Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I laughed at the absurdity of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Oben posted:

928 - Walks to the dressing room
929 - Warms up
930 - Puts his gloves on
931 - Leaves the dressing room
932 - Walks to the ring
933 - Bell rings
934 - Stands still
935 - Stands still

At this point, you really don't even need to spoiler that last part.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

surgical scar posted:

Plus, apparently he's building up power in his leading hand? Prepare yourselves for the world's most powerful jab! In about 13 more chapters!

I know it's way too late to complain about realism in this manga, but how the gently caress is he "building up power"? Is Ippo officially the world's smallest giant robot now?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
What are the odds the punch is thrown at the beginning of the next chapter but doesn't connect before the end? Pretty good I'll bet.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
I have hope, its going to be 12 chapters of a face-off and then ippo punches him so hard he dies with 1 hit

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Morikawa has a death wish, so he will keep doing this same chapter over and over again until one of his fans finally snaps and murders him.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All this manga needs now is something like endles eight. Making everyone relive the last few chapters again and again for eternity because Ippo is not happy and can't look him in the eyes.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I hope he hits the judge instead of smugface

That way I can imagine the judge actually being a projection of Morikawa since we have no name on the judge.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I don't ever think I've read a chapter of a manga with such speed.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
The biggest problem I have with realism is that THEY HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT EACH OTHER FOR ALMOST THE ENTIRE ROUND WITHOUT MOVING AN INCH

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

tbp posted:

The biggest problem I have with realism is that THEY HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT EACH OTHER FOR ALMOST THE ENTIRE ROUND WITHOUT MOVING AN INCH

They fell in love :swoon:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I don't know what you all are talking about. I love the first round staring contest that starts every real life boxing match.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Next chapter will begin with a reporter asking Ippo, the former champion, how he feels about the fight. He will go for a run without commenting, and then we will find out he actually killed the guy with a single punch and decided to relinquish the title to go after the world.

Pfffft, right.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

You know what, at this point I hope one of them farts and they both start laughing and hug.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rei_ posted:

You know what, at this point I hope one of them farts and they both start laughing and hug.
I think Morikawa is using this awful setup to trick us into thinking the slogfest this fight will turn into isn't as long as it really is.

"Long? Horrible? What are you talking about? The fight's barely twice as many chapters longer than the leadup!"

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
We really should start a Hajime no Ippo Battered Wives Club. We'll meet in a church on the wrong side of the tracks, serve crappy coffee and cookies from a tin, and reminisce about the good times, when Morikawa didn't slap us over and over for chapter upon chapter, when he would actually advance the plot at a reasonable pace.

Then we'll all break down crying and console each other.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
It's been 41 pages (counting 2 page spreads as 1 page) since the bell rang, and nothing has happened. What's really pissing me off is the really lovely way Morikawa is trying guide the readers emotions. After two and a half chapters, Morikawa has the audacity to tell us "wow, look at all this nothing happening, this is really increasing the tension, isn't it *wink wink nudge*?"

I hate this man.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Stop overreacting, Ippo knows what he is doing. See, he figured out his opponent's weakness- staring contests and uncomfortable silences. Dude is hosed now!

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

pnumoman posted:

We really should start a Hajime no Ippo Battered Wives Club. We'll meet in a church on the wrong side of the tracks, serve crappy coffee and cookies from a tin, and reminisce about the good times, when Morikawa didn't slap us over and over for chapter upon chapter, when he would actually advance the plot at a reasonable pace.

Then we'll all break down crying and console each other.

I've got the perfect name for it:

"Take back the fight"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm kinda hoping someone in the crowd will just throw a bottle through one of their heads, like in that one Achewood.

If ... if that's even still going.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Die Mori. Die a horrible loving death. Seriously how can you do this and still have a job?

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
I'm enjoying the suffering that latest chapters are causing. Mori is hyping up something amazing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Flergatron 3000 posted:

Mori is hyping up something amazing.

