Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
I haven't really seen a lot of Ninja 650s for sale around here. Anyone know how this is price wise, and anything specific to this bike I should be looking out for if I do go take a look.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2342784944.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

That's a good price for one if your market is like mine. A 2009 with 2k on it is being sold for near $6,000 at a dealer.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The first gen Ninja 650 seems to hover around 3200-3800$ around here depending on condition/miles. That blue one is pretty and looks in good shape with low mileage.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro

Plinkey posted:

What do you guys think of the ER-6Ns. A local place has a new, never titled 2009 for $4999.00.

I've been digging around for an SV-650 for a bit now, but they don't seem to show up at all in my area and I'm starting to like the ER-6N looks.

If you're in the Seattle area I can beat that price. Lovingly maintained and only dropped once!

The ER-6n is a fun bike with some decent aftermarket since it's mechanically identical to the 650r and has a lot in common with the Versys. Only thing is the naked 650 is way more popular in Europe, so some of the stuff I've ordered for mine has taken its sweet time shipping over from France.

Oh, and if you ride in the rain, don't eliminate your entire rear fender unless you like mud all up your back. For some reason the geometry of the EX650 does that.

change of subject:

I'm looking at the Ducati Monsters, latest generation. Is the 796 that much more bike than the 696? Or, more to the point, is there anything to recommend against a 696?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

deliverator posted:

If you're in the Seattle area I can beat that price. Lovingly maintained and only dropped once!

Only 2331 miles away!

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Plinkey posted:

What do you guys think of the ER-6Ns. A local place has a new, never titled 2009 for $4999.00.

I've been digging around for an SV-650 for a bit now, but they don't seem to show up at all in my area and I'm starting to like the ER-6N looks.

Buy it so I can ride it. Maybe I'll let you take the Versys for a spin. Maybe.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

deliverator posted:

change of subject:
I'm looking at the Ducati Monsters, latest generation. Is the 796 that much more bike than the 696? Or, more to the point, is there anything to recommend against a 696?

I tested the poo poo out of some 1100Ss and 796s before I made my decision to get a used S2R 1000.

I rode a demo 696, it's a good bike. It's really not that much of a difference between the two. If I had to choose, I'd grab the 796 for the single sided swingarm, I think they look better. Few other styling differences as well. I think the 796 sits about an inch higher too.

Off the top of my head (only rode the 696 a few times), the 796 has more grunt at lower RPMs, especially in the higher gears on the freeway. Not much, but I did notice it.

On the whole, I liked the 796 a hell of a lot more.

However, I will say there are some things about the newer Monsters I do not like. For one, I hate the gauges. I hate how loving annoying it is to lift the tank (have to take off all the pretty panels, etc). Just little things which kind of take away from the naked part of the Monster. It's easy to change the color though, if you ever get bored of it or want to try one of those (admittedly cool) color kits.

For the money, I would rather have a really well maintained/low miles S2R 1000 (avoid the 800), or S4RS. Which is what I decided to go with. But the new Monsters are drat pretty and you would have that warranty. I was thinking about the new 1100EVO, but if I had to have a new one I'd go with the 796. All the looks and right on the money price wise. For a hundred bucks or so you can get some stuff from TPO to rip out all the god damned emissions and air boxes and it's back to being a proper Monster.

This is my third Monster, fourth Duc and I'd never ride anything else.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

deliverator posted:

I really want to like the 796. But the 696 is so good - and so light, and so tiny - that I have trouble seeing the value in the 796. Seems like you either get a bargain with the 696 or you go all out and find a used 1100 if you need vaguely middleweight-baiting straight-line performance.

One problem with the 1100 over here is the fact that used Super Dukes and, for that matter, left over RC8s are so drat cheap. A buddy of mine got an old stock RC8 for £8,000 out the door, which is a hell of a lot of bike for less than the price of a new 600.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

I've recently passed the MSF course and gotten the full motorcycle endorsement on my license after a while of playing with the idea of getting into riding and I'm looking pretty hard for my first bike. Given that I really want to do things right and start off with a smaller (and cheaper) model I keep coming back to the GS500. I really prefer standard/naked bikes both in terms of style and riding position and really it seems to be either that or the EX500, which I'm really not a fan of visually, and they seem to cost more in my area, anyway.

Apart from a nice, cheap 1989 example that Dschingis Khan was going to sell me through the Marketplace (that he pulled out of :argh: ) I'm having a rough time finding any of them priced reasonably that are within a few hours of where I live. Which brings me to the question I already know the answer to: Would THIS be at all worth looking into? The seller gives no symptoms about the starting problem and out of the gate I'd have to spend around $90 for a good replacement rear tire.

