Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

PT6A posted:

Just get a set of snow tires and you'll be able to deal with pretty much anything Seattle winter can throw at you. I drove mine in the winter in Calgary (albeit not on the worst days, because I didn't want to deal with the traffic nightmares) and had no problems whatsoever, even in some terrible conditions (they don't plow residential streets at all, so there's always plenty of snow and ice on them).

The problem with Seattle winters isn't so much what the weather will throw at you, but the fact that other drivers tend to like to throw their CARS at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wombot posted:

E: Does anyone else think the painted nose on the GT500s and V6s looks better than the all-black plastic nose on the GTs?

Are you talking about the lower section of the front bumper? I've seen GTs with a body colored strip in the lower part. I think the black plastic looks more aggressive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MikeyTsi posted:

The problem with Seattle winters isn't so much what the weather will throw at you, but the fact that other drivers tend to like to throw their CARS at you.

True enough, the same reason I don't particularly like driving in Calgary winters. It's odd: we had a snowstorm yesterday, but it was warm enough that it melted on the roads. Still, visibility was poor. What do drivers do in response? Go 30 under the limit without turning their lights on! Drive for the problem that doesn't exist, all while ignoring and exacerbating the problem that does exist.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

PT6A posted:

True enough, the same reason I don't particularly like driving in Calgary winters. It's odd: we had a snowstorm yesterday, but it was warm enough that it melted on the roads. Still, visibility was poor. What do drivers do in response? Go 30 under the limit without turning their lights on! Drive for the problem that doesn't exist, all while ignoring and exacerbating the problem that does exist.

I don't know if this is silly, but I've always been under the impression that if the wipers go on, so should the headlights.

Call me crazy I guess...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

SouthLAnd posted:

I don't know if this is silly, but I've always been under the impression that if the wipers go on, so should the headlights.

Call me crazy I guess...

In Some states, this is a law, albeit one that I've never seen enforced. It should just be common sense.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

Call me crazy I guess...

You're not crazy, it's what I was taught too. I want to say a few states have a law of "Wipers on, lights on"

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Imperador do Brasil posted:

In Some states, this is a law, albeit one that I've never seen enforced. It should just be common sense.

Ohio is this way, but it's not a primary offense. I pretty much leave my lights on from October to April.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
I'm curious if he meant he didn't understand why there isn't a mechanism that simply turns the headlights on when you activate the wipers. It wouldn't be that difficult to implement, after all.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

ApathyGifted posted:

I'm curious if he meant he didn't understand why there isn't a mechanism that simply turns the headlights on when you activate the wipers. It wouldn't be that difficult to implement, after all.

Nah, it was more the common sense part of turning your lights on in inclement weather.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well, today I realized how bad I have become at drag racing in my eight year hiatus. Couldn't hook up, and flat out lost traction on my first run and almost beefed it into the wall. Couldn't manage a solid run at all. I was so disappointed with myself that I just put it under the cover when I got home.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Are you talking about the lower section of the front bumper? I've seen GTs with a body colored strip in the lower part. I think the black plastic looks more aggressive.

Nope, I mean the vertical bits between the headlights and the grill. On V6s they are body colored, but on the V8s they're black plastic same as the grill. I think the body color helps better diferentiate the sections.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007
Picked up a 2011 5.0 today. GT Premium in Candy Apple Red. Over a 36k sticker, got them down to almost 8k below that. Here's my car with my nerdy self.

Got the automatic (I drive in heavy traffic a lot and after reading all this stuff on here and a few other forums, I called it quits on a manual :() but my god it's smooth. Drove home on the highway and had the cruise set at 60mph and felt like I was doing 35.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, today I realized how bad I have become at drag racing in my eight year hiatus. Couldn't hook up, and flat out lost traction on my first run and almost beefed it into the wall. Couldn't manage a solid run at all. I was so disappointed with myself that I just put it under the cover when I got home.

Well mister you're never gonna get any better unless you get right back up on that horse (:v:) and practice some more.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Fucknag posted:

Well mister you're never gonna get any better unless you get right back up on that horse (:v:) and practice some more.

Is there a primer or something I can read so I don't act a fool on my first strip day

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fucknag posted:

I plan on trying again, but I'm going to practice with another car as well, to get my skills back up to snuff.

