Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

SiB posted:

After about 3 years of wanting one, I finally got one (worth buying). The cars around here (northern alberta) are usually junk, 300,000+ km, or bashed to hell, or salvage titles...

So I ended up with a 1990 with 112,000km (70,000mile) car, decent shape, hard top, soft top is good condition. There is some body work needed on the left rear. It probably needs a timing belt and such but hey, it was only $2500.

Some photos.. http://sb911.imgur.com/1990_miata#7OCoP

That was a fuckin' steal, nice work. Shouldn't be too terribly hard to get a new quarter for it.

EDIT: gently caress, you got a hard top too? That's even more of a deal than I thought!

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I figured I'll quote myself from where I posted this in another thread.

Step 1. Get a Miata.

Step 2. Strip the body from the drivetrain.

Step 3. Add some scaffolding.

Step 4. End up with two fat blokes and a fun looking machine.

The machine is a MEV Exocet. It an exoskeleton car that basically sits on top of the Miata drivetrain with not modifications to the suspension or subframes. It supposed to be the cheapest, easiest kit car to assemble to give you an Lotus 7 or Ariel Atom type car. Weight loss has been listed as over 300kgs to half the total vehicle weight, which wikipedia has as 980kg for the NA when it launched.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How much for the kit?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My god that is one ugly motherfucker at the wheel. Does look like a lot of fun, though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

How much for the kit?

From the MEV website: http://www.mevltd.co.uk/exocet_price.htm

quote:

BUILD THE MEV EXOCET FOR LESS THAN £2,000 including VAT

This includes the cost of an MX5 donor !
The MEV EXOCET is MX5 based with an enormously improved power to weight ratio. It takes only 2 hours to remove the body shell, leaving a rolling chassis. Over a million MX5’s have been sold since 1989, they have excellent dynamics and bullet proof reliability. You don’t see them in scrap yards so you can sell the parts you’re not going to use for more than it cost for the whole car! Opt for a 1.6 (120bhp), or 1.8 (131bhp). MK1, MK2 or 2.5. The best bargains are MOT failures in the autumn. Always lots on Ebay. The sale of the parts you don't need can make a massive difference to the cost of your Exocet. MX5 spares are always in high demand but sell for higher prices in the spring and summer and fetch more if they are removed, cleaned and have good photos.

The fully comprehensive kit includes; a fully bracketed chassis & integral roll bar, alloy floor panels, alloy transmission tunnel, front & rear bulkheads, side panels, grille mesh, 4 wing mounts, nut & bolt pack, roll of brake pipe, roll of edge trim, p clips, self tappers & rivets, GRP bonnet, rear cover, lower rear panel and wings, vinyl graphics set, colour choices: yellow, orange, black, white, red, light green, and mid blue.

MEV EXOCET - THE EASIEST KIT CAR IN THE WORLD TO BUILD

Fully comprehensive kit INCLUDING VAT @ 20% £2640.00
Plus MX5 donor, from £400 on Ebay, but say plus £450.00
Ebay spares, see summary here, sales reduce cost by say £1100

TOTAL INCLUDING VAT @ 20% £1990

I have no idea how much it would be to get a kit shipped over to the US but one guy already has in Georgia. He's posting a build thread
part 1: http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=exocet&action=display&thread=719
part 2:http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=exocet&action=display&thread=961

he says:

quote:

Shipping/importing - looks like this will be around £1200 including a case and packing. However, Stuart mentioned that the cost of shipping over two kits is almost identical to shipping one. If that is the case, I think those of us in the US should consider going in together and having the kits shipped in pairs. It sounds silly for us to waste the extra money on shipping when we could be putting that cash back into the build.

When we hear an update from Stuart on the status of the LHD kits, we should explore this option.

Read more: http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=exocet&action=display&thread=719#ixzz1LJGrOGEb

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I just bought my second Miata, a rusty white '91 with 156k and a hard top for $1500. I'm going to be using it for parts to rebuild my '90 Mariner Blue that I've owned since 2000. I probably paid too much for the parts car, but I'm hoping to recover most of the cost by selling the hard top and any other parts I don't need.

