Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

2508084 posted:

That first quote in your post isn't me. My adderall is about $30 for the generic. I've also been out for a week and don't have $30 till Wednesday. I'll probably stick to cash pay for it until it gets prohibitively expensive. And it always does. I always feel like such a criminal. They're nice until they look in my file :smith:

What's in your file, if you don't mind me asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

TheGopher posted:

What's in your file, if you don't mind me asking?

Dunno. A bunch of bullshit they felt like putting in there . See my posts in the e/n mental health megathread for all that.

taylor
Nov 21, 2004

Kylra posted:

Ritalin/methylphenidate has been used far longer than the amphetamines (of which Adderall was the first) so you're technically incorrect. I found a few sources that say Adderall (amphetamine) was only FDA approved in 2001 vs Ritalin in 1955.

Maybe that's so, but the FDA's history here is beside the point. The American Medical Association approved amphetamine salts tablets (Benzedrine/Adderall) for treating minimal brain dysfunction (aka ADHD) in 1937 (by prescription only). This is two decades before methylphenidate (Ritalin) would be used for treating ADHD, even before it was first synthesized.

edit: Not that amphetamines weren't banned for awhile and only re-approved (this time via the FDA) long after ritalin was. This of course explains why some doctors are all weird about it -- they got their degree before 2001 or so and probably aren't keeping up.

taylor fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 14, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzedrine

and also I'm certain that adderall was approved before 2001 because I was on it in like 1997. (wikipedia says the brand name adderall was approved in 1996, but I know that dexedrine was available long before that because my uncle was on it in high school.)

edit

I'm also almost positive that while maybe racemic amphetamine salts (benzedrine/adderall) may have been banned for a time, dextroamphetamine has always been available for ADHD (formerly known as minimal brain dysfunction) since at least the 50s.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 14, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Actually theres no reason to move the thread or start a new one aside from someone wanting to re-write the OP.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Ok, I know I posted something like this yesterday, or the day before, or Monday... or sometime. I really don't know without going back to look because I live my life in a haze of timelessness where everything not within 3 days forward or backward only exist as events that aren't "right now". But anyway. I'm going to post this here since I don't have anyone else to really talk to about this stuff to that might understand.

I pretty much feel like crying with joy right now because some stupid little paperwork thing that took 5 minutes but was getting in the way of something super ultra important (to the point where I'd probably feel a little suicidally depressed again if it didn't happen) in the long term and seemed "utterly impossible" to do yesterday I just now did today because I "remembered" to take my meds.

I need (it's weird how that turns from should to need mentally with meds) to do some website design stuff because I've been not doing it for the last month, but if I have time after that I'll see about finishing that op.

Fake edit: Do we have better words yet for when you don't do something not because you have forgotten, but because you aren't "remembering hard enough right now", for lack of a better phrase. It's fairly incorrect for me to say I have "forgotten" something when it's usually not that I have forgotten in the traditional sense of longer term memory (where it's usually just fine at) but that it just doesn't stay in mind at the proper times.

TheBigBad posted:

Actually theres no reason to move the thread or start a new one aside from someone wanting to re-write the OP.

I said I was going to try to write a new one up and that's why we're discussing it. It's partially done. The biggest part left that I need to do for sure is the treatment section.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 15, 2011

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Kylra posted:

Do we have better words yet for when you don't do something not because you have forgotten, but because you aren't "remembering hard enough right now", for lack of a better phrase. It's fairly incorrect for me to say I have "forgotten" something when it's usually not that I have forgotten in the traditional sense of longer term memory (where it's usually just fine at) but that it just doesn't stay in mind at the proper times.

Aprioritising? That's how it feels to me when I'm screaming "ATTACH MEANING TO THESE EVENTS YOU poo poo!!" to my own brain.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

strange posted:

Aprioritising? That's how it feels to me when I'm screaming "ATTACH MEANING TO THESE EVENTS YOU poo poo!!" to my own brain.

Except, in my case at least, I still rationally know I should be doing these other things because rationally I know they are more important, and why I should be doing those, then I don't actually do them. So it's not like I'm NOT correctly prioritizing them on any level, nor am I just operating without any form of priority. I just don't actually follow that "artificial" or "what would be really good long term" prioritization.

I know I need to get A, B and C done so I don't have problems at work, but then I go do F, X and M instead (which while they may be work related are less important to do right then overall) while interspersing thoughts of how really should be doing A, B and C occasionally before it slips away each time for no real reason.

