Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
How does the gunplay compare to ME1? ME2 made the shooting aspect a lot more fun and shifted the game more away from the RPG aspect of the first game. AP always came off as an RPG focused game to me. It even says it on the cover that it's an RPG (which isn't common practice these days).

I read that you can beat the game without killing anyone directly. How does that work if you are forced to use guns as a core game mechanic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ice Blue posted:

How does the gunplay compare to ME1? ME2 made the shooting aspect a lot more fun and shifted the game more away from the RPG aspect of the first game. AP always came off as an RPG focused game to me. It even says it on the cover that it's an RPG (which isn't common practice these days).

I read that you can beat the game without killing anyone directly. How does that work if you are forced to use guns as a core game mechanic?
If you fight people with hand-to-hand combat (which is an actual skill you can progress in), you don't kill them - just incapacitate them. I'm virtually sure every battle can be handled this way (except maybe for one of the final boss fights). That's how I played my character at least.

As for the guns and shooting.. AP is quite the odd duck in that where you aim and shoot isn't what exactly happens. The RPG elements behind the scenes take into account stats of the weapon and the proficiencies of your character in how successful you are in making hits/doing damage. It can be a little annoying when you shoot at someone and it does nothing.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Ice Blue posted:

Bog-standard "you can't aim for poo poo until you spend some exp, scrub" mechanic, if you've played Deus Ex you'll be right at home. Each weapon type also has a particular ability you can activate: pistols stop time allowing you to chain up headshots, shotties can knock people on their rear end, ARs have an auto-lock feature and SMGs can activate John Woo mode (minus the doves).

It's entirely possible to beat the game using tranquilizers and non-lethal takedowns, though it can get pretty annoying in places and technically you do end up killing some unseen mooks due to collateral damage.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
That actually sounds pretty cool to me. I don't mind miss chance being put into RPGs so it doesn't bother me that it's built into the shooter mechanic. Is that the main complaint about gunplay or is there more to it? RPGs to me have always been less about twitch skill and more about stats, so it'd seem weird to me that you could make up for lack of stats by aiming better. It actually kinda bothered me in Fallout 3 and NV. Though most of the time, I'm more used to games where your stats made the reticule smaller, so miss chance was calculated that way rather than "you aimed right but can still miss".

Would the game have worked better if it had you select/target characters and hit commands (not having to aim and shoot manually)?

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 11, 2011

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Here's an LP of Nier, in case you want to know more about it
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382650

TheDarkId goes into great detail early on about the game and the way it could be played, and explains some...particular things about the developers (mainly, that they hate you.)

I haven't played it yet, but I think I'll buy it in the future, when I finish with the games I'm currently playing.

Let's keep talking about Suikoden then, shall we?
Maybe it's fanboyism or maybe it's resignation that we might not get another title, but I didn't found 3 to be THAT bad. It was different, yes, but it worked as a sequel to the early games. I liked it. Same with Tierkreis, though I played it thinking more like "this is a fun RPG" rather than "This is another Suikoden."

Has anyone played the Japanese only text adventure games? the ones that supposedly take place between 2 and 3?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I just want to say that I now hate this thread for introducing me to The RPG Fanatic. I've watched a bunch of his videos, and something about his manner (sneeringly obnoxious and elitist, while seemingly always on the verge of tears or a violent episode over videogames) just makes my blood boil, even on the occasions that he actually has a point worth bearing in mind.

Even more annoying is the knowledge that there's no point commenting on them because he screens comments.

Also did anyone else play Blaze and Blade on the PSone? Well, I say play, I mean just "own", because essentially it was retardedly hard unless you had a multitap (did anyone?) and could convince a bunch of friends to play an action RPG with you.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Vincent posted:

Maybe it's fanboyism or maybe it's resignation that we might not get another title, but I didn't found 3 to be THAT bad. It was different, yes, but it worked as a sequel to the early games. I liked it.

What is this "THAT bad" business? Don't give in to their bullying! The game is straight up good, you don't need to be ashamed to have enjoyed it. It got a 9.1 on Gamespot after all. It just doesn't appeal to everyone, and what game does? I love it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ChuckDHead posted:

Also did anyone else play Blaze and Blade on the PSone? Well, I say play, I mean just "own", because essentially it was retardedly hard unless you had a multitap (did anyone?) and could convince a bunch of friends to play an action RPG with you.

Can't say I've heard of it before and apparently even eBay hasn't either. There's one whole copy up for sale (japan version) when I checked just a bit ago.

Now I'm kind of intrigued about tracking down a copy, if only as an excuse to get my friends together and laugh at/stream what I guess is a bad co-op RPG.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Suikoden, huh? I've only played Tierkreis, and enjoyed the poo poo out of it :shobon: I don't care if it's a bad Suikoden game, it managed to keep my interest in it for over 30 hours. Too bad I never finished it, that last dungeon :argh:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So I followed my own advice and picked up Witcher:EE last night. I made it past the prologue and am into the first chapter. It's not what I was expecting at all, but I can see myself finishing it. poo poo, I've already gotten my :10bux:/2 of value out of it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Ice Blue posted:

That actually sounds pretty cool to me. I don't mind miss chance being put into RPGs so it doesn't bother me that it's built into the shooter mechanic. Is that the main complaint about gunplay or is there more to it?

