Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Ahaha, just had the funniest incident messing around in Armadillo. I downloaded the Assassin's outfit and all I had to do was do the duel. The guy took ages to spawn so I started messing around with people, pushing them over and all that.

Then Herbert Moon runs by me. I had to mess with him. I pulled out my lasso and decided that I would drag him to his store and hogtie him there. Now, as soon as I hogtied him everyone went screaming. Everyone except a nun. She walked up to me and told me her story about how her nunnery is poor and that they need donations. She went on to say how she heard all the great things that John had done. I never stopped dragging Herbert through her speech. She just followed me through Armadillo, praising me the whole way about how I was such a good person.

God I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Cabinet posted:

Ahaha, just had the funniest incident messing around in Armadillo. I downloaded the Assassin's outfit and all I had to do was do the duel. The guy took ages to spawn so I started messing around with people, pushing them over and all that.

Then Herbert Moon runs by me. I had to mess with him. I pulled out my lasso and decided that I would drag him to his store and hogtie him there. Now, as soon as I hogtied him everyone went screaming. Everyone except a nun. She walked up to me and told me her story about how her nunnery is poor and that they need donations. She went on to say how she heard all the great things that John had done. I never stopped dragging Herbert through her speech. She just followed me through Armadillo, praising me the whole way about how I was such a good person.

God I love this game.

As far as your actions towards Herbert Moon go, she's right. :)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
poo poo. I haven't played in a while, and doing missions online with pubbies gets lame after a while.
If I can get back into PSN anytime soon, I'll throw my handle out and saddle up with you guys.

Is the zombie pack worth it?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Pope Mobile posted:

poo poo. I haven't played in a while, and doing missions online with pubbies gets lame after a while.
If I can get back into PSN anytime soon, I'll throw my handle out and saddle up with you guys.

Absolutely.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Pope Mobile posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I gladly would've paid more for it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's the single greatest bargain I have ever seen for a DLC, and it has spoiled me for future DLC missions.

It's loving amazing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So, Red Dead devoured my entire March and April, pretty much. :(

100% completion, ~Level 30 online, Undead Nightmare finished (all outfits unlocked, still need to do some extra junk), and I almost have 1000/1000 for the main game. I haven't gotten into a game this much since Assassin's Creed. This really gives me high hopes for L.A. Noire.

Also if you go back and play GTAIV at Red Dead's pace (Ie: Be a good guy, try not to steal cars, etc.) it's actually way more fun.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
This is going to be a bit of an odd question, but I figure it can't hurt.

I'm a new PS3 owner for the sake of Bluray and a few games. Before the PS3 I've never owned a console except a SNES. This pretty much means I'm straight down horrible with the PS3 controller.

I've played a few games (Demon Souls/Valkyria Chronicle), but they were pretty slow-paced.
If I'd get Red Dead Redemption, how hard would I find it? Is there a difficulty setting?

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lamquin posted:

I'm a new PS3 owner for the sake of Bluray and a few games. Before the PS3 I've never owned a console except a SNES. This pretty much means I'm straight down horrible with the PS3 controller.

I've played a few games (Demon Souls/Valkyria Chronicle), but they were pretty slow-paced.
If I'd get Red Dead Redemption, how hard would I find it? Is there a difficulty setting?

There isn't a difficulty setting, but you have dead-eye, which is bullet time, that makes aiming easier. I'm also pretty bad at aiming with joysticks and I didn't really have any problems.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Really glad I got into free roam. I love pissing off people doing gang hideouts so they chase me down, repeatedly kill them and then skulk around sniping and throwing dynamite at them after they forget about me. Listening to two kids complain in Tumbleweed right now about how they can't find me and how sniping and TNT is "human being poo poo" :allears:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lamquin posted:

There isn't really a difficulty setting but there is an auto aim setting.

On the easiest level, it automatically targets headshots, and will make you turn around on your horse, etc to find the closest enemy.

Expert mode is literally that, meaning you aim and find your own target.

