Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

My expectation for this chapter was that it would end with Ippo mid-punch. Was I ever wrong.

God I still like this manga and want it to get better though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

WeaponBoy posted:

I've seen slow moving chapters, but holy gently caress, literally nothing happened this chapter. Nothing. That wasn't tense, that was boring.
There was tension. I was tense waiting for something to loving HAPPEN before the chapter ended. I kept thinking still 8 pages left, there could be some fighting. But no. All this power buildup bullshit better end in a one hit KO.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Haha, what a lovely chapter. This mangaka's either got huge balls or just doesn't give a gently caress

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Maybe this poo poo reads a little better when it's strung together? I dunno. I have about 100 chapters to read at this point.

L.E. Cheetah posted:

Haha, what a lovely chapter. This mangaka's either got huge balls or just doesn't give a gently caress

L.E. Cheetah posted:

just doesn't give a gently caress

I honestly think he plans out how to best and most easily take up as much room as possible so he can poo poo out 12 pages and head to the ring for the rest of the week. We're missing everything except for ink on pages at this point: uninteresting plotting, uninteresting characters, uninteresting fights.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I wanted to throw up when I read this chapter. Mori you're trash.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
What. The. gently caress.

I swear to god, this manga... And yet, every week, I read another chapter. drat, I really am a battered wife for this poo poo.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Okay um so

You store energy by clenching your fists?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The posts after a new chapter are always better than the chapter itself.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
:regd08:: The Manga.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

DamnGlitch posted:

Maybe this poo poo reads a little better when it's strung together? I dunno. I have about 100 chapters to read at this point.

This would probably be true because you could then power through pointless chapters like this in 30 seconds and not be stuck blue-balled for another week, but just until you load the next chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'd prefer more Kumi chapters over this.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog

KidDynamite posted:

I wanted to throw up when I read this chapter. Mori you're trash.

Holy poo poo, I was going to say I wanted to vomit, too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just 10 more chapters to go before Ippo unleashes his attack!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
4 chapters after this fight has officially begun and while both fighters have been the focus of the chapters, neither have actually moved.

This is some amazing stuff he's got going on here. "How can I make a fight DIFFERENT after 900 chapters?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nilbop posted:

4 chapters after this fight has officially begun and while both fighters have been the focus of the chapters, neither have actually moved.

This is some amazing stuff he's got going on here. "How can I make a fight DIFFERENT after 900 chapters?"

Well, this sure is different, as was Woli. "Hmm, how can I make my boxing manga more exciting? I know, an offensive racist caricature with magic monkey powers! Still not enough? How about a staring contest? That's something people like to watch, I guess."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, this sure is different, as was Woli. "Hmm, how can I make my boxing manga more exciting? I know, an offensive racist caricature with magic monkey powers! Still not enough? How about a staring contest? That's something people like to watch, I guess."

The amount of money animation studios would save on drawing this arc is stupendous.

So why exactly, seeing as Ippo is a manga four hundred years long, doesn't it have an anime? I mean I appreciate it had one but you'd think consistent popularity like that would be delicious to money-hungry studios.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nilbop posted:

The amount of money animation studios would save on drawing this arc is stupendous.

So why exactly, seeing as Ippo is a manga four hundred years long, doesn't it have an anime? I mean I appreciate it had one but you'd think consistent popularity like that would be delicious to money-hungry studios.

It had two full seasons and a movie or two. I'd guess that the second season didn't do well enough to warrant a third.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It had two full seasons and a movie or two. I'd guess that the second season didn't do well enough to warrant a third.

