drop it. The first step is acceptance, and you can't make that step for her.

You're right, I think she's just so used to people joking about her having ADHD that I will have to just make sure I put on a very serious face next time I mention it, and see what happens. I just don't want to stand by and watch her fail :(

Also, thanks for mentioning the testing - I don't actually know what it entails, so it's good to know it's not possible to fake your way through the whole thing.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

TheBigBad posted:

I'm super high functioning and I paid attention and did the very best I could to the best of my ability. I was terrified I would get a negative on my diagnosis but... yay me I have ADHD.

This is going to be another "Im the only one who has to watch X while falling asleep right?" but god drat it I didn't know other people did this. I still do this.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Fanky Malloons posted:

You're right, I think she's just so used to people joking about her having ADHD that I will have to just make sure I put on a very serious face next time I mention it, and see what happens. I just don't want to stand by and watch her fail :(

Also, thanks for mentioning the testing - I don't actually know what it entails, so it's good to know it's not possible to fake your way through the whole thing.

Point out stubbornness is a classic ADHD symptom if she refuses to go get checked out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fanky Malloons posted:

How much money are you willing to bet? Telling someone that you're willing to bet hundreds of dollars that they have ADHD is a lot more compelling than just saying that you think they do. Of course, you have to actually be willing to make the bet....

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

How much money are you willing to bet? Telling someone that you're willing to bet hundreds of dollars that they have ADHD is a lot more compelling than just saying that you think they do. Of course, you have to actually be willing to make the bet....

Well, she did just spend all her money on a vacation to Nicaragua, not thinking that it would deplete her savings and leave her with no money to live on for the forseeable future...so that might work, only I have no money to actually bet with, because I am also a student, alas!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

OK, I want to talk about something happy.

Because my ADHD is under adequate control via drugs, and I have been reading and learning about coping strategies, mechanisms, etc., I feel that this is one of the very few times in my life I'm actually making strides of progress towards goals I've set, and not just feeling like I'm barely getting by.

Case in point. I want to go back to school at some point, and take some Computer Science classes. I know some programming, I'm in Software Development anyways, but I feel that having more theory would help me immensely. However, my math is stupidly weak - so I'm spending the next year or so boning up on it.

A few weeks ago, I ordered this Algebra book, along with the supplemental workbook: http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Survival-Guide-Conversational-Thoroughly/dp/0965911381/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303867027&sr=8-2

And as of this morning, I'm already half way through the book! I expect to be through the book by the end of May or so, and then I have a couple of Intermediate/Advanced Algebra books to go through. I get home, and am *excited8 to do math, because now I have a clear goal and a purpose for it. Before I got diagnosed with ADHD, my long-term planning skills were seriously hampered. I don't feel that way anymore. Which is such a relief. I may not get completely there, but I can already tell that my current studying is helping me at work, where I have to do a fair bit of Arithmetic on the fly.

:neckbeard: And that is my Good Share of the week.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Qu Appelle posted:

A few weeks ago, I ordered this Algebra book, along with the supplemental workbook: http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Survival-Guide-Conversational-Thoroughly/dp/0965911381/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303867027&sr=8-2

And as of this morning, I'm already half way through the book! I expect to be through the book by the end of May or so, and then I have a couple of Intermediate/Advanced Algebra books to go through. I get home, and am *excited8 to do math, because now I have a clear goal and a purpose for it. Before I got diagnosed with ADHD, my long-term planning skills were seriously hampered. I don't feel that way anymore. Which is such a relief. I may not get completely there, but I can already tell that my current studying is helping me at work, where I have to do a fair bit of Arithmetic on the fly.

:neckbeard: And that is my Good Share of the week.

Hurrah for :catdrugs:

I'll have to get that book because I am soooo bad at math it isn't even funny. I've done weird little coping strategies, like putting the dollar sign at the end of the numbers, or some bizarro adhd math. Like, "He gave me 10$ for a 8.45$ purchase, half of 1$ is 50 cents, so 55 cents and that brings it to 9$ so 1$ + 55 cents...He needs 1.55$ in change."