I need to go pick up my paycheck. Ok I'll have to get my keys so I can go drive there and I wonder if anyone's posted an update to that thread I was reading yesterday. Yep, there is a new one and an interesting post about -oh right I need to go get my payche-hey this game thread looks pretty interesting.

Note: I thankfully actually have autodeposit or I'd probably never get any of them deposited, like this check I have had sitting next to me for some number of weeks I've lost count of (probably 2-4) from someone repaying me for some money I loaned them. Now I even have to have an extra step of making sure I'm not going to overdraw their account if I deposit it than when I first got it.

Electronic bill payments have pretty much saved my life.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

So I know I was mentioned a couple pages back regarding this thread being here or in TGD but I did want to say that I'm glad it's here - my husband was the one to point it out to me, and in the couple weeks that I've been trying to read parts of it, it's been just an enormous, huge help in discovering things about myself. And I wouldn't have found it if it was in TGD.

So this is my third day on Strattera and I'm definitely noticing some mild side effects - I've been sweating more like I did on Lexapro, and I was a bit of a zombie yesterday. Definitely some dry mouth.

It's definitely too early to know whether it's helping me (my doctor has me on the ramping-up sample pack), but I'm trying to actively identify things that I do that hold me back, that negatively affect my life, and work with that. And as I said, reading things in this read have really been giving me :aaaaa: moments and I'm eternally grateful.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

General question for the thread. How do you handle dates?

I can't ever seem to keep number dates useful. I always try to remember any dates like "3 Fridays from now" instead of "June 3". I'll never remember June 3, but I will often have more luck with the former "# of <day of week name>s from <some other date recursively or now>".

This can get a bit wacky with chains of dates if I ever have to convert to a number to tell someone a date, like if I have a chain of things that must be done on certain days that are weeks apart it ends up:

Event A
2 Mondays from now

Event B (requires A)
The Friday after 2 Mondays from now

Event C (Requires B)
Two Wednesdays after the Friday after 2 Mondays from now

For some reason I still remember when Event C is better this way for the purposes of actually showing up than trying to remember "June 15th".

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Android phone & google calendar or I never get to anything. Then again I can barely remember what month it is.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

2508084 posted:

Android phone & google calendar or I never get to anything. Then again I can barely remember what month it is.

Ditto. My default email reminders for a new appointment are delivered:

1 day before
12 hours before
2 hours before
1 hour before
30 minutes before
10 minutes before

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
This post doesn't exist. Or I made a mistake.

Wartime Consigliere fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 19, 2011

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Kylra posted:

Even without insurance, isn't a 30 day supply of generic amphetamine something close to $25? Worst case at least it's not insulin...

For me being unemployed and with no health insurance it's about $40-45. It's goddamned well worth it though. And that's for 30mg tabs, so maybe it's less for less.

I am going to ramble about some of the topics from the last ~100 posts and maybe that's unnecessary but I already typed it so you're getting the option of reading it:

This thread belongs in Ask/Tell because we are all asking and telling here. We're not talking strictly about medications or physical problems. I would never have found this thread and might not be diagnosed without this thread being in Ask/Tell.

My wife and I are really enjoying our walks, they keep getting longer and longer. Sometimes we go 5 miles or more. Most nights probably just 1-2 miles. Before when we'd sporadically decide to walk we'd walk to the end of the block and back and be done. We don't have any bikes (we probably will when my daughter gets older) so for now it's WALKS! not BIKES! Our hyperactive-never-wants-to-sleep-ever-cant-sit-still-long-enough-to-eat-go-go-go toddler is calm and quiet and loves it too. It's a time when she can be moving or active while also relaxing in the stroller.

I really don't understand people when it comes to adhd meds sometimes. Talking about drugging your children with a medicine that has been prescribed to them by a doctor for a problem you thought was bad enough to take them to a doctor for.

Adderall has been a tremendous thing in my life. I wish someone had noticed back in elementary school when I was scoring in the 90-99th percentile in everything on those ISTEP tests or whatever and getting sent to the principle's office for drawing naked women at school. But nope, found out at 26 after I had tried and failed miserably at college. I owe so goddamned much money from school loans It'll be passed down to my heirs for 4 generations.