The two complaints about AP's gunplay that I seem to see the most are:

1) You can't run-and-gun because moving expands the targeting reticle (running more than walking more than sneaking)

and

2) You can't hit poo poo until you put points into a weapon type (which IIRC makes the targeting reticle smaller, ups your damage, and unlocks special abilities)

When you account for AP being a spy game and not Duke Nukem, I don't see how either of those are a huge problem. I mean, it's really similar to how Deus Ex guns worked (minus the bullet time special stuff) and nobody claims that Deus Ex is a poo poo game because of its combat. :iiam:

Limorkil
Jan 4, 2011
I play RPGs almost exclusively, particularly if you use a fairly loose definition of "RPG". I mostly play mainstream stuff because I never have time to get beyond that to the other games. It would take too long to describe them all, and I have a hard time picking out the best, but here is my attempt to summarize the whole list, pointing out the most distinctive features of each one - good and bad. This is in vaguely chronological order (of play, not release):

Elder Scrolls 1 - Arena
Massive game world, with randomly generated maps and dungeons. A lot of fun at first but it gets very samey real quick. If you stick to the main quest then you will see everything there is to see, since all the other content is just randomization of the same stuff.

Elder Scrolls 2 - Daggerfall
In many ways the best Elder Scrolls game. The main quest is a model of how to do a main quest in a sandbox game. Huge map, tons of faction quests, reasonable combat, with none of the hand-holding Bethesda thought the series needed later on. Famous for stupidly massive randomly generated dungeons without a decent dungeon map/minimap.

Ultima VII - The Black Gate
Realistic NPC schedules are heavily made use of in an interesting whodunit quest. Very cool magic/alchemy system. Recruitable companions. Large open world where you can try to go anywhere.

Might & Magic VI - The Mandate of Heaven
Fight fight fight! Huge and interesting game world with tons of different enemies to fight in turn-based combat. Some memorable tough encounters. Gets too easy and tedious towards the end.

Might & Magic VII - For Blood & Honor
More of the same, only tougher because it is more free-roaming, so you run into really hard poo poo more often.

Baldur's Gate 1
Faithful D&D rendition. The story is linear but there is scope for wandering around. Famous for cool recruitable companions. Most people prefer Baldur's Gate 2 because low-level characters have limited abilities, but play BG1 because you can take your character from BG1 to BG2. Watcher's Keep (part of an expansion pack) is possibly the best dungeon slog in any RPG.

Baldur's Gate 2
More free-roaming and with better developed character banter. Introduced RPG companion romances. Much loved because of many tough set-piece encounters with D&D favorites like dragons and liches.

Icewind Dale
Baldur's Gate engine used to make a game that has similar combat but no distractions like story, dialogue, romances. Very underated. There is a sequel too but I never got to it.

Neverwinter Nights
"Sequel" to Baldur's Gate series turned out to be a huge letdown. The single player campaign is famous for being very long and very lame. There is a lot of fan-made stuff which is where the excitement is at for many. Personally, I had fun with the expansions packs and some fan mods, but overall this was nothing special.

Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind
Most people think this is the best ES game and they are probably right, except I absolutely hate the combat system. Most of the content is hand-placed, so you get that cool rpg feeling where you defeat opponents "too high level" for your character and obtain some cool loot. Also noted for a very innovative fantasy setting, lots of ingame lore, really small dungeons (see Daggerfall) and character animations that look like poo poo.

Wizardry 8
Hardcore first-person perspective turn-based combat, with an amazingly complex character system. This is a fight, fight, fight RPG, but the story is somewhat complex and there is a lot of blundering into tough encounters. Like many RPGs that have repetitive random enounters, I never did finish this.

Knights of the Old Republic
The only console (XBOX) game in my list. It has interesting locations and companions, but it is mainly good because it is Star Wars. The story is fun and the roleplaying focuses on whether you will be a good jedi or an evil sith (evil sith wins hands down, imo). One of the most memorable RPGs, provided you like Star Wars.

Spellforce 1 - The Order of the Dawn
This is a little known RPG/RTS hybrid. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I totally loved the hybrid combination because I could zoom right down to over-the-shoulder view and even play most of the RTS parts like an RPG. The campaign story is actually one of the best in any RPG.

Gothic 2
I never played the first one, or any other sequel. To be honest, this is an RPG where all indicators suggest I should love it, but I didn't. Two reasons: You get a fixed character who totally lacks personality and a very clunky control system.

Sacred
A Diablo clone. I didn't list Diablo 1 & 2 even though I played them to death. The big difference with Sacred, compared to Diable, is that it has the vast sandbox RPG map to explore at will, complete with towns and hidden locations. So it feels more like a RPG than Diablo. This game is good if you just wander about, the actual campaign is poo poo. My big issue with Sacred is that it is just too easy once you gain a few levels.

Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion
The RPG I have spent the most time on, and it really doesn't deserve it. Noted for being way over-hyped and vastly dumbed down from its predecessors, including an over-reliance on level-scaling, where every encounter and all loot is matched exactly to your character level. For me, the key draw is the fan mods that fix the hand-holding, without which the game would be just total shite. The Tolkeiny fantasy setting was the biggest letdown.

Spellforce 2 - Shadow Wars
A sequel that is more of the same but with better graphics and more of an RPG slant. For something that is a hybrid, this was one of the best RPG experiences. There's tons of interesting locations, lots of items, hidden locations, cool spells. You can play it as an RTS or you can have your characters wade in and have the satisfaction of 5 guys take down an army. Vastly more memorable than most RPGs. Play as a mage. Excellent expansion pack too.

Neverwinter Nights 2
Seen by most as a dissapointing sequel to a dissapointing original. Personally, I liked this one a lot better. The main quest was highly contrived but I really enjoyed it. There are recruitable companions and romances. The high point is the expansion pack, Mask of the Betrayer. By any standard, MotB is an amazing RPG and it's just a pity it is an expansion pack and not a stand-alone game in its own right. It features more imaginitive fantasy elements, less hand-holding, and some killer set-piece encounters.

Dungeon Siege
Barely an RPG, more like an on-the-rails Diablo-style game. I actually quite liked it until about 75% of the way through, and then I just wanted it to be over.

The Witcher
This is my favorite RPG. It has very entertaining dialogue and characters. Unlike almost every other RPG it has real choices and consequences. Unlike almost every other RPG it has shades of grey rather than good versus evil. It actually leaves you thinking, and different people interpret what happens in different ways. This is not accidental - it is deliberately ambiguous in many places. The Witcher also features what I believe is an almost ideal RPG quest journal, one that does not hold your hand but does not leave you in the dark.

Sacred 2
Another Diablo-like, with much better graphics than the original but more or less the same gameplay. Features an enormous map to explore, possibly the biggest since the Might & Magic games. Like the original, the only thing I do not like about this game is that it is just too easy.

Two Worlds
Styled somewhat on Oblivion, but with zero handholding and insanely tough combat at the beginning. Dialogue is so bad its good. There's so much loot in this game, and an interesting "craft" system where you can combine two identical items to make a slightly more powerful version. This is an ideal wander around killing and looting "casual" rpg.

Dragon Age: Origins
I have mixed feelings about this one. It manages to be both great and a bit bland at the same time. Great: Characters, dialogue, combat, the way your actions change events. Bland: level design, some long tedious dungeons, filler encounters. Stupid: Hats. Overall it is an epic tale spoiled by tedious filler. I didn't like it enough to get the expansion pack or the sequel.

Torchlight
A diablo clone. It's a really enjoyable game, although I would barely call it a RPG. Makes for a good casual game.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl
An FPS game that manages to be more RPGy than many RPGs. It features my favorite elements of a good RPG: Interesting story, cool locations, atmosphere, hidden loot. Notable for having a trick ending: if you pay attention then you can figure out the plot, but if you don't you get a "false" ending that explains nothing (essentially, you fall for the enemy's trick). The story and locations are way more cool than most RPGs. Also has a sequel, Call of Pripyat, which is a sandbox FPS with better gameplay but lacking the cool story.

Drakensang - The Dark Eye
Fairly recent, vastly underated old school rpg. I absolutely love it. This is how "old-school" it is: when your character loots something she actually bends down and inspects the corpse! gently caress, even old-school rpgs did not do that. Implements the (complex) German pen-and-paper RPG system, The Dark Eye. It makes for excellent character classes and development, but means you should take some time to understand the underlying game rules to get the most out of the game. Warning: This is a very "slow" RPG by modern standards. Not for the impatient!

And The Future ...
There are some games on this list that I never finished and I want to return to. There are also some old games I never played but want to. There are also new games coming out. There are also some popular RPGs that I just can't be bothered with, for one reason or another.

Stuff I need to finish:
- Elder Scrolls 1 - Arena
- Two Worlds
- Sacred 2

Stuff I want to replay:
- Baldur's Gate 2 (likely)
- Icewind Dale 1&2 (maybe)
- Wizardry 8 (maybe)
- Elder Scrolls 2 - Daggerfall (less likely)
- Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind (if I can be bothered to install all the mods)

Old games I missed:
- Planescape Torment (definitely)
- Fallout (maybe)

New/Newish games:
- Drakensang, The River of Time
- Dragon Knight Saga (#1 on my list)
- Two Worlds 2 (maybe)
- Skyrim (expecting disaster)
- The Witcher 2 (expecting bug fixes)

Very very limited interest in (so doubtful I will play them):
- Mass Effect 1&2
- Dragon Age 2 (very very)
- Fallout 3 (mostly New Vegas)

Overall, after playing all this poo poo I kind of know what I like, but it is rare for a game to deliver all of it:
- Atmosphere (this is way more important than the others)
- Large map to explore
- No handholding, level-balancing, railroading
- Combat system - doesn't matter as long as it's not half-assed, mindless/boring
- Lots of loot to find
- Over-the-shoulder third person
- Difficulty can be raised if too easy

Reading this thread I have some interest in a few RPGs I have not heard of, like Kings Bounty. If anyone knows of a RPG that meets some of the above criteria (notable atmosphere) then I would love to hear about it.

