Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captain Vittles posted:

I've never played[...] The 3rd Birthday, though, so I dunno how the story changed after the first game.
People developed melting clothes to be worn specifically after the bio-apocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Limorkil posted:

rpg stuff

Good taste.
Some people have already suggested these, but here is my short list of "don't misses":
Fallout 2 - The first one is alright, but I played the second first so it has always seemed limited to me. Hardcore combat, choices that matter, and terrific atmosphere make for many satisfying playthroughs.
KOTOR 2 - I haven't played the restored content mod but it was great anyway. The story is way better than KOTOR.
Planescape: Torment - Great story and writing. After I beat it, I looked at a guide and found out I had missed literally half of the game.
V:TM Bloodlines - Clunky combat but great story, immersion, and acting.
Arcanum - Great story and music, I can't get it to work anymore so I only played through it once. It's buggy as hell- I got all the way to the end only to hit the level cap (40) and crash the game. I thought I had applied the correct patch to fix that but I guess not. If you can get it to work, it's fantastic.

Fallout 3 was enjoyable, I was very skeptical of the switch from an isometric rpg to a Bethesda game, but it's good in its own way. Let's gently caress Bro (lol) already said it: Oblivion with guns. Huge world to explore. The story is lacking, npcs are dull and the combat gets really easy toward the end (in the vanilla campaign, I never played any of the DLC). New Vegas seems pretty awesome so far, improving the number of choices you get to make and apparently having them actually matter. I'm probably only halfway through right now so it could still be a big letdown.
Mass Effect was okay. Dragon Knight Saga was pretty good- a little too much repetition in some parts, but has some great moments.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gaggins posted:

Good taste.
Some people have already suggested these, but here is my short list of "don't misses":
Fallout 2 - The first one is alright, but I played the second first so it has always seemed limited to me. Hardcore combat, choices that matter, and terrific atmosphere make for many satisfying playthroughs.
KOTOR 2 - I haven't played the restored content mod but it was great anyway. The story is way better than KOTOR.
Planescape: Torment - Great story and writing. After I beat it, I looked at a guide and found out I had missed literally half of the game.
V:TM Bloodlines - Clunky combat but great story, immersion, and acting.
Arcanum - Great story and music, I can't get it to work anymore so I only played through it once. It's buggy as hell- I got all the way to the end only to hit the level cap (40) and crash the game. I thought I had applied the correct patch to fix that but I guess not. If you can get it to work, it's fantastic.

Fallout 3 was enjoyable, I was very skeptical of the switch from an isometric rpg to a Bethesda game, but it's good in its own way. Let's gently caress Bro (lol) already said it: Oblivion with guns. Huge world to explore. The story is lacking, npcs are dull and the combat gets really easy toward the end (in the vanilla campaign, I never played any of the DLC). New Vegas seems pretty awesome so far, improving the number of choices you get to make and apparently having them actually matter. I'm probably only halfway through right now so it could still be a big letdown.
Mass Effect was okay. Dragon Knight Saga was pretty good- a little too much repetition in some parts, but has some great moments.

I cannot recommend Bloodlines enough. It is STILL installed on my computer. That haunted house level was seriously spooky and dripping with atmosphere.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Fallout 1 and 2, absolutely. These, along with BG and PS:T are the best RPG's I've ever played, bar none. You can get them dirt cheap at GOG too. I was very disappointed in FO3 to be honest.

One of the coolest things about Fallout was how at the end, the narrator would show you the consequences of your actions via cut-scene, which I thought was pretty awesome at the time because no game I'd played before had bothered to show me the aftermath (rather than just the final boss battle). Also, if you're a nerd, there are some awesome easter eggs in both games (FO2 in particular has the coolest easter egg ever that riffs off a very famous Star Trek TOS episode).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

2 is the aftermath of a bunch of crazies building a compound in the middle of nowhere to test ways of "reintegrating humanity into the natural ecosystem" using even weirder mitochondria based poo poo than the first game. The 3rd Birthday is just dumb and no one should play it, the plot and characterization.

PE2 is Resident Evil meets Jurassic Park meets the NRA. Douglas and his dog are the best characters in that game and you can take that opinion from my cold dead hands.

On a slight change of subject, dis astranagant, are you still planning on doing a Vagrant Story LP at some point? I remember you mentioning at some point that you can beat it while ignoring most of the grind.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

PE2 is Resident Evil meets Jurassic Park meets the NRA. Douglas and his dog are the best characters in that game and you can take that opinion from my cold dead hands.