Being that it's old and hasn't been run in quite some time I can take a few stabs at what the problem might be, but if anyone has more experience with GS500s and has info about any common starting problems or general issues I'd appreciate any advice. If anyone thinks it's worth looking into further I'll plan on calling and seeing if I can get any more info, but realistically I see myself having to wait a few more weeks (or months) to find a good running example around $1500. I've just been doing this for almost a month now and I'm getting impatient.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Congrats on your new licence.

The simple answer is, don't buy a bike that's been sitting for 6 or 7 years. The back tire isn't even an issue.

The exception that proves the rule is that you should buy it if you're a professional mechanic with a well-equipped shop and a lot of time on your hands, so you can take apart the fuel and electrical systems to sort out the starting problem.

Then you can fix all the other stuff that's died if it's been left in a shed for 7 years: fork seals gone, float bowls and jets full of varnish, mission-critical rubber gaskets perished (stuff that keeps oil, fuel and coolant in the right places), tires with all the grip of polished marble, corroded brake pistons, a coolant system that needs a careful flushing. Etc.

I would widen the search slightly. If you end up with an EX, not only are they nice bikes, but it's not like this is your "forever bike" (well, unless you REALLY like it).

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I've recently passed the MSF course and gotten the full motorcycle endorsement on my license after a while of playing with the idea of getting into riding and I'm looking pretty hard for my first bike. Given that I really want to do things right and start off with a smaller (and cheaper) model I keep coming back to the GS500. I really prefer standard/naked bikes both in terms of style and riding position and really it seems to be either that or the EX500, which I'm really not a fan of visually, and they seem to cost more in my area, anyway.

Apart from a nice, cheap 1989 example that Dschingis Khan was going to sell me through the Marketplace (that he pulled out of :argh: ) I'm having a rough time finding any of them priced reasonably that are within a few hours of where I live. Which brings me to the question I already know the answer to: Would THIS be at all worth looking into? The seller gives no symptoms about the starting problem and out of the gate I'd have to spend around $90 for a good replacement rear tire.

Being that it's old and hasn't been run in quite some time I can take a few stabs at what the problem might be, but if anyone has more experience with GS500s and has info about any common starting problems or general issues I'd appreciate any advice. If anyone thinks it's worth looking into further I'll plan on calling and seeing if I can get any more info, but realistically I see myself having to wait a few more weeks (or months) to find a good running example around $1500. I've just been doing this for almost a month now and I'm getting impatient.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I am looking to buy a cruiser from the 80's. It doesn't need to be fast and I will probably never ride more then 30-40 miles on it at one time, freeways rarely if ever. I mainly want one for relaxed country driving. Hoping to spend under 2.5k. Something easy to work on and reliable would be a major plus as I will be learning how to wrench on this bike. Suggestions?

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
So I sold my GZ250 and am now in the market for a beginner sport bike. I'm going with the standard Ninja 250/500 and GS500, maybe an SV if I could find a super sweet deal.

Anywho, the dealer in town has both a GS500 and a Ninja 250. The GS500F is an '08 with 4500 miles and has a couple scrapes and one crack in the fairing along the left turn signal, I didn't even notice the crack until today and I've looked at it 3 times so far. I took it out for a quick test ride and it was amazing compared to my GZ250. The only unusual thing was between 6k and 7.5k RPM it would make a really loud whine sound, like a turbo for a car is the best that I can describe it and it went away above 7.5k. I've never ridden a sport bike so I don't know if that is a normal sound or if it's something wrong with the engine.

The Ninja 250 is a 2010 with 50 miles on it, the problem is it was laid down on it's right side and there is some damage to it. The right fairing is scratched up in several spots, but are sanded down already and could be painted, the blinker and rear set are being replaced. The muffler is also slightly dented and also scratched, the engine has two scratches on it as well, one on the oil fill hole and another a bit further down on the crankcase. I'm wary of the 250 because of the damage to it. The fairing I'm not too worried about, but the scratches on the engine have me more worried.

I know this is going through a dealership so prices are going to be a bit higher, but they want 3k for the GS and 3.3k for the Ninja, plus tax and license. I'm learning towards the GS since it's in better condition and 2 years and 4k miles is nothing for bikes. My father, who is a savvy individual but doesn't know anything about motorcycles thinks the 250 is a better deal since it's newer and only has 50 miles. I do plan to keep either bike for quite a long time since both are said to be fun and economical, and I'm not a person who would get bored easily on it, as the only reason I sold my GZ was it was very poor on the highway and I wanted something that could travel highway speeds reliably.