I wonder if programming would be a good choice for me to try out, or computer repair. I got bored a few weeks back and opened up my old laptop as much as I could just to see what was inside/how to replace the ram/harddrive. I remember in highschool I was one of the first people to finish the programming projects in computer sciences and got something like a 92% in it despite my 63% average overall when I graduated.

A little off topic, but I've had a stomach flu and haven't been able to try my new gym pass out. I feel so lethargic and grumpy lately, and I'm not sure if it's my inactivity catching up to me or just the meds. I really need to get a job this fall too so I can support myself when my husband goes to school, so maybe all the stress is just getting to me. I wish I had a bike~

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Programming is good, but once you get into the higher levels, math is going to be encountered. That's what nearly sunk me in my last programming class. So, if you're OK with that, go for it! if not, this book might be useful. Definitely get the supplemental workbook, if you do get it.

And the focus of the book is on Algebra, so it's assuming that you already have basic arithmetic and Pre-Algebra down. If you need help with Pre-Algebra concepts, http://www.khanacademy.org/ is outstanding. It's also completely free! (I'm also going through this as well, and it only took me a week to clear through the Pre-Algebra math. Plus, they make it fun, with little prizes you can win, etc. It's like a video game almost.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 27, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
gently caress you and your math skills I just swan dived my math exam on beginning algebra.

In ADD news, my psych actually upped me to 10mg/twice a day. He said I finally seem like I'm alive and that he's never seen me in makeup/nails done.

:unsmith:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hopefully you'll do better on the next exam :ohdear:

I've failed it twice in the past.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Math is my sworn enemy and is lucky I haven't seen it in a dark alley somewhere.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Qu Appelle posted:

It was the final exam :saddowns:

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

I'm chipping away at it via community college, out of pocket from university based financial aid, so that it doesn't absolutely gently caress my GPA to fail 2x+ since I'm an A-grade student in things that don't involve having some sort of existential crisis when asked to calculate a tip. Seriously started asking people who say, "Math is just a language, think of it like this to make it less intimidating... :words:", what they tell dyslexics who find learning to read in a 2nd language more challenging than the average student since they don't seem to find ADHD/developmental delays to be a potential roadblock for someone who is an over-achiever in other things.

It becomes just another infuriating little spot where 'common sense' folk wisdom and stigma surrounding ADHD makes otherwise sensible people say really stupid poo poo. Why is it so hard to understand that a seemingly competent adult has weaknesses for whatever reason.

e/n::tizzy: It really doesn't help that having an adult diagnosis means that I never had educational support for subjects I was 'bad' at since teachers figured I was just lazy/loving with them and my mother's favorite excuse was, "She's just creative, artists are never good at math." (She also, in all seriousness, told me to stop blaming things outside of myself when I begged her for learning disability screening in high school, before eventually dropping out because there was no support at home or in the schools. I am also nearsighted and got glasses 10-years late, so many things were missed because it was treated as 'the Boy Who Cried Wolf' type complaints from a seemingly lazy, avoidant clown. Going back to college was the only way my ADHD and bad eyesight got caught, but even with those caught the catchup in things like math is seemingly impossible on days like today.)

The way some instructors have treated me after I've come out of the special ed closet has been so loving depressing, and is so insulting considering there are/were brilliant contributors to science who relied on math savvy and/or proof-reader spouses to filter their brilliance into publishable material. Just.... gently caress. Suddenly a grasp of theory and methods means nothing because I transpose numbers and need you to sign a sheet that lets me bring a scientific calculator to the retar-er, disability testing center so I can check my work and get what a medical professional with a Ph-loving-D considers to be a fair shot at the material? I dropped a class this semester because of how a faculty member treated me on this, and it was a pre-req for a 7th-year seminar that I have a deep interest in even as an undergrad. It's just that I can't take the pressure of wading through dogshit treatment for what would be a shiny elective credit on my transcripts when I also need to work on playing catch-up in basics. That doesn't make 'admitting defeat' any easier though (it did help to find out that this faculty member treats everyone that way, with slightly more smug degradation for female students.)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

I feel the same way, and when I discover a class is taught by someone like that, I just drop that poo poo right away. I had a professor give me some huge lecture about how I shouldn't be studying math-based subjects because I just wasn't smart enough, and then he went on to tell me that my ADHD didn't actually exist and it would go away if I ate more peanuts! Needless to say I dropped that course, took it again from a different teacher, and got an A.