On a slight change of subject, dis astranagant, are you still planning on doing a Vagrant Story LP at some point? I remember you mentioning at some point that you can beat it while ignoring most of the grind.

Life's getting a little crazy right now and I kinda stopped working on it the last time that other guy said he was going to. I think it's slipped into dueling procrastination at this point.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Well thanks for all the summaries of Parasite Eve! I now have even less desire to play the game!

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
We watched the movie once when we were bored at work. Its worse than you can imagine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN_VDIxzWhM#t=6m40s

The movie actually covers the first eve incident which is referenced in the first game. A japanese scientist tries to culture his dead girlfriends organs in an attempt to ressurect her from the dead, her mitochondria take over, etc and so forth.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Here is another random question:

Why do so many JRPGs seem to use French for their naming conventions? Like the Atelier series or this La Pucelle thing or Recettear. Is it just a translation thing, or is it part of the actual Japanese game?

Also, I've never played a JRPG in my life except for 30 minutes of FFIV which wasn't to my liking. So I don't know if this phenomenon is more or less widespread than I imagine it to be, but it seems to crop up a lot and I've always been curious about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Astfgl posted:

Why do so many JRPGs seem to use French for their naming conventions? Like the Atelier series or this La Pucelle thing or Recettear. Is it just a translation thing, or is it part of the actual Japanese game?

Also, I've never played a JRPG in my life except for 30 minutes of FFIV which wasn't to my liking. So I don't know if this phenomenon is more or less widespread than I imagine it to be, but it seems to crop up a lot and I've always been curious about it.
It's not really France so much as Europe in general. Some JRPGs use German, English, a couple use Russian, and some are some unholy mishmash. If I had to guess, it's due to wanting to keep the feeling of the game's world or setting being foreign.

EDIT: and yeah it's in the original Japanese game 99.9% of the time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hannibal Smith posted:

Mass Effect 1 had awful shooting gameplay, far worse than Alpha Protocol, and it got a free pass by pretty much everyone.

I'm replaying ME1 right now and I'm not sure how I put up with this poo poo back in 2008 or whatever. The combat in ME1 is embarassingly clunky. As janky as Alpha Protocol combat is, in a weird way, it's very upfront about being almost a total abstraction. It looks like poo poo but seeing the seams helps you recognize the systems at play. Mass Effect places an emphasis on action gamey immersion and that somehow makes the already bad combat incredibly frustrating and lame.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Astfgl posted:

Modern Japanese has a lot of french borrow-words. "Animé", for example.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
anime isn't french, it's just the english word animation but shortened

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Astfgl posted:

The japanese find us exotic I guess, and vice versa from my experience. France must look romantic from Japan. There is something like the Jerusalem syndrome in Paris.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

Wikipedia posted:

Japanese visitors are observed to be especially susceptible.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

cugel posted:

The japanese find us exotic I guess, and vice versa from my experience. France must look romantic from Japan. There is something like the Jerusalem syndrome in Paris.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

Essentially this, yes. Recettear was French because the developers let us know the setting was more or less explicitly set in Totally-Not-France (tons of French names etc), so we ran with it. Other games like the Atelier series are kind of a mishmash of stuff (although the early games were really obviously patterned after Baroque-Renaissance Austria) and the developers use it mostly because it seems exotic.

Sometimes deeper meaning can be read into it, but a lot of times it's just developers trying to make something seem Foreign And Exotic. Which can be a bit problematic when it comes time to export a game to people who'll spot the terminology inconsistencies more readily.

Anyway, I've been playing Trails in the Sky lately and just beat it; Robin played the Japanese version more or less in tandem. We both loved the hell out of it, and now Robin can go straight to SC which is supposed to be all kinds of amazing :argh: the wait is going to be absolutely killer for us. That ending is something else (and sort of makes it obvious that the two parts of Trails in the Sky were originally intended to be one game). If anyone likes JRPGs, or poo poo, RPGs in general, even a little bit, go out and buy that game. Buy it new, too, so that XSEED actually gets some money from it. I'd say buy it on PSN, but welp.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 13, 2011

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I was holding out for PSN Trails in the Sky, but I couldn't wait any longer last week and bought the UMD. I wanted PSN due to my fear of PSP load times, but that proved entirely unfounded.

It's a good game, and definitely inspires that "one more quest!" feeling in me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Wendell posted:

I wanted PSN due to my fear of PSP load times, but that proved entirely unfounded.