I thought motorcycle buying was a pleasurable experience. Should have pulled the trigger on that 08 250 for 2200 a month ago, bah. Next time I won't sell my bike until I get another one, that way I'm not feeling naked without one.

BradleyJamers fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 27, 2011

Lazlo
May 1, 2002
Lately I've come to realize that I have certain materialistic needs.
I’ve been riding for about three years now and I’m looking to upgrade from my current and first bike, a Suzuki VZ800 marauder. I’ve also done a fair amount of riding on my father’s hot rodded-up HD softail deuce.

I like the looks of some of the Harley’s, like the dyna wide glide and fat bob, but I don’t like the prices or the lack of stock power. Though it would break my Dad’s heart because he’s a diehard Harley guy, the bike I’ve really been looking at is the BMW r1200r. I really hate the front fairing on the other beemers, but this naked bike is really what I like.

I’m looking into a test ride at the local dealer during an open house next month so I can see how I feel on one. In the mean time, I’ve had a very hard time finding all that many used BMW’s around on craigslist/cycletrader (Detroit area), and none of them were the model I’m looking for. I could probably afford to buy a new one, but I’d rather get a used one that’s a few years old. I haven’t seen many used in local dealer inventories either. Am I looking in the wrong places, or are they that hard to find?

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

BradleyJamers posted:

So I sold my GZ250 and am now in the market for a beginner sport bike. I'm going with the standard Ninja 250/500 and GS500, maybe an SV if I could find a super sweet deal.

Anywho, the dealer in town has both a GS500 and a Ninja 250. The GS500F is an '08 with 4500 miles and has a couple scrapes and one crack in the fairing along the left turn signal, I didn't even notice the crack until today and I've looked at it 3 times so far. I took it out for a quick test ride and it was amazing compared to my GZ250. The only unusual thing was between 6k and 7.5k RPM it would make a really loud whine sound, like a turbo for a car is the best that I can describe it and it went away above 7.5k. I've never ridden a sport bike so I don't know if that is a normal sound or if it's something wrong with the engine.

The Ninja 250 is a 2010 with 50 miles on it, the problem is it was laid down on it's right side and there is some damage to it. The right fairing is scratched up in several spots, but are sanded down already and could be painted, the blinker and rear set are being replaced. The muffler is also slightly dented and also scratched, the engine has two scratches on it as well, one on the oil fill hole and another a bit further down on the crankcase. I'm wary of the 250 because of the damage to it. The fairing I'm not too worried about, but the scratches on the engine have me more worried.

I know this is going through a dealership so prices are going to be a bit higher, but they want 3k for the GS and 3.3k for the Ninja, plus tax and license. I'm learning towards the GS since it's in better condition and 2 years and 4k miles is nothing for bikes. My father, who is a savvy individual but doesn't know anything about motorcycles thinks the 250 is a better deal since it's newer and only has 50 miles. I do plan to keep either bike for quite a long time since both are said to be fun and economical, and I'm not a person who would get bored easily on it, as the only reason I sold my GZ was it was very poor on the highway and I wanted something that could travel highway speeds reliably.

I thought motorcycle buying was a pleasurable experience. Should have pulled the trigger on that 08 250 for 2200 a month ago, bah. Next time I won't sell my bike until I get another one, that way I'm not feeling naked without one.

Not sure where you are but I recently (last month) got a brand new 2009 GS500F for 3800 out the door (tax and license included). This is in NY which tends to be more expensive for most things as far as I know.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Lazlo posted:

I’ve been riding for about three years now and I’m looking to upgrade from my current and first bike, a Suzuki VZ800 marauder. I’ve also done a fair amount of riding on my father’s hot rodded-up HD softail deuce.

I like the looks of some of the Harley’s, like the dyna wide glide and fat bob, but I don’t like the prices or the lack of stock power. Though it would break my Dad’s heart because he’s a diehard Harley guy, the bike I’ve really been looking at is the BMW r1200r. I really hate the front fairing on the other beemers, but this naked bike is really what I like.

I’m looking into a test ride at the local dealer during an open house next month so I can see how I feel on one. In the mean time, I’ve had a very hard time finding all that many used BMW’s around on craigslist/cycletrader (Detroit area), and none of them were the model I’m looking for. I could probably afford to buy a new one, but I’d rather get a used one that’s a few years old. I haven’t seen many used in local dealer inventories either. Am I looking in the wrong places, or are they that hard to find?