Lady Gaga
Sep 20, 2009

Limorkil posted:

Very very limited interest in (so doubtful I will play them):
- Mass Effect 1&2

Overall, after playing all this poo poo I kind of know what I like, but it is rare for a game to deliver all of it:
- Large map to explore
- Combat system - doesn't matter as long as it's not half-assed, mindless/boring
- Lots of loot to find
Mass Effect meets many of your criteria:
Atmosphere
Combat system
Over-the-shoulder
Difficulty

It is kinda lacking on loot and the game is linear, but since you liked Knights of the the old Republic, you will love Mass Effect. The universe they created for Mass Effect is pretty spectacular, the combat system is a ton of fun, and generally it is the model of a modern RPG done right.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ice Blue posted:

That actually sounds pretty cool to me. I don't mind miss chance being put into RPGs so it doesn't bother me that it's built into the shooter mechanic.

[...]

Would the game have worked better if it had you select/target characters and hit commands (not having to aim and shoot manually)?

I didn't really have a complaint with the gun-play in the regular levels; I just played it as a stealthy pistol marksman so I just crept around all invisible like and then bam, activated a skill so I could headshot everyone around me (not entirely unlike Splinter Cell: Conviction's Mark & Execute feature).

Unfortunately, the game was interspersed with retarded gun-fights that basically threw your play-style out the window since all of the bosses had tons of HP and (sometimes) rocket launchers that basically devolved these fights into giant slug-fests that were completely at odds with the rest of the game. I really really hated these and didn't understand why they were even in the loving game. My bad-rear end Thorton would never let himself get caught in a one-on-one fight with a loving rocket launcher, he'd sneak around and pop the dude in the head; so with the boss fights alone, I felt like my illusion of choice was shattered.

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to have a point and shoot interface, then your aim should be more-or-less twitch-based with skills improving damage, recoil, reload speed, etc.

Personally, I would have just preferred something KOTOR-like with standard RPG targetting and continuous turn-based combat.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Limorkil posted:

Reading this thread I have some interest in a few RPGs I have not heard of, like Kings Bounty. If anyone knows of a RPG that meets some of the above criteria (notable atmosphere) then I would love to hear about it.

You may enjoy Risen or Gothic 3, they would seem to satisfy your criteria and are quite well-regarded. If you're not dead-set on the 'over-the-shoulder' camera, I can definitely recommend Drakensang. I am playing River of Time right now and I will definitely be picking up The Dark Eye when I'm done; it's the closest thing to Baldur's Gate I've played in a long time (to include DA:O). Definitely, definitely, play Planescape: Torment; it's easily one of my favorite games ever made. Actually, I should probably replay it too.

Divinity 2: DKS is supposed to be really good and definitely meets your criteria so check that one out for sure.

You should check out the various threads for Risen, Divinity 2 (I think there's one) and Two Worlds 2, which I also think meets your criteria quite well.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Limorkil posted:

- Large map to explore
- Lots of loot to find

Stay away from DA2, it's like anathema to your requirements in an enjoyable RPG. Thanks for some of your recommendations though! Looks like I have a few games to look up. Edit: DKS is a great game, definitely worth checking out.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ChuckDHead posted:

Also did anyone else play Blaze and Blade on the PSone?

I don't even remember how it played, but it's sitting on my shelf of long-forgotten PS1 games.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

iastudent posted:

Can't say I've heard of it before and apparently even eBay hasn't either. There's one whole copy up for sale (japan version) when I checked just a bit ago.

Well now I'm wondering if I possess a rarity.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Is there a better way to play QFG 1 VGA than dos box? I've been getting all kind of weird rear end bugs using it.

Limorkil
Jan 4, 2011

Lady Gaga posted:

Mass Effect meets many of your criteria:
Atmosphere
Combat system
Over-the-shoulder
Difficulty

Hmm, okay, maybe I will take a look at that one. I think I saw it going dirt cheap too. Thanks.

bonds0097 posted:

You may enjoy Risen or Gothic 3, they would seem to satisfy your criteria and are quite well-regarded.

I have looked at both of those before, but Gothic 2 put me off the series (even though lots of people like it). If they have a modern user interface and not that weird keyboad poo poo then maybe I can handle it. I actually liked the sound of G3 except there were so many bugs - probably fixed by now.

bonds0097 posted:

If you're not dead-set on the 'over-the-shoulder' camera, I can definitely recommend Drakensang. I am playing River of Time right now and I will definitely be picking up The Dark Eye when I'm done; it's the closest thing to Baldur's Gate I've played in a long time (to include DA:O). Definitely, definitely, play Planescape: Torment; it's easily one of my favorite games ever made. Actually, I should probably replay it too.