I am not really a gifted player, but I was able to get through it on the medium setting without much trouble.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fennesz posted:

Really glad I got into free roam. I love pissing off people doing gang hideouts so they chase me down, repeatedly kill them and then skulk around sniping and throwing dynamite at them after they forget about me. Listening to two kids complain in Tumbleweed right now about how they can't find me and how sniping and TNT is "human being poo poo" :allears:

The best thing is doing this to people who aren't trying to kill you. Had a guy come up to me outside of Tesoro Azul and hop off his horse five feet away from me. I shot him in the head before his feet touched the ground, and we spent 20 minutes trying to kill each other. So much fun. :haw:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dewgy posted:

The best thing is doing this to people who aren't trying to kill you. Had a guy come up to me outside of Tesoro Azul and hop off his horse five feet away from me. I shot him in the head before his feet touched the ground, and we spent 20 minutes trying to kill each other. So much fun. :haw:

Yeah that's actually what I did too. I was finishing up Fort Mercer and a guy was walking away from me. I aimed at him, he says "don't even think about it" so naturally I blow his head off and he recruits some other guy I had killed trying to do Critchley's Ranch to hunt me down.

My favorite trick is throwing dynamite behind you if you're being chased on horseback. If you time it correctly it takes out pretty much everyone giving you a window large enough to escape. It's also hilarious sniping people on horse back while you're at a full gallop.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Did Remember My Family again today. It's so lazy that, they send you to the guy's cabin where he lives with his wife, and it's just the run down shithole where you look for Irish's Gatling gun the first time. There's still broken wagons/stacks of crates/miscellaneous cover hanging around. Inside is empty besides like a cot and a table. Nobody could live there. They didn't even try to change it.

Of all the little homesteads and stuff sprinkled around this massive game world, why did they just recycle that place?

Oh well. I put off all the stranger quests and rushed through the story, so now I'm going to do them all in my spiffy new US Marshall outfit. Lookout, bastards of the west, here comes the long arm of Marston. I AM THE LAW.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bloodcider posted:

Did Remember My Family again today. It's so lazy that, they send you to the guy's cabin where he lives with his wife, and it's just the run down shithole where you look for Irish's Gatling gun the first time. There's still broken wagons/stacks of crates/miscellaneous cover hanging around. Inside is empty besides like a cot and a table. Nobody could live there. They didn't even try to change it.

I thought it was just supposed to be a little side-home for when he went out hunting. Which, given the three year time jump is entirely possible.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure the first guy you talk to says he "retired to a little cabin on Lake Don Julio".

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bloodcider posted:

I'm pretty sure the first guy you talk to says he "retired to a little cabin on Lake Don Julio".

And working out of Blackwater for all of those years, he definitely doesn't own a place there either. Nope. When folks retire they're absolutely required to sell all other properties they own.

e: \/ I took it more of him trying to get out of the city because the Government didn't want him to totally retire from the organization. John's past wouldn't let him go - just like Ross' His wife even makes a comment about it.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 2, 2011

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

fennesz posted:

And working out of Blackwater for all of those years, he definitely doesn't own a place there either. Nope. When folks retire they're absolutely required to sell all other properties they own.

I just assumed he made a lot of enemies and had to live in a remote place after retirement.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
This is all kinda moot, the point I'm making is the place looks like gang hideout still. :effort:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bloodcider posted:

This is all kinda moot, the point I'm making is the place looks like gang hideout still. :effort:

Fair's fair. She despawns after that mission anyway, and all is back to normal.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I just assumed he made a lot of enemies and had to live in a remote place after retirement.

Too bad for him the first person you find in town and talk to tells you right where he is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I always wondered why they never used that ranch that's south of Armadillo for anything... started with a V. Not even UN used it, and it went out of its way to use that little shack down on the river just south of Thieves' Landing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only thing more fun than shooting someone's horse when they are galloping towards you, is shooting someones horse with the explosive rifle when they are galloping towards you.

Seeing someone eat dirt and slam face first into a cactus is great, seeing them fly through the air and spaz is even better.

God I love this game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fuzz posted:

I always wondered why they never used that ranch that's south of Armadillo for anything... started with a V. Not even UN used it, and it went out of its way to use that little shack down on the river just south of Thieves' Landing.

