Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Not that I don't love this debate, but can we please drop the transmission retardation? If you like to shift your own gears and enjoy pushing in a clutch because it makes you feel more connected to the soul and passion of your fine automobile while you sit in gridlocked traffic, whatever; just have that debate somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I used to drive a rally car to-from work, on a 40min commute each way. Just because I can do it doesn't mean I like it.

I got no beefs with someone buying an automatic for daily use. I wouldn't do it, certainly not for a car I would even consider tracking, but let people make their own choices. We need to separate a refusal to learn manual from the real convenience that automatics offer.

I don't track my Z28 other than drag racing so for my needs a stalled auto can't be beat. I love manuals and I love built autos. Now a grocery getter like a civic or corolla with an auto? Forget it... they NEED a manual due to the tiny amount of horsepower just so they can get out of their own way.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

frozenphil posted:

Not that I don't love this debate, but can we please drop the transmission retardation? If you like to shift your own gears and enjoy pushing in a clutch because it makes you feel more connected to the soul and passion of your fine automobile while you sit in gridlocked traffic, whatever; just have that debate somewhere else.

Doesn't really matter if it has less than 8 cyls, though... :haw:

I've seen a recent influx of foxbodies here on the west coast desert - I have yet to decide if it's due to further emission controls in California, or just due to the heat.. any insight on that?

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I drive a manual in traffic on a regular basis. This in a Corolla. MY old work truck was a GMC 8500 that I drove in stop and go traffic even more. It wasn't that bad. I found my gas foot got more tired than my clutch foot. And I used to clutch to upshift and downshift in that thing.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
This isn't really Mustang related, but it could be an appropriate tangent for this thread:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/02/lincoln-considering-a-performance-line/

Since a lot of people (online) seem to be asking Ford to make a v6 EcoBoost 'Stang, and Lincoln is looking to spice things up, maybe they will consider a two- and four-door, Mustang derived car to kick off their performance lineup?

Lincoln is a really a near non-competitor in the luxury car market, so much so that I'm surprised they exist anymore. However, a CTS/G-/3-series fighter that is derived from the Mustang's platform could really diversify their lineup and attract new customers without stepping on the Mustang's toes.

The Lincoln (MK-9???) could be a high-tech Japanese/Euro style car with IRS and both, the 3.7 and 3.5 EB motor. Ford has pretty much become the techiest car company out there, so a ton of cool gadgets is a given. Heck, maybe they could figure out how to squeeze and all-wheel drive system in there as well.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I imagine if they based a Lincoln off the Mustang underpinnings it'd get a lengthened wheelbase at the very least. LWB apparently screams luxury in China, and it seems to be making its way elsewhere as well.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I'd totally get one if they stuck a V8 inside and make it sound as sexy as an AMG Merc. Luxury "muscle cars" are glorious.

cobalus
May 6, 2009
Here's a detour from the transmission debate. Hope you don't mind.

I live in the San Gabriel Valley area of Southern California, and I have a 1969 Mustang coupe that is in need of bodywork and paint. There are many body shops within a few miles of my home, but hardly any have a website that provides much useful information. Most shops that do have websites seem to focus mainly on collision repair for newer vehicles, which is not exactly what I need.

Is there anyone in my area who has had a good experience with a shop that specializes in restoring classic muscle cars? If not, can anyone suggest a better method than Google for tracking down a good restoration shop?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CombatWombat posted:

I imagine if they based a Lincoln off the Mustang underpinnings it'd get a lengthened wheelbase at the very least. LWB apparently screams luxury in China, and it seems to be making its way elsewhere as well.

Killbot posted:

I'd totally get one if they stuck a V8 inside and make it sound as sexy as an AMG Merc. Luxury "muscle cars" are glorious.

Time for a new Falcon!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cobalus posted:

I live in the San Gabriel Valley area of Southern California, and I have a 1969 Mustang coupe that is in need of bodywork and paint. There are many body shops within a few miles of my home, but hardly any have a website that provides much useful information. Most shops that do have websites seem to focus mainly on collision repair for newer vehicles, which is not exactly what I need.