Agree with all that. Drakensang TDE is third person, so near enough to OTS for me (not that OTS/3P is essential anyway). And it does remind me of Baldur's Gate more than any other game (except IWD, obviously). Certainly TDE is a lot more enjoyable than DA:O, even though (or maybe because) it does not have the dialogue/romances.

And PS:T. I know. I think that is the most well regarded RPG I never played.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ChuckDHead posted:

Well now I'm wondering if I possess a rarity.

That copy I mentioned earlier was only $18 with shipping. Maybe there's a rarity with the US version but I doubt its highly desirable.

Also it somehow got a PC port and looks exactly the same. :psyduck:

but thou must!
Apr 30, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

Divinity 2: DKS is supposed to be really good and definitely meets your criteria so check that one out for sure.

The first game, Divine Divinity, fits pretty drat well too. (Aside from over the shoulder, but going by his list he's enjoyed quite a few games in this perspective)

That one is a world RPG in a 2d isometric perspective. The combat gameplay is much like Diablo, but can be somewhat brutal in difficulty at times.

The first dungeon is long as hell, and can be tedious, though, and you need to beat it before the world opens up.

You can get it from gog.com

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

bonds0097 posted:

If Mass Effect 2's gameplay was as bad as AP's, I suspect it would not be so highly regarded.
Mass Effect 1 had awful shooting gameplay, far worse than Alpha Protocol, and it got a free pass by pretty much everyone.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

WarLocke posted:

The two complaints about AP's gunplay that I seem to see the most are:

1) You can't run-and-gun because moving expands the targeting reticle (running more than walking more than sneaking)

and

2) You can't hit poo poo until you put points into a weapon type (which IIRC makes the targeting reticle smaller, ups your damage, and unlocks special abilities)

When you account for AP being a spy game and not Duke Nukem, I don't see how either of those are a huge problem. I mean, it's really similar to how Deus Ex guns worked (minus the bullet time special stuff) and nobody claims that Deus Ex is a poo poo game because of its combat. :iiam:

The problem is that you're sometimes thrown into a situation where you have to kill a bunch of dudes who are coming at you from many angles, which means you can't rely on taking pot shots from cover, you have to be a little mobile. And since moving a little makes your shots horribly inaccurate even with a lot of points put into your gun (I maxed out pistol and still had to remain stationary to hit what I wanted to), that makes for really, REALLY frustrating scenarios sometimes, because you'll sometimes have to fight guys with shotguns who'll bob and weave while coming at you, and shooting when they get close. If you want to kill them or pretty much anyone you're going to have to stand your ground, which is dangerous because if you're a stealth character they can kill you in a couple hits.

Now that's just a couple scenarios so it's not a huge deal, but acting like the combat in Alpha Protocol is that good would be to give someone a very wrong perception of the game. I personally liked the game a lot, but it was mostly for the parts that bookend the action sequences. The shooter gameplay was fun sometimes, sure, but it was also really annoying sometimes, too. It's not the standout feature of the game by any means.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Coolio posted:

Is there a better way to play QFG 1 VGA than dos box? I've been getting all kind of weird rear end bugs using it.

The VGA version just has a lot of bugs. Like, whenever I'd enter the Centaur farmer's screen the colours would all invert.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nickoten posted:

The problem is that you're sometimes thrown into a situation where you have to kill a bunch of dudes who are coming at you from many angles, which means you can't rely on taking pot shots from cover, you have to be a little mobile. And since moving a little makes your shots horribly inaccurate even with a lot of points put into your gun (I maxed out pistol and still had to remain stationary to hit what I wanted to), that makes for really, REALLY frustrating scenarios sometimes, because you'll sometimes have to fight guys with shotguns who'll bob and weave while coming at you, and shooting when they get close. If you want to kill them or pretty much anyone you're going to have to stand your ground, which is dangerous because if you're a stealth character they can kill you in a couple hits.

Now that's just a couple scenarios so it's not a huge deal, but acting like the combat in Alpha Protocol is that good would be to give someone a very wrong perception of the game. I personally liked the game a lot, but it was mostly for the parts that bookend the action sequences. The shooter gameplay was fun sometimes, sure, but it was also really annoying sometimes, too. It's not the standout feature of the game by any means.

That's why you have the skills. Pistols allow you to slow time and line up three headshots, each a one hit kill after a couple points invested in the skill. Submachine guns also slow time and give you infinite ammo during that time dilation, run forward, tapping the trigger, kill entire rooms. Machine guns are almost as good as pistols. No time dilation but tapping that auto lock button and firing a few rounds will take out large groups in no time. The best has to be the shotguns, though. The shotgun special ability knocks down every target it hits allowing you to walk over and stomp on their heads before they get up. Even martial arts has Fury which slows time and pumps up your hand to hand damage. Couple any of the skills with the toughness skill that boosts your endurance or Epinephrine spikes that increase damage/damage resitance, toss a few grenades or shock traps and large groups are no problem.

