Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

Could someone recommend me an rpg with a fun battle system? I really liked Valkyrie Profile's battle system, it was actually fun to fight not a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K-Flow posted:

Could someone recommend me an rpg with a fun battle system? I really liked Valkyrie Profile's battle system, it was actually fun to fight not a chore.
The Tales of series? It has the added benefit of most of the series being multiplayer too, in a way that actually works.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Star Ocean has a good ARPG battle system, I've heard its similar to the Tales series, haven't played one of their games though.
Radiant Historia has a fun almost SRPG system where you move enemies around on the field to try and line them on top of eachother so you can line combos, really fun.
The Persona series has a good battle system because it relies heavily on magie/buffs/debuffs and isn't your average "press attack 4 times" battles. I've had my character at max level and still not been able to beat enemies relying only on physical attacks.
Eternal Sonata has a good system as well, and a unique block option.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Endorph posted:

The Tales of series? It has the added benefit of most of the series being multiplayer too, in a way that actually works.

I've been trying to play Tales of Vesperia, and I don't quite get the battle system being 'fun'. I've played in pretty far before, though I've never finished, and the combat seems to amount to "B B B A-plus-some-direction Repeat". I mean yeah there seem to be lots of OPTIONS, but none appear to be all that meaningful.

I'm on the hunt for some sort of more recent JRPG to consume my time but drat the pickings are slim :(

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I never see many people talk about it, but I always liked Baten Kaitos's battle system. Card poo poo always appeals to me, and it makes you think on your feet a bit. Game works nicely on emulators too.

I enjoyed the battles in Shadow Hearts 2 as well. The wheel was kind of a neat gimmick, instead of your average 'press attack' button.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

casual poster posted:

Star Ocean has a good ARPG battle system, I've heard its similar to the Tales series, haven't played one of their games though.
Well with Star Ocean, you have two options:
1) Breakable as hell and you will be literally invincible
2) Broken as hell and will kick your rear end in the most un-fun way possible

Some people like breakable as hell. I do, but unfortunately this is only really present in SO1 and SO2, unless you want to use characters you hate. Which I don't.

quote:

Eternal Sonata has a good system as well, and a unique block option.
Yeah, sure, it's a great system. If you like hoping that the game will bring up the spell you want before your turn timer runs out. And if you can bear Chopinime shouting COOP DE GRACE!

Also credit where it's due, the block-prompt is basically an unrefined lift from Super Mario RPG, except it was an option for players with good timing and hand-eye coordination in SMRPG. Eternal Sonata requires you to block, or you will end up half-dead every encounter and spend ten minutes keeping one last enemy alive so you can cast healing because getting money to, y'know, do stuff as simple as buy healing items is loving impossible in that piece of poo poo game unless you want to waste a round hoping you'll get a photo of an enemy, and waste a slot in your party by using that hideously annoying bitch boy.

Sorry, ES is just a loving horrible game. Even its battle system, which it is sometimes hailed for, is a piece of mouldering dog poo poo.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 14, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

K-Flow posted:

That depends on what you consider fun. I find turn-based systems fun, and enjoy the micromanagement. It's a little odd to just ask for a "fun battle system". But since what you probably meant was an action-rpg style, I'd recommend Star Ocean. I found it enjoyable for however long I could stand to play it.

Whether or not you'll like the story depends on how much you can tolerate having an interesting space opera setting, which is quickly thrown out the window for swords and stuff. Despite the world-building they did.

I know a lot of people like Tales, but I can't really stand the series, so I try to avoid making comments on it. You may like it, though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ledneh posted:

I've played in pretty far before, though I've never finished, and the combat seems to amount to "B B B A-plus-some-direction Repeat".

It can be. Or you can be insane and do something like this. Judith ver. / Estelle ver. / Blah blah blah ver.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

S-Alpha posted:

That depends on what you consider fun. I find turn-based systems fun, and enjoy the micromanagement. It's a little odd to just ask for a "fun battle system". But since what you probably meant was an action-rpg style, I'd recommend Star Ocean. I found it enjoyable for however long I could stand to play it.

Whether or not you'll like the story depends on how much you can tolerate having an interesting space opera setting, which is quickly thrown out the window for swords and stuff. Despite the world-building they did.