RockSmart - don't drive through the burnout box unless you plan on warming the tires up. Otherwise, they stay wet and you lose traction going into second gear and you go all over the track...fun.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 1, 2011

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
You drive in heavy traffic a lot, so you got a hugely overpowered sports car but with an automatic transmission. Makes sense.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I will never understand the "but but but but TRAFFIC" argument against a manual transmission. The worst thing about being stuck in heavy traffic with a manual gear box is the traffic, not the clutch.

You know, the exact same thing that is the worst thing about being stuck in traffic with an automatic transmission.

That excuse is the last refuge of the lazy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Scabrous Teat posted:

You drive in heavy traffic a lot, so you got a hugely overpowered sports car but with an automatic transmission. Makes sense.

Yeah, it's so overpowered that he'll never ever appreciate it over a V6.

A.o.D. posted:

I will never understand the "but but but but TRAFFIC" argument against a manual transmission. The worst thing about being stuck in heavy traffic with a manual gear box is the traffic, not the clutch.

I dunno, it's pretty bad. I had a car with a heavy clutch and stop-and-going for 30 min every day would cause me knee pain. I imagine it was extra wear on the clutch as well.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Aberroyc posted:

Picked up a 2011 5.0 today.

Good on ya, haters gonna hate the auto but what counts is that you got the car you wanted. At least you won't have to worry about not being able to shift at WOT :v:

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Aberroyc posted:

Picked up a 2011 5.0 today. GT Premium in Candy Apple Red. Over a 36k sticker, got them down to almost 8k below that. Here's my car with my nerdy self.

Love the color. Red makes them go faster!

Not sure about the auto aspect, I'm a manual guy myself. Are you getting it tuned any time soon?

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Scabrous Teat posted:

I never said I was a practical man.

Also, before this I owned a 2004 V6. I always regretted not going into debt for an extra year not getting the GT. Wasn't going to make that same mistake twice!

Aberroyc fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 1, 2011

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, it's so overpowered that he'll never ever appreciate it over a V6.

I dunno, it's pretty bad. I had a car with a heavy clutch and stop-and-going for 30 min every day would cause me knee pain. I imagine it was extra wear on the clutch as well.

Mustangs aren't exactly known for having a heavy clutch, though. Most cars with a stock clutch aren't. It's just a cop-out. At least be proud of liking automatics like FrozenPhil, as misguided as he is.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Sometimes it takes me 90 minutes to travel 15 miles (Woo, DC). Driving a stick is awful when the traffic is so slow it's below your creep along in 1st speed. The clutch is literally in/out/in/out constantly. Once you get above a steady 4-5mph and can just drive in 1st it's ok.

I take the train now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

sanchez posted:

Sometimes it takes me 90 minutes to travel 15 miles (Woo, DC). Driving a stick is awful when the traffic is so slow it's below your creep along in 1st speed. The clutch is literally in/out/in/out constantly. Once you get above a steady 4-5mph and can just drive in 1st it's ok.

I take the train now.

I revisit my previous point that the worst thing about traffic like that is the traffic, not the clutch. When's the last time you said to yourself "This gridlock is GREAT! I'm having so much fun thanks to my automatic transmission!"

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

A.o.D. posted:

I revisit my previous point that the worst thing about traffic like that is the traffic, not the clutch. When's the last time you said to yourself "This gridlock is GREAT! I'm having so much fun thanks to my automatic transmission!"

When's the last time you were in gridlock traffic with a manual trans and you thought "WOW this gridlock traffic is so much fun with a manual because I just LOVE having to clutch in and out and go from neutral to first every 2 seconds I JUST LOVE IT, AUTOMATICS ARE SO INFERIOR IN THIS SITUATION".

Honestly I loving HATE automatics, but your argument is just stupid. Driving a manual in gridlocked traffic sucks much worse than driving an automatic in gridlocked traffic, period. All you gotta do is let your foot off the brake with an auto.. gently caress shifting into first just to move two feet and then have to do it all over again.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
What's wrong with automatics? An auto with a high stall is tons of fun.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Brain Issues posted:

When's the last time you were in gridlock traffic with a manual trans and you thought "WOW this gridlock traffic is so much fun with a manual because I just LOVE having to clutch in and out and go from neutral to first every 2 seconds I JUST LOVE IT, AUTOMATICS ARE SO INFERIOR IN THIS SITUATION".