Combat is more of a puzzle game than run and gun shooter, you need to make the best use of your various abilities.

EDIT: For reference, I'm doing a no-armor stealth playthrough right now. Tech/stealth/H2H are my tagged skills. If an alarm goes off, I just smash dudes in the face while wearing street clothes, it's all good. I don't even tag pistols because the first level of chain shot is pretty much all you need, especially when you have the Brilliance skill that automagically refreshes all your other skills.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 11, 2011

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

This is a strange question, but I'm guessing this is the thread for it:

Can anyone explain the plot of both Parasite Eves to me? I played a little of the first a long time ago, and was drawn in by the plot but I don't think I can go back to that era of console games. Also, the wikipedia summary of the plot is nonsensical. So can someone explain what the gently caress happened in those two games? I've always wanted to know, but don't care to suffer through the experience.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Limorkil posted:

Games you really ought to play:
Mass Effect, the first one, the second is good but is more of a linear corridor shooter than an RPG. The first is like Super KOTOR. Very atmospheric Speaking of which...
KOTOR 2. You said you only played the first. KOTOR 2 is very good and has a better storyline. You need to get the PC version and fanmade restoration patch, the base game has a lot of content cut.
Planescape: Torment, I know it's on your list but you need to play it.
Fallout series. 1 is classic and very atmospheric but clunky and hard to get into. 2 is probably the biggest and best, but the setting takes itself less seriously. 3 is literally Oblivion with guns. Like Oblivion, I spent a lot of time on this game, but it wasn't really worth it. New Vegas seems Oblivion-y, but it's really more about following a vaguely linear path through the towns and quests rather than exploring the wastelands. New Vegas is the best modern Fallout, especially if you like a creative story. Speaking of Oblivion..
Nehrim: At Fate's Edge. This is a total conversion mod for Oblivion. It's basically an entirely new RPG that uses the Gamebryo engine. You need Oblivion installed to play it, but it's absolutely nothing like Oblivion in any aspect other than the graphics and engine (which weren't Oblivion's strong points, but still). You can basically think of it as a first person Gothic 2. It plays almost exactly like a Gothic style RPG, with a small handcrafted world full of unique loot, NPCs, and dungeons. The dungeons are especially cool, they're peppered all over the map like in Oblivion but are actually interestingly built and have bosses guarding worthwhile loot at the end. Made by a team of Germans (so you know it's hardcore), it has German voice acting but English subtitles. Really cool game for a free one.
Risen is pretty much Gothic set on an island with pirates and poo poo. Great game. The controls aren't nearly as bad as Gothic but your character is pretty bland, though the world is full of life.
Dragon Knight Saga is Gothic but you can turn into a dragon. The setting's about as generic as it gets, but the game is really fun.
Avernum/Geneforge/Avadon These are series of games from Spiderweb Software, perhaps the last modern holdout of infinity-engine style RPGs. The games are all VERY oldschool. The battles are turn-based and on a grid, like Final Fantasy Tactics or a slower paced Baldur's Gate. The Avernum series is a remake of an older series called Exile, they're party based RPGs where you explore around inside a giant prison cave. The Geneforge games mostly about controlling a single PC in a vast creative sci-fi world. I haven't got far into Avadon yet but it seems like a faster paced and streamlined version of Avernum.

edit: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - the base game in NWN2 is poo poo but this expansion is great. Gameplay is the standard D&D turn-based stuff but the world, story, and characters are very interesting.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 11, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

OneTrueBru posted:

Bog-standard "you can't aim for poo poo until you spend some exp, scrub" mechanic

I like how so many people think this is the mechanic, and ignore the fact that if you wait, what, three goddamn seconds, if your crosshairs are on target, you will always have pinpoint accuracy.

The fancy poo poo is what you don't get unless you put points into a skill, like lining up shots from behind cover without putting yourself into any danger or LoS, or making your accuracy line up faster.

I mean, I actually found this mechanic to be pretty realistic and fun: if you shoot wildly and frantically from the hip in real life, of course you're gonna miss a lot. And that is basically what not lining up your shots is.

If you're really whiny, you'll probably say something like, "WELL THAT DOESN'T WORK WITH SMGS OR SHOTGUNS" and the fact is, accuracy isn't even what SMGs and shotguns are for. I'll give you that bosses can be a real bitch if you don't know what you're doing--I didn't know what Chain Shot was even for until I'd beaten Taipei and Rome on my first playthrough--but that alone is evidence that while those encounters can be difficult, Soonmot is right: those battles are definitely puzzles.

And yeah, if you're playing a largely stealth game, or a Recruit game, then all normal encounters become puzzles as well. It's like figuring out how to get past a group of enemies without raising an alarm, which would either spoil your stealth run, or make things extra-tough for your recruit with no stealth abilities and no real defenses against getting swarmed.

tl;dr: I mean seriously you sound like a dick who played it for an hour and returned the game, if anyone complains about "the accuracy" in Alpha Protocol, they either didn't pay attention, or are basically clinically retarded.

