Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Spuzzz posted:

I hated Xenosaga 2 but 3 was a lot of fun and they did a decent job of wrapping the story up. It's a shame they edited out the blood through because it makes a couple of scenes look really stupid.
I enjoyed Xenosaga a lot more once I got the undubs. The English VA was a little suspect at times and the undubs helped a lot. But yeah, that series isn't anything else other than what it advertises.

There's really a pretty decent shortage of sci-fi rpgs in general. Mass Effect, Star Ocean (meh), Xenogears/saga ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aratoeldar posted:

It depends on which restoration project you are talking about. The first restoration project being done by Team Gizka fell apart and Dashus took his ball and went home. The second restoration project by the Deadly Stream Team is done. Plus they also did a build of the M4-78 droid planet.

The DS restoration project nicely fleshes out the end of the game.

Anywhere where I can buy a digital copy online?

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
I got wasted the other night and ordered a few PS2 RPGs:

Dragon Quest VIII
Radiata Stories
Final Fantasy XII
Suikoden 3
Wild Arms 3
Dark Cloud
Rogue Galaxy

How'd I do?

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
good poo poo. I liked dark cloud 2 better than dark cloud personally. If you like suikoden 3 I think its generally accepted that 4 is skippable and 5 is pretty good. Dont bother with any of the wild arms after 3 if you an even make it through that one.

Im sure someone can offer choice opinions about ffXII but its honestly a solid game.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

PlasticPaddy posted:

Dragon Quest VIII
Radiata Stories
Final Fantasy XII
Suikoden 3
Wild Arms 3
Dark Cloud
Rogue Galaxy

How'd I do?

Not bad in my opinion. I think Dark Cloud is the best game in there though. I imagine you got them reasonably cheap so I think all of those games are certainly worth $10-20. Even if you end up only liking several of them those are all pretty long games so you'll be occupied for a while at least. Only one I've not played is WA3.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Rascyc posted:

There's really a pretty decent shortage of sci-fi rpgs in general. Mass Effect, Star Ocean (meh), Xenogears/saga ...

Don't forget KOTOR 1 and 2! People always forget that they're still sci-fi RPGs even if they're Star Wars. But yeah, after that it's pretty slim pickings.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Rogue Galaxy was a pretty good scifi RPG. SPACE PIRATES! :black101:

Phantasy Star Online is pretty scifi I think? Never played it myself.

Nadesico
Jun 15, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheOriginalEd posted:

Rogue Galaxy was a pretty good scifi RPG. SPACE PIRATES! :black101:

Yeah, I am playing through Rogue Galaxy right now and it's pretty cool. Rolling off Skies of Arcadia which was just great.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really did not enjoy Rogue Galaxy. That game always felt brutally hard for all the wrong reasons and I think I silently wished they had just cloned everything good about Dark Cloud while placing it in a sci-fi setting. That being said, the setting in Rogue Galaxy was actually quite good and it did have some baller music at times.

I think I had put about 15 hours into Rogue Galaxy before consistently getting trucked by monsters which made me feel like I'd have to grind to account for the uselessness of my allies.

PSO is basically a sci-fi co-op game. There's nothing really good passing for a story or characters and is mostly just generic sci-fi hack/slash.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone played Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky? It seems pretty interesting, and the battle style looks neat from the trailer.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Infinite Space was a pretty loving awesome Sci-Fi JRPG on the DS. I really hope they make a sequel. It needs one so bad.

Ragequit posted:

Has anyone played Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky? It seems pretty interesting, and the battle style looks neat from the trailer.

Playing it right now. 38 hours in. What do you wanna know?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Rascyc posted:

I really did not enjoy Rogue Galaxy. That game always felt brutally hard for all the wrong reasons and I think I silently wished they had just cloned everything good about Dark Cloud while placing it in a sci-fi setting. That being said, the setting in Rogue Galaxy was actually quite good and it did have some baller music at times.

I think I had put about 15 hours into Rogue Galaxy before consistently getting trucked by monsters which made me feel like I'd have to grind to account for the uselessness of my allies.

Most of the difficulty in Rogue Galaxy basically comes from the fact that enemies hit like trucks ALL the time unless you're really overleveled. But really once you get character's damage everything skills you can just cheese the gently caress out of every fight.