I don't take any of this personally, because I'm in school out of a genuine interest in the material - I readily grasp the complex theories behind quantum theory and advanced physics, but I can't readily translate it to math. Of course I chose physics as a course of study, even though I can literally crank out liberal arts papers like clockwork. But, as you say, some of the greatest minds of the 20th century (and probably beforehand) had the same issues.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 28, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I usually ask them where they did their residency and then tell them to gently caress off (in a smug but not as combative way). Then I call the accommodation office at the University. Policy varies from school to school, but with a formal diagnosis you can get benefits ranging from an in class note taker, to being provided with an outline for each lecture (which means more work for rear end in a top hat professor guy), and tutoring. You are protected under the ADA which applies to access to post secondary academia as well as employment.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Oh yeah, all of that is available, but the thing is if the guy is being a dick like that, then he's almost always a bad teacher in addition to being a douche. I have no problem taking notes and seeking help, but at my truly gargantuan state university the TAs are often not really all that capable of explaining what's going on - instead they just grade your papers off a key, and even the professors are just copying poo poo out of a book onto the blackboard and don't really understand what they're saying (that's what the "peanuts will heal your ADHD" prof was doing). Sometimes I'd rather just take the class next semester from someone who isn't a douchebag and actually knows the material. Luckily having ADHD diagnosis lets me take a reduced credit load and pay a correspondingly lower amount while still being considered a "full-time" student.

I'm not striving to "get better grades" but rather develop a concrete base of knowledge from which I can further my understanding of the universe. For this, I want teachers that known their poo poo.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 28, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Kind of a teacher rant, but more of a school rant: Theyre cutting EVERYTHING (that isn't sports, and I realize sports brings in money, but COME ON) in my school. I'm at a community college and they're cutting REQUIRED TO TRANSFER courses, like English 101, Math 101 (or whatever your transferable math is), etc. I'm pretty sure my math teacher was part time/adjunct because she had like 30 minutes of office hours per day.

How am I supposed to get help in the ten minute "office hours" you have after class with five other students behind me? I don't require a TON of time (MAYBE 20 minutes, at the most, and that was ONE time), but if I'm pressured for time i lose my poo poo and I can't retain information. I need to retain this information for exams. You see my problem..? I would love to go to the math lab, but my class ends in the evening and I catch a late bus home. Unless I walk home (the whole five to seven miles) I can't attend math lab. I also work all morning, leaving home at ~7AM at the latest.

Im not blaming her for my fail AT ALL. I didn't study enough, I didn't try enough, and ultimately, I gave up. But it built on itself. Last semester my prof (a full time, and I'm assuming tenured prof) had an hour where she just sat in her office doing her own work and waiting for students. I was there five minutes before her office hours waiting for her and she helped me until I understood.

Note to ADD-students: Find out who is part-time/adjust and AVOID. They can be the greatest professor, but if you need outside help, you're hosed. Disability can't do poo poo, either, because I have options available, I'm just too busy earning enough money to buy food and pay rent.

:smith:

UGH POSIPOST BECAUSE THIS WAS GAY: Starting 5/1 I won't have to shell out as much money (if any?, Im not sure) for pills as I got on the Super Secret state health insurance again. Its certainly less than $100+/mo, which is a significant chunk of my income since work won't make me full time (and since I'm part time, no health insurance!)

e:I can see a regular doctor when I feel sick, now, too! If I get pneumonia again this year, like I have the last couple, I can actually get medicine :unsmith:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 28, 2011

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Square Pair posted:

As an adult he is likely to have developed enough coping mechanisms and systems to do better than when he was 9.

Probably enough that he can function at some reasonable level without prescription meds.

However, that doesn't mean that his focus wouldn't benefit from a little CNS stimulant.

Of course, drat near EVERYBODY's focus benefits from low dose CNS stimulants, so says the coffee machine in my break room.

I think a strong argument could be made that the educational/work system generally requires more focus than the average person can muster up unmedicated. Which is why people spend 16$ a day on caffinated beverages. Self-medication for all.