Anyone else part out a car before? Any sage wisdom to offer? I've got an ad on Craigslist that's generating some attention. Looking at eBay a lot of the used parts there seem to be going nowhere fast, with little bidding going on. I'm off to a good start, I got $125 for the hood within 10 hours of putting it up on Craigslist.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Its funny this post goes up but all the Exocet guys have to part out all the parts they don't use so if you go look at the various build threads they have going a lot of them will post their parting out advice and experience. From what I've gathered they say:

-clean up the part a little
-take good photos
-price a little below what the salvage yards ask
-include a buy it now option

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Was I right to loudly exclaim "gently caress off" upon viewing this or did something happen in miata world and NAs are now rare collectors items

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ279991264

I know 94 is a desirable year but 8 grand wtf

edit: horry poo poo!

I went on to looking at the rest of the listing for Halifax and they are all ridiculous. The least expensive NA is 6 grand something.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/f-miata-ca...SearchFormZtrue

Is this normal? Is it just Atlantic Canada?

PISS

Gay but Spooky fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 4, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's definitely on the high side, but a good condition 94-97 without a shitton of miles, especially a desirable trim package, tends to run 5-6k in my area, maybe a little more for an exceptionally clean/low miles specimen.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

NA Miatas are probably done bottoming out price wise, to be honest, judging by other stuff from the generation. FC's and FD's are rebounding in price pretty strongly lately, I've noticed. SW20s seem to have hit a crazy spike as well (lord knows why).

There's a lot of spergy dudes who think they will be a majorly collectible car in 20 years. I disagree mainly because no one really lusted after a miata in the 90s as a 16 year old or whatever...

This also seems like a pretty bad time to buy a NB. As soon as NCs start consistently going for less than $10k, people will (psychologically) flock towards them, and NBs will probably drop right down to NA prices (relative to their year/condition).

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 5, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hope so. NB's are the only Miata that I actually like the look of.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Coredump posted:

MEV Awesomesauce

Wow, that kit and build thread are fantastic. I was going to supercharge my $1k 95 Miata and drive the crap out of it, but maybe an MEV would be a fun alternative too :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

revmoo posted:

Hope so. NB's are the only Miata that I actually like the look of.

Me too, and thats why I dont expect NB's to ever just drop in price.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

Coredump posted:

Its funny this post goes up but all the Exocet guys have to part out all the parts they don't use so if you go look at the various build threads they have going a lot of them will post their parting out advice and experience. From what I've gathered they say:

-clean up the part a little
-take good photos
-price a little below what the salvage yards ask
-include a buy it now option

Thanks for that. I'll see how it goes with my tail lights.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I kind of want some door bars but I would feel pretty weird paying $300 for what's literally a bent tube welded onto some plates. I literally can't figure out why these cost more than $50. God I need to just learn how to weld.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The Amputee House posted:

I know 94 is a desirable year but 8 grand wtf

Why is the 94 desirable? I have one, so I'm just curious, because I thought i remembered reading this at some point but no one ever said why. I was checking miata prices for shits and giggles 'cos I bought my NA last august for $3680(yea guy was weird) with 107k miles on the clock, and I still see beat to poo poo NAs going for 3200-4000 in my area with like 160k+ miles :psyduck:

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Russian Bear posted:

Why is the 94 desirable? I have one, so I'm just curious, because I thought i remembered reading this at some point but no one ever said why. I was checking miata prices for shits and giggles 'cos I bought my NA last august for $3680(yea guy was weird) with 107k miles on the clock, and I still see beat to poo poo NAs going for 3200-4000 in my area with like 160k+ miles :psyduck:

1.8L, real oil pressure gauge and OBD1 so it's easier to turbo/supercharge.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
1.8, almost all of them have torsens, obd1, real oil pressure gauge, 8.8:1 compression.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Just finished my homemade hoist, am I crazy?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
depends on how much stud you found

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
shouldn't be a problem with that car :smug:

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Oh I assure you I found a nice, beefy, manly stud to screw into.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can someone with a NA post a picture of their trunk, specifically the area the battery is in, ideally with the trunk liner removed? All I can find with this detail are NB trunks and I know they're a little different.

My sister-in-law's '95M has a dead battery and is in Los Angeles. Her roommate hosed off for the day and the only service she can find to deliver wants to charge $125 plus the cost of the battery itself. So realistically she will end up finding a ride and/or cab to Autozone or OReilly or something, getting a battery, and getting a ride back to her car to swap it herself, and I will end up walking her through it.