My main reason for not likeing Rogue Galaxy was the fact that a ton of the dungeons were just long as hell corridors with rooms copy and pasted together. During the two 40 or something floor dungeons that they "mixed up" by having the corridors go between the two different colored towers.

I did love me some Final Bug Tactics in that game though.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Black Stones posted:

Infinite Space was a pretty loving awesome Sci-Fi JRPG on the DS. I really hope they make a sequel. It needs one so bad.

Playing it right now. 38 hours in. What do you wanna know?

Hah, 38 hours in like it isn't a big deal. You getting pretty close to beating it with that many hours in? I was curious what other RPGs it might compare to, and what makes it unique amongst other games.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I gave up on rogue galaxy as soon as I got to where it wants you to synthesize items. I was not willing to put up with the grind+puzzle element, novel though it was.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ragequit posted:

Hah, 38 hours in like it isn't a big deal. You getting pretty close to beating it with that many hours in? I was curious what other RPGs it might compare to, and what makes it unique amongst other games.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm at the final dungeon. I know I'm on the final chapter at least. Edit: 38 hours isn't a big deal because I go through handheld games like a loving meth addict. But that's because I have a job where I get to play handheld games at work and put in about a good 3 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Hmmmm, other RPGs I might compare it too? Nothing really comes to mind off the top of my head. The graphics remind me of Ys: Oath in Felghana somewhat, but as far as the battle system itself is concerned, I can't make any comparisons as I can't think of any. But I haven't played every JRPG in existence either, so it certainly could share with some game.

Basically, this is how it goes. Enemies are visible on a field, if you walk into them head on, normal fight. You attack them from behind, sneak attack and all your party goes first with some extra turns usually thrown in. Hit from behind? Ambush and at that point even normal enemies can gently caress your poo poo up.

When in battles you get shown a turn list, and the cool thing is there's a lot to do that can affect it. This is important because there's bonuses that come in the order. Sometimes criticals, strength up, HP restores, MP up, CP up. Various stuff. But the thing is, monsters also get these bonuses as well if it lands on their turn. It makes things very challenging sometimes because if a monster lands a well timed critical attack, it can wreck your poo poo up.

Trails is the Sky isn't a AAA masterpiece. But it's a very solid game with a good story behind it, and lots to do, a lot of various quests that can eat up time, and a really good battle system that makes it worthwhile. It also has a very unique magic system that lets you customize your characters somewhat and change their stats a lot. For example, Fire magic is linked to attack up, which can raise your Attack stat +5% but will lower defence 5%. There's also great stuff like a magic piece that blocks your presence to enemies to make it a lot easier to get sneak attacks (I use it all the time).

If you simply want a good, well done JRPG to play, Trails in the Sky is definitely worth a shot. I really like it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PlasticPaddy posted:

Suikoden 3
Wild Arms 3

Wild ARMs 3 is my favorite entry in the series. It got things right without going too overboard with the poo poo that makes you feel ashamed to play it. Plus its optional bosses are actually, y'know, beatable.

Suikoden 3 is the third-weakest entry in the series. I don't say "third best" because it's not great by any means. However, it's not bad, either; kind of mediocre, but if you're expecting Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2, you're going to be disappointed. But that's been the case ever since that one main scenario designer left the series halfway through working on S3, which is probably why it's half bearable and half crap.

It was the first entry in the series to have unbearable battle loading. S1 and 2 had nearly-instantaneous transitions, no fancy poo poo, just a simple wipe transition, but S3 started in with all that ridiculous lead-in bullshit where the screen explodes and your characters run around retardedly for like twenty seconds. It also has pathing problems with its battle system and it's possible to get permanently stuck while your characters try to walk toward the enemies.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PlasticPaddy posted:

Radiata Stories
How'd I do?

this game owns bones. I wish I actually still had my PS2 and copy of this

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Trails in the Sky also harkens back to Working Designs/Lunar, in that people will always have something to say that is more than just the typical jRPG bullshit. NPCs will have new dialogue after just about every event, which really fleshes the world of the game out.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
Is Radiata Story really good? I have it and played like the first couple hours and felt it too generic to really get into. I really loved JRPGs growing up but it's hard for me to get into anymore. I guess I got disillusioned with generic plotlines and games. I still have fond memories of the genre but it's not the same as back in the day when I'd play basically any JRPG that I came across.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ice Blue posted:

Is Radiata Story really good? I have it and played like the first couple hours and felt it too generic to really get into. I really loved JRPGs growing up but it's hard for me to get into anymore. I guess I got disillusioned with generic plotlines and games. I still have fond memories of the genre but it's not the same as back in the day when I'd play basically any JRPG that I came across.

