Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Deadpool posted:

I remember reading about that guy in Bret's book I think. From what I remember he was really lovely. I haven't heard the podcast yet though.

The story as told is Magee is a lovely wrestler, but Bret makes him look amazing (Dave says this, not a Bret exaggeration). Magee, who was heavily scouted by Vince McMahon and Pat Patterson, is now seen as the next big thing in pro wrestling, except he's completely awful and leaves the business before too long, never again having a good match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The story as told is Magee is a lovely wrestler, but Bret makes him look amazing (Dave says this, not a Bret exaggeration). Magee, who was heavily scouted by Vince McMahon and Pat Patterson, is now seen as the next big thing in pro wrestling, except he's completely awful and leaves the business before too long, never again having a good match.

Here's the story: http://pwchronicle.blogspot.com/2005/12/history-tom-magee-golden-boy-of-1986.html

Tarasenko Tank
Apr 17, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

With Dave's technological savvy this would lead to him tearing the VHS tape out of the black plastic and shoving it into his computer's floppy drive.
If that didn't work, he'd sent it to Bret Hart's mansion.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zYfaTBLk0

Here's the, at the time, "worst match ever." We were that close to this guy being our Ultimate Warrior which, well, gently caress it couldn't be that much worse.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

jez is dedicated to his craft and does full research before forming a very calculated and interesting opinion. todd martin has diarrhea of the mouth and also the rear end.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

weekly font posted:

Here's the, at the time, "worst match ever." We were that close to this guy being our Ultimate Warrior which, well, gently caress it couldn't be that much worse.

You have to be kidding. Warrior was 10x better than Tom Magee

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ChampRamp posted:

I'd go with maybe 2.25x better.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ChampRamp posted:

It was also in one of the Botchamanias as well... There is a remarkable amount of history in those :)

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

weekly font posted:

Everything he does looks so gentle and caring.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Captain Charisma posted:

Bryan's verbal tics, to me, were an extension of his real life gimmick: Angry, boisterous, tiny man. Just like Dave is a wrestling encyclopedia cyborg.

One of my all time favorite episodes is about Vinny's wedding where they were worried that Kremin dude was annoying Dave but when they got there they were just talking about wrestling and were like "oh yeah Dave is happy to talk wrestling with anyone, even him."

And I loved Jez, one of the only times I've posted on THE BOARD was to ask him an obscure question about something probably only I cared about with Smackdown v Raw and he answered me right away.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't remember most of the assholes on The Board, but I think I do remember rovert and gently caress that guy

My favorite times on there were when sprewell rimz and I hijacked the site with the help of Tony when Bryan and Vinny were gone for the night, and when I trolled Bix to the point where he left for good. gently caress Bix.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dave Meltzer just said that Jeff Hardy has 'a lot more' charisma than Christian.

:psyduck:

Are you loving kidding me?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Dave Meltzer just said that Jeff Hardy has 'a lot more' charisma than Christian.

:psyduck:

Are you loving kidding me?

He's right.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's right.

Yeah. Christian is a better interview, but Jeff Hardy oozes charisma. He oozes other things too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I stopped watching TNA when Christian left only returning for the Monday Night shows. TNA is loving horrible without him and Dave is just plain wrong.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Board is in many ways a fantastic social experiment, the more I look at it.

I dunno, I just find a lot of the supposed hardboarding legends to be huge letdowns when you actually see their posts. Rovert seems to have a rep as some sort of legendary troll but all his posting is really limp and low-effort and not even good trolling most of the time.
Lemme tell ya these dorks wouldn't last three days on SA. Heh.
*strokes neckbeard*

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

MassRayPer posted:

Yeah. Christian is a better interview, but Jeff Hardy oozes charisma. He oozes other things too.

I wouldn't say Jeff has more charisma than Christian, but he's definitely got something. He wouldn't be able to connect with the crowd the way he does and be so consistently over while being so terrible at promos if he didn't.

Christian, while being infinitely better on promos, can seem a little bland sometimes, so I see why Dave would say Jeff is, in some ways, more charismatic.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Borh posted:

I wouldn't say Jeff has more charisma than Christian, but he's definitely got something. He wouldn't be able to connect with the crowd the way he does and be so consistently over while being so terrible at promos if he didn't.

That's charisma.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Charisma is hard to explain, but it's that feeling that can get you into a wrestler. Jeff oozes charisma, which is why he got over so big in 2009.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think Jeff's look helped him a lot too, he is pretty unique. I bet if he was starting today he'd be told to cut his hair and put on some trunks to show off his thighs.