Young children can have add/adhd tendacies and they can have add/adhd. Patience, structure, and sometimes Xanax (for you! not the kid! jeez!) can help both of those. What age is appropriate for certain meds is a topic of discussion and concern for any parent. I would say find a doctor whose opinion you trust and use that as well as your own personal opinion and find something that feels comfortable to you but ignoring meds entirely while they are under your care seems like abuse to me and as someone who has lived through it could tell you.

Adderall does not change who you are. It actually helps you be more of yourself and be more of who/what you want to be. To me, the most important thing is being a father and it was important to me before too but now I can be the Daddy I want to be. It's almost like before I was trying to do everything with one hand tied behind my back.

On some days I am like a boulder and it's hard to get rolling but once I do, good luck stopping me. I'd say pre-Adderall I was like a boulder and you could rock it back and forth it but it rarely moved past that.

Of course it's not all the meds. You have to make the decision and the effort to do things but it's sure a lot easier. I got rid of huge amounts of trash and junk last month. I don't have anything to put in the garage sale we're having on Friday, I see that as a good thing. A cluttered house will make your mind cluttered (isn't that an old saying?). Computer areas need to have only the stuff you need there. No books, mail, papers, etc. Mail is easy clutter to get rid of. Throw away junk before you even set it down on the counter.

Also, keep reading and talking and learning more about ADD/ADHD. Then teach it to whoever wants to know and bitch slap ignorant people with your knowledge when necessary (this is not aimed at anyone here, but for people who think it doesn't exist or whatever).

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I posted this in the TCC thread but maybe someone here can offer personal experience: I'm switching from 30mg dexedrine (I take 3x5mg twice a day) to up to 30mg of adderall. I have a prescription for 10mg of adderall and can take up to 3 a day as needed. Are there any noticeable differences I should expect?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I grind my teeth/bite my lips incessantly on 20mg/day. I just carry chapstick. I get super cranky once it wears off.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Lackadaisical posted:

I posted this in the TCC thread but maybe someone here can offer personal experience: I'm switching from 30mg dexedrine (I take 3x5mg twice a day) to up to 30mg of adderall. I have a prescription for 10mg of adderall and can take up to 3 a day as needed. Are there any noticeable differences I should expect?

The Adderall affected my moods where the Dexedrine didn't. When it was in my system, I got noticeably happier, and when it wore off, I got irritable and sad. On higher doses, it nearly made me suicidal. However, your experiences may be wildly different than mine. Good luck on the meds switch.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Everyone reacts differently to different meds.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

TheBigBad posted:

Everyone reacts differently to different meds.

Speaking of meds, I just got and am trying Vyvanse for the first time. 20 mg, once a day, in the morning. It's been 30 minutes and nothing drastic has happened yet (no breathing difficulties, haven't summoned a Weregoat, etc.). However, 'Go, Diego, Go!' on television is now just *fascinating*.

You rescue that flamingo, Diego!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Finally got paid and got my adderall yesterday. It was like magic. Bad mood dissipated, wasn't bordering on suicidal, relaxed a bit, and calmed the hell down.

Naturally, I forgot my dose at home this morning :downs:

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

So my doctor put me on Strattera, 20mg a day. Sadly, the only change I noticed was that I started stuttering. Anyone else get that side effect? I've stopped taking it, and it's gotten a little better, but not much.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

2508084 posted:

Finally got paid and got my adderall yesterday. It was like magic. Bad mood dissipated, wasn't bordering on suicidal, relaxed a bit, and calmed the hell down.

Naturally, I forgot my dose at home this morning :downs:

I carry a small pill pouch with an extra pill or 2 just in case of this. You can get them about any drug store or walmart but I think the Walgreen's or CVS brand is the best, they are a thicker plastic than the generic one. The pouches are smaller than a dollar bill folded in half so they fit in any pocket.

I put a small sticker (the one that comes on the paper stapled to the bag with the script when you get it and your name that has the prescription ) on the pouch then tape over both sides with packaging tape and it's more durable. I can use one of these for 3-4 months. Without the tape over it the information gets worn off after awhile.

You have just a few pills so there's no bulky rattling bottle in your pocket and proof of your script if you needed it. I have 2 scripts I do this with and I keep them together with a money clip.