I really liked Radiata Stories because on my first day out on the town I kicked a garbage man twice and got my rear end kicked in a duel.

Kicking people to provoke them into fighting was a great feature. Aside from that it's pretty much a typical Tri-Ace JRPG.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
With the term "jrpg" being thrown around so much, I was wondering what goons thought of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gssb79txwu0&feature=related

In short, some guy(Roo) tries to define what jrpg means and this guy(jfreedan) flips his poo poo and calls him a racist among other things. I haven't played enough RPGs to know who is right or wrong, but I though it was kinda funny(and maybe sad) how passionate and angry the guy is over a simple term people use to describe a sub-genre of video game RPGs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Stuff about Legend of Heroes.

That sounds pretty great. I've been on the fence about buying it for a while, but after reading this I think I'll buy it as soon as the PSN network comes back up.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Cake Attack posted:

That sounds pretty great. I've been on the fence about buying it for a while, but after reading this I think I'll buy it as soon as the PSN network comes back up.

But it's an Xseed game so it has a loving awesome limited edition for $10 more. It's got a soundtrack, a poster and a real Bracer guild badge.

. . . Xseed always gets me with their damned limited editions, I am a terrible nerd. :(

Also, seriously, who the hell knows when the PSN store is coming back. I'm pretty sure it's not coming back at the same time as the online gaming services.

Nadesico
Jun 15, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PlasticPaddy posted:

With the term "jrpg" being thrown around so much, I was wondering what goons thought of this video:

Wow, I can't explain why I found that so entertaining, but maybe it has something to do with phrases like when Scientific theory are used in a nerd rant. I think I'll go play Lufia 2 now.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

PlasticPaddy posted:

I couldn't watch it all the way through because jfreedan is annoying to listen to. I don't think it's racist to call a JRPG a JRPG. I do think it's wrong to get mad at or about vidya games though.:orks:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I think Suikoden III is flawed in a lot of ways but ultimately worth playing. It's got a lot of charm and the developers had the balls to make major changes to a concept that had already had two games to flourish in. I think the problem a lot of people have with it (Including myself) is that it loses a lot of the flavor that made the first two really unique. It doesn't feature a very Chinese-inspired world (The locations are all more European-looking, Suikoden V gets back to the Asian influence though), it doesn't have the really fast and cool-looking battle system from the first two, the castle isn't quite as rife with cool things to find as the old ones (And is actually not a gigantic castle anymore but rather just a mansion) and it doesn't feature a plot that is overtly about a revolution.

What it does do is offer a genuinely interesting story where characters are constantly pitted against each other because of the inherent biases that come with their homelands, and the ability to see this story from each person's point of view, either all at once or alternating (I highly suggest you alternate). It also has a battle system that, while slower, is pretty unique and is cool in its own way because it has the opposing teams running around hitting each other and staying there like an actual battle. Area of effect magic requires more thought because of this. Also while it may have somewhat super-deformed character models and be a PS2 game, I remember finding the game's graphics pretty charming in their own way. It sure beats the hell out of Suikoden IV's graphics.

And of course if you haven't played Suikoden I or especially II this is all moot because you should play one of those first or you won't have much attachment to a lot of what happens in this game, and they're pretty cool unique RPGs.

Edit: That video made a lot of good points but if you look at his proposal for an alternative it becomes ridiculous fast. Not to mention people usually think of an overall design philosophy when they distinguish between Japanese and American styled RPGs, which is why Demon's Souls, while Japanese-made, is sometimes described as being somewhat Western in styling, whereas the iPhone RPG Ash is blatantly developed in the style of classic Japanese RPGs. Even though the two sub-genres come from the same place, to act like there aren't a lot of parallels to be drawn between popular Japanese RPGs and popular American RPGs is being intentionally dense. I'd agree that there are better terms that can be used, but the current ones aren't necessarily racist, anymore than calling Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo the start of Spaghetti Westerns is (And of course some will disagree about that).

