Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Nonsense posted:

Why did anybody believe a loving thing about Yemen?

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/04/201143094747158908.html

Wow. Power must be an amazing drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
-Sure hope this Brega rumor has some truth to it.
-Mining in the known path of aid ships? I know some shipments of weapons came from Benghazi, but is he trying to be as cartoonishly evil as possible?
-There does seem to be a momentum shift, what with the Misratans expanding into the outer city limits and the Nafusans cave-fighting all the way to Tunisia. If his forces can't even take Misrata (tactical retreat my rear end, he was aiming for Zawiyah 2.0) while it's surrounded and can't hold Tripoli's own mountain backyard, what chance of victory does Gaddafi have?
-I count about seven suchlike momentum shifts, is that correct?

1) Unprecedented protests almost everywhere
2) State Forces shoot everything that moves
3) Protesters take many cities, all the east and some of the west, charge from Ajdabiya to Sidrah
4) Gaddafi goes medieval on nearby towns, counterattacks all the way to the gates of Benghazi
5) UN airpower wins the round, rebels on the road to Sirte
6) Pro-G forces go low-vis and scatter the rebels back to Ajdabiya
7) Misurata pushes back; the Mountains become a cat-and-mouse game

-Who does Saleh think he is? Gaddafi?

-Now that Rafah is opened, what will Hamas do? Will they try for more rockets or follow that shiny new accord with the PA? The Israelis are twitchy enough as it is.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ecureuilmatrix posted:

-I count about seven suchlike momentum shifts, is that correct?

1) Unprecedented protests almost everywhere
2) State Forces shoot everything that moves
3) Protesters take many cities, all the east and some of the west, charge from Ajdabiya to Sidrah
4) Gaddafi goes medieval on nearby towns, counterattacks all the way to the gates of Benghazi
5) UN airpower wins the round, rebels on the road to Sirte
6) Pro-G forces go low-vis and scatter the rebels back to Ajdabiya
7) Misurata pushes back; the Mountains become a cat-and-mouse game
The start was more like protests started, state forces started shooting everything, there were more protests, state forces started shooting with AA guns, that let to Benghazi and other cities to rise up in revolt, then Gaddafi started to take back cities, first Zawiyah, and then he tried Benghazi, but just as he reached the gates the UN stepped in.

ChangeInLibya is Tweeting a daily update from Misarata at the moment:

quote:

This morning the freedom fighters started attacking Gaddafi forces at Alghiran.. and the main battle took place at Misrata's airport and next to the bridge at Tripoli street. This battle continued till this evening, & the revolutionaries managed to kill many of Gaddafi's soldiers and injure others. The rest of the soldiers were forced to retreat to the "sikkak" area which is further away. We also heard that NATO managed to hit 2 of Gaddafi's tanks as they retreated from the airport.

Currently, the revolutionaries are checking the airport and making sure that there are no remaining soldiers or mercenaries. The revolutionaries are also checking the "ghiran" and making sure that Gaddafi forces can't advance from there.

The "Halbous" #FF brigade being led by the commander Ali Alhalbous managed to attack Gaddafi forces in Misrata's eastern end and there was a big battle there next to the "shanteen" apartment blocks. Freedom fighters managed 2 push Gaddfi forces back and they are now further away from the city on the eastern coastal road. However, quite a few freedom fighters died there.

After the attack on Misrata's airport, Gaddafi forces started bombarding the city indiscriminately once again and they hit many parts of the city especially the city centre with mortars, GRAD missiles and cluster bombs.

As for the western part of Misrata, there were no battles today and the situation is the same as yesterday. Revolutionaries are fortifying their positions there and preparing for any possible future attacks by Gaddafi forces.

Revolutionaries therefore managed to push Gaddafi forces further back in most parts of the city & are making steady progress.

There was a rumour that Mutassim Gaddafi arrived in Zliten and he is preparing to recruit mercenaries there so they can attack Misrata dressed up as civilians, and due to these rumours, revolutionaries are starting to check people more often. Revolutionaries are also patrolling the city more often and making sure every possible attack point is well defended.

Misrata still lacks the most basic humanitarian needs (water, food, medicine, working sewage systems, phone networks). This morning however, the environmental protection agency finished cleaning buildings that were used to be occupied by G and they incinerated some equipment that was left over by Gaddafi forces to prevent diseases from spreading. The "environmental protection agency" is a local group in Misrata tasked with battling diseases from dead bodies etc.