I think that most of the people who think they don't medicate their attention don't realize how much they medicate their attention.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 28, 2011

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Slo-Tek posted:

I think a strong argument could be made that the educational/work system generally requires more focus than the average person can muster up unmedicated. Which is why people spend 16$ a day on caffinated beverages. Self-medication for all.
It seems like the people who drink the most caffeine also have very poor sleep habits. Or at one point they did (probably in school), and developed a dependency or tolerance to caffeine. Since I can't have any, I go to bed very early so I'll get enough, despite a huge temptation to stay up and play video games.

As for programming and math, I'm a programmer and use algebra frequently. Even without trying to solve an equation, there's a lot of logic there. I see a lot of programmers not understanding it and some really ugly code that is difficult to unravel, especially for me when I can only focus on it for minutes at a time. I don't know how they can screw up things like conditional statements so bad. The good news is that most programming is not at the level of graphics rendering or gaming (or there's already a function for that), so all the calculus and physics required for a programming degree is generally not applicable. And most programmers I've seen are lazy and not going to waste time on effeciency or big-O. Or anything resembling readable code. Basically they just plug poo poo in until it "works" even if it's broken half the system.

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

2508084 posted:

How am I supposed to get help in the ten minute "office hours" you have after class with five other students behind me? I don't require a TON of time (MAYBE 20 minutes, at the most, and that was ONE time), but if I'm pressured for time i lose my poo poo and I can't retain information. I need to retain this information for exams. You see my problem..? I would love to go to the math lab, but my class ends in the evening and I catch a late bus home. Unless I walk home (the whole five to seven miles) I can't attend math lab. I also work all morning, leaving home at ~7AM at the latest.

Get a bike and go to the math lab, a 5-7 mile ride is not that long and it might even help clear your head.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I'm not much of a programmer, but I didn't even make it through pre-calculus (mostly because I didn't do homework) and I do OK with coding. There's far more to learn about programming itself than there is math. There are things that having a stronger math background will help with (search algorithms come to mind), but 90% of what most people code requires knowledge of computers, not necessarily math.

I want to go back to school and do Comp Sci, I hate this general IT work poo poo I'm going to get stuck doing until I can find a place that will allow me to learn enough to move from it.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
There is far more to programming than math but I think it would be very difficult for someone who struggles with algebra. Data structures, grammars, digital logic, etc have far more difficult concepts in my opinion. Even the simpler languages require an understanding of objects and relationships and scope.

Anyway writing code for fun or beginner classes is much, much different than working on a large project with several other people. I'm not trying to discourage anyone since even I managed to make a career out of it and am far from a genius, but I just see so much crappy code because someone managed to learn one language and each time they do anything beyond that it's a big disaster because they don't understand any other concepts. But as bad as some of them are they do have jobs, so the hardest part is really just getting the degree.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

opie posted:

There is far more to programming than math but I think it would be very difficult for someone who struggles with algebra. Data structures, grammars, digital logic, etc have far more difficult concepts in my opinion. Even the simpler languages require an understanding of objects and relationships and scope.

This is exactly what I ran into. Because my last math class was Pre-Calc back in 1988 (no, not a typo), and I failed it something fierce, I forgot all of my logic and logical thinking skills. Fast forward to a couple of years ago, and I decide that I want to stop being a Test Monkey, and get serious about Programming. SQL Class went sort of OK, until the sections that required more logical thinking, and then I had issues. But, I realized that if I sat down and wrote out the homework code in longhand, that helped a lot more. Passed, and all good. Took an Intro to Programming class in C#, and passed with flying colors.

Then, I took C# Level 1. World of pain. I passed, but only because of brute force running through the code until it could sortakinda compile. Luckily, I took this class when I was unemployed, because I ended up studying some 20 hours a week for that class. Now, keep in mind that these are non-credit, Continuing Education classes. I should not have to put *that much time* into it. But, I passed. Some 1/4 of the class actually dropped out, so I wasn't the only one struggling. And again, it was the math that sunk me. Because we were dealing with things like data structures and my brain just went :psyduck: for most of the class. And this is even with the :catdrugs:

The last class I took, which was back in February, was Concepts of Object Oriented Programming, which I aced. That class was also taught by the head of the department, and we had a good talk about my deficiencies, and how I could strengthen them. And math came up. Because the next three classes in the sequence? C# Level 2, C# Level 3, and Algorithms in .NET? All pretty math heavy. (Luckily, the program itself is geared towards working adults, so they give you 3 years to finish it up.)