Is there anyone in my area who has had a good experience with a shop that specializes in restoring classic muscle cars? If not, can anyone suggest a better method than Google for tracking down a good restoration shop?

I think you should post in this thread. LobsterboyX or another poster might know.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362175

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

cobalus posted:

Go and meet the lovely people at http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/
I can promise you they will know exactly who is the best in your area. Those people are scary loving knowledgeable about Mustangs; like Rainman knowledgeable. Just keep in mind that they are all older folks and don't exactly use computers often. Expect several all caps replies and other really weird grandfather type advice to anything you ask.

cobalus
May 6, 2009

CharlesM posted:

I think you should post in this thread. LobsterboyX or another poster might know.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362175

Thank you. I have followed your suggestion. We'll see what happens!

cobalus
May 6, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Go and meet the lovely people at http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/
I can promise you they will know exactly who is the best in your area. Those people are scary loving knowledgeable about Mustangs; like Rainman knowledgeable. Just keep in mind that they are all older folks and don't exactly use computers often. Expect several all caps replies and other really weird grandfather type advice to anything you ask.

Yeah, I thought I'd start here just because I'm a little more used to the SA forums than old guy car forums. However, I guess old guy advice might be exactly what I need. Thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a shot!

edit: "give" it a shot. That's what I meant...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CombatWombat posted:

They could just stick with the FWD Taurus underpinnings honestly. It's a pretty good platform and no one (certainly not the Chinese) really cares about which wheels are driven.

BurgerPimp
Jul 10, 2010
Just started driving my Mustang regularly again after having switched to a car that was more wallet-friendly in terms of gas throughout the winter. Now that it's nice out again, there's nothing better than rolling down the windows and driving. Makes the trip to work much more enjoyable.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

SlimManFat posted:

Picked this up a couple of days ago. It's a 2002 V6. The previous owner installed a Magnaflow cat-back, and a BBK cold air intake, and other than that, it's all stock. About 100,000 miles on it. I'm in love with it.

http://imgur.com/52ivD
http://imgur.com/AQppr

I have a couple of concerns on this car, I was wondering if someone could answer my questions. My speedometer often reads zero, only to prop back up to where it is supposed to be. Every now and then I catch it in my eye. It may or may not have happened to the tach too. My eyes might be playing tricks on me. What cause my speedometer to do that? Also, 'stang people, that scoop on my hood, could someone let me know if it is stock or or not. It's a 2002 V6, Manual transmission.

Some more pictures of her after a nice wash and a wax.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
No factory scoops until 2003, UNLESS it was built in florida and had the pony package which was available there in 2002.

Locobono fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 4, 2011

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
It looks like Top Gear (the magazine) loves the new Boss. I hope it turns up on the show.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

SlimManFat posted:

I have a couple of concerns on this car, I was wondering if someone could answer my questions. My speedometer often reads zero, only to prop back up to where it is supposed to be. Every now and then I catch it in my eye. It may or may not have happened to the tach too. My eyes might be playing tricks on me. What cause my speedometer to do that? Also, 'stang people, that scoop on my hood, could someone let me know if it is stock or or not. It's a 2002 V6, Manual transmission.

Doubt that's stock, but they made so many variations on the New Edge models it's sometimes hard to tell. That looks like the GT hood scoop on there, and I can't seem to find any sites that still listed the options for those year Mustangs. Also, my speedo would have issues when I put in a (LOL RICER) aftermarket gauge cluster which soon got changed out with an OEM replacement.

One word of advice from someone who owned a 2004 V6, be careful of that alternator. I had to replace mine 4 times by the time I just traded it in at 116k miles. Luckily it's the easiest alternator replacement you can ever imagine.