We also noticed that cellular phone signals have been returning for 30mins - 1 hr fir the last couple of days, and this is was not due to our ongoing repairs, but it was done deliberately by Gaddafi forces. They are probably relying on cell-phones to communicate with each other nowadays within Misrata and in the outskirts.

I think that basically means that the Airport and Air Academy were liberated today.. and that Gaddafi soldiers ran away?

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
I've heard rumors that Iranian forces are helping Syria massacre protestors.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Apparently Saif Gadaffi has been killed in a NATO airstrike. According to a Libyan official, anyway.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's apparently Saif Al-Arab, not Saif Al-Islam, the one whose on the news all the time.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

State TV is also claiming 3 of his grandsons were also killed.

The BBC has a story about it, guessing it's probably true:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13251570

The spokesman also said Gaddafi was in the house but escaped unharmed. I guess one question is who is feeding NATO information about Gaddafi's whereabouts?

Liberty4Libya also just Tweeted this:

quote:

Gadafi sokesman says that they will accept ceasefire, elections and new system of government.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 30, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AJE

quote:

Saif al-Arab, the youngest son of the Libyan leader, has been killed in a NATO air strike, a Libyan government spokesman said.

The spokesman said Muammar Gaddafi was unharmed but three of his grandsons were also killed in the attack in Tripoli on Saturday.

"The house of Mr Saif al-Arab Gaddafi was attacked tonight with full power. The leader with his wife was there in the house with other friends and relatives.

"The leader himself is in good health, he wasn't harmed," the spokesman said, adding that Muammar Gaddafi's wife was also unharmed but other people in the house were injured.

"This was a direct attempt to assassinate the leader of the country", he said.

He said reporters would be brought to the site in daylight to witness the destruction.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003
Yeah, looks like a botched assassination attempt.
Not that Gaddafi doesn't deserve it, but the UN resolution certainly doesn't authorize killing him, much less his family.
And killing presumably innocent people just because they happen to be close to a dictator is no way to win sympathy. Of course right now we only have the government spokesman's word for it, but if true it doesn't cast a good light on NATO actions.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Freigeist posted:

Yeah, looks like a botched assassination attempt.
Not that Gaddafi doesn't deserve it, but the UN resolution certainly doesn't authorize killing him, much less his family.
And killing presumably innocent people just because they happen to be close to a dictator is no way to win sympathy. Of course right now we only have the government spokesman's word for it, but if true it doesn't cast a good light on NATO actions.

Sympathy from whom? His country is revolting and he has no strong international allies. Think everyone knew from the get go that unless Gaddafi stepped down at the beginning then he'd be targeted for assassination.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
It appears that he's not beyond making this kind of poo poo up and that Saif al-Arab may have defected

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/nbc%E2%80%99s-mitchell-regurgitates-gaddafi-lies/

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/02/25/moammar-ghaddafis-son-joined-libyan-revolutionists/

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

AllanGordon posted:

Sympathy from whom? His country is revolting and he has no strong international allies. Think everyone knew from the get go that unless Gaddafi stepped down at the beginning then he'd be targeted for assassination.

That's not within the scope of the UN mandate. The US treads dangerous ground every time it tries to assassinate a political figure or leader.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

schadenfraud posted:

It appears that he's not beyond making this kind of poo poo up and that Saif al-Arab may have defected

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/nbc%E2%80%99s-mitchell-regurgitates-gaddafi-lies/

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/02/25/moammar-ghaddafis-son-joined-libyan-revolutionists/

Back in 1986, we bombed Libya, including Gaddafi's house. According to him, we wasted his 2 year old adopted daughter. Thing is, it's suspected that daughter actually didn't exist, and it was just a fabrication for propaganda purposes. Gaddafi could very well have done that kind of thing again.

CreedyKillZ
Mar 26, 2011

I love those crazy Dutch
Pics or it didn't happen, really.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

The NATO argument is that he (part of the command and control infrastructure) is ordering civilians to be killed and killing him protects them. Seems reasonable to me.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003

AllanGordon posted:

I am still concerned that Gaddafi has more popular support than the Libyan opposition wants us to believe. Now I will buy that the majority oppose him, but if 90% were really against him shouldn't more cities be revolting? Who is fighting in his armies and who is suppressing dissent in the cities? Rebels of course say mercenaries, but I have seen no evidence that they make up more than a small portion of his men.