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 6, 2011

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Nickoten posted:

Edit: That video made a lot of good points but if you look at his proposal for an alternative it becomes ridiculous fast. Not to mention people usually think of an overall design philosophy when they distinguish between Japanese and American styled RPGs, which is why Demon's Souls, while Japanese-made, is sometimes described as being somewhat Western in styling, whereas the iPhone RPG Ash is blatantly developed in the style of classic Japanese RPGs. Even though the two sub-genres come from the same place, to act like there aren't a lot of parallels to be drawn between popular Japanese RPGs and popular American RPGs is being intentionally dense. I'd agree that there are better terms that can be used, but the current ones aren't necessarily racist, anymore than calling Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo the start of Spaghetti Westerns is (And of course some will disagree about that).

What about his assertion that it's a myth that western RPGs are more open and non-linear than "jrpgs"? That's something I've heard so often I kind of assumed it was true.

Whack fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 6, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I started Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land back up and I'm finding it mildly disappointing that the warrior/spellcaster classes of the game (Samurai and Paladin) are closed off to evil characters. Now how is my jerk of a leader supposed to stab kobolds and set them ablaze afterwards?

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

That video is ridiculous. Terms are defined by how people use it, not by specific rules. JRPG as a term exists because there's a niche in language that it fills when describing a game. The fact that JRPG means something more specific than RPG is already evidence enough that the term serves a specific purpose.

The way I see it, you can't define JRPG across the board but rather have a few guidelines that fit the criteria. Not all games in the genre will fit all the criteria but if enough of them are met, it's a JRPG. The guy dissects why the definition is wrong based on examples of JRPGs that break the rules, but in the realm of video games especially, rules are meant to be broken. Before the 32-bit era, most people would consider platform games to be 2D sidescrolling adventures with a heavy emphasis on jumping. But once you're able to break the mold, you can still use the old descriptors to describe it.

The guy he's replying to is more enjoyable to listen to since he breaks it down without being condescending, but this jfreedan guy's video is all about his exasperated reactions to the other guy, which is neither entertaining nor funny.

The guy goes on to act like FF12's license board system and FF6's esper system as being more complex than any western RPG's leveling system. Seriously? What's complex about the esper system? How is FF6's leveling system more complex than Baldur's Gate 2 with poo poo like THAC0?

Anyways, the term JRPG and Western RPG are used because in spite of them having a common influence from a long time ago, they represent two distinct traditions of RPG style that don't generally influence each other in terms of general design. JRPGs are influenced by other JRPGs. Western RPGs are influenced by other Western JRPGs. There's not much overlap, hence why it's a separate genre.

Edit: After finishing the video, I think he makes some good points but he's more raging against the hate that Japanese RPGs get and how people categorize them all together when they can be pretty varied in design. I think he sees the term as too much of a pejorative when I see it as simply a descriptor. I don't think JRPG is a term that simply defines all RPGs that come from Japan. In fact I would argue that many RPGs not made in Japan are JRPGs. It's still a trend that you could see and feel when you play their games. And it's significantly different from RPGs from other schools of design, hence why I think it's not necessarily bad for the term to exist to describe something specific. But if people are going to group all RPGs from Japan as JRPGs, I can agree that it's pretty dumb. But he makes a good point that it makes more sense to define RPGs more based on the elements of their design. It makes more sense for example to call Terranigma or Secret of Mana Action RPGs rather than simply JRPGs.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 6, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

iastudent posted:

I started Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land back up and I'm finding it mildly disappointing that the warrior/spellcaster classes of the game (Samurai and Paladin) are closed off to evil characters. Now how is my jerk of a leader supposed to stab kobolds and set them ablaze afterwards?

I'm pretty sure there are items sold later in the game that let you adjust your alignment/class, so you can do some switching around to get those classes with an Evil alignment. I think they're sold on floor 5? Been a while so I don't remember for sure.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

iastudent posted:

Don't fight those groups of friendly monsters and eventually your alignment will naturally shift to good. Then you can change to those classes you want. After that, if you want start murdering friendly monsters and your alignment will change back to evil.

Oh and if by any chance you can read Japanese or manage an RPG in a game you can't read, you owe it to yourself to get yourself the sequel. It's much, much better than the first.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ice Blue posted:

The guy goes on to act like FF12's license board system and FF6's esper system as being more complex than any western RPG's leveling system. Seriously? What's complex about the esper system? How is FF6's leveling system more complex than Baldur's Gate 2 with poo poo like THAC0?