Alternatively, is anyone near the Culver City area and bored? :v:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Sorry for the poo poo quality, it's dark in that corner of my garage. Make sure she takes note of which post is where, the positive goes on the left when looking in from the back of the car. Some batteries have it on the other side.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 10, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
$25 foamectimied seat if anyone needs one:
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/2373963520.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FatCow posted:

Sorry for the poo poo quality, it's dark in that corner of my garage. Make sure she takes note of which post is where, the positive goes on the left when looking in from the back of the car. Some batteries have it on the other side.

Thanks for the photos, I was able to walk her through it via text and these helped. Autozone selling her only a crescent wrench to do the job with didn't :psyduck:

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

mobn posted:

Since everyone says this is the case now, for goons only I will make it $800. Sadly I need any kind of money more than I need a hard top.

Mobn are you still selling this or has it already moved? I'm nearing my home date and I'm still in need of one. I'm not sure I'd be buying yet but we'll see.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I really like this car, even though it probably steers like a big ol' bag of poop.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
destructo postin''

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Vitamin Jonell posted:

destructo postin''

Man, even I think that car looks dumb, although the Trap finish panel is nice. I'm trying to decide between 225/45/15 RS3s @ $412 and wait, or get 205/50/15 Star Specs for $352 and get them now. Looks like I'd lose 0.3" in tread and 0.5" width per tire if I go with the Star Specs. I feel like since I have 15x8 wheels I ought to use RS3s, but the extra cost and treadwear makes me think twice.

destructo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 13, 2011

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
That car above looks clean, though I can't say I'm a fan of the whole sink the tires in the fenders look.

So I'm ready to buy a roll bar and I think I'm going to get the Boss Frog Clearview Standard. I found it unfinished for $423 here http://www.deftracing.com/miata_parts/miata_boss_frog_clearview_single_hoop_rollbar_standard_unpainted.htm and according to the vendor it'll fit Miatas from 90-05 and will fit under hard tops... the only downside seems to be complaints people have regarding seat belts sometimes don't retract, but there is an adapter if that gets to me.

Has anyone here ever repainted their own Miata? Mine was originally Montego Blue, but then at some point repainted to British Racing Green which has since gone to crap quite a bit. I'm thinking about either getting it resprayed or doing it myself...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

destructo posted:

Man, even I think that car looks dumb, although the Trap finish panel is nice. I'm trying to decide between 225/45/15 RS3s @ $412 and wait, or get 205/50/15 Star Specs for $352 and get them now. Looks like I'd lose 0.3" in tread and 0.5" width per tire if I go with the Star Specs. I feel like since I have 15x8 wheels I ought to use them, but the extra cost and treadwear makes me think twice.

RS3's. You won't regret it. They are fuckin' amazing. Almost as good as the old school Azenis

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Beach Bum posted:

RS3's. You won't regret it. They are fuckin' amazing. Almost as good as the old school Azenis

gently caress you. RT-615s are a god awful tire.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Dunno dawg. They seem to make a good budget sticky tire that isn't RS3 money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Falkens at work there, IIRC?

I've never had the RS3 but they are one of the hottest tickets out there for autocross. I loved my RS2s when they were new but unfortunately my drive is pretty much nothing but highway commuting, and when they harden up, they get LOUD.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Feces Starship posted:

Mobn are you still selling this or has it already moved? I'm nearing my home date and I'm still in need of one. I'm not sure I'd be buying yet but we'll see.

Still for sale, $800 just for you.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phone posted:

The pre 615K Azenis.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Beach Bum posted:

The pre 615K Azenis.

That would be the RT-615, you can tell because it doesn't have a 'K'.

e:
the 615Ks are more expensive than pretty much everything in Miata sizes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ziploc posted:

The RT-615 is dead and the only reason to get them last year was because it was the only summer tire in 14" and you could pick up a set for 240 shipped. The R-S3s are wider, stickier and cheaper than Star Specs, but you have to go up to 15s to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

The RT-615 is dead and the only reason to get them last year was because it was the only summer tire in 14" and you could pick up a set for 240 shipped. The R-S3s are wider, stickier and cheaper than Star Specs, but you have to go up to 15s to play.
Nope, $80 MIR on Star Specs right now.