Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

That won't work. The stranger missions are only doable by John. If you don't do them before the switch, they're gone forever.

You sure? When I beat the game I had a handful of stranger missions left and could do them with Jack. The dialogue was even different.

The only stranger mission you can't do after you beat the game is the one with the strange high class guy who follows John around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Crappy Jack posted:

That won't work. The stranger missions are only doable by John. If you don't do them before the switch, they're gone forever.

I'm fairly certain this isn't true, at the very least you can finish missions you started as John, and I know for a fact that I missed getting 100% at first by never finding one of the strangers in Mexico, but was able to do it just fine after I started it as Jack.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Fuzz posted:

You mean just XBox, since PSN is still down. :smith:

I missed the "soon" in Rockstar's tweet, sorry

I was having a good time till a posse of TheTideRolls, Zaphanz and some other cocksuckers came in and took it over. gently caress 'em.

e: speaking of stranger missions, can I finish the one with the guy trying to build a plane on the edge of a cliff down in Mexico? The question mark isn't there anymore and gently caress going to Mexico to find out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, you can do all of them as Jack from start to finish if you missed them, except for that one specific one that everyone already knows about.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Triple XP going on right now on XBox & Playstation.

Is this still going on, or was it another stupid eat dinner and miss it affair?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Capn Beeb posted:

Is this still going on, or was it another stupid eat dinner and miss it affair?

I guess only 4-7 EST. Stupendous.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Am I right in thinking that you can't collect the mythical mounts in Undead Nightmare? As in, is there some way of keeping them 'stabled' so I can just pick which one I want to ride, or do I have to find tame them each time I feel like changing?

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

You get the deeds to the four of them after breaking them all and killing one of each type of undead with Death.

Snowcow fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 7, 2011

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Can I just sell my gathered stuff wherever, or should I sell it specific places or save any of it?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Black Griffon posted:

Can I just sell my gathered stuff wherever, or should I sell it specific places or save any of it?

If you've got high honor, sale it anywhere but Thieves' Landing. Conversely, if you've got low honor, sale it at Thieves' Landing.

And just to make one of the later Stranger missions easier, hold onto any feathers and Red Sage you gather, you'll be glad you did later. Or at least less annoyed.

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005
I recently beat the main quest, so, seeing as I had nothing better to do now as Jack, I put on my bandanna and head to Armadillo. I climb up on top of train station and begin sniping everyone in site, staying behind the sign as cover. After a few minutes everyone is dead and I hop down to collect ammo when I see someone coming out of a building, look at me, and then start running away. It's none other than Herbert Moon. As I get closer I can hear his screams, usually including his own name, as he begs for mercy. I lassoed him, dragged him around town, and eventually hog tied him and left him for dead in the wilderness some many miles away from town. This game is awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I'm buckling down to play this, as other things kept getting in the way. I get to the mission where I'm helping West with his olde tyme medicine show, and the guy wants me to shoot his hat. It tells me to push R3 for deadeye mode, and well, hitting R3 just makes me look behind me.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, you can do all of them as Jack from start to finish if you missed them, except for that one specific one that everyone already knows about.

Huh. Did not know that. I just may have to do an unspoiled "no sidequests until beating the game" playthrough, then.

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm buckling down to play this, as other things kept getting in the way. I get to the mission where I'm helping West with his olde tyme medicine show, and the guy wants me to shoot his hat. It tells me to push R3 for deadeye mode, and well, hitting R3 just makes me look behind me.

Well, you're probably going to want to have your gun out to shoot that hat, so it might help if you took your gun out, maybe?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

twistedmentat posted:

You have to be aiming with your weapon first to activate dead eye (L2 I think it is on PS3).

And so far, all of the stranger missions have been available 'post-game'. Jack seems to have a lot less patience with these idiots than his father did, and I don't blame him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, you're probably going to want to have your gun out to shoot that hat, so it might help if you took your gun out, maybe?

Duh, I have it out, and I'm aiming.