Well, to be completely even-handed, THAC0 is only complex because... well, it's a pain in the rear end concept. Had BG2 used normal AC rather than that awkward system that adds the artificial layer of "what," there really isn't a lot of customization going on aside from "do I want to level my Kensai to 9 or do I go all the way to 12 before multiclassing Wizard?"

I'll give you that a 3e engine has more customization and complexity than most JRPGs, but the only mechanical progression complexity to be found in the older 2e-base games was "reroll reroll reroll" and the hidden mechanics, the latter of which can be said of any game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 6, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

PlasticPaddy posted:

What about his assertion that it's a myth that western RPGs are more open and non-linear than "jrpgs"? That's something I've heard so often I kind of assumed it was true.

Western RPGs definitely aren't any more open and non-linear than JRPGs, and just look at stuff like Dragon Age or Mass Effect to prove it. Yes, you have the option to create your own character and state your preferred replies to things, but try as you might the only thing that actually changes is maybe a single line or two in the epilogue; the rest of the time, the plot keeps trucking regardless and the world at large doesn't really care about how your character acts or what you do in a given cutscene, as long as you get to that next objective marker to do the next blob of plot. Because of this disconnect, it also means that western RPG plots often don't tend to have that much personal impact - it's very hard to do an emotional scene for a character when that character might have cuddled every puppy they came across or might have punched every one of those bastard puppies into the ground.

Only a very few games have properly managed to do a decent job of branching paths and your choices mattering, with Alpha Protocol doing it best in recent memory alongside F:NV's brilliant endgame section.

I tend to split it as: JRPGs are usually games which define the characters for you and railroad their plot, but in return weave them more fully into the storyline. WRPGs are usually games where you're free to build your own character and personality, but you pay for that by being kind of extant from the rest of the world.

THAC0 was only really complex because it defied common sense to have to roll low numbers.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 6, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

Don't fight those groups of friendly monsters and eventually your alignment will naturally shift to good. Then you can change to those classes you want. After that, if you want start murdering friendly monsters and your alignment will change back to evil.

Oh and if by any chance you can read Japanese or manage an RPG in a game you can't read, you owe it to yourself to get yourself the sequel. It's much, much better than the first.

I didn't realize you'd keep classes even if you switched to an unsupported alignment but I'll have to try that.

I'll keep an eye out for that sequel as well. I'm just hoping this one keeps me busy until PSN gets back up and has Portrait of Lost Souls released for it.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Stelas posted:

Western RPGs definitely aren't any more open and non-linear than JRPGs, and just look at stuff like Dragon Age or Mass Effect to prove it. Yes, you have the option to create your own character and state your preferred replies to things, but try as you might the only thing that actually changes is maybe a single line or two in the epilogue; the rest of the time, the plot keeps trucking regardless and the world at large doesn't really care about how your character acts or what you do in a given cutscene, as long as you get to that next objective marker to do the next blob of plot. Because of this disconnect, it also means that western RPG plots often don't tend to have that much personal impact - it's very hard to do an emotional scene for a character when that character might have cuddled every puppy they came across or might have punched every one of those bastard puppies into the ground.

Only a very few games have properly managed to do a decent job of branching paths and your choices mattering, with Alpha Protocol doing it best in recent memory alongside F:NV's brilliant endgame section.

I tend to split it as: JRPGs are usually games which define the characters for you and railroad their plot, but in return weave them more fully into the storyline. WRPGs are usually games where you're free to build your own character and personality, but you pay for that by being kind of extant from the rest of the world.

THAC0 was only really complex because it defied common sense to have to roll low numbers.
This is definitely what I like about JRPGs more. There are exceptions like Crono, who wasn't really a character. Shepard was definitely more of a character than Crono, but a problem with the whole make your own character deal is it's hard to really put them in the story with a real background and opinions. Elderscrolls games are the biggest example of this. They use outlander instead of character name since you can choose the names. Mass Effect sidesteps this by using a common last name. It's a smart tactic but the problem is the illusion of choice often leads to weaker story telling. Yeah, the world might be richer in general but the plot itself is often weaker. But sometimes it leads to some great writing opportunities. For example, in most JRPGs I've played the non-important NPCs are generally pretty generic and you don't give two shits about them. Maybe they'll say one or two interesting lines. Whereas in Fallout, yeah there are some boring NPCs (a lot actually) but there tends to be more interesting ones with their own personalities and quirks. You tend to do quests for them and it builds the atmosphere a ton.