I know a lot of people like Tales, but I can't really stand the series, so I try to avoid making comments on it. You may like it, though.

Star Ocean 2 brings the space opera right back at the midpoint, though you don't do a whole lot of planet hopping.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Stelas posted:

It can be. Or you can be insane and do something like this. Judith ver. / Estelle ver. / Blah blah blah ver.

Somehow that just makes it worse knowing that he edited out many many trips to the menu to make those :(

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ledneh posted:

Somehow that just makes it worse knowing that he edited out many many trips to the menu to make those :(

I guess so, but that's only because he was switching around his skill configs. Even with four skills equipped you can really get some very silly combos going. Tales of Graces is said to be even more fluid and smooth; I haven't played much myself but it sure looks it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Lately I've gotten a strange urge to go back and play old SNES RPGs that I either only touched briefly on or rented once in my childhood. The past couple of days I've been slowly chipping my way through an obscure one called Arcana.

As far as positives go, they have an interesting (for the time, I guess) way of handling your main character's special abilities. Instead of him learning attack magic, he can use elemental cards to cast spells of varying power based on how many cards he uses, and they're dirt-cheap from any town & found in dungeons all the time to boot. Want to cast max level fireball on a group of lowly slimes from the get go? Go ahead!

Another thing your main char gets are spirits in your party. You start with one and unlock more as you progress through the game. They more often than not serve as little else but elemental mages but you can cycle through them in and out of battle as needed.

Of course, being an early 90s JRPG/dungeon crawler it has its quirks.

-Encounter rate that teeters on the edge of being schizophrenic sometimes. ("Let me just reorient myself to face down this corridor and OH gently caress DRAGONS!")
-Dungeon designs that are increasingly misleading with taking you down long twisting hallways with nothing to show for it except a depleted inventory. (The ice mine in chapter 3 is a real rear end in a top hat about this.)
-Characters leaving your party right after boss battles, sometimes not far from another one.
-Characters that join your party in the middle of a dungeon and never have gear on them when they do. Hope you enjoy re-climbing 12 floors of that tower after warping back to the weapon shop.

Despite those shortcomings I've learned to see through them and I'm at the start of the final chapter now. Overall it's not too bad and I can see myself tinkering with it a bit more after I've completed it. Honestly, the card system makes it a wee bit too easy to slaughter groups early on. (low-level run, anyone?)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Star Ocean 2 brings the space opera right back at the midpoint, though you don't do a whole lot of planet hopping.

My introduction to the series came in the form of SO3. I was drawn in by the opening, seeing how the technology evolved, and seeing the lush, future version of Earth, with some incredible sights like Future New York and Future Paris. I was very, very pleased with what I saw there.

And then I'm dropped off on a resort planet, which was interesting enough. And they spend a fair amount of time setting up the universe and all that fun stuff, which was interesting/cool to read about in the comprehensive guide. Then they just dump you the gently caress off on an underdeveloped planet and say 'have fun'. After powering through more underdeveloped planets, I just stopped caring. It just seemed like such a wasted opportunity to me. I tried SO4 for a while, too. But the less I say about that, the better.

Thank God Xenosaga came into my possession after that. It's exactly what I was expecting from SO3. But I'm not really a paragon of good taste, so hey.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

iastudent posted:

Lately I've gotten a strange urge to go back and play old SNES RPGs that I either only touched briefly on or rented once in my childhood. The past couple of days I've been slowly chipping my way through an obscure one called Arcana.

I think Arcana rules, but I also have a massive hard-on for dungeon crawlers. When you were running through some of its faults, I felt like you missed a big one:

- If any character in your party (except for your elemental summon) dies at any point, it is game over.

Which kind of ties in to the point you made about characters joining while you're rear end-deep in a dungeon and not coming equipped with anything. Let's hope the computer doesn't want them dead, because this dillhole that just joined the party could ruin your whole day by getting his poo poo pushed in and sending the whole team packing.

I've never thought of it as an obscure game, but I guess that's just because I've owned it for, like... goddamn, almost near two decades now?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Sorry, ES is just a loving horrible game. Even its battle system, which it is sometimes hailed for, is a piece of mouldering dog poo poo.