The R, in my opinion, is the best of the boxer-engined BMWs. Less of a boat anchor than the GS, cheaper than the S models and a bit more relaxed, less stuff to break or fall off than an RS.

Problem is that most BMW buyers don't agree and prefer the fashionable GS or the excellent but pricey RT. Our local BMW dealers are full of those bikes and of the 800s, whereas the R is an extremely rare bird.

Look for the R1150 and R1100R as well. If you're coming from a Marauder and Harleys, the older engines will still have enough power for you and the chassis is much better than either of the above. Also cheaper than the 1200!

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005

Mister Duck posted:

Not sure where you are but I recently (last month) got a brand new 2009 GS500F for 3800 out the door (tax and license included). This is in NY which tends to be more expensive for most things as far as I know.

Yea, I would try new, but there isn't one for over 300 miles near me. Does yours make a loud whirling sound between 6k and 7.5k rpms, or any range? The best I can describe it, is that it sounds like a car turbo that's whining up.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

BradleyJamers posted:

Yea, I would try new, but there isn't one for over 300 miles near me. Does yours make a loud whirling sound between 6k and 7.5k rpms, or any range? The best I can describe it, is that it sounds like a car turbo that's whining up.

Yeah it did seem like there was inventory being cleared out, there were a few places that had them reasonably cheap.

Yeah I hear it make a sound like that. It seems to start at around 5.5kish for me, if it's the same sound you are thinking of. It sounds somewhat like the whine from my GTI, but not exactly like turbo spool. I haven't pushed the bike too hard since it's still only got like 150 miles on it (just got my license).

Here is a link where you can kind of hear it from when I was just riding around testing the cam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbrg9xOLDyk

EDIT: Newer higher quality upload, not used to video editing stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9-h5k184LE

Mister Duck fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 28, 2011

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Welp after reading so much about (recentish) bikes in the past couple of days. I've totally fallen for the Shadow RS. Despite the tiny tank and the slightly underpowered engine it is exactly what I want. I'm going to check out a new one today after work, but man I hope I can find a used one around somewhere.

*Prays he doesn't impulse buy a new one*

This is a stretch, but I don't suppose anyone has one and can tell me what they think...?

E: Humorously enough someone here mentioned the RS to me when I was looking for my first bike last summer.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 28, 2011

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ChiTownEddie posted:

Welp after reading so much about (recentish) bikes in the past couple of days. I've totally fallen for the Shadow RS. Despite the tiny tank and the slightly underpowered engine it is exactly what I want. I'm going to check out a new one today after work, but man I hope I can find a used one around somewhere.

*Prays he doesn't impulse buy a new one*

This is a stretch, but I don't suppose anyone has one and can tell me what they think...?

E: Humorously enough someone here mentioned the RS to me when I was looking for my first bike last summer.

AHEM.

If you've settled on that style, you should probably do a bake-off between that and a late model garage queen peanut tank Sporty, which can probably be had for half the price of a new RS. The Roadster variant would probably come closest to the RS in terms of sane ground clearance. In either case, get one where some moto-dilettante has already eaten the depreciation for you.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 28, 2011

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Marv Hushman posted:

AHEM.

hahahaha. Just chalk it up to me not knowing what I want ;) But you, sir, are awesome.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know anything about the VMax, it looks like a fun cross between a cruiser and a standard.

Found a 2007 for $4700.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Plinkey posted:

Does anyone know anything about the VMax, it looks like a fun cross between a cruiser and a standard.

Found a 2007 for $4700.

Monster engine with not a lot of anything else around it. Still have a huge following and a large aftermarket, ran essentially unchanged for a very long time. An awesome muscle cruiser, even in today's world.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005

Mister Duck posted:

Yeah it did seem like there was inventory being cleared out, there were a few places that had them reasonably cheap.

Yeah I hear it make a sound like that. It seems to start at around 5.5kish for me, if it's the same sound you are thinking of. It sounds somewhat like the whine from my GTI, but not exactly like turbo spool. I haven't pushed the bike too hard since it's still only got like 150 miles on it (just got my license).

Here is a link where you can kind of hear it from when I was just riding around testing the cam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbrg9xOLDyk

EDIT: Newer higher quality upload, not used to video editing stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9-h5k184LE

Yea, I can kinda hear it in your videos, found a video that you can really hear it on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeHCq8bIXt8&feature=related So it's not a bad thing, just a quirk of the bike. That puts my mind at ease, I'll probably take another test ride tomorrow and will have myself another bike.