And well, Putin at least will probably have something to say about this tomorrow. And Chavez will be furious! :rolleyes:

Anyway, hoping for better pics of the house soon, must have been a pretty big and well reinforced one if Gaddafi and his wife were really in there too and somehow emerged unharmed. Bunker-like one might say...

Edit: OK, NATO says it only bombed a "command and control facility" in Tripoli. Truth? Who knows.

neamp fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 1, 2011

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

quote:

a Libyan government spokesman said

And that reason is why I think I'll wait until further information is given. Maybe this time they'll be able to find the house when they drive reporters out.

I wouldn't put it past Gadaffi to shoot his own son for trying to get him to give up.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Freigeist posted:

I am still concerned that Gaddafi has more popular support than the Libyan opposition wants us to believe. Now I will buy that the majority oppose him, but if 90% were really against him shouldn't more cities be revolting?

How are people still saying this?

In the early stages of the revolution, there were riots and protests in every major city. Police stations and government buildings in Tripoli were burned down, the police were being overrun. Ghadaffi just barely managed to carve out a safe zone for himself by massacring protesters in the street with armour and airstrikes.

Just because people aren't revolting in Tripoli now (because doing so would be a quick way to eat an anti-aircraft shell), doesn't mean there's no support for the revolution there.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Slave posted:

The NATO argument is that he (part of the command and control infrastructure) is ordering civilians to be killed and killing him protects them. Seems reasonable to me.

It's also plain as day assassination though. That's never a good thing for political ramifications. China for example is such a goddamn X factor should they decide enough is enough in terms of Western advancement of values. Yes, hopefully we can get rid of Gaddafi ASAP, but if NATO has to personally shove a bomb up his rear end then it's a bit of a nasty political cost.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Slantedfloors posted:

Just because people aren't revolting in Tripoli now (because doing so would be a quick way to eat an anti-aircraft shell), doesn't mean there's no support for the revolution there.

Actually, people have been rebelling against the Qaddafi regime in Tripoli in recent days.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

How are people still saying this?

In the early stages of the revolution, there were riots and protests in every major city. Police stations and government buildings in Tripoli were burned down, the police were being overrun. Ghadaffi just barely managed to carve out a safe zone for himself by massacring protesters in the street with armour and airstrikes.

I am not saying there is no support, in fact I am sure there is an overall majority that would like to see Gaddafi go. The question is how big is this majority and how determined are they to see it through.
And on the other hand how many do support Gaddafi and follow him blindly enough to murder their countrymen to ensure his stay in power. Problem is there still seem to be plenty in this second category.

If there really is as little true support for Gaddafi as some say his "supporters" including those in the army will melt away when the situation becomes untenable to them, Tripoli and other cities will rise up finally and thousands of protesters will have no great problem dealing with the remaining hard core of loyalists.
If the split in the population is not that clear however, say bad case 60/40 of opponents versus supporters I fear that removing Gaddafi will be very difficult and bloody.

That really is my concern, not whether the rebels are legitimate or such crap, but how this revolution can succeed with as little further bloodshed as possible.
Therefore I think it's important to convince as many Libyans as possible that Gaddafi is the bad guy, that there is an alternative to his government and that NATO is there to help them out. Killing children doesn't have a real positive impact in this regard is all I'm saying.
And whether this story turns out true or not right now it seems like a huge PR coup for Gaddafi.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
There isn't anyone in Tripoli thinking "Hmmm, maybe he really is the victim here". People made up their minds back when he ordered anti aircraft guns fired into crowds of protesters.

The intervention didn't happen overnight, they spent more than a month asking politely if he could tone down on the mass murder, rape, looting and terror attacks.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's only a PR coup if you think that the lines haven't already been drawn. This LA times article claims that rebels across the east are celebrating his death.

quote:

The attack seems sure to raise more questions about NATO strikes on Tripoli.

A United Nations resolution has approved NATO airstrikes as a means to save civilian lives in Libya, where rebels have revolted against Kadafi's four decades of rule. But the Libyan government has condemned the strikes on Kadafi's compound as an assassination attempt.