And the game instructions clearly state r3, which is the right hat button, correct?

EDIT: Some bug happened and I couldn't draw my gun, so I had to restart the quest, let me do it then.

Quick question about being chased by lawmen, how do you escape? Their horses seem to be way faster than mine, or at least have more stamina. I barely keep on the edge of the wanted circle, but my horse bucks me before i fully escape.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 10, 2011

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

It should just be that you have your gun out (Left trigger / L2), and while it is out you press R3 for Dead Eye mode.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
I just did the first West Dickens missions and shot the dude's hat in midair. However, for some reason the Doctor in Armadillo seems to have disappeared; his office is empty and its icon doesn't show up on the minimap.

Is this normal behaviour or a known bug? I don't think I ran the guy down by accident or anything.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes the shopkeepers can get scared off by random gunfire or even get killed by other NPC's. He should reappear eventually; give it a few in-game days max. Hell, one time I lassoed a dude and the whole town ran screaming.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Rhadamanthus posted:

I just did the first West Dickens missions and shot the dude's hat in midair. However, for some reason the Doctor in Armadillo seems to have disappeared; his office is empty and its icon doesn't show up on the minimap.

Is this normal behaviour or a known bug? I don't think I ran the guy down by accident or anything.

Sometimes the townspeople close up shop and go "sleep" and will come back in the morning hours. Or he was killed. As Philip said, he'll show up again eventually.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Or just busy elsewhere. Either wait or push them in the right direction. You may have to drag Herbert Moon from the saloon now and then.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
You know, this "Almost but not quite" 100% complete Undead Nightmare of mine has been without a semi-auto shotgun for months. Forums have been insisting they've found randomized events where they were given the semi-autio shotgun before the last level (I have everything, costumes, horses, etc, and have done everything except beat the last level. My other save has everything full 100%). Would I be hated too much for cheating the semi-auto into my inventory? :ohdear:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

Sometimes the shopkeepers can get scared off by random gunfire or even get killed by other NPC's. He should reappear eventually; give it a few in-game days max. Hell, one time I lassoed a dude and the whole town ran screaming.

Each time I hear "ITS HERBERT MOOOOOON!" I instinctively draw my pistol and kill the first person that comes near me. It usually scares off the other shopkeepers :shobon:

e: Sometimes the shopkeepers are in other parts of the store. I badger the Armadillo gunsmith as he's getting out of bed all the time.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So if you're like me and love video game music the ambient soundtrack for RDR is available to download. I'm not sure how kosher posting links are (since it's technically a game rip), but you can locate it by googling "red dead ambient music" and it's the last result on the first page, on the FFShrine forums. You will have to register to get the download link. If you go to the first page of that thread, there's links to the complete ambient score in .ogg format, and the Undead Nightmare ambient score in .mp3 format - you will have to register to see the links I think.

Alternately if it's not :filez: I'm happy to post the links directly. It's kind of a gray area since the music isn't commercially available and I'm sure if you wanted it enough you'd pay for it, and we all own the music in another format anyway... but I'd rather not risk a ban for it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Morter posted:

Would I be hated too much for cheating the semi-auto into my inventory? :ohdear:

Cheating in single player games is fun and often awesome, do it.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

So if you're like me and love video game music the ambient soundtrack for RDR is available to download. I'm not sure how kosher posting links are (since it's technically a game rip), but you can locate it by googling "red dead ambient music" and it's the last result on the first page, on the FFShrine forums. You will have to register to get the download link. If you go to the first page of that thread, there's links to the complete ambient score in .ogg format, and the Undead Nightmare ambient score in .mp3 format - you will have to register to see the links I think.

Alternately if it's not :filez: I'm happy to post the links directly. It's kind of a gray area since the music isn't commercially available and I'm sure if you wanted it enough you'd pay for it, and we all own the music in another format anyway... but I'd rather not risk a ban for it.

The soundtrack was one of the preorder bonuses, so I imagine it would qualify as :filez:.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ArchRanger posted:

The soundtrack was one of the preorder bonuses, so I imagine it would qualify as :filez:.