Thank you. I can't believe people praise that battle system, it's literally the same thing every fight. Hit attack until your turn is over, maybe do a spell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stelas posted:

Even with four skills equipped you can really get some very silly combos going.
And in Tales of Vesperia you have the shortcut system which lets you basically have 8 skills equipped, since the AI is usually smart enough that you don't need to tell them to do anything.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Timely Howard posted:

I think Arcana rules, but I also have a massive hard-on for dungeon crawlers. When you were running through some of its faults, I felt like you missed a big one:

- If any character in your party (except for your elemental summon) dies at any point, it is game over.

Haha yeah, I forgot about that one. That makes focus fires from enemies real fun.

And another odd thing involving characters joining with a complete lack of equipment. At the end of chapter 3 a party member leaves you and you're forced to fight a boss with just you and your summon. At the beginning of the next chapter right afterwards, the same party member joins back up but you have to re-equip everything he had before.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
How do you guys find the time to play through your RPG's? Ever since I got a fulltime job, girlfriend and started working out my gaming time (for rpg's atleast) has gone down to about a hour a day.
How do you guys keep up with it?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

casual poster posted:

How do you guys find the time to play through your RPG's? Ever since I got a fulltime job, girlfriend and started working out my gaming time (for rpg's atleast) has gone down to about a hour a day.

I tend to lay in bed before going to sleep and play RPGs on the DS and PSP. It's pretty hard to sit down and play games nowadays with a wife, home, and a kid with another on the way. Fortunately there are a ton of amazing games on the DS and PSP. I am currently playing Radiant Historia (DS) and the new Tactics Ogre (PSP).

Buelle
Mar 30, 2011

Let me tell you why that's full of holes.

casual poster posted:

By prioritizing.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

casual poster posted:

Being in college. (and only having class three days a week)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

And in Tales of Vesperia you have the shortcut system which lets you basically have 8 skills equipped, since the AI is usually smart enough that you don't need to tell them to do anything.

That I didn't realize. That might help somewhat--I'd always assigned RS to other characters, I didn't even think of assigning it to Yuri. :(

After reading a bit about it last night, however, I'm somewhat interested in trying out The Witcher, so now I need to decide between these two games this weekend :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

casual poster posted:

In short: it's impossible. My backlog of RPGs is well over 50 by now. The only reason I finished Fallout 3 was because I was recovering from an operation for a few weeks back then. I would like to be playing Mass Effect (which I bought when it came out and haven't touched) but I only have time for Peggle and The Incredible Machine these days :(

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

casual poster posted:

For console games? It takes time. A LOT of time

But Handheld games? I'm lucky enough to have a fullltime job where for a good 3 hours is used for gaming time. So it's like 15 hours a week I can put into them, and that's IF I decide not to play my handheld games at home.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

casual poster posted:

Me too, I have maybe an hour a day, sometimes two. Nothing wrong with that, it's good that you have a life. I've just been buying fewer games and selling the ones in my backlog that I know deep down I won't ever get around to. It's nice though since you only ever end up playing the stuff you like best.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Me too, I have maybe an hour a day, sometimes two. Nothing wrong with that, it's good that you have a life. I've just been buying fewer games and selling the ones in my backlog that I know deep down I won't ever get around to. It's nice though since you only ever end up playing the stuff you like best.

The thing is, though, that a lot of the time, especially with Japanese games, you won't really know which ones are good and which ones are poo poo before playing for several hours. There are exceptions, of course.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Jerry Cotton posted:

The thing is, though, that a lot of the time, especially with Japanese games, you won't really know which ones are good and which ones are poo poo before playing for several hours. There are exceptions, of course.

That's what goons are for. Odds are that, no matter the game, someone on the forums has already beaten it and can tell you if it's worth slogging through.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

K-Flow posted:

The most fun battle system in an RPG I've played is Grandia 2. It uses a battle timer system where you get to see what everyone has queued up and what they are about to do. Some skills come out faster and some take longer to do. Plus the important thing is you can use ability that interrupt and cancel their attack. Normal attacks also delay their attack if I remember correctly. It's pretty fun and strategic and makes you plan out what you want to do.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ice Blue posted:

The most fun battle system in an RPG I've played is Grandia 2. It uses a battle timer system where you get to see what everyone has queued up and what they are about to do. Some skills come out faster and some take longer to do. Plus the important thing is you can use ability that interrupt and cancel their attack. Normal attacks also delay their attack if I remember correctly. It's pretty fun and strategic and makes you plan out what you want to do.