Yeah, seems so. then again there was a pretty big stretch between the first and second series. Maybe they're waiting for something that's as good of an end cap as hawk :v:

Seriously tho, I was dyin to see the WWII arc made. Hopefully somebody will put the money into an ova at some point, or a movie.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah, it's kind of weird. It might be due to the fact that the second season didn't cover any big Ippo fights. It started with Miyata winning the OBPF title (pretty exciting I guess), had Ippo vs Nao (aka Geromichi) which I doubt anyone cared about, had Date get rolled by Martinez (kind of cool), and ended with Takamura vs Hawk, which was honestly one of the best fights in the manga. Ippo just kind of got pushed out of the limelight for that season. Sure, they set him up to avenge Date, but that's years (or decades for us) in the future.

That said, I still enjoyed it and would certainly welcome a third season, even if the content covered would just be Ippo's slow descent into becoming a human punching bag with SAMURAI SPIRIT.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still sorta like how the audience perfectly matches the reader.

hurry up and fight already! Someone better throw a punch!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vagrancy posted:

Chapter 934

Jesus.loving.Christ! MORIKAWAAAA!

I am completely sure he is trolling now, seeing how far can he push the excitement of nothing happening at all.

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!
Guys let's just face it we'll never see Ippo fight Martinez in any of our lifetimes

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Infinitum posted:

Just 10 more chapters to go before Ippo unleashes his attack!

This is 100% loving accurate about what is going on. Jesus christ, I thought Berserk pacing was horrible but I was wrong.

(please understand I am seriously not comparing the two)

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I can't help being reminded of buttlord gt when reading this poo poo.

"They could fight any week now...."

"Holy poo poo, it's almost like something is happening?!?"

"Prepare for my ludicrously long power up. Hope you brought your sleeping bags"

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I know it's a bit ridiculous to try and seriously analyze the manga at this point, but does anyone else get the feeling that Ippo is reverting to his bullied kid mindset? He's forgetting everything he knows and won't make eye contact. Ippo can box, but he I'm pretty sure he can't fight for poo poo.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

furiouskoala posted:

I know it's a bit ridiculous to try and seriously analyze the manga at this point, but does anyone else get the feeling that Ippo is reverting to his bullied kid mindset? He's forgetting everything he knows and won't make eye contact. Ippo can box, but he I'm pretty sure he can't fight for poo poo.

No way in hell. I can see him taking some punches because he is "forgetting his own style" as Morikawa likes to do, but theres no way Ippo is reverting to the bullied kid mindset. That was a byproduct of fear and not having to confidence to stand up for himself. I think this is more Ippo ragin', which is still unfamiliar territory.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Nilbop posted:

It does. There was a first part that ran all the way to the second Sendo match, then a movie that covered the fight against Sanada. A couple years ago they had a new series start that lasted a year and ended around the Hawk fight. There's also apparently a third series being planned, but it's a quote from nearly two years ago from the blog of one of the VA's. My guess is the second series just didn't have the same appeal because a lot of people feel like Ippo is just dragging on.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
New Chapter.

Poke
Mar 1, 2004

PaleIrishGuy posted:

New Chapter.

Same old crap.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
gently caress you Morikawa you loving hack.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
928 - Walks to the dressing room
929 - Warms up
930 - Puts his gloves on
931 - Leaves the dressing room
932 - Walks to the ring
933 - Bell rings
934 - Stands still
935 - Stands still

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
If the next chapter were to start with Ippo suddenly collapsing into a heap on the mat due to an aneurysm, I think I would be okay with it.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

How the gently caress did he manage to draw that out again?

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Plus, apparently he's building up power in his leading hand? Prepare yourselves for the world's most powerful jab! In about 13 more chapters!

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Or he's gonna steal from Hunter X Hunter and Jan Ken Pon the guy.

I'll take anything at this stage.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
This is like, absolutely unreasonable

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This has become my favorite manga for all of the wrong reasons.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Don't worry guys I bet something will happen next time

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I got to the last page, and audibly yelled "MORIKAWA YOU SON OF A BITCH!".

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

frabba posted:

I got to the last page, and audibly yelled "MORIKAWA YOU SON OF A BITCH!".

:sigh:

I flipped off the screen.