It turns out that this is a perfect time for me to bone up on my math skills, because after that last class, the school moved to a place where it's hard for me to get there on the bus, and the new bus lines for the region, that will be able to get me there and back easily, don't start until November this year. Then, I can start taking classes there again, if that's what I ultimately choose to do. Hence, my concentrating on math for now. And I can tell that it's already helping me, as I now work with SQL on my new job on a daily basis.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004
word vomit

Harsh Tokerman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 12, 2013

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Those are questions you can ask your pharmacist, if nobody here knows the answer. They didn't just go to school to learn the names of the drugs and how to pour pills into a bottle, they know the chemical properties just as well as a doctor.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I still have to drink caffeine every day because I was drinking like 8 Cokes a day. I prefer tea but I am very picky. Sweet Tea, no lemon flavor (and most companies add lemon to preserve it or something). Trader Joes has some awesome Tea I love. They are an hour away. I only got 5 gallon containers last time I went and it lasted about a week.

But I also can't have too much caffeine or I feel shaky. A Starbucks drink in the glass bottles is too much. Half or 1/4th is good to drink and then put away for awhile before drinking a bit more. Staves off the headache and I am not shaky.

Wife was diagnosed too, we filled up our trash container then had another 10 feet of trash (I measured trying to stay within 9) from stuff we've been getting rid of for a few weeks. We looked up trash cleanup schedule and put it all out when it wouldn't be an extra $15 per cubic yard. On cleanup days you can do 3 cubic yards extra for no charge.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004

Harsh Tokerman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 12, 2013

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I still have to drink caffeine every day because I was drinking like 8 Cokes a day. I prefer tea but I am very picky. Sweet Tea, no lemon flavor (and most companies add lemon to preserve it or something). Trader Joes has some awesome Tea I love. They are an hour away. I only got 5 gallon containers last time I went and it lasted about a week.

But I also can't have too much caffeine or I feel shaky. A Starbucks drink in the glass bottles is too much. Half or 1/4th is good to drink and then put away for awhile before drinking a bit more. Staves off the headache and I am not shaky.

Wife was diagnosed too, we filled up our trash container then had another 10 feet of trash (I measured trying to stay within 9) from stuff we've been getting rid of for a few weeks. We looked up trash cleanup schedule and put it all out when it wouldn't be an extra $15 per cubic yard. On cleanup days you can do 3 cubic yards extra for no charge.

Just cut the caffeine out completely, deal with the headaches for a day or two, and you will be so much better off in the long term for it.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

silversum posted:

I started seeing a psychiatrist two months ago and after our first meeting, he could tell just from talking to me that I had some ADHD (i) going on. He prescribed me 10mg bid of Dexedrine to start after I had gotten used to Celexa, which I really enjoyed (past experience with Adderall and its levoamphetamine made me way too wired, as if I had just chugged 2 pots of coffee.) The Dexedrine was working great aside from a fairly constant pulse increase of about 30bpm and the fact that it didn't last nearly long enough for the day, so I'd end up taking a third 10mg dose if I had a particularly busy day, which would cause me to run out.

I was prepared to increase my dose, since I am uninsured and Vyvanse looked to cost way too much. But after researching the costs a bit more and finding the 50% off for a year coupon on Vyvanse.com it ended up only being about $20 more than 15mg x 2 a day of dexamphetamine would be. So I asked my psych and he agreed it was worth a try. We switched to 30mg of Vyvanse today, along with a small supply of 10mg dexamphetamine that I could take situationally/later in the day if I needed it. I'm only 3 or 4 hours in on the Vyvanse, but the increased heart rate is nonexistant so far and the ability to focus is back.