JamesMxP
May 6, 2007
Decisions, decisions. Just sold off my 2003 SV1000s, and putting my DRZ400SM up on the market soon. Need a supermoto, but something that can do long straight stretches to get to the twisties without inflicting too much pain.

Currently comparing a KTM 690 SMC and either a Husqvarna 510 smr, 610 sm, or 630 sm.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Per your requirement about doing straight long stretches without pain, the 510 is absolutely off your shopping list.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/2352027167.html

Would this be silly for a first bike? The market for SV650's is absolutely horrible here in Phoenix and the surrounding area right now, and I've always had a soft spot for the VFR's. Would I be an rear end offering the guy 1500?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
On the topic of monsters someone just posted a 2009 696 w/ 5,000km and some aftermarket goodies (exhaust, etc) for $6,500 which is one hell of a deal given the local used market.

I've already got a drz for around town and what I want is something for taking longer distances. I want to do a ~4000km/2 week road trip some time this summer and obviously the drz won't cut it (I'm not hardcore enough for that). I've been keeping an eye out for a VFR800 but the chances of one popping up for any reasonable price seem to be pretty low.

Anyone who has one or has ridden one, what are they like on the highway? My only highway experience is the drz which was pretty miserable at 100kph. I wear earplugs so wind noise isn't the end of the world but I'm worried about buffetting/wind fatigue (I live in a very windy province).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

JamesMxP posted:

Decisions, decisions. Just sold off my 2003 SV1000s, and putting my DRZ400SM up on the market soon. Need a supermoto, but something that can do long straight stretches to get to the twisties without inflicting too much pain.

Currently comparing a KTM 690 SMC and either a Husqvarna 510 smr, 610 sm, or 630 sm.

I'd just go flat out and buy the 690. I mean, I'm biased, because that's exactly what I'm doing, but it seems that if you want the best street supermoto, the 690 SMC is where it's at.

You can't really mod the 610/630 platform to reach the power of the 690, and they're a little cheaper but not enough to justify going to if you're buying used. 08-09 SMCs are getting hit hard by depreciation and can be found for the mid 5s now, maybe even lower if you're bargaining.

Quite A Tool posted:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/2352027167.html

Would this be silly for a first bike? The market for SV650's is absolutely horrible here in Phoenix and the surrounding area right now, and I've always had a soft spot for the VFR's. Would I be an rear end offering the guy 1500?

98HP, I'd recommend you look at something a bit less powerful. What about GS500s/Ninja 500s?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Lazlo posted:

Though it would break my Dad’s heart because he’s a diehard Harley guy, the bike I’ve really been looking at is the BMW r1200r.

Have you considered a Buell XB12something? They're still sort of a Harley [motor is based on the Sporty 1200's] but without the huge price tag. They make retarded amounts of torque and about 100hp stock, all within 6000 or so RPM. Really fun to ride, lots out there, and you can still get parts and service for them.

My wife rides a R1150R and we share a storage unit with a guy who rides a XB12XT - I've rode them both back to back; they have similar riding ergos but the Buell is a lot more exciting.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Industrial posted:

I am looking to buy a cruiser from the 80's. It doesn't need to be fast and I will probably never ride more then 30-40 miles on it at one time, freeways rarely if ever. I mainly want one for relaxed country driving. Hoping to spend under 2.5k. Something easy to work on and reliable would be a major plus as I will be learning how to wrench on this bike. Suggestions?

There really is no compelling reason to reach back to the 80s for a cruiser, beyond misguided nostalgia or the challenge of spare parts geocaching. Not when there are deals like this to be had:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/2352828972.html

Just don't get this one. DIBS.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I am in the market for a DRZ400Sm and having started looking, I've realized I don't really know what I should be looking for. I would like to buy now but I know this might be a bad time since it is right at the beginning of the season. I have a few near enough for me to consider, across a range of prices. I am most interested in the most expensive one here, but I don't know if all the extras are worth it. Any thoughts?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2344758999.html - $4200

quote:

2006 Black Suzuki DRZ 400 SM (super Moto) with only 4512 miles and many sweet mods, Mods include: IMS 3.2 gallon polymer fuel tank, new cap and offroad breather tube, Great for long trips over stock tank. Rox 2.5 inch billet bar risers, Acerbis offroad hand guards with billet mounts, Unabiker Armor super moto radiator guards.
3 X 3 and Eddies Thumper Talk jetting mods by Pro Pilot. Dyno-jet Stage 2 jetting, K&N filter. Complete Yoshimura exhaust Stainless header ,polished and stainless silencer. Best Yoshi pipe for a DRZ 400 Motard/SM. Thumper Talk manual timing chain tensioner. Front and rear suspension completely valved by Pro-Action Suspension. Rear shock and remote reservoir pressure sensitive damping circuitry. Three stage incremental self adjustable valving. A lot better over single stage set-up. Compensate for any riding style and rider. Front forks have Pro Action flow dynamic pistons and 3 stage valve bodies. Hydraulic lock designs eliminates bottoming front and rear that progressively soak up everything on and off-road. Front and rear shock has Eibach Performance EMS ultra lightweight springs. Suspension mods weren’t cheap. Hyde Racing proma formed engineered skid plate, Skid plate fits engine like a glove. Thumper Talk case guards both sides. Moose racing. Thumper Talk MCCT MSR long brake and breakaway shifter levers, tail light modification, Spare gearing by Moose racing and Sprocket Specialists. I have a great highway gear set-up on bike now. New black billet blade style mirrors. Braking USA brand wave rear rotor.
Extra air filters and parts, and very well maintained. Oil and filter changed at 600 and every 1500 miles. Just serviced last October. These bikes have high performance dry sump lubrication system.
Inspection good till 8-11.
Tires are real good condition. Lots of miles left. Bike is in good to excellent shape. Never laid down. Runs excellent and preforms awesome.
$4200 or best reasonable offer.

These are the others which seem to be similar in regards to mileage and
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/mcy/2318153357.html
http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2276829672.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2331996098.html

JamesMxP
May 6, 2007
Z3n, wish I could find a 690 in the 5k range. Only used one within eight hours of here is sitting at around 7k, and its a huge drive to go get it. Any dealers within the same distance that have new/used ones act like they've crapped a gold brick and want top dollar.

I agree that the 690 SMC is likely the right choice, but the Husqvarnas are all that seem to be available within my price range/geographic area.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nyyen posted:

Inspection good till 8-11.

First off, be careful about this. If you live in MD the bike has to be inspected before you can title it. Inspections are good for 90 days from the date of inspection. Use this as a bargaining chip when you're going to look at bikes. If they did have it inspected ask to see the inspection papers before you buy.

If you don't live in MD disregard. Unless it's actually a PA bike, in which case you'll have to get it inspected.

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
I've been looking for SV650s here but they've been kinda scarce lately. I saw this for sale where my parents live: http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/2347030254.html. I got a shipping quote of $270 door to door from my parents house to mine. Price wise I don't think this works out too bad, but my concern is I don't know anyone in the area that could do a test ride for me.

I basically would just have my father(who knows a lot about cars, but not so much bikes) to inspect it/watch the owner ride it. Is this crazy idea on my part? If not any suggestions exactly what to tell him he should be looking out for when inspecting it?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Marv Hushman posted:

There really is no compelling reason to reach back to the 80s for a cruiser, beyond misguided nostalgia or the challenge of spare parts geocaching. Not when there are deals like this to be had:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/2352828972.html

Just don't get this one. DIBS.

My initial reasoning was price, but further research has led to me finding other cruiser bikes that are newer and in the same price range. What was the bike you posed, it seems to have been taken down.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Industrial posted:

My initial reasoning was price, but further research has led to me finding other cruiser bikes that are newer and in the same price range. What was the bike you posed, it seems to have been taken down.

It was a late 90s Shadow ACE 750 for 2300; they typically average just above 3K, plus this was the kinda rare green/cream paint scheme I dig. Someone jumped on it fairly quickly. I think it'd be a good candidate for your stated budget and purposes.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2352372719.html

tell me not to buy this bike. Remind me that upkeep will be a huge hassle. point out that enfields arent worth it.

cause omg so awesome

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

BlueBayou posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2352372719.html

tell me not to buy this bike. Remind me that upkeep will be a huge hassle. point out that enfields arent worth it.

cause omg so awesome

2800 tops, but only if he throws in a free pedestrian slicer.

I've flirted with the idea too. The problem is, cashing in a few more returnables and selling a few more pints of blood puts you squarely in used Bonneville territory, and that's a sexier place to be. I've seen late model Bonnie Blacks in the low 4s when there's a perfect storm of sale pressure involved.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Empire Waffles posted:

Dude, buy it. It come with $4,500 cash, so it's basically a free bike.