Honestly I loving HATE automatics, but your argument is just stupid. Driving a manual in gridlocked traffic sucks much worse than driving an automatic in gridlocked traffic, period. All you gotta do is let your foot off the brake with an auto.. gently caress shifting into first just to move two feet and then have to do it all over again.

Gridlock on hills is especially a pain in the rear end, too. If you live in a hilly city with frequent gridlock, I can't fault you for buying an automatic.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

Your face is stupid. You're overstating how incredibly back breaking and unbearable it is to work a clutch.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Your face is stupid. You're overstating how incredibly back breaking and unbearable it is to work a clutch.

I drove standard cars for about 18 years straight. They can be a pain in the rear end sometimes, especially during stop and go traffic.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Nobody is saying it's anything past a pain in the rear end (ie bearable but irritating), which you seem to be unable to comprehend. That fact that the traffic itself sucks both ways is irrelevant.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 1, 2011

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

sanchez posted:

Nobody is saying it's anything past a pain in the rear end (ie bearable but irritating), which you seem to be unable to comprehend. That fact that the traffic itself sucks both ways is irrelevant.

I think he was also motivated by the tranny-talk going on about the GTs.

I've driven manuals all my life but I can sympathize with a person not wanting to deal with neutral->1->neutral shifts every day for 2 hours during their commute. On the topic, why the heck hasn't Ford made a DSG-like transmission for the Mustang? I know they have one for the Focus and Mondeo but I guess it can't handle the power of the V8?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

A.o.D. posted:

You know, the exact same thing that is the worst thing about being stuck in traffic with an automatic transmission.

That excuse is the last refuge of the lazy.

Turn in your user name, charlatan!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
hahaha funny.

I've driven stick plenty but in a place like Los Angeles I think I would have an automatic commuter unless I worked at night.
Still, if you have a stick shift in traffic you should practice leaving lots of room ahead of you so you are not constantly stopping and starting. Well, you should do this with auto too. It's much easier that way and better in the end.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Still, if you have a stick shift in traffic you should practice leaving lots of room ahead of you so you are not constantly stopping and starting.

If you do this in Boston, you'll get pulled out of your car and beaten. Or people will just flood your gap and get people behind you pissed, and then they'll drag you out.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Picked this up a couple of days ago. It's a 2002 V6. The previous owner installed a Magnaflow cat-back, and a BBK cold air intake, and other than that, it's all stock. About 100,000 miles on it. I'm in love with it.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

PT6A posted:

Gridlock on hills is especially a pain in the rear end, too. If you live in a hilly city with frequent gridlock, I can't fault you for buying an automatic.

Seriously. Try a gridlocked downtown Seattle or San Francisco on a rainy day with road construction driving on summer radials and nearly 30 degree inclines. I have to turn the loving radio off so I can hear the engine revs and not stall out or spinout during the stop and go.

Thelonious Drunk fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 2, 2011

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Oxytocin posted:

Seriously. Try a gridlocked downtown Seattle or San Francisco on a rainy day with road construction driving on summer radials and nearly 30 degree inclines. I have to turn the loving radio off so I can hear the engine revs and not stall out or spinout during the stop and go.

You guys know that this is one of the functions of the e-brake, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

You guys know that this is one of the functions of the e-brake, right?

I am not a perfect manual driver. I'm probably in the lower quartiles. But I can use the ebrake maneuver to help on hills. That said, driving in stop and go is a chore, and I disagree with the guy who said heavy traffic is its own punishment. It's even more of a drag with a manual.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I am not a perfect manual driver. I'm probably in the lower quartiles. But I can use the ebrake maneuver to help on hills. That said, driving in stop and go is a chore, and I disagree with the guy who said heavy traffic is its own punishment. It's even more of a drag with a manual.

I drive a manual with a 2600 lb. pressure plate in stop-and-go traffic. You guys are whining about nothing.

(walks in circles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

I drive a manual with a 2600 lb. pressure plate in stop-and-go traffic. You guys are whining about nothing.

I used to drive a rally car to-from work, on a 40min commute each way. Just because I can do it doesn't mean I like it.

I got no beefs with someone buying an automatic for daily use. I wouldn't do it, certainly not for a car I would even consider tracking, but let people make their own choices. We need to separate a refusal to learn manual from the real convenience that automatics offer.