The rough equivalency of 30mg Vyvanse is around 12mg of Dexedrine. Even though the increase in dosage is minimal, it seems to be working better for me so far. I'm hoping the stomach rumbles dexamphetamine gave me will be reduced a bit as well, but the tachycardia that isn't there so far now is more than worth it, as well as not having to continually redose every 3-4 hours. I feel that I lucked out finding a great psychiatrist on the first try who has experience with adult ADHD and didn't scoff at me like my old GP did when I asked to switch from Adderall to Dexedrine ("Why would you want that?! It's such an old drug, Adderall works so much better, etc").

After all that word vomit, I have a few questions people here who are more experienced may be able to answer. I know orange juice could reduce the efficacy of dexamphetamine, but does this have the same effect on Vyvanse since it is metabolised in your intestines and not by your stomach? Related to that, do magnesium/calcium supplements have the same effect as they do with regular -amphetamines? I know magnesium will still be good to take to reduce some of the less savory side effects, but I wasn't sure if making your stomach more basic from the calcium would really have any effect at all.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to provide information, as well as the rest of you posting in this thread. Reading similar life stories as well as the trials and tribulations people with ADHD face on a personal level has really helped me come to terms with the fact that this will help me. And it has!

Other than having a more prolonged effect, Vyvanse isn't really much different from Dexedrine. All of the interactions that occur with Dexedrine will also happen with the Vyvanse, though it may be less noticeable because of the slower release of Vyvanse into your body.

Just for your own extra information, the acidic foods decrease Dexedrine effectiveness by increasing the excretion of the amphetamines through your kidneys, thus shortening the amount of time the drug is in your body.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

opie posted:

Anyway writing code for fun or beginner classes is much, much different than working on a large project with several other people.

Yeah my comment was mostly directed at people who would be interested and try it out. Not all programming was made equal, and somebody doing front end web development is going to have much less math-intensive work to do than a kernel developer. Somebody who isn't already amazingly tech-savvy could gain a lot more from learning TCP/IP or HTTP than they would taking a calculus course.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

TheGopher posted:

Yeah my comment was mostly directed at people who would be interested and try it out. Not all programming was made equal, and somebody doing front end web development is going to have much less math-intensive work to do than a kernel developer. Somebody who isn't already amazingly tech-savvy could gain a lot more from learning TCP/IP or HTTP than they would taking a calculus course.

It only took me about a month to pick up basic XHTML and CSS, and another month to get basic Javascript down, so it's definitely do-able. And I was about to start to look for web work when I got my current SQL-based job (which I'm finding a lot more fun than I originally thought.) CSS especially is really good for those who like color and visuals, but there is some basic math in figuring out page widths, etc. But nothing really approaching Calculus, or even Algebra.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 28, 2011

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Chin Strap posted:

Just cut the caffeine out completely, deal with the headaches for a day or two, and you will be so much better off in the long term for it.

I've went about 4 days before with headaches that won't go away no matter how many pills I took. Cold Turkey is not the best option for me.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Cold turkey is not recommended for caffeine withdrawal. If you are heavily addicted the negative effects can last for literally months.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I am going to add to the "first diagnosis" stories here.
I'm a 23-year-old nurse who has ADHD. I made it all the way to my second semester of nursing school before being diagnosed. I was 21 at the time.

My parents never listened when the people involved with the gifted programs at my elementary, middle, and high schools would say that I was smart, but didn't apply myself. They assumed they could parent me into applying myself. Unfortunately, no matter how much I wanted to apply myself, I couldn't. I just couldn't do it. I wanted to do my homework so I could go outside, watch TV, or play games. Instead I just sat there staring at my work or forcing my way through it and taking an excessive amount of time reading and rereading things like 7 x 7 = ___.

In high school, it got worse. I was in a magnet school for math and science. I was able to pass my classes because I liked most of my math and science classes and I liked English/literature. I hated history and always ended up sleeping through the classes. I ditched a lot of classes and the only reason I graduated was because of music classes and clubs. The only reason I still showed up to school my junior and senior years was for band, choir, orchestra, or an after school meeting. I had an unweighted GPA of 3.25 and a weighted GPA of 3.75. I took a lot of honors/AP classes, and I managed to pass with an honors diploma thanks to my ability to bullshit through tests. I actually failed World lit because I was absent too many times and officially graduated the following summer by essentially teaching English 4 from my desk. I didn't walk in the ceremony.