Well it's specifically the ambient music that's not on the soundtrack (and a couple of songs that are, but mixed as they are in the game rather than on the CD.)

But yeah... it's there if you look hard enough I guess.

On another note - I've finally dug into co-op and I'm not really sure why I didn't before because the missions are so loving fun, but is there something I'm missing about the River? I can tear through the whole mission without a scratch until I get to Nosalida, and then if we don't wipe (which is about 50% of the time) half of us end up dead and I have yet to get Gold on that mission, which is annoying. Any tips?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've hit upon a strange bug. I'm in the poker game with Ricket, and before the first cards are dealt, I manage to bust out two players because I kept upping the stakes on a nice hand. Ricket and some other guy busted out, and now the one mexican guy is just sitting there, looking around the table, and the skip to turn button doesn't work.

Am I just too good or something?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
:clint: When in doubt, shoot em in the face. He's probably cheatin :ese:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

It's supposed to be scripted so that 'Germany' thinks you're cheating on the third hand. It shouldn't matter if you win or lose the prior hands, but I guess Rockstar didn't account for any players busting before then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's something that's kind of weird, I fired the game up after not playing it since January and as soon as it finishes loading I get two avatar rewards unlocked. It gave me the Posse shirt and the Gentleman outfit.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Those were part of a community challenge that were unlocked a few months ago after so much global XP was reached by playing MP; everyone should have those now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For anyone who doesn't have it yet, Fry's has RDR for :20bux:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That must just have been on 360 right? I'm playing on ps3.

This game was no designed with sd tvs in mind. When I'm playing cards, I cannot see them very clearly.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Help me out: where can I find the sound or chime you hear when you complete a challenge or use a certain item like the map of Hennigan's stead? It isn't the discordant piano chord, it's almost like a bell of some sort. I can't get that drat sound out of my head and wonder if I could put it on my phone. Is it part of a song or just background noise?

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 14, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Philip J Fry posted:

Those were part of a community challenge that were unlocked a few months ago after so much global XP was reached by playing MP; everyone should have those now.

You need the original game to get it, right? I don't think my Undead Nightmare disc copy unlocked these either in multi or single player.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

crime fighting hog posted:

Help me out: where can I find the sound or chime you hear when you complete a challenge or use a certain item like the map of Hennigan's stead? It isn't the discordant piano chord, it's almost like a bell of some sort. I can't get that drat sound out of my head and wonder if I could put it on my phone. Is it part of a song or just background noise?

It's a churchbell followed by a little flurry. If you can't find it elsewhere I can upload it for you somewhere as .wav/.aif/.mp3 - isolated or with the little frill at the end. Will have a bit of ambient noise from the game too (birds mostly).

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Underflow posted:

It's a churchbell followed by a little flurry. If you can't find it elsewhere I can upload it for you somewhere as .wav/.aif/.mp3 - isolated or with the little frill at the end. Will have a bit of ambient noise from the game too (birds mostly).

That would be pretty snazzy if it's not too much trouble or considered :filez:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm playing undead nightmare and I'm having some problems polishing off the challenges.

I've got them all except Horseman of the Apocalypse. I had no trouble finding Pestilence in Tall Trees and War around Armadillo. I cannot, for the life of me, find Famine.

He's supposed to spawn anywhere in Mexico right? I haven't seen any "Mythical Creature has appeared" since I killed the Chupacabra. Is there any way to force him to spawn?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

crime fighting hog posted:

That would be pretty snazzy if it's not too much trouble or considered :filez:

It's just a soundbyte really. Sent you PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Snuffman posted:

He's supposed to spawn anywhere in Mexico right? I haven't seen any "Mythical Creature has appeared" since I killed the Chupacabra. Is there any way to force him to spawn?

I found him down below the rails behind Chuparosa. Last time I played I was having a hell of a time getting Death to spawn, so I rebooted on a whim and he showed up right away. Maybe that could help :shobon:

• Locked thread