Nope.

Flergatron 3000 posted:

I'm enjoying the suffering that latest chapters are causing.

Yep.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 936

EDIT: He's moving!

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 24, 2011

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Why does it take a whole chapter to do one thing? Do we really need pages and pages of commentary in between? Jesus Christ.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

What are the odds the punch is thrown at the beginning of the next chapter but doesn't connect before the end? Pretty good I'll bet.

Looks like I was wrong, didn't even throw the punch...

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
It has been four chapters since the beginning of this fight and Ippo has only just moved.

gently caress you, Morikawa.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This is infuriating. Why would you do this to your fans?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy loving poo poo, this is unreal!

This reminds me so much of the old captain Tsubasa show where a ball could be in mid-flight for a whole episode while everyone else thinks or yaks away for minutes. Now, In boxing, where people are supposed to talk with their fists, we get this BS. WTF is Morikawa's editor doing?

My prediction: the next chapter won't have any punch connect. It will end with both Ippo's punch and *the counter* crossing each other.

Then, in the next chapter. Both ninjas will cross their swords in mid air and land facing away from each other, their swords in hand, apparently unharmed, only for one to slowly and dramatically fall to the ground.

It will be completely hilarious if this fight continues after the first exchange. "I misjudged Ippo's punch speed but the next counter will get him!" "It seems like that guy has managed to adapt to Ippo's speed, which will make the counter really powerful" "But Ippo should have already figured out his plan, will he try to punch again?" "If I punch him then he will try to counter. he belongs to a higher weight class, should I punch *again*?"

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I don't even know what to say anymore. This is about 100x worse than Endless Eight could ever want to be.

Twobits
Apr 30, 2007
Does Morikawa completely ignore all feedback from his fans or something? I'm sure the people in Japan are equally as infuriated. There must be a tons of hate mail being sent his way.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Haha, perhaps Morikawa got feedback from the Woli fight complaining that Ippo got hit too much or made too many unnecessary swings so he went the opposite direction for this fight.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Hey, it took two whole chapters for him to clench his fist before, I'd say this chapter is an improvement since he took two whole steps!

trucutru posted:

Then, in the next chapter. Both ninjas will cross their swords in mid air and land facing away from each other, their swords in hand, apparently unharmed, only for one to slowly and dramatically fall to the ground.
And in the chapter after that: The ninja that is still standing will say "Splendid!" right before the fountain of blood erupts from his chest splitting in two.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Jesus christ really? Another chapter with nothing happening? This is infuriating.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Twobits posted:

Does Morikawa completely ignore all feedback from his fans or something? I'm sure the people in Japan are equally as infuriated. There must be a tons of hate mail being sent his way.
Going by reactions of 2ch their biggest interest right now is how Ricardo would smash in George's face if they met. I'd say they are rather pissed too.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
So at this point, I'm so angry I've circled around and now I think this is hilarious.

Anyone wanna take bets on whether the next chapter will have an actual punch? I say no; I'm smelling an entire chapter of a dramatic crowd reaction to something that we'll see two chapters from now...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm betting that there will be a timeskip starting right before the first punch lands. Nothing will really change post-timeskip. Ippo will remain the national champion, stuck in a passionless pseudo-relationship with Kumi. Only, no one will ever mention the current fight again. If the word weakness is ever brought up in Ippo's presence, it will be in relation to Ippo's weakness for a good sandwich.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The only thing that can save this fight now is a miscarriage subplot with Kojima's wife. It will also confirm a theory I have...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pnumoman posted:

So at this point, I'm so angry I've circled around and now I think this is hilarious.

Anyone wanna take bets on whether the next chapter will have an actual punch? I say no; I'm smelling an entire chapter of a dramatic crowd reaction to something that we'll see two chapters from now...

I was completely serious when I said that the next chapter will finish with both punch and counter flying into each others face. So nope, no actual punch connecting.