Astfgl posted:

This is a strange question, but I'm guessing this is the thread for it:

Can anyone explain the plot of both Parasite Eves to me? I played a little of the first a long time ago, and was drawn in by the plot but I don't think I can go back to that era of console games. Also, the wikipedia summary of the plot is nonsensical. So can someone explain what the gently caress happened in those two games? I've always wanted to know, but don't care to suffer through the experience.
No, Wikipedia is right. Parasite Eve is batshit. I only played the first one to be honest, and while the gameplay was actually pretty fun (for me at least, but then I also didn't mind Vagrant Story's engine, which was basically the same thing except with melee range instead of pistol range), yeah.

1) Mitochondria are parasites and not actually what you learned in biology class
2) An opera songstress, Eve, makes people explode into flames because her Mitochondria have helped her, uh, evolve or someshit
3) Except she doesn't make you burst into flames because your body has the potential to transcend with the Mitochondria rather than petty human DNA, which is why everyone else spontaneously combusts or melts into poo poo-goop
4) Eve goes on to turn everyone in Central Park into poo poo-goop
5) You climb a hospital and fight a blob of poo poo-goop
6) You run into the sewers to flood the water supply with anti-poo poo-goop med--actually, I dunno, this part is rather fuzzy
7) You go to the Museum of Natural History to confront Eve
8) Eve is I guess pregnant with Mitochondrias?
9) She runs to the Statue of Liberty and gives birth to the Ultimate Being
10) You go on a destroyer boat and chill out with your police bros
11) You fight the Ultimate Being on the boat
12) Except you can't actually kill it because it's the U.B. and it just chases you blind through the boat's corridors, and I think you blow the boat up?
13) Now everyone's eyes glow like the main character's because I guess they have instantly evolved to live in symbiosis with the Mitochondria again or something retarded like that
14) There's a bonus dungeon with the TRUE ENDING. I never bothered because it is a hundred floors long, and they all look the same and have the exact same layout except its walls are randomly generated to block you out from the elevator to the next floor.
15) Not even kidding about the batshit. Apparently it was based on a movie.
16) Oh there's also this scientist FROM JAPAN who wants to bang the main character

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 11, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Limorkil posted:

I play RPGs almost exclusively, particularly if you use a fairly loose definition of "RPG".

You have, for the most part, a really good taste of games my friend.

Limorkil
Jan 4, 2011

but thou must! posted:

The first game, Divine Divinity, fits pretty drat well too. (Aside from over the shoulder, but going by his list he's enjoyed quite a few games in this perspective)

That one is a world RPG in a 2d isometric perspective. The combat gameplay is much like Diablo, but can be somewhat brutal in difficulty at times.

The first dungeon is long as hell, and can be tedious, though, and you need to beat it before the world opens up.

You can get it from gog.com

I played Divine Divinity to a point just after the first dungeon. I really liked it. Problem was it did not run very well on my operating system of the time (poo poo, windows ME or something - long while ago). I still have the CDs. Hmm.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Games you really ought to play:
Mass Effect, the first one, the second is good but is more of a linear corridor shooter than an RPG. The first is like Super KOTOR. Very atmospheric Speaking of which...
KOTOR 2. You said you only played the first. KOTOR 2 is very good and has a better storyline. You need to get the PC version and fanmade restoration patch, the base game has a lot of content cut.

I never got Kotor 2 because I read about how hosed up it was at launch. Never realized people bothered to fix it. Ok, Sounds like a good option. Ditto ME.

Planescape: Torment
Fallout
Nehrim: At Fate's Edge
Risen
Dragon Knight Saga
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

All good suggestions, thanks. MotB I mentioned with NWN2. Really amazing game. There was so much whining about the hardcored-ness of it that it was hilarious. I give the developers 12 out of 10 for not giving a gently caress about what the mainstream want. gently caress "the mainstream" - last time I checked they were sitting on their porch eating a party-sized bag of Cheetos and complaining about "colored folk".

Avernum/Geneforge/Avadon These are series of games from Spiderweb Software, perhaps the last modern holdout of infinity-engine style RPGs.

I have Avernum 3 and although it seems really good I couldn't get into it. I am no graphics whore, but it was so basic looking I had a hard time taking it seriously. Seems like a decent game to play on an iphone on the train to work though.

No-one mentioned Vampire: Bloodlines and I totally forgot too. That is massively high on my "to play" list. It's another game that was released buggy, so I didn't get it, but then fans fixed it. (What we need is for some Bill Gates-like billionaire to set up a fund that goes around rewarding these fans who fix poo poo. gently caress African orphans - unless they are modders.)

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

15) Not even kidding about the batshit. Apparently it was based on a movie.

Actually it was a book--the movie was an adaption. Though I've never played the Parasite Eve games, I did read the novel in college around the time it first came out and honestly that plot sounds like it makes more sense than the book, which was about evil mitochondria taking over people's minds through donated organs.