Venter's Place is a gang hideout online (and a fairly easy one), that's about it really.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Venter's Place is a gang hideout online (and a fairly easy one), that's about it really.

I still hate that they made the vanilla gang hideouts tougher just to tempt me into buying DLC. I've been sniped by dudes throwing knives in Tesero Azul so many drat times.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Can anyone confirm whether the pre-order (now downloadable) War Horse shows up in Undead Nightmare? I got a few spare points, but I mainly pop in RDR to run around wasting my ammo on zombies, and I want to do it with a new horse.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
I just kind of dropped the zombie pack mid way through because the towns kept getting ransacked by the zombies after I rescued it and I hated finding a drat train to get to the other side of the map. Do the towns ever stop getting owned by the zombies?

And, is there an actual storyline end to the zombie DLC, or is it just "keep on saving the towns over and over again"? I think I got to Mexico and stopped.

I wouldn't mind finishing the DLC.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

hog wizard posted:

I just kind of dropped the zombie pack mid way through because the towns kept getting ransacked by the zombies after I rescued it and I hated finding a drat train to get to the other side of the map. Do the towns ever stop getting owned by the zombies?

And, is there an actual storyline end to the zombie DLC, or is it just "keep on saving the towns over and over again"? I think I got to Mexico and stopped.

I wouldn't mind finishing the DLC.

You are in the home stretch. Keeping all the towns alive at once leads to an achievement, if you don't care about that just ignore them and finish the story. (If you let one town die you can't bring it back that play through so you have to start over if the achievement matters to you)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The storyline ends at some point but the zombies always stay.

Honestly I just ignored the towns after beating the storyline and getting the achievement for saving all of them.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
I think I already let one of the towns die because it was insane to keep going back from one end of the map to the other just to kill like 10 zombies.

I don't remember, but is there a quicker/easier way to travel across the map besides the train? I think I remember not being able to camp out somewhere and magically travel like I used to be able to before the DLC.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

hog wizard posted:

I think I already let one of the towns die because it was insane to keep going back from one end of the map to the other just to kill like 10 zombies.

I don't remember, but is there a quicker/easier way to travel across the map besides the train? I think I remember not being able to camp out somewhere and magically travel like I used to be able to before the DLC.

Save points in rescued towns allow insta-travel, and if you try to travel to a settlement that's under attack it'll put you right outside.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

There's a train in UN? I haven't seen one. Is it because I haven't got to zombie mexico yet?
I don't have the war horse, couldn't tell ya Morter.

Kly fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 5, 2011

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So no one currently talking about the Undead Nightmare stuff has the (pre-order) War Horse? :(

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Morter posted:

So no one currently talking about the Undead Nightmare stuff has the (pre-order) War Horse? :(

I would love to tell you because I'd like to purchase this as well.

But god drat you PSN! :argh:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Triple XP going on right now on XBox & Playstation.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Saint Sputnik posted:

You mean just XBox, since PSN is still down. :smith:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'd kill for them to do this after work hours PST just once. :mad:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Just finished the last part of that stranger-mission, "American Appetite". I decided to save the husband and hogtied the cannibal. Then I had to think of something to do with him. I considered leaving him bound up there, so he'd be eaten by a pack of wolves (which would have been fairly ironic) but decided otherwise.

I put him on the back of my horse, and drove all the way back to Armadillo, since that's where most of his victims came from.. Then, I left him hogtied on the rail road for all the town to see. The 12-o'clock train sure made an entrance that day!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I'm doing my third playthrough now and just opened up Blackwater. I've left all of the stranger missions alone so that Jack can do them, in the interest of becoming the man his parents wanted him to be. Also for any interesting alternate dialogue...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Philip J Fry posted:

I'm doing my third playthrough now and just opened up Blackwater. I've left all of the stranger missions alone so that Jack can do them, in the interest of becoming the man his parents wanted him to be. Also for any interesting alternate dialogue...

That won't work. The stranger missions are only doable by John. If you don't do them before the switch, they're gone forever.

• Locked thread