I don't know if this is too broad a generalization or not, though. Are there any JRPGs that has Fallout's level of NPC design?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I started playing RPG Maker again

time sink :ohdear:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cake Attack posted:

You should. It's a well done game. I should also mention. The battle system is unique in that battles are fought on a pretty big grid. You have the turn system like I mentioned, and when it's your characters turn, you have to actually be able to move up to the enemy. So you have a move stat as well (which can be altered by slapping some magic on it when you have the chance) and some characters have various ways around it. For example. Your two main that you'll normally be using, 1 uses a Staff that has a bit of reach to it so you don't have to be adjacent to them, while the other needs to be right up next to an enemy. Further in game you'll get characters that can use guns and obviously they don't need to move a whole lot, and then you can even affect their range so that they only ever need to move a step or 2 to launch an attack.

Also, I should point out. The very beginning of the game is a little bit boring plot wise as it's all setting stuff up and is showing you the ropes. But by the time you get to the end of the game pretty much everything your doing is main plot related and is very interesting. There as some cliche's that pop up during the story, but I never found them terrible. Just kinda "Oh, I've seen this done before" type stuff.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Stelas posted:

If you look at games that can actually be considered RPGs as opposed to "other genres who add in character building mechanics and call themselves RPGs" (Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect, Fallout 3/NV, etc...) then in generaly W-RPGs might not be all that non-linear and open but they do a lot to give the illusion of such compared to J-RPGs. The D&D games (from the Gold Box Series to Baldur's Gate and its spinoffs) are good examples of that.

There are quite a few examples of non-linear W-RPGs such as Elder Scrolls, Fallout 1/2, Neverwinter Nights (depending on your definition of linear), Spiderweb Software games, some of the Might & Magic series, Buck Rogers (alright, I'm getting a bit too old and rare...), etc... While they are an extremely rare in J-RPGs. Actually I can't think of any real non-linear J-RPGs off the top of my head except for maybe something like Saga Frontier if you consider that non-linear.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

PlasticPaddy posted:

You kind of have to look at the "face" of Japanese and Western RPGs. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Suikoden, Xenogears, all that poo poo didn't really have much in the way of choices. On the Western side we got The Elder Scrolls (Which I'd argue was for a while the face of Western RPGs), Fallout, Baldur's Gate, etc. around that time period. I'm sure there's lots of more linear Western RPGs out there (And of course going back to the '80s you get Western RPGs that inspired stuff like Etrian Odyssey now), but all you really have to do is ask someone to name an RPG made in America, and then name on made in Japan. You'll most likely get fairly open ended games listed on the American side and games with a greater focus on a very linear narrative on the Japanese side.

I mean I'm not going to go list Steambot Chronicles and Legend of Mana and use their non-linearity (Steambot is actually pretty linear plot-wise though) as evidence for people's perceptions of Japanese-made RPGs as being non-linear in general, because games like those are pretty rare.

Also I actually count plot changes as part being "open-ended" or "non-linear," too, though the words aren't very appropriate. I guess the better way to describe the difference is that in a Western RPG you usually have more choice in general, and that may apply either to gameplay scenarios and the order in which you experience the content, or in terms of role-playing opportunities. When a Western RPG is very linear it's usually because you have some control over the plot and your character's personality. In Japanese games with similar linearity, you don't see this a lot.

quote:

If you look at games that can actually be considered RPGs as opposed to "other genres who add in character building mechanics and call themselves RPGs" (Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect, Fallout 3/NV, etc...) then in generaly W-RPGs might not be all that non-linear and open but they do a lot to give the illusion of such compared to J-RPGs. The D&D games (from the Gold Box Series to Baldur's Gate and its spinoffs) are good examples of that.

Why shouldn't Mass Effect, Fallout 3, and Alpha Protocol be RPGs? At least in the case of Fallout 3 and Alpha Protocol you're going to fail at most things that your character doesn't have the skills for, and you have a lot of role-playing to do. I think that should be enough.

quote:

That video is ridiculous. Terms are defined by how people use it, not by specific rules. JRPG as a term exists because there's a niche in language that it fills when describing a game. The fact that JRPG means something more specific than RPG is already evidence enough that the term serves a specific purpose.

This is actually probably the best way to put it and I wish I had read this before saying what I did.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
idk why there's such a need to properly define what makes a game a jrpg or not anyway, you can pretty much tell at a glance if a game is a jrpg in almost all cases.