You can fit probably 10 or so if you wanted but I do about 1 or 2 just in case I somehow lost the pouch.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

ADHD Thread posted:

Pillbox Chat

This is my pillbox. :j: I also have a bunch of CVS bill boxes (like $4/ea for decorative, non-geriatric looking pretty pill boxes) that are made of some metal that sticks to magnets, so there's two of them always filled with a day's worth of dosage to grab off of the fridge for mornings when I do not think I have time to get pills packed.

I'm not too paranoid about proof of prescription anymore since they can call to verify controlled substance scripts, I am not carrying around a recreational or sellable amount of the drugs and if they really wanna waste my time over this poo poo if I get stopped and flat out tell them when/if asked that I have my ADHD meds then their time gets wasted too.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I just put a few in a zipper part of my wallet that I don't use, I just forgot to do it last night

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I just put it in an old pill container that has the same prescription on it. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry if I ever get stopped or searched. Plus, I go to shows at a couple of clubs which have had bad drug issues and thus high security, and the last thing I need is my Dex confiscated because they think I'm going to snort it or sell it.

And now, preliminary trip report! The Vyvanse is a lot easier on my system, and didn't cause any rebound elasticity that I could feel. (though I also used my crutches all day, which could have also made a difference). Attention span was still improved, but also not the laser focus I WILL CODE SQL FOR FOUR HOURS STRAIGHT :stare: that I sometimes got on the Dex. Also didn't feel much weirdness with emotions; they all felt on an 'even keel' despite an emotionally trying night. (ah, the trials of being a soccer fan.) I no longer feel as 'driven' to do stuff, either, which I also consider a bit of an improvement; I just realized that the Dex was also putting me in a mindset of MUST STUDY AND WORK ALL THE TIME, and that's no fun.

And sorry for potential errors, I'm posting this on my new :siren: iPad :siren:, and I'm still getting used to it.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Here's my pill box. I put a few pills in it and keep it in my bag at all times, just in case.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YAC4GQztL.jpg

The picture is enlarged. It's not really that big.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
i bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EZT9S8

because if Im without my keys I got bigger problems than not having taken my adderall.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

2508084 posted:

i bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EZT9S8

because if Im without my keys I got bigger problems than not having taken my adderall.

I actually have one of those on my keychain. I carry in it some Baclofen, some Claritin, and a Tylenol capsule. They are massively useful.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

I just started reading Delivered from Distraction, as has my wife. She is of course ahead of me in the book so I guess that will both be nice and annoying.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

TheBigBad posted:

I just started reading Delivered from Distraction, as has my wife. She is of course ahead of me in the book so I guess that will both be nice and annoying.

Pretty good book, I haven't come close to finishing it yet. I was looking at Answers to Distraction the other day at the bookstore and that was interesting. The entire book is people asking questions and him answering them.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Concerta is generic now. :10bux:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
My psych's RN said that Adderall has "coupons." They can pay 10$ of your meds, or up to X dollars before you have to pay anything (i.e. if they pay up to 30$ and the pills cost 27$, you pay nothing). She didn't have many details, but poo poo, anything helps. I'm assuming it includes the generic for adderall since, you know, this is a low income clinic. Its not like any of us can afford Brand Name.

Its something :unsmith:

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I don't even know what I'm doing with myself anymore. Pretty much got pressured into quitting my job, because the fucks wouldn't fire me for whatever reason, otherwise they would have canned me weeks ago. While it is probably a good thing I am not working there anymore, as it was just destroying me, I am now living on savings. Savings can last me a few months, but they are finite, and I would like to have something left over whenever I do land a new job.

Now, the above is only half of the problem. My roommate just wound up quitting his job because poo poo got really bad over there, and the CEO wanted people to work 12 hour days for no extra money, and without overtime pay. He is far less financially stable than I am, and unless he gets a job in the next 5 days or so, we will need to give 30 days notice and move out. Since I don't have any real attachment to LA, and to be honest I don't particularly enjoy living here, I have to make a decision between staying here, or moving back in with my parents temporarily while I look for a job anywhere else. Part of me knows the safest bet is to go live with my parents and look for work so I can preserve my savings, but the other part of me wants to be self reliant and prove to myself that this last job was genuinely a fluke, and not just a continuation of my history of self-sabotage. If I stay in LA, I will need to find a different place, as I wont be able to afford living in my current apartment. If I do that, I am committed to finding work, which means I have to find something in the next two months, and in addition to finding work I will need to find a place to live. If I don't find work, I will have to move out, so I have no idea what to do about housing in that case.