Fast forward, I'm doing decently in college after my (now wife) had a baby and the only reason I was able to work so hard at school (and the bank) is because I forced myself to think of the family I had to raise. I forced myself to do it for them. Some nights during summer classes, I would come home after working 8 hours and spending 3 hours in the Anatomy lab to come home and study for another 3 hours. I cried some of those nights because of how hard it was to focus on the pictures of femurs and skulls. During regular semesters, I could focus on the biology class and fumble my way to an A, B, or C in Calculus, Chemistry, and Spanish 1. Next came nursing school.

Holy crap. I couldn't fumble through classes anymore. I had to study for every single one. I struggled through the first semester and was about to fail out in my second semester. I wasn't used to having to study every class. I cried a lot. Finally, one of my clinical instructors urged me to see a psychiatrist. He had ADD, too. I took my first dose of Adderall 2 days before my final exams. I started on the 5 mg twice a day dose. That is the minimum pediatric dose. One hour after my first dose, it was like I was in a room with 30 televisions and 29 of them turned off. I could finally think. I could finally focus. I started studying that night and I cried again, but this time I was ecstatic. Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep for my first two nights on the meds. I took my final exams after two sleepless nights. I loving passed those tests, though. I passed pediatrics/obstetrics by one loving question. A final grade of 75% was required to pass each class.

Fast forward again. I am a successful nurse now. I stopped taking Adderall three weeks ago because I was tired of the spikes in blood pressure and heart rate. I took a short vacation from work to stop taking Adderall because I knew that on the third day, I would be essentially narcoleptic. I never took more than the minimum adult dose (10 mg twice a day). I know myself and my symptoms well enough and have performed a lot of behavior modification while I was medicated.

tl;dr Coping strategies discussed here:
When my thoughts start snowballing and I turn a mundane decision/occurrence into the end of the world, I think to myself "STOP!" I start over. When I get anxious, I take a slow, deep breath through my nose and let it through my nose. If I have the opportunity, I close my eyes and do this 3-5 times while counting in my head "In-2-3-4-Out-2-3-4" to keep any other thoughts out. Before I walk into a patient's room or start a nursing procedure, I tell myself what I am about to do and ask myself if I am missing any equipment. I carry a notepad and write notes to myself. I have a 365-day organizer. I have a whiteboard and leave myself notes at home. I leave myself notes in my phone. I used to make a lot of lists. I have several alarms set in my phone for specific events like getting ready for work. I check the time constantly when I am playing video games so I don't lose track of time. When I get angry, I stop, take a deep breath, and assess the situation to decide whether or not I should be angry. If my emotions get out of control, I walk away from the situation for a short time and reflect or take deep breaths before returning. When I get overwhelmed and my brain shuts down, I take a few of those relaxing deep breaths or take a break. I take walks/read/play psp or ds on my breaks when I am not eating to keep myself relaxed, anyway. Hell, I have to remind myself to take my time in conversation instead of blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. Taking Adderall gave me a mental filter I never had before. I used to wonder why I said such stupid poo poo all the time.

Medication will never cure ADD/ADHD. It takes both medication and behavioral modification. Some people will grow out of it, some people will cope well enough to drop the medication, and some people will take medication for a long, long time. The instructor who told me to see a psychiatrist was in his late
40s. Heck, I'm not cured. I just recognize my symptoms and take action accordingly.

Giblet Plus! posted:

If I approach her while she's working she yells at me and calls me immature.

Another women who works close to me makes snide comments about my immaturity and need to "grow up" behind my back. I had never even spoken to her before this. I confronted her about it and she doubled down on her statements.
If you do have ADHD, then the impulsiveness that comes along with it probably causes you to say things without mentally reviewing what it is you're about to say. Take your time before talking to someone and really think before you speak. Also, (like everyone else says) see a doctor.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I've went about 4 days before with headaches that won't go away no matter how many pills I took. Cold Turkey is not the best option for me.

When I cut out caffeine cold turkey I just took an excedrin when the headache came on. I only took one pill each time, and it only took a week. I had been drinking 3 2 litre bottles of diet coke every day at that time.