Yeah, I could have mentioned that I guess. The load times in this game are nothing at all.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, I could have mentioned that I guess. The load times in this game are nothing at all.

oh awesome, I'm definitely buying this than.

I'm on the last chapter of Radiant Historia, great game. The battles are awesome and strategic.
Besides Trails, I think the next game I might buy is FF4 complete. Does anyone know if saves from the original can be used in the After Years section? Or can I just skip the main game and go straight to the new content (I've already beaten it a few times).

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

casual poster posted:

oh awesome, I'm definitely buying this than.

I'm on the last chapter of Radiant Historia, great game. The battles are awesome and strategic.
Besides Trails, I think the next game I might buy is FF4 complete. Does anyone know if saves from the original can be used in the After Years section? Or can I just skip the main game and go straight to the new content (I've already beaten it a few times).

The Wii version obviously didn't use previous saves, and I can't see how they could put that into the game. Whole game would need rebalancing. Also, that is out? Holy crap why am I not buying it right now!

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
If anyone is a fan of old-school cRPGs (like the original Fallouts) then I strongly recommend you check out Arcanum on GoG. It's on deal at the moment for $4.19 which is almost nothing for a fantastic game.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Lurchibles posted:

If anyone is a fan of old-school cRPGs (like the original Fallouts) then I strongly recommend you check out Arcanum on GoG. It's on deal at the moment for $4.19 which is almost nothing for a fantastic game.

I've heard the game is a bit broken (not going to stop me from buying though, I think) in terms of some classes/races being useless and some bugs or something. Is this anything to even be worried about? Are there fan patches and poo poo around?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Fan patches and mods out the wazoo. Just google, or go to Terra Arcanum.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
FF4 Complete Collection does not pull saves from the original FF4 to Interlude or The After Years. Each game's save data is its own thing and they don't interact with each other. You do unlock artwork and stuff for completing the original FF4 though, so if you're interested in that, you'll want to play it again anyways. I would say to do it for the new graphics and things, but most of the enemies are re-used in The After Years anyways.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

glod posted:

FF4 Complete Collection does not pull saves from the original FF4 to Interlude or The After Years. Each game's save data is its own thing and they don't interact with each other. You do unlock artwork and stuff for completing the original FF4 though, so if you're interested in that, you'll want to play it again anyways. I would say to do it for the new graphics and things, but most of the enemies are re-used in The After Years anyways.

It was my first rpg (the DS version (I just got into them like 5 years ago)) so I may just play it for that reason. The story was great and the characters memorable.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
NISA had one of their press events today, announcing Atelier Totori (which was a no-brainer for them to release, it was just a question of when) and Cladun 2. Cladun was a fun little roguelike dungeon crawler, if a bit tough at times. At only $20 I'd say to give the first Cladun a shot, but it's PSN only and...yeah. They're also releasing a Bleach game, which got some of their fanboys a bit miffed that their precious company is releasing such a mainstream title.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
Out of curiosity, did anyone here play The Last Remnant on PC?

It's a pretty good game when it's not on the 360. Fairly long, tons of sidequests, interesting battle system, fairly difficult if a bit uneven (one of the first boss fights is basically a toss-up as to whether or not he kills you before you can heal or not), and it's on sale a lot. I picked it up for $10 in the Steam holiday sale, and I'm playing through it for the third time at this point.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

amaranthine posted:

The Last Remnant

I borrowed it from a friend for 360 and really liked it but never got to finish it so I'm waiting for it to go on sale on Steam. How is the PC version different, by the way?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Lurchibles posted:

All OVER this! Thanks for the heads up. Once you get past the strange control scheme this game is one of the best ever.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

glod posted:

I borrowed it from a friend for 360 and really liked it but never got to finish it so I'm waiting for it to go on sale on Steam. How is the PC version different, by the way?

They fixed everything. Infinitely better loading times, crisper graphics, the leader limit is removed so you can just use all your named characters with no problems, save anywhere, mission DLCs all included, and they fixed the stat system so that you can't permanently gently caress yourself and can much easier just play through the game how you like. The two versions are night and day.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

Stelas posted:

They fixed everything. Infinitely better loading times, crisper graphics, the leader limit is removed so you can just use all your named characters with no problems, save anywhere, mission DLCs all included, and they fixed the stat system so that you can't permanently gently caress yourself and can much easier just play through the game how you like. The two versions are night and day.