Aberroyc fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 5, 2011

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Well, it looks like 8 new Boss 302's just bit the dust before they even got to a dealership. Out of those 8, 3 were Laguna Seca editions. Link

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Here is a good look at the underside of the new BOSS, pretty cool.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/03/03/a-look-at-the-underside-of-the-2012-mustang-boss-302/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The one thing I've learned from my hunt is that the factory splitter for the Laguna Seca is actually a dealer-installed part. It's deemed too unwieldy for street use, so it's shipped separately from the car. The text in the brochure notes that, no, you cannot fit it into the car in any way and take it home with you.

e: How did that one resonator already get dented up?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

kimbo305 posted:

The one thing I've learned from my hunt is that the factory splitter for the Laguna Seca is actually a dealer-installed part. It's deemed too unwieldy for street use, so it's shipped separately from the car. The text in the brochure notes that, no, you cannot fit it into the car in any way and take it home with you.

e: How did that one resonator already get dented up?

It is made like that for some reason, the stock exhaust on my moms 2011 gt is the same way, I changed out the axle back and noticed that the day we got it home.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Devyl posted:

Well, it looks like 8 new Boss 302's just bit the dust before they even got to a dealership. Out of those 8, 3 were Laguna Seca editions. Link

A load of '05 GTOs went the same way.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/04/26/train-full-of-2005-gtos-derails/

:smith:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Number_6 posted:

A load of '05 GTOs went the same way.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/04/26/train-full-of-2005-gtos-derails/

:smith:

BMW destroyed a whole fleet of 3 Series and M3's because of salt damage from shipping. They sat in a yard about a mile from my house. Everyone in town was talking about going to steal a beemer.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
You have been aced by the Cougar Ace.
Over 4000 Mazdas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_Ace

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

Here is a good look at the underside of the new BOSS, pretty cool.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/03/03/a-look-at-the-underside-of-the-2012-mustang-boss-302/

Is that four exhaust outlets, with one on each side coming out of an H-pipe? No wonder that thing sounds godly.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Something about this looks raw as gently caress.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

scapulataf posted:

You have been aced by the Cougar Ace.
Over 4000 Mazdas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_Ace

Sorry for the derail but here's a really good article about the CA salvage effort in case anybody's interested:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-03/ff_seacowboys

BurgerPimp
Jul 10, 2010

Oxytocin posted:

Sorry for the derail but here's a really good article about the CA salvage effort in case anybody's interested:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-03/ff_seacowboys

That was a really well-written article. Took a bit, but an excellent read.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
MulletThread. That's mostly fox-body guys, right?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

RockSmart posted:

MulletThread. That's mostly fox-body guys, right?

It's just ignorant as gently caress, really. Camaro drivers are the be-mulleted ones.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Fixed.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

sigtrap posted:

Fixed.

Thanks for making me feel self-conscious about not wearing sleeves sigtrap.

Just a quick question, anyone here with a 2010+ convertible? Someone I know is looking to trade in a 2000 something MX-5 for a 2011+ GT vert. The only Mustang vert I ever sat in was a really lovely experience but that was a new edge. Have they gotten any better?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sigtrap posted:

Fixed.

Much better.

*flex* hello ladies

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

sigtrap posted:

Fixed.

You just added 10 horsepower to this thread with that massive weight reduction; but now what am I gonna put my pack of smokes in?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

kronix posted:

The only Mustang vert I ever sat in was a really lovely experience but that was a new edge. Have they gotten any better?
Well, what did you think was lovely about the one you sat in? My 2011 is a convertible.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Presto posted:

Well, what did you think was lovely about the one you sat in? My 2011 is a convertible.

It just felt like a cheap convertible. It was louder than I thought it should be, the top leaked and it was just kind of a lovely convertible. This was a '98 and it was sometime in 2002 so it was already a 4 year old car. I love my 5.0 but I haven't heard a lot about the convertible.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sigtrap, I am so mad at you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

Sigtrap, I am so mad at you!

If you want to sort this issue out like men, I bet I could find a kiddy pool and some jello...