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I think Jeff's look helped him a lot too, he is pretty unique. I bet if he was starting today he'd be told to cut his hair and put on some trunks to show off his thighs.

If the Hardy Boys and Edge and Christian started in the WWE today they'd have been split up within 3 months, given crew cuts, fed awkward sounding "Angry heel with something to prove/happy smiling babyface who loves the WWE universe" promos, and would be jobbing to DH Smith on Superstars.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Captain Charisma posted:

My favorite times on there were when sprewell rimz and I hijacked the site with the help of Tony when Bryan and Vinny were gone for the night, and when I trolled Bix to the point where he left for good. gently caress Bix.

I did not know you were the one who ran Bix off. Awesome!

Beeswax posted:

I dunno, I just find a lot of the supposed hardboarding legends to be huge letdowns when you actually see their posts. Rovert seems to have a rep as some sort of legendary troll but all his posting is really limp and low-effort and not even good trolling most of the time.
Lemme tell ya these dorks wouldn't last three days on SA. Heh.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean there are amazing, hysterical trolls there. It's just very interesting to see how generally intelligent people act without being forced to not be idiots by moderators. But hey, it's how Bryan wants it, which leads to things like this.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is there a RSS feed for f4w's free shows only?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

elf help book posted:

Not sure, but even if there is their RSS breaks like all the time. I think it's broken right now!

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean there are amazing, hysterical trolls there. It's just very interesting to see how generally intelligent people act without being forced to not be idiots by moderators. But hey, it's how Bryan wants it, which leads to things like this.

That's why I think it's a good alternative to this place. I like reasonable discussions, but sometimes I want to see random poo poo topics, trolls, and poo poo posts. Speaking of which this was one of my favorites.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
DC Sniper was my favorite troll poster there, and it's not even close.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
DC SNIPER really is the best gimmick over there. Mad dedication to his craft*

* calling people faggots and never using lowercase

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

elf help book posted:

I was subscribed to the free shows on iTunes but it stopped working so I just deleted it and stopped bothering with the podcast.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

The Berzerker posted:

I was subscribed to the free shows on iTunes but it stopped working so I just deleted it and stopped bothering with the podcast.

Because you signed up for an account? Because everyone here should. Just don't listen to the Todd shows, and ESPECIALLY do not listen to Wrestling Weekly. Les Thatcher needs to get kicked in the balls. 1000 times. Until his balls explode.

On that note, does anyone here have a sub to the Torch? A couple people on the Board have been complementary to it of late.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I normally hang in Alans section. He's starting a 36 favorite wrestler tournament this weekend. :toot:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

HulkaMatt posted:

I normally hang in Alans section. He's starting a 36 favorite wrestler tournament this weekend. :toot:

That would be the best loving tournament ever if it were real.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lloyd Boner posted:

That would be the best loving tournament ever if it were real.

If it were real, an Undertaker vs Sekimoto final would be quite intriguing!

Also, vote Sekimoto.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That also reminds me The WH-128 is gonna have to be worked on in like 6 weeks.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

HulkaMatt posted:

That also reminds me The WH-128 is gonna have to be worked on in like 6 weeks.

The PSP-512

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The PSP-512

I don't think you understand how long it takes to count votes those first 4 days.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Why bother when we all know the winner will be Shockwave the Robot?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Because you signed up for an account?

No. I can barely keep up with the podcasts I already listen to (mostly not wrestling related) so paying money for WO doesn't make sense to me - I like it, but I don't have time to listen to the thirty shows they put out a week, so I wouldn't feel like I was getting my money's worth when I have other podcasts I like more that don't cost me anything.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

elf help book posted:

Why bother when we all know the winner will be Shockwave the Robot?

My vote is for Dragon Dragon :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Usually when Dave and Bryan do a ton of shows in a row they say they don't know how they'll be by the end but it won't be pretty. This time however, they were so insane and hilarious tonight that the next three days should be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRayPer posted:

Usually when Dave and Bryan do a ton of shows in a row they say they don't know how they'll be by the end but it won't be pretty. This time however, they were so insane and hilarious tonight that the next three days should be something else.

Oh sweet christ I was in tears

"Dana's Q&As are like Make-A-Wish. Except the guys aren't mentally handicapped, except for some of them... or some kind of handicap. I don't want that to come off wrong"

• Locked thread