In the eastern rebel capital of Benghazi, celebratory gunfire erupted when word of the younger Kadafi's death was reported. The streets were filled with celebrants firing automatic weapons and igniting explosives. Tracer fire filled the night sky.

Earlier Saturday, Kadafi had called on NATO to agree to a cease-fire and used language that seemed more conciliatory than some of his earlier requests.

NATO and rebel officials had rejected his call and demanded that Kadafi stop attacks on civilians.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-libya-strike-20110501,0,409419.story

I agree that political killings are wrong and certainly that killing noncombatants and children are wrong but I feel like taking out one of Momo's kids makes him look impotent and gives a big boost to the rebels and NATO forces.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

automatic posted:

children

dude was like 30

e- oh wait, grandkids too huh

real shame

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I have to ask, as someone who supports the intervention, what's the difference between killing Qaddafi with an airstrike or bombing thousands of loyalist troops to let one of the revolutionaries shoot him? The end result is going to be the same. Even if he gets captured and put on trial, it's not like they're going to let him lead the country again even on the massively long shot that he actually is innocent. It seems like it'd just be saving a lot of time and lives. The only possible downside I see is a loss of legitimacy to the revolution, but I don't think that will hurt the revolution in the world's eyes anymore than the intervention to date has.

I feel like I'm missing something.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ArchRanger posted:

I feel like I'm missing something.

The whole trial part I think is what you're missing.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think one could argue a case that taking out Qadaffi is cool under U.S law due to his previous support for terrorism. Since he hasn't been active in that arena for awhile I think the case would be pretty weak. I'm not that familiar with international law, but I am sure there is a UN position against assassinating political leaders.

quote:

Part 2.11 of this executive order reiterates a proscription on US intelligence agencies sponsoring or carrying out an assassination. It reads[1]:

No person employed by or acting on behalf of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, assassination.
Previously, EO 11905 (Gerald Ford) had banned political assassinations and EO 12036 (Jimmy Carter) had further banned indirect U.S. involvement in assassinations.[5] As early as 1998, this proscription against assassination was reinterpreted, and relaxed, for targets who are classified by the United States as connected to terrorism.[6][7]

With that said, I would prefer a quick decapitation strike as opposed to a sham trial. If we could get him before an International court that would be best.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

THE HORSES rear end posted:

I've heard rumors that Iranian forces are helping Syria massacre protestors.

Wouldn't be surprised given that there were rumors of Syrians being flown in to put down the protests in Iran after Dinner Jacket "won" re-election.

Speaking of which I'm surprised Iran isn't also exploding since it has the same or worse unemployment numbers for it's young adults. Or they did but were brutally silenced a year too soon, or are they just being overshadowed by everything else in the region.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A Winner is Jew posted:

Wouldn't be surprised given that there were rumors of Syrians being flown in to put down the protests in Iran after Dinner Jacket "won" re-election.

Speaking of which I'm surprised Iran isn't also exploding since it has the same or worse unemployment numbers for it's young adults. Or they did but were brutally silenced a year too soon, or are they just being overshadowed by everything else in the region.

I could see some serious poo poo going down June 20 for the 2 year of Neda's death. Especially if Gadafi is dead/out of power by then.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
If Gadaffi just happens to be next to a radar dish or a missile launcher or something that could be possibly used to murder a Libyan well then that's just collateral damage.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

automatic posted:

I think one could argue a case that taking out Qadaffi is cool under U.S law due to his previous support for terrorism. Since he hasn't been active in that arena for awhile I think the case would be pretty weak. I'm not that familiar with international law, but I am sure there is a UN position against assassinating political leaders.

He's part of the military apparatus, so I don't think international law has anything to say about it (though the UN may very well discourage it). The executive order does ban assassinations, though the executive has purposefully interpreted it as narrowly as possible since Reagan.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm still not convinced any of it really happened, given the only sources we have are Gadhafi, and his government isn't exactly high on the credibility meter as of late.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Pedrophile posted:

If Gadaffi just happens to be next to a radar dish or a missile launcher or something that could be possibly used to murder a Libyan well then that's just collateral damage.