I haven't brought this up with my parents yet, because my birthday is at the end of the week, and will be going up to see them. I don't want to be deceitful and not mention the fact I still have a job, because I'm sure they will ask me about it, but I don't want to bring it up because I don't want to burden them before the party.

This isn't even fair, I tried so loving hard and poo poo fell apart again anyway. I haven't even been doing poo poo the last few days, let alone applying for new jobs, because I thought I had another job in the bag that I never heard back from, and now I am paralyzed by indecision. I have some other ideas in mind like traveling on the cheap, relying on savings as I need to but mostly working as I travel around, or going back to school, but both of these feel like cop-out answers. What do you ADHD goons think I should do?

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

2508084 posted:

My psych's RN said that Adderall has "coupons." They can pay 10$ of your meds, or up to X dollars before you have to pay anything (i.e. if they pay up to 30$ and the pills cost 27$, you pay nothing). She didn't have many details, but poo poo, anything helps. I'm assuming it includes the generic for adderall since, you know, this is a low income clinic. Its not like any of us can afford Brand Name.

Its something :unsmith:

I havent been able to find anything on that, have you?

TheGopher posted:

What do you ADHD goons think I should do?

Talk with them about your plan, so if it falls through it won't be a big surprise to them if you did need to stay there awhile. They might be willing to help in other ways, like a loan or something, but let them come up with that idea.

Wartime Consigliere fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 24, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Life with ADHD is complicated enough without adding deceit into the mix. I wouldn't let them say anything judgmental without something constructive to add. Use the phrase- "How is that helpful?"

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
It's not so much that my parents will be judgmental so much as that I will have disappointed them, in a way. They always tell me how happy and proud they are of me, because I've managed to rise up and be successful in a way they felt like wasn't going to happen, and now I'm essentially back to square one. I feel pretty stupid about the whole thing right now, but when I bring my parents into the mix I'm crushing the tacit expectations they have for me, with what appears to be another failure.

e/n bullshit below:

I keep telling myself that this job wasn't the same, that they treated me like an inferior, because to them I was a child (I was significantly younger than everybody else there) and my boss increasingly became more and more controlling and micromanaging of me on a minute-to-minute level. There was no structure to my job, much less a clearly defined job description, and the company "policies" only ever mentioned verbally changed dramatically on a daily basis. The only perk to my job was that I was getting paid salary and a few words on my resume saying I had professional experience with computers. I wasn't actually learning anything, and I was constantly relinquished to doing work I could write a script to do, but was explicitly prohibited from doing so for no reason other than my boss was a stubborn technophobe. There was no opportunity to take pride in my work, I was frankly embarrassed by the software my company sold, and there was no possibility for any kind of pay increase or learning.

Even with all of that working against me, I did manage to hold down this job for longer than my previous few jobs, but still short of a year. I want to say this time was different, this job really leveled the odds against me but I know in the past I said the same thing. I don't even know anymore if this job were actually different, or if it just feels like it because I'm older and ran into a new set of problems. Either way it feels like even if I do land a new job quickly and stick around LA, failure is inevitable, and I ask myself, "Why am I even trying?"

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

TheGopher posted:

Either way it feels like even if I do land a new job quickly and stick around LA, failure is inevitable, and I ask myself, "Why am I even trying?"

I hate the "It's not how many times you fall down, it's how many times you get up." quote so I'll say use your ADHD stubborn-ness to not give up.

It sounds like there are a few things you learned from your last job you can use when looking for a new one. Find one with the structure, clear job description, and everything else you need.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The other important aspect is to not hinge your self evaluation on what has been said in the past, or done in the past. Many people have ADH traits, it becomes a disorder when it negatively effects your life. So now that you've managed to hit a milestone- that's it. You worked past a new set of problems successfully. That's it... that's normal life. Another trait of ADHD is that we use old solutions that clearly don't work- over and over. Finding new solutions is a huge accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG
After being on the adderall for a few weeks and not being able to sleep, its now doing the opposite to me. I feel exhausted when I take it. I'm only on 10mg 3 times a day, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with daytrana as an adult.

Last december I had a gastric bypass and have lost a ton of weight, but a negative is that I can't do time release medications and some go right through me. I'm thinking the adderall is absorbing and leaving too fast because of this, and a patch sounds like a better way to go. However, its only approved for children, so I'm wondering if anyone has had their insurance cover it as an adult?