Oh wow, no kidding! And here the only difference I was aware of was the ability to tell your units not to use certain skills. Now I'm just more excited to play it again.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I would like to thank you guys for putting Divinity 2 on my radar. It is a lot of fun, with just enough customisation (could be more though, although the creature is an awesome extra) and roleplay. The story seems to be kind of meh but okay so far (level 13 now, didn't play the first game) but it doesn't need to be better. It's a good intro that really explains the whole 'hero'-role you're in, and although some things are a bit illogical that's easily excused.

Fun-wise it's definitely one of the better RPGs I've played, so thanks again. :)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Taeke posted:

I would like to thank you guys for putting Divinity 2 on my radar. It is a lot of fun, with just enough customisation (could be more though, although the creature is an awesome extra) and roleplay. The story seems to be kind of meh but okay so far (level 13 now, didn't play the first game) but it doesn't need to be better. It's a good intro that really explains the whole 'hero'-role you're in, and although some things are a bit illogical that's easily excused.

Fun-wise it's definitely one of the better RPGs I've played, so thanks again. :)

It's also got some hilarious references scattered here and there. First I noticed was one of the drunken guards in the first town with whom you could claim to be Merlin the Happy Pig.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stelas posted:

No kidding? I thought it was just a straight port, now I might have to look into it, despite having beat it on the 360.

Being able to have a team of all named characters is more than enough to make me replay. I don't have a PC controller, however, so I have to ask: Are the keyboard bindings good or will I have to get my hands on a controller?

Edit: Also, the save-anywhere thing isn't exclusive to the PC version. TLR is one of those rare games that does allow you to save anywhere, which is actually quite capable of loving you over.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

No kidding? I thought it was just a straight port, now I might have to look into it, despite having beat it on the 360.

Being able to have a team of all named characters is more than enough to make me replay. I don't have a PC controller, however, so I have to ask: Are the keyboard bindings good or will I have to get my hands on a controller?

Edit: Also, the save-anywhere thing isn't exclusive to the PC version. TLR is one of those rare games that does allow you to save anywhere, which is actually quite capable of loving you over.

Keyboard bindings are pretty good, and I believe you can remap them to whatever you want.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

amaranthine posted:

Keyboard bindings are pretty good, and I believe you can remap them to whatever you want.

Yep, I played through entirely on keyboard and it was just fine.

My bad about the saving issue, I just remember being a lot more ready to quicksave on the PC if I thought I was going to be in trouble.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stelas posted:

Yep, I played through entirely on keyboard and it was just fine.

My bad about the saving issue, I just remember being a lot more ready to quicksave on the PC if I thought I was going to be in trouble.

Well, cool. Guess I'll look into grabbing the PC version sometime soon. Maybe I'll try a magic-centric Rush this time.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I've never played the 360 version of Last Remnant, but I bought the PC DVD version (basically a disc Steam install), and I didn't notice anything quick about the load times. Some of the combat and cutscene load times were absurdly long, like 30+ seconds. Some scenes were faster, and after some config tweaking they became somewhat tolerable.

That's just my experience though. 3 GHz Core 2 Duo, 8800 GTS 512, SSD.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

softcorps posted:

I've never played the 360 version of Last Remnant, but I bought the PC DVD version (basically a disc Steam install), and I didn't notice anything quick about the load times. Some of the combat and cutscene load times were absurdly long, like 30+ seconds. Some scenes were faster, and after some config tweaking they became somewhat tolerable.

That's just my experience though. 3 GHz Core 2 Duo, 8800 GTS 512, SSD.

I had almost the opposite experience, I find myself often wondering "why do they even have load screens?"

(i5-750, gtx 460, terribly fragmented raptor :smugdog:)

Now that I think about it, though, I do think the load times were quite a bit longer on my old machine, which was a somewhat comparable c2d and an 8800gtx.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can also swap a flag in the Last Remanent ini file on the PC to control all the inventories for all your party members.

In addition, you can download a trainer and set the arbitrary limit on your army at the beginning to the normal limit (5 squads of 5, or 25 people total, iirc) so you can field all the people you recruit as soon as possible. Just avoid army units if you do this, or you'll be swamped with generic army units heh.

Finally, if it wasn't mentioned, the PC version adds a turbo button to speed up fights (you may want to enable auto-QTE if you do though, or whatever that option is). Really saves a ton of time through a playthrough.

I had zero load times on a pretty typical c2d gaming machine. Not sure why the poster above was getting 30 second load times to be honest - strange indeed.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh man I had forgotten about the fast forward button. You could even ask the game to just do all the QTE events for you. It made grinding effortless.