I agree, run the military like the mafia.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think this should really be treated as a case of pics or it didn't happen, it's just a bit too convient for Gaddafi. He wants a ceasefire so he can resupply the troops, so this would help him with getting one, although I don't think it'll help him as much as he thinks even if it is true.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

dude was like 30

e- oh wait, grandkids too huh

real shame

Let's not forget that his grandchildren could also be of military age. That maybe one of the reason why they're not disclosing it. It's easier to generate sympathy when people think of them as babies and not uniformed military officers who got a military commission at the age of 17-18 because of nepotism.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If they were Saif-al arab's children they couldn't be that old unless he had kids at 11. I can't find a source that identifies whose grandchildren they were though, so yeah they could have been low/mid level military. Dude has 8 kids and god knows how many grandkids.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/04/2011430224755721620.html

quote:

"This was a direct operation to assassinate the leader of this country. This is not permitted by international law. It is not permitted by any moral code or principle.

"What we have now is the law of the jungle," Ibrahim told a news conference.

"We think now it is clear to everyone that what is happening in Libya has nothing to do with the protection of civilians."

Ibrahim would not give the names of the three children, who he claimed were killed, except to say they were nieces and nephews of Saif al-Arab and that they were younger than 12. He said they are not releasing the names yet to protect the privacy of the family.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's fabricated or just done by Mad Gad for reasons others have talked about. Gotta love how many of the Libyan state news stories we get reek of pot/kettle moments. With the massive amount of outright lies and misinformation they've been saying, I don't see how anyone could trust or believe anything they post as news. For these same reasons I put major doubt on a ceasefire ever being reached, especially with the amount of times Gad's falsely played that card. Him fleeing or dying seem like the only 2 ways this'll end. I'd laugh my rear end off hearing the speeches he'd give at his trial (picture the look on his face when he's interrupted in the middle of one his hour long tales by the judge and told to get to the loving point), but I can't picture him surrendering with that ego.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I have to wonder why he keeps calling ceasefires since he has to know that everyone knows it's bullshit.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Pureauthor posted:

I have to wonder why he keeps calling ceasefires since he has to know that everyone knows it's bullshit.

It's hard to resupply your troops so they can continue to bomb/shoot/rape civilians when NATO is bombing you and the rebels are shooting at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Few bits:

quote:

Reuters The UK foreign office minister says he has no verification that one of Gaddafi’s sons was killed in a NATO air strike.

quote:

Al Jazeera English Battles appear to be raging in several cities across Libya. Al Jazeera is hearing reports that a large convoy of Gaddafi military vehicles entered two towns just outside the city of Ajdabiya. But NATO then apparently moved in with air strikes. Further west, near the western border with Tunisia is where gunbattles are reportedly going on between government troops and anti-Gaddafi forces. This spot has been the source of regular skirmishes and is a vital supply line.

quote:

Reuters NATO air strikes destroyed 45 vehicles belonging to Gaddafi’s forces after they killed at least 5 civilians in Jalu and Awlijah.

quote:

BBC Buildings belonging to the UN were also subject to a mob attack in Tripoli. The UN says it’s withdrawing all its international staff from Tripoli.

quote:

Reuters The UK has condemned attacks on the British embassy in Tripoli and other diplomatic missions. “Such actions, if confirmed, would be deplorable as the Gaddafi regime has a duty to protect diplomatic missions. This would be yet another breach of Gaddafi’s international obligations,” a foreign office spokeswoman said earlier. The foreign office says it has information that other foreign sites have been attacked as well and has expelled Libya’s ambassador to the UK, he has 24 hours to leave the country. Smoke was also seen rising from the Italian embassy on Sunday. Italy also strongly condemned the attack as a “grave and vile act”.

Now for something that could be the sign of something terrible:

quote:

Times of Malta Gaddafi forces have been seen roaming the streets of Misrata wearing gas masks, contacts have told the Times of Malta. Sources at the hospital confirmed these reports and an independent source says thousands of gas masks had been distributed to troops yesterday. A source in Misrata said: “”The winds are blowing from the East right now which would make a gas attack unlikely but many people are viewing the death of Gaddafi’s son as the tipping point which could trigger the worst feared retaliation.”

If he uses gas in Misarata on a large scale then it'll be such an awful crime that I doubt his pals in Russia will be unable to turn a blind eye to it.

• Locked thread