Kinda like FFX - the best was when you got all hasted up, and the entire 6-7 next moves are all your people.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

That's what goons are for. Odds are that, no matter the game, someone on the forums has already beaten it and can tell you if it's worth slogging through.

But then you really got to hope that everyone is being superduper serious when they say Hyperdimension Neptunia is worth every penny they paid for it. :v:

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Devor posted:

Kinda like FFX - the best was when you got all hasted up, and the entire 6-7 next moves are all your people.
In Grandia 2 having Haste was so satsifying. What I like about Grandia 2 isn't the whole uber, I get tons of turns poo poo, but that you had incentive to plan out your battles. And the game got pretty hard sometimes. The fact that you can see how the turns work make it have much more meaning than "hay I get 4 extra moves than the bad guys".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I liked the first one's system better as they toned down your ability to manipulate turns quite a bit in the sequel. Nearly every skill had some amount of delay on hit, which would more or less amount to resetting turns if you hit a weakness or a crit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ledneh posted:

That I didn't realize. That might help somewhat--I'd always assigned RS to other characters, I didn't even think of assigning it to Yuri. :(
Also also, remember that you don't HAVE to play as Yuri. You can switch your control to any other member of the party if you want. That can be a nice change of pace.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Fumaofthelake posted:

I've heard the game is a bit broken (not going to stop me from buying though, I think) in terms of some classes/races being useless and some bugs or something. Is this anything to even be worried about? Are there fan patches and poo poo around?

The only real issue I have with it is that the UI is pretty bad and takes a bit of getting used to. That's about it... there is plenty of fan stuff around to change the UI and other things. The game isn't that buggy either, I've never had a problem!

Regarding classes/races some of the combinations are pretty retarded. Just read the description before you set yourself up and you should be fine :downs:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ice Blue posted:

The most fun battle system in an RPG I've played is Grandia 2. It uses a battle timer system where you get to see what everyone has queued up and what they are about to do. Some skills come out faster and some take longer to do.

Hell yes. Well, if you're really familiarized with how the system works, then you can really start abusing it and it becomes more "oh poo poo, can I do this do this boss?" rather than "oh poo poo, can I even beat this boss?"

It was challenging and satisfying to fight Melfice without even letting him act once.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

casual poster posted:

I don't it took me 4 months to beat Mass Effect 2

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Black Stones posted:

But then you really got to hope that everyone is being superduper serious when they say Hyperdimension Neptunia is worth every penny they paid for it. :v:

I'd be worried about this if goons didn't love bitching about video games so much.

But yeah, being an adult sucks because you can finally afford to pick up every game you want but you don't have the time to play them all. Better than being 11 and having to replay a bad game over and over until your birthday rolls around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

But yeah, being an adult sucks because you can finally afford to pick up every game you want but you don't have the time to play them all. Better than being 11 and having to replay a bad game over and over until your birthday rolls around.

I played Hack, Omega, and Dragon Wars as a kid for something like five years because they were all I had, RPG-wise - and because I sucked at them so it took me a while to finish them. The problem with the great majority of so-called RPGs is that they are designed in a way that makes it really difficult to just play for 1-2 hours a day because everything overlaps. Just do one quest? Not going to happen, to complete The Deliverance of a Delivery you need the butt hair of Gormozorgogormoth and The Shaving of Gormozorgogormoth is another quest, which requires etc.

On the other hand, if it's a less convoluted dungeon crawl-type of thing, it's always "I'll just go down those one stairs even though it's already 5:00". Gamers just can't win :(

Also, Dragon Wars is a great game, at least the PC version.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Can somebody tell me a good way to get through the first part of the Witcher? I know I will end up loving this game, but the tutorial/start really don't grab me yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Also also, remember that you don't HAVE to play as Yuri. You can switch your control to any other member of the party if you want. That can be a nice change of pace.

Raven, Judith and Rita are much more fun, imo. Yuri's perfect for learning the system with though.