Interesting tidbit of info is that the novel was in a lot of ways thinly veiled social commentary that HOLY poo poo ORGAN TRANSPLATION IS EVIL, as it came out right around the time that organ transplantation was finally legalized in Japan. (For those that weren't aware, due to enormous cultural biases organ donation is really really controversial in Japan--even since its legalization 15 years ago there have only been like 50-something approved transplants) Was that in the game too?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Amrosorma posted:

Does anyone have any ideas? I want to throw money at loot-driven games :(

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but try phantasy star portable, very loot-driven.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Arcanum is a pretty good game that I haven't seen anyone mention in a while. Steampunk Fallout.

Regarding Alpha Protocol, I went through it on Recruit with shotguns and assault rifles, without putting many points in either, and I only found combat to really be an issue on one of the bosses and maybe one time with regular enemies. Just keep your armor upgraded and you don't need to abuse Chain Shot or be super stealthy.

Lemur Crisis fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 11, 2011

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The stealth works fine. But even Chain Shot isn't enough sometimes in situations where you've got more than a few enemies coming at you, they're coming in waves, or they're coming at you in a way that you can't line them all up simultaneously with Chain Shot. I think this is the part you guys are ignoring - that when you're not being stealthy (And you're forced not to be sometimes), the aiming mechanic can be frustrating.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I dunno, I've played pretty much every build there is and I never ran into that problem. I think as long as you remember to use abilities and gadgets, you shouldn't ever be completely helpless. I mean, even without putting any points into sabotage, something like flashbang or incendiary grenade can incapacitate a lot of badguys, and they're surprisingly easy to aim and throw.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Actually it was a book--the movie was an adaption. Though I've never played the Parasite Eve games, I did read the novel in college around the time it first came out and honestly that plot sounds like it makes more sense than the book, which was about evil mitochondria taking over people's minds through donated organs.

Interesting tidbit of info is that the novel was in a lot of ways thinly veiled social commentary that HOLY poo poo ORGAN TRANSPLATION IS EVIL, as it came out right around the time that organ transplantation was finally legalized in Japan. (For those that weren't aware, due to enormous cultural biases organ donation is really really controversial in Japan--even since its legalization 15 years ago there have only been like 50-something approved transplants) Was that in the game too?

It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure there was an organ transplant involved in the game, between twin sisters. One of them was evil. I think it was an eye transplant?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vincent posted:

Maybe it's fanboyism or maybe it's resignation that we might not get another title, but I didn't found 3 to be THAT bad. It was different, yes, but it worked as a sequel to the early games. I liked it. Same with Tierkreis, though I played it thinking more like "this is a fun RPG" rather than "This is another Suikoden."

Has anyone played the Japanese only text adventure games? the ones that supposedly take place between 2 and 3?

Those are the gaiden series, the first one takes place around the same time as the second suikoden while the second one is after it but before the 3rd suikoden.

I need a main suikoden title really bad, the last console jRPGs haven't really engaged me that much. Hell, make it for a portable just follow the original series story.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yes, organ transplants were in the game. Aya had a sister, Maya, who died in an accident. One of Maya's corneas was transplanted to Aya, as one of her eyes was bad thanks to a genetic defect. One of Maya's kidneys was transplanted to a girl named Melissa Pearce. What doctors didn't know at the time was that Maya possessed evolved mitochondria.

In order to keep her kidney, Melissa had to take immune suppressents her entire life. This kept her body weak enough for the mitochondria to take over, turning her into the villain, Eve. Aya is able to resist Eve's power because she possesses the same mitochondrial power, but somehow retains control of herself (I forget exactly what kind of nonsense reasoning was involved; it's been a long time since I played the game, and I think it's all explained in EX Mode which I only finished once).

So yeah, an organ transplant was the source of the evil. Had Maya's evolved body been left intact after death, none of this would have ever happened. :rolleyes:

I've never played Parasite Eve 2 or The 3rd Birthday, though, so I dunno how the story changed after the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain Vittles posted:

Yes, organ transplants were in the game. Aya had a sister, Maya, who died in an accident. One of Maya's corneas was transplanted to Aya, as one of her eyes was bad thanks to a genetic defect. One of Maya's kidneys was transplanted to a girl named Melissa Pearce. What doctors didn't know at the time was that Maya possessed evolved mitochondria.

In order to keep her kidney, Melissa had to take immune suppressents her entire life. This kept her body weak enough for the mitochondria to take over, turning her into the villain, Eve. Aya is able to resist Eve's power because she possesses the same mitochondrial power, but somehow retains control of herself (I forget exactly what kind of nonsense reasoning was involved; it's been a long time since I played the game, and I think it's all explained in EX Mode which I only finished once).

So yeah, an organ transplant was the source of the evil. Had Maya's evolved body been left intact after death, none of this would have ever happened. :rolleyes:

I've never played Parasite Eve 2 or The 3rd Birthday, though, so I dunno how the story changed after the first game.

2 is the aftermath of a bunch of crazies building a compound in the middle of nowhere to test ways of "reintegrating humanity into the natural ecosystem" using even weirder mitochondria based poo poo than the first game. The 3rd Birthday is just dumb and